• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Dartastic

As for the throttling, eh. I'd rather be throttled than get charged overage fees into oblivion.

Still looking for some feedback on the rubbing alcohol q-tip thing. :/ I also didn't think I'd be too bothered by the 30-pin to lightning adapter, but I'm actually looking into it now, and thirty dollars for that thing is a rip off. Seriously. I shouldn't have to spend 30 dollars just to get my existing devices to work with my new phone.

Aurizen

iphoen5unboxing2.jpg

iphoen5unboxing3.jpg

Own these and I love them. Great sound for the price.

Same. But the build quality is "meh". Had two pair of them get frayed/rip near the input plug. Fortunately I bought em from Best Buy and tossed the replacement plan on em so I ended up just getting the same exact pair knowing they'll last me a little over a year of normal use.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
my iPhone is sitting in Concord, ON

That's like 15 mins from my house

So close.....

They shipping UPS or fedex in canada? I haven't been able to get my reference info working on either :( My apple.ca still says preparing for shipment.. boooo

It's 5 GB now, which is nothing to sneeze at. But if the network is completely congested, then it doesn't matter either way.

If there's a cap, it's not "unlimited". It's 5gb. Which is ok. With LTE I'll end up chewing through that easily. But I gave up my unlimited plan for tethering long ago.

Fjordson

Same. But the build quality is "meh". Had two pair of them get frayed/rip near the input plug. Fortunately I bought em from Best Buy and tossed the replacement plan on em so I ended up just getting the same exact pair knowing they'll last me a little over a year of normal use.
Funny you mention this, I actually had some problems with my S4i's as well.

I have a pair of mediocre headphones that I use when I go running, but all my other pairs are handled extremely carefully with kid gloves and are pretty much only used when I'm at home. Despite that, the right earphone on my pair inexplicably crapped out on me after about five months. Pretty disappointing since I did like how they sounded.

Anyways, these new "pods" or whatever they're called have be better than the previous ones. Those were so amazingly uncomfortable. Tried using 'em a few times when I got my first iPhone, but permanently gave up rather quickly.

You can still use data after 5GB, they'll just cut your speed. So technically it's still unlimited data.
I'll take real-world experience over what's "technically" possible any day. They can say unlimited all they like, but the fact is that it IS limited in a very real way. Speed is as important as quantity, if not moreso.

You can still use data after 5GB, they'll just cut your speed. So technically it's still unlimited data.

That's called "limiting". So it's limited unlimited data after 5GB....?

C'mon. I used to hit my cap every month on "unlimited". Nothing "unlimited" about it.

I mean those plans are still worth it price wise. But let's not go too far in claiming they're without limits.

That's called "limiting". So it's limited unlimited data after 5GB....?

C'mon. I used to hit my cap every month on "unlimited". Nothing "unlimited" about it.

I mean those plans are still worth it price wise. But let's not go too far in claiming they're without limits.

It's not the same thing though. One makes you pay more when you hit a certain data limit where as the other cuts your speed. It's still unlimited data despite the speed loss. Ya it sucks, but it is still unlimited data.

I'll take real-world experience over what's "technically" possible any day. They can say unlimited all they like, but the fact is that it IS limited in a very real way. Speed is as important as quantity, if not moreso.

I actually don't know what the throttled speeds are. How slow are they? I also think quantity is more important than speed, thus my issue with LTE, but that's another debate.

cnizzle06

Banned
Go into desperate mode and start preparing myself to scour my region for the iPhone 5 or wait and see what's up with the Lumia 920...decisions

It's not the same thing though. One makes you pay more when you hit a certain data limit where as the other cuts your speed. It's still unlimited data despite the speed loss. Ya it sucks, but it is still unlimited data.

Stay with me here: If they are placing LIMITS on the data you're consuming then it is limited. Period. Why we are debating this is beyond me. Now perhaps you don't hit that cap so you really haven't experienced it. But when you can't even stream a song after reaching a preset cap...it's limited dude. It affects what you can do. There are limits imposed.

I actually don't know what the throttled speeds are. How slow are they? I also think quantity is more important than speed, thus my issue with LTE, but that's another debate.

Yea, I figured you didn't. No offense, LMAO....

Near 20 kb/s.

dyls

Stay with me here: If they are placing LIMITS on the data you're consuming then it is limited. Period. Why we are debating this is beyond me. Now perhaps you don't hit that cap so you really haven't experienced it. But when you can't even stream a song after reaching a preset cap...it's limited dude. It affects what you can do. There are limits imposed.

AT&T could've easily used the switch to LTE as an excuse to get rid of the grandfathered unlimited plan. Nothing forced them to keep the plan going even in a bastardized fashion. The contract I and others signed was for two years, and ended long ago. We would've had no recourse had they decided to end the "unlimited" plans. Now I don't kid myself; the only reason they did it was to keep users such as myself for fleeing to Verizon. Nonetheless, you're arguing semantics on a contract that doesn't technically exist anymore. Why not focus the venom on Verizon, who completely dismantled their unlimited plans?

Kaladin

Engadget said:
Naturally, we'd be telling just half the story if we only talked performance. There's an important question that's left: what kind of battery life can you expect? Power is nothing without longevity and, shockingly, the iPhone 5 copes amazingly well. In a day of heavy usage with LTE, GPS and WiFi all enabled, we managed 14 hours and 18 minutes before the phone succumbed to the elements.

On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx.

This is what I needed to hear. Choice of phone vindicated.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
i would never own an iPhone but my 401k would really appreciate it if all of you would buy one, hell buy one for every family member in your house or in other states!

Bgamer90

Banned
"
Naturally, we'd be telling just half the story if we only talked performance. There's an important question that's left: what kind of battery life can you expect? Power is nothing without longevity and, shockingly, the iPhone 5 copes amazingly well. In a day of heavy usage with LTE, GPS and WiFi all enabled, we managed 14 hours and 18 minutes before the phone succumbed to the elements.

On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx."

This is what I needed to hear. Choice of phone vindicated.

YES.

I find it strange that they're not offering a Lightning cable with Thunderbolt support. Also, I agree with everyone here saying that the white version looks better than they thought. That being said I'll definitely be getting the black version.

yami4ct

Fuck Verizon and fuck Apple. This is officially the WORST customer support I've ever had. 1 million times worse than any problems I've had with AT&T. Really considering not switching now.

Top Bottom