• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

hEist

Hold on, you can email Tim Cook your photos?

yes, you can.

rG5j3TX.jpg

and now show me gaf, how good the lens is in low-light conditions.

You're aware that they did announce several new Beats models with the W1 chip?

Yeah, that's what I mean, PB3 for example has the W1; it will be interesting to see what it actually does with it. Like, is it just for pairing or does it provide any kind of power consumption advantage. (Or maybe BT 4.2 alone does?) Hoping Anandtech or someone similar figures that out.

finalflame

It should. iOS is fully color managed and the AV libraries automatically tag the pixel buffer with the correct color space. Colorsync should take the pixel buffer (for instance a Rec. 2020 source) and convert the content to something that fits in the DCI-P3 color space.

You seem to know a thing or two about this, but isn't HDR more than just the enhanced color space? E.g. it's also the display's capabilities to display differing levels of brightness/contrast throughout the image, which if I'm not mistake the iPhone display can't do.

ccbfan

Anyone having some major signal issues on the iphone 7 with Verizon?

I just upgrade my phone last night so this morning is pretty much the only time I've used the new phone.

At first the phone runs fine then suddenly the phone goes from LTE to 3G or no signal at all. I have my work phone which is an iphone 6 on ios 9 and during these time its still on LTE so verizon's signal is not the problem.

The only way to fix the issue is restart the phone then its goes back to LTE.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There is no difference using the 3.5mm adapter, if you use that it's exactly the same as using a headphone jack on an iPhone 6. Where the sound quality increase is supposed to theoretically happen is with headphones that plug directly into the lightning port. Though I don't really see how that could help either, since it's still doing exactly one digital-analogue conversion, just doing it in the headphones rather than the phone.

No difference?

With lightning headphones, the differences will come from the type of DAC used by the headphone + speaker components of the individual headphone of course.

Regarding using the 3.5mm adapter, aren't there plenty of tests here of people A/B testing between the 6/s and 7 showing the 7 is much weaker in terms of soundstage?
If they changed their internal DAC from the 6/s then that is likely it.

That being said, I don't expect 95% of people to notice any difference regardless of how they listen to it.
My phone is just for podcasts anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Lol my iPhone 7 does hiss. It doesn't bother me though the only way I can hear it is if I put the top back of the phone really close to my ear in a dead silent room, and even then it's barely noticeable.

MickD

It's really hard going from the 6+ to 7 with battery in mind. I'm losing a few hours, but getting a 128 hd and a smaller sized phone in my pocket is a-ok. Hated how big the 6+ felt in my pocket.

Speaking on the headphones, they definitely sound muffled and overly bass-y. With the adapter + tma-2 DJ preset "punchy" headphones I notice a big difference with sound being a little over the top in loudness/treble which creates muffling.

I took a shower and played ridiculous fishing yesterday/face timed my gf. I couldn't stop smiling the entire time.

ReAxion

there was this video yesterday of the inline volume and playback controls stopping working if the phone had been locked and not playing music for 5 minutes. Anyone able to reproduce this?

I think this is what's happening occasionally in my car. I use an FM transmitter with Lightning cable. Somewhat randomly and what I'm guessing is 5 minute intervals it totally stops playing audio even though the app I'm using (Overcast) continues playing.

But it's not every 5 minutes.

boxter432

Currently on Sprint with an iphone 6S+, on iphone for life starting last year.

Potentially moving to AT&T with my fiancee as it works at her cabin where we go multiple times a summer (Sprint has no service near there).

Would it be better to upgrade to iphone 7 right now with Sprint and then move to AT&T after or trade in my 6S+ to AT&T to upgrade and move at the same time?

might not be any benefit to either, unsure.

Regarding using the 3.5mm adapter, aren't there plenty of tests here of people A/B testing between the 6/s and 7 showing the 7 is much weaker in terms of soundstage?
If they changed their internal DAC from the 6/s then that is likely it.

That being said, I don't expect 95% of people to notice any difference regardless of how they listen to it.
My phone is just for podcasts anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.

Multiple objective sound measurements and user comparisons have shown the difference is small enough to be imperceptible. This matches my comparisons between my 6 and 7 as well.

In fact, the lightning adapter has one big advantage over the 6s. The output impedance is much lower, meaning people with sensitive IEMs will hear a blacker noise floor.

You seem to know a thing or two about this, but isn't HDR more than just the enhanced color space?

Not really. I mean to the Rec. 2020 standard there's things like 10-bit per pixel color, 4K res min, square pixels but really when it comes down to it is that displays are getting better and we can produce colors we couldn't reliably produce before. Most mainstream displays these days are good for 100% of s.RGB so we can now start to push into wider color.

E.g. it's also the display's capabilities to display differing levels of brightness/contrast throughout the image, which if I'm not mistake the iPhone display can't do.

Well that's basically how you expand the color gamut and display manufacturers have been working on it for decades. The iPhone 7 hitting a brightness peak of ~700 nits and gaining 100% of the DCI-P3 color gamut are not coincidental. Local dimming can help with contrast but when you're working with a screen as small as an iPhone's it's completely unnecessary to get brightness and contrast ratios to where they need to be.

Multiple objective sound measurements and user comparisons have shown the difference is small enough to be imperceptible. This matches my comparisons between my 6 and 7 as well.

In fact, the lightning adapter has one big advantage over the 6s. The output impedance is much lower, meaning people with sensitive IEMs will hear a blacker noise floor.

Yeah, there was a thread about the lower impedance on the 7 adapter vs the 3.5mm jack (4.5 Ohm vs. 0.37 Ohm @ 1 kHz) being noted by a German mag.

If you don't have great ears you may not notice it, and certainly wouldn't notice it unless you did the type of comparison I did. But for those of us that do and care about the audio quality, this is not a great situation. It may eventually be solved by an external lightning DAC module. But that means more $$$ and more inconvenient adapters.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
here's a super rough low light I took... really just wanted to see how an off the cuff low light would show up. You can see it was taken at ~9:20pm.

Yeah, there was a thread about the lower impedance on the 7 adapter vs the 3.5mm jack (4.5 Ohm vs. 0.37 Ohm @ 1 kHz) being noted by a German mag.

If you don't have great ears you may not notice it, and certainly wouldn't notice it unless you did the type of comparison I did. But for those of us that do and care about the audio quality, this is not a great situation. It may eventually be solved by an external lightning DAC module. But that means more $$$ and more inconvenient adapters.

there is no "eventually". You can use any USB DAC with the lightning camera adapter. which you can also use (USB DAC) on any other USB audio device also. Honestly I am a little put off by "audiophiles" in here who are using the phone's DAC (ANY phone) vs. spending $100-200 on an incredible DAC that you can port anywhere.

borghe

thank you!
ok, it seems I will switch from 6 to 7.

I was seriously floored, and this is coming from a 6s. I'd say the 7 outshoots many midrange DSLRs out of the box (i.e. without an OIS lens attached) in low light. I mean the ONLY lighting here is the street lamps, and they make things harsher, not easier.

I can't wait to start shooting with more light out, just after sunset.

there is no "eventually". You can use any USB DAC with the lightning camera adapter. which you can also use (USB DAC) on any other USB audio device also. Honestly I am a little put off by "audiophiles" in here who are using the phone's DAC (ANY phone) vs. spending $100-200 on an incredible DAC that you can port anywhere.

"Put off"? Because I want decent audio in my car or at work without lugging around a bunch of extra shit to plug in? Okay. I'll look into these USB modules you're talking about though, thanks.

DOWN

Banned
Here's a 4K video shot with the telephoto lens (well I just uploaded it, so it should be 4K as long as it finished processing). I read Vimeo tends to have slightly cleaner videos than Youtube at the cost of speed.

https://vimeo.com/183359590

Fliesen

if it's just the impedance of the adapter that's the performance bottleneck, shouldn't there be a possibility for a third party to make a reasonably priced adapter, without having to add an external DAC?

(i have no idea of high level audio shit, cmiiw)

if it's just the impedance of the adapter that's the performance bottleneck, shouldn't there be a possibility for a third party to make a reasonably priced adapter, without having to add an external DAC?

(i have no idea of high level audio shit, cmiiw)

Lightning is only a serial bus. There's no audio lines going through it. Any audio device plugged into the Lightning bus is going to send and receive audio data and need to have its own ADC/DAC combo.

NYR

Does it have any grip to it? That was my issue with the Caudabe super slim cases (The Veil), they slid out of your hands quite easily.
It's basically the same thing, all those super slim <1mm slim cases have to be made out of that cheap plastic.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
"Put off"? Because I want decent audio in my car or at work without lugging around a bunch of extra shit to plug in? Okay. I'll look into these USB modules you're talking about though, thanks.

If you don't know what a DAC/AMP of you are very unlikely to ever notice a difference to begin with.

Guess Who

Banned
You do not need an external DAC for an iPhone (well, before the 7). You may need an amp depending on your headphones, but acting like the 6S DAC was garbage or something is comical.

For your car, just buy this. I use it to get wireless audio on my wife's BMW. It's reliable and it comes with a 1A charging port for your iPhone to fast charge.

borghe

You do not need an external DAC for an iPhone (well, before the 7). You may need an amp depending on your headphones, but acting like the 6S DAC was garbage or something is comical.

never intended to say it was garbage.. at the same time calling the 7 garbage is just as comical. My point was, if you care about the actual analog sound quality, it makes more sense to invest in a USB DAC. Not only can you control how good the conversion is, but then the conversion is consistent on every device you listen to.

Lightning is only a serial bus. There's no audio lines going through it. Any audio device plugged into the Lightning bus is going to send and receive audio data and need to have its own ADC/DAC combo.
some are the size of a pack of gum or a thumb drive. many of the higher quality ones are maybe a deck of cards.. something that can definitely go in the glove compartment with a USB (or lightning) cable coming out, with 1/8" or preamp-in going directly into the head unit.

br3wnor

So glad I made the choice to go with the plus model. The battery life alone has been worth it. Finally getting all day battery life

Most important reason why I can't go back to the normal sized iPhone. I'm not even a huge fan of how the plus fits in my hand but the battery is so great that I don't care. Also enjoy the screen real estate when consuming media.

Fliesen

you sure? wasn't there the rumor, that there was no DAC in the lightning -> 3.5mm adapter and the were just sending the analog signal via the pins of the Lightning port?

why do 20000 channels keep releasing scratch, drop and immersion videos, but there's not a SINGLE one that cuts open the $9 adapter

you sure? wasn't there the rumor, that there was no DAC in the lightning -> 3.5mm adapter and the were just sending the analog signal via the pins of the Lightning port?

Very.

lightning_dac.jpg

This is a 30 pin to lightning. The standard ADC/DAC for a set of MFi Lightning headphones is a WM8533. It's that tiny little chip down the bottom labelled 8533.

never intended to say it was garbage.. at the same time calling the 7 garbage is just as comical. My point was, if you care about the actual analog sound quality, it makes more sense to invest in a USB DAC. Not only can you control how good the conversion is, but then the conversion is consistent on every device you listen to.

I never called the 7 garbage. But the adapter is.

I never followed all the teardown stuff, but I believe they found a third DAC, no? So I don't want to say definitively yet that the fault lies in the adapter or something they're doing in that third DAC.

The 6s DAC sounds quite good, and is totally fine for daily use. I just want that same level of quality out of the box in the 7, which I think is reasonable to expect. Perhaps the impedance output is something they can fix with a firmware update, if that's really all this is.

Ninja Dom

Still no update on my order made 20 minutes after launch on the 9th September, UK.

Jet Black 128GB regular size is still just sitting on "Processing Order".

I never followed all the teardown stuff, but I believe they found a third DAC, no? So I don't want to say definitively yet that the fault lies in the adapter or something they're doing in that third DAC.

There are three audio chips in an iPhone. There is a 338S00105 audio IC that does ADC/DAC duties. There are also two 338S00220 amps for the bottom and top speakers.

There's not multiple DACs. Just twin amps because of the new speaker arrangement.

Mr Swine

Banned
I was seriously floored, and this is coming from a 6s. I'd say the 7 outshoots many midrange DSLRs out of the box (i.e. without an OIS lens attached) in low light. I mean the ONLY lighting here is the street lamps, and they make things harsher, not easier.

I can't wait to start shooting with more light out, just after sunset.

Are you sure? Stuff like this makes me question my pre order of iPhone 7 plus because of the awesome camera I kept hearing

http://www.zdnet.com/article/consumer-reports-iphone-7-camera-does-not-outperform-iphone-6s/

interesting. Not that i don't believe you, the pocketnow video just stated that they were somewhow sending the analog signal via the lightning port.

https://youtu.be/Fro0p5MlREk?t=149

Why doesn't anyone just cut open their adapter? :p

I'd say he's wrong that there's not enough space. I just showed you how tiny the WM8533 is. You can easily fit it inside that connector. Hell, the stock Lightning cables already have chips inside the connector.

lightening-sbs-v2.jpg

If you take out the Lightning to USB bridge from the connector you'll have more than enough room for a DAC.

Is there like a smudge free coating or something on the screens? My 6S Plus screen would be disgusting with prints after a day and I'm on two days with my new phone with barely any.

Fliesen

I'd say he's wrong that there's not enough space. I just showed you how tiny the WM8533 is. You can easily fit it inside that connector. Hell, the stock Lightning cables already have chips inside the connector.

lightening-sbs-v2.jpg

If you take out the Lightning to USB bridge from the connector you'll have more than enough room for a DAC.

sounds fair.
So, to get back to my original question - a ... third party lightning -> headphone adapter with a better (non 'bottlenecking' DAC), that costs like ... 30$ should be possible then, right?

Is there like a smudge free coating or something on the screens? My 6S Plus screen would be disgusting with prints after a day and I'm on two days with my new phone with barely any.

there's olephobic coating on the phones that wears off over time, yeah.

samn

The oleophobic coating on your 6s might have worn off over time

Top Bottom