• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

samn

I'm stuck between a 7 and 7 Plus - because of the zoom camera.

The 7 is cheaper (and I'm poor), the camera already looks great, video OIS looks great. It's more handleable and I don't care about the Plus's resolution or battery life.

But looking at 2x shots from the Plus, it looks like a much more 'natural' way of taking photos. Faces look so much nicer.

I guess I could replicate it when needed by doing a 2x crop/digital zoom...? I don't mind going down to 6 megapixels. And shooting 1080p video lets you zoom in almost 6x losslessly.

Are detachable lens accessories for iPhones any good?

Someone already came in and tried to exchange their Jet Black phone because they had it caseless and they got scratches

Gonna be a long year

Vyer

want to get some recommendations/advice here. I was on TMobile, with one of their regular shared plans with an iphone on JoD. My wife has a paid off iphone 6 on her account. The plan was to just use my JoD upgrade for my phone and use the trade in for hers, as she doesn't really care about upgrading every year so the two year thing was fine. Bill would basically stay the same, we'd both get new phones.

Until, of course, TMobile changed the terms the day before release, forcing you to move to a One unlimited plan. Which would consequently bump my bill up about 40-50 bucks a month. So that was a no go, and I was pissed. Trying to calculate, AT&T would be about 20 bucks cheaper a month (though not unlimited) if I were to move back to them. They still had the trade in deal as well, so I went ahead and moved her line over. She got her phone, and is now on AT&T.

So now I need to decide how to handle things for my line. I had preordered my phone, which is still showing a 9/27-10/10 shipping date and is still in processing. The plan was to wait till my phone delivered and then eventually move myself back over to AT&T, using the credit they have for switching to pay off most (if not all of my lease).

I suppose I could also cancel the preorder if I happen to find a 7 in store or at the AT&T carrier store before it ships.

Anyone done anything similar? Or just any better idea about where to go from here? Trying to figure out the best course of action.

fuckin' tmobile

Blackhead

Redarse
Someone already came in and tried to exchange their Jet Black phone because they had it caseless and they got scratches

Gonna be a long year

... "tried"? Implying the Apple store said no exchange?

At that point you just gotta embrace the scuffs and hope it ends up looking nice when it's "aged" the way a nice pair of leather boots do or something.
People need to embrace the scratches. Makes the phone look worn and awesome.

Has Apple/Carriers clarified their upgrade policy with regards to an 'aged' look? What's going to happen next year when customers want to trade in their scratched phones; will they be offered full phone value as credit?

Jet Black owners or pre-orders, don't look at this.

https://twitter.com/vladsavov/status/777953974628524032

:x
Stuff like this makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking using this coating in the first place.

It's got to be an experiment in evaluating the power of their advertising... joking... or am I? I don't understand how Apple can in good conscience advertise the jet black as a premium phone on the basis of its glossy finish and then recommend in small print that customers should get a case...

I also can't understand why anybody would buy it. If it were the only possible black option perhaps begrudgingly buying it would be comprehensible but there's a perfectly reasonable matte black option available

And don't even get me started on those claiming the 'tactility' of the jet black is justification enough. Get back to me after gripping it in a hand slick with summer sweat or remind be of its 'tactility' after wearing winter gloves for 5 months.

The Jet Black irks more than anything from the Apple event. How can they get away with this?

ZOONAMI

want to get some recommendations/advice here. I was on TMobile, with one of their regular shared plans with an iphone on JoD. My wife has a paid off iphone 6 on her account. The plan was to just use my JoD upgrade for my phone and use the trade in for hers, as she doesn't really care about upgrading every year so the two year thing was fine. Bill would basically stay the same, we'd both get new phones.

Until, of course, TMobile changed the terms the day before release, forcing you to move to a One unlimited plan. Which would consequently bump my bill up about 40-50 bucks a month. So that was a no go, and I was pissed. Trying to calculate, AT&T would be about 20 bucks cheaper a month (though not unlimited) if I were to move back to them. They still had the trade in deal as well, so I went ahead and moved her line over. She got her phone, and is now on AT&T.

So now I need to decide how to handle things for my line. I had preordered my phone, which is still showing a 9/27-10/10 shipping date and is still in processing. The plan was to wait till my phone delivered and then eventually move myself back over to AT&T, using the credit they have for switching to pay off most (if not all of my lease).

I suppose I could also cancel the preorder if I happen to find a 7 in store or at the AT&T carrier store before it ships.

Anyone done anything similar? Or just any better idea about where to go from here? Trying to figure out the best course of action.

fuckin' tmobile

I highly doubt at&t is cheaper with their $20 line access fee. Also, people were having success calling in and doing the trade in promo keeping their plans even though that isn't what the website said.

Jump on demand is an insanely awesome program, so I wouldn't willingly bail on it if I were you.

I also don't know that at&t would help you pay off a lease. You would owe tmobile the remainder of the lease agreement + the difference between the purchase price of the phone before you could move it to at&t.

It's got to be an experiment in evaluating the power of their advertising... joking... or am I? I don't understand how Apple can in good conscience advertise the jet black as a premium phone on the basis of its glossy finish and then recommend in small print that customers should get a case...

I also can't understand why anybody would buy it. If it were the only possible black option perhaps begrudgingly buying it would be comprehensible but there's a perfectly reasonable matte black option available

How is the Jet Black any different than buying a car with glossy black paint? You know what you're getting into from the start with that – it'll show any scratch, and any dust. The Jet Black is exactly the same. Apple put a warning right up front telling people it's going to be like that.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Has Apple/Carriers clarified their upgrade policy with regards to an 'aged' look? What's going to happen next year when customers want to trade in their scratched phones; will they be offered full phone value as credit?

And don't even get me started on those claiming the 'tactility' of the jet black is justification enough. Get back to me after gripping it in a hand slick with summer sweat or remind be of its 'tactility' after wearing winter gloves for 5 months.

The Jet Black irks more than anything from the Apple event. How can they get away with this?

What are you even talking about? Them getting away with what?

It's a phone with a glossy black finish. You know exactly what you're buying and that if you intend to keep it pristine you need to baby it constantly. It's why they have plenty of other colour options available.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't look amazing in press shots and makes people want it. Because it looks that good in real life. Thing is though, unless you baby it, it will get scratches eventually. Do you hold Apple responsible for that? That's absurd for so many reasons.

That's like holding a car manufacturer responsible that the tires will wear out from driving the car.

? it's obviously been less than 14 days but the Genius Bar said no?

Of course scratches on the Jet Black isn't going to be covered by the limited warranty. They aren't covered for any other model, they tell you on the website when you by it that's it's gonna happen

Blackhead

Redarse
How is the Jet Black any different than buying a car with glossy black paint? You know what you're getting into from the start with that – it'll show any scratch, and any dust. The Jet Black is exactly the same. Apple put a warning right up front telling people it's going to be like that.

What are you even talking about? Them getting away with what?

It's a phone with a glossy black finish. You know exactly what you're buying and that if you intend to keep it pristine you need to baby it constantly. It's why they have plenty of other colour options available.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't look amazing in press shots and makes people want it. Because it looks that good in real life. Thing is though, unless you baby it, it will get scratches eventually. Do you hold Apple responsible for that? That's absurd for so many reasons.

That's like holding a car manufacturer responsible that the tires will wear out from driving the car.

Then they should advertise it exactly how it's going to be when you use it. Don't sell people on the glossy finish then recommend (in small print) that customers immediately cover up the only reason they bought the damn thing with a case.

Of course scratches on the Jet Black isn't going to be covered by the limited warranty. They aren't covered for any other model, they tell you on the website when you by it that's it's gonna happen
It's been less than 14 days, why is it decided as a warranty issue and not a retail exchange? Or just you know, returning the phone and buying a new one?

Vyer

I highly doubt at&t is cheaper with their $20 line access fee. Also, people were having success calling in and doing the trade in promo keeping their plans even though that isn't what the website said.

Jump on demand is an insanely awesome program, so I wouldn't willingly bail on it if I were you.

I also don't know that at&t would help you pay off a lease. You would owe tmobile the remainder of the lease agreement + the difference between the purchase price of the phone before you could move it to at&t.

I believe I factored that in too, and it still came out cheaper. JoD is awesome and I was pretty happy in general (save for the spotty reception that I was tolerating because of price) with them, but that shitty move on the trade in really fucked things up for us and really soured me on them. The One plan really sucks if you were just fine one one of the standard Shared plans. I spent all day going back and forth with their reps in chats but ultimately no one did anything.

Att has a thing where you submit your final bill and they will give you up to like 650 to pay off your previous device. So I was thinking of going with that.

finalflame

I'm not sure what kinds of cars you buy, but I've owned multiple black cars and the rate at which the quality of the glossy black paint permanently deteriorates is nothing like the Jet Black phones. I mean come on now, who in good conscience could make this comparison? Through regular washing and semi-regular detailing you can keep a glossy black car looking pretty much new for years, if not decades.

Through regular use of a Jet Black iPhone, without a case, it will quickly devolve into a mess of scratches and blemishes that cannot be remediated. These two are not even remotely the same thing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Then they should advertise it exactly how it's going to be when you use it. Don't sell people on the glossy finish then recommend (in small print) that customers cover up the only reason they bought the damn thing with a case.

I hope you realize how dumb this reasoning of yours is. Take your stance and apply it to literally any other product and it completely falls apart.

Apple sells you a product. After that, whatever you want to do with it is your call. If you're not going to baby the phone, it'll eventually get scratches. It's freaking life.

Did they advertise the phone's finish as diamond-coated material impervious to scratches or something?

I'm not sure what kinds of cars you buy, but I've owned multiple black cars and the rate at which the quality of the glossy black paint permanently deteriorates is nothing like the Jet Black phones. I mean come on now, who in good conscience could make this comparison? Through regular washing and semi-regular detailing you can keep a glossy black car looking pretty much new for years, if not decades.

Through regular use of a Jet Black iPhone, without a case, it will quickly devolve into a mess of scratches and blemishes that cannot be remediated. These two are not even remotely the same thing.

It's exactly the same concept, it's just that people don't normally rub their cars against other surfaces all day. The point is that glossy black cars show scratches and dust much more than any other paint style, so just like with Jet Black consumers need to know what they're getting into when they choose that paint finish. Not everyone is cool with imperfections, some are. Obviously with the Jet Black it's going to be a bigger issue because your phone is constantly in contact with other surfaces, which is why Apple went defensive and suggested cases for those people.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's exactly the same concept, it's just that people don't normally rub their cars against other surfaces all day. The point is that glossy black cars show scratches and dust much more than any other paint style, so just like with Jet Black consumers need to know what they're getting into when they choose that paint finish. Not everyone is cool with imperfections, some are.
I hope you realize how dumb this reasoning of yours is. Take your stance and apply it to literally any other product and it completely falls apart.

Apple sells you a product. After that, whatever you want to do with it is your call. If you're not going to baby the phone, it'll eventually get scratches. It's freaking life.

Did they advertise the phone's finish as diamond-coated material impervious to scratches or something?

Does it say anywhere on the jet black box that you should put it in case? that you should expect scratches and fingerprint messes?

ZOONAMI

It seems to scratch waaaaaay easier than glass backed glossy phones. I know it isn't a glass phone, bit they shouldn't have made something that scratches so easily, period. It shouldn't scratch from running it with your shirt (YouTube scratch test video from Jerry rigged).

That said, I think it's insane people go caseless with a phone that costs $750+, given how relatively easy they are to drop given how often they go in and out of pockets, in cars, on ledges, using them while holding other things, etc. I have never noticeably scratched a phone or cracked a screen but that's because I always have a case. I have had some drops, with no case there would definitely be significant damage. Typically I run with a minimal clear case and a tempered glass screen protector. Screen protector has definitely saved the screens on my phones over the years too from scratches or cracking. Only phone I wouldn't run with one on would be the Moto z force.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Does it say anywhere on the jet black box that you should put it in case? that you should expect scratches and fingerprint messes?

No-one explicitly says you have to put it in a case. It's common sense to at least have a protective sleeve around it if you want to keep the finish perfect.

And that it'll scratch and catch fingerprints if you put it on hard surfaces, that's, again, common fucking sense. Anything will scratch when you drag it around on tables and desks for a while. I don't see how that should stop Apple from making a phone with a glossy finish. It's the customer that chooses to buy that colour, isn't it? There's plenty of other options.

Blackhead

Redarse
No-one explicitly says you have to put it in a case. It's common sense to at least have a protective sleeve around it if you want to keep the finish perfect.

And that it'll scratch and catch fingerprints if you put it on hard surfaces, that's, again, common fucking sense. Anything will scratch when you drag it around on tables and desks for a while. I don't see how that should stop Apple from making a phone with a glossy finish. It's the customer that chooses to buy that colour, isn't it? There's plenty of other options.

Common sense is not common. And Apple's advertising depicts perfect glossy jet black phones without any protective sleeves yet also without any fingerprints or scratches. If they want to make a phone with a glossy finish they can go right ahead but don't sell it on the finish which won't exist after a day if customers use it as Apple depicts

Common sense is not common. And Apple's advertising depicts perfect glossy jet black phones without any protective sleeves yet also without any fingerprints or scratches. If they want to make a phone with a glossy finish they can go right ahead but don't sell it on the finish which won't exist after a day if customers use it as Apple depicts

Yeah, I know when I went and bought windows for my house, I was sure to only buy from a supplier who outright warned me that the oils in my skin would leave smudges and prints on those shiny windows. Otherwise, I never would've known that might happen.

Can't stand these companies trying to pull one over on consumers. Their ads shouldn't show nice clean windows. They should only show dirty, smudged windows because that's what's going to happen to them anyway unless you take care of them.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'm done debating this dumb point of yours.

Phone manufacturers can't make beautiful promo images anymore, they should all include a few scratches and fingerprint smudges to make it look 'real'. Gotcha.

ZOONAMI

I believe I factored that in too, and it still came out cheaper. JoD is awesome and I was pretty happy in general (save for the spotty reception that I was tolerating because of price) with them, but that shitty move on the trade in really fucked things up for us and really soured me on them. The One plan really sucks if you were just fine one one of the standard Shared plans. I spent all day going back and forth with their reps in chats but ultimately no one did anything.

Att has a thing where you submit your final bill and they will give you up to like 650 to pay off your previous device. So I was thinking of going with that.

Seriously should have tried calling them. Ask for supervisor if necessary. They kind of changed the promo right after it started which kind of sucks. They are usually pretty good about helping you of you call in my experience, especially if you've been with them a long time. I have a $45 a month unlimited talk and text plan with 6gb of LTE data, and also have a tablet line that's completely free with 6gb of LTE. Its insane. I've been with them a long time (like 6+ years).

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, I know when I went and bought windows for my house, I was sure to only buy from a supplier who outright warned me that the oils in my skin would leave smudges and prints on those shiny windows. Otherwise, I never would've known that might happen.

Can't stand these companies trying to pull one over on consumers.

Oh for fucks sake.

If the supplier advertises a set of premium stained windows and then puts a note in small print that you should cover up those windows with curtains once you get home (otherwise they'd be destroyed), you'd be pissed off.

We could do the stupid analogy dance all day. Carry on.
I'm done debating this dumb point of yours.

Phone manufacturers can't make beautiful promo images anymore, they should all include a few scratches and fingerprint smudges to make it look 'real'. Gotcha.
People need to embrace the scratches. Makes the phone look worn and awesome.
Yeah gotcha. You claim the scratches make the phone awesome but simultaneously claim that Apple shouldn't advertise those awesome scratches at all. *shrug*

Oh for fucks sake.

If the supplier advertises a set of premium stained windows and then puts a note in small print that you should cover up those windows with curtains once you get home, you'd be pissed off.

We could do the stupid analogy dance all day. Carry on.

I wouldn't be pissed off because it's common sense. Fingerprints smudge things. Anyone over the age of five should know this.

As for scratches, they aren't required to tell you it might scratch. However, they did release a statement (before the phone released) recommending a case due to the possibilities of the phone scratching.

They're selling a product. They're going to do what every company does and present you with an image of the best possible version of that product. They aren't going to advertise every possible or likely mishap, just as nobody else does. Otherwise, the airwaves would be inundated with Samsung ads showcasing exploding phones.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

Every glossy product I've ever bought has smudges and scratches even if the thing doesn't move. I can't even explain what happened to the HDD cover on my PS4 or the entire casing of my Wii U

Blackhead

Redarse
Every glossy product I've ever bought has smudges and scratches even if the thing doesn't move. I can't even explain what happened to the HDD cover on my PS4 or the entire casing of my Wii U

Is that what your Apple store told the customer who tried to exchange the jet black?

Is that what your Apple store told the customer who tried to exchange the jet black?

I wasn't there for that interaction specifically, but my answer would have been that the scratches and smudges aren't a manufacturers defect which is what the warranty covers. It's the material of the phone and the website reflects that when you go to order.

Blackhead

Redarse
I wasn't there for that interaction specifically, but my answer would have been that the scratches and smudges aren't a manufacturers defect which is what the warranty covers. It's the material of the phone and the website reflects that when you go to order.

Where you there for the black iPhone 5 'chip-gate'? Customers were exchanging/returning their iPhones during the 30 day return period (within reason though, some crazy macrumors members were actually opening the boxes in store and asking for alternatives on the spot if they didn't like what they got lol)... It's supposed to be a 'no questions asked' return or exchange period, I'm surprised your Apple store turned the customer away (instead of say exchanging the phone and selling him a case)

Where you there for the black iPhone 5 'chip-gate'? Customers were exchanging/returning their iPhones during the 30 day return period (within reason though, some crazy macrumors members were actually opening the boxes in store and asking for alternatives on the spot if they didn't like what they got lol)... It's supposed to be a 'no questions asked' return or exchange period, I'm surprised your Apple store turned the customer away (instead of say exchanging the phone and selling him a case)

He didn't buy the phone at our location, can't retail exchange it. He bought it online from someone else. He came to the Genius Bar expecting a warranty swap

Here's a hot question: on GAF mobile, my quoted images appear oriented correctly on GAF and also when I tap on them. Why, then, are they every direction except right side up when viewed on my computer on GAF (but still right side up when I click on them)?

It may be a problem with the mobile site. Starting about a month or so ago I noticed that if someone quotes me my quote no longer appears in green so I can find it while I'm scrolling (I have notifications turned off). Still shows green on the desktop.

Well, good news is I think all of my iPhone 7 bugs are solved.

Bad news is it looks like I have to say goodbye to my iCloud backup. :( Hate losing stuff like messenger history (again) but bookmarks disappearing and messenger/twitter freezing seem to be incurable otherwise.

Really makes me wish there was a way to debug /piecemeal my backup though.

There is! Look here: http://www.icopybot.com/blog/merge-sms-imessage-messages-from-old-iphone-to-new-iphone.htm I've never done it but I would assume you can piecemeal other parts than just Messages. Photos can be saved to a PC and transferred back obviously.

I check my verizon order about five times a day just begging to see an update other than "in process".

This wait is tearing me apaaaaaaaaart.

You are me but T-Mobile haha.

Lightning DAC was my nickname in high school

Heh.

Its impossible to get the black one in china. How is it looking in the US? Getting annoyed by this.

Jet Black is unavailable if that's what you mean. Matte black is definitely available but not as consistently as the other colors.

So the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus has a hissing problem eh? Hopefully they can fix this with the second shipments. I cant get my iPhone 7 anytime soon anyways.

Top Bottom