• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Reposting from last page:

Don't know where else to put these (as I generally dislike Phone Warz threads):

iPhone 7 laps Galaxy Note 7 in "real-life speed test," and the display gets glowing praise from DisplayMate.

9to5Mac discussing DisplayMate findings said:
the iPhone 7 ‘sets many new display performance records,’ including picture quality, Absolute Color Accuracy and Absolute Calibration Accuracy. In fact, DisplayMate says the screen is more accurate not just than other smartphones, but any TV the company has ever tested.

and

Bloomberg reports that Samsung's exploding phones are a result of trying to beat iPhone 7 to market (which I think most already suspected).

DOWN

Banned
The colors looked really muted so I double checked the Exif and abload.de wiped out the colorspace data. So you have DCI-P3 colorspace JPEGs and they're being displayed with an sRGB profile for most people so you're going to see a fair amount of desaturation.

I just double checked on imgur and it's not wiping out the P3 colorspace data.
How about flickr? I read imgur has more compression than Flickr and the Flickr versions look more accurate than abload to me

Telephoto Unaltered images
29744339376_cfb2140754_o.jpg

29707363181_1dd2560e58_o.jpg

Wide Unaltered

And one more telephoto

Wide

-griffy-

Banned
How about flickr? I read imgur has more compression than Flickr and the Flickr versions look more accurate than abload to me

Telephoto Unaltered images

Wide Unaltered

And one more telephoto

Wide
All your images are showing as upside down to me!

As a totally new iPhone use, is apple care worth the $129?

Never has been for me. The iPhone comes with a year of warranty. Apple Care doesn't kick in until that year lapses. If you upgrade every year or even every two years what's the point?

Rarely do I have problems with my iPhone. I took my 6 in for a camera recall. And it was free.

Never has been for me. The iPhone comes with a year of warranty. Apple Care doesn't kick in until that year lapses. If you upgrade every year or even every two years what's the point?

Rarely do I have problems with my iPhone. I took my 6 in for a camera recall. And it was free.
As with most forms of insurance it is largely about peace of mind. If for instance, you were to get serious water damage it comes to $100 deductible plus the initial $130 for the plan instead of $320/$350 and you really get two instances of repair so it should be $65+$100 for $165. Screen Damage is only $30 whereas you would otherwise spend $100 on one. I feel like I'd get it because you never know what could happen.

Barzul

So glad I made the choice to go with the plus model. The battery life alone has been worth it. Finally getting all day battery life

Hoo-doo

Banned
Displaymate shootout is up.

Also, if you're putting pictures in the thread, for the love of god put the image tags inside quote tags.

An Outstanding Smartphone Display
The display on the iPhone 7 is a Truly Impressive Top Performing Display and a major upgrade and enhancement to the display on the iPhone 6. It is by far the best performing mobile LCD display that we have ever tested, and it breaks many display performance records.

The iPhone 7 matches or breaks new Smartphone display performance records for:
• The Highest Absolute Color Accuracy for any display (1.1 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect
• The Highest Absolute Luminance Accuracy for any display (±2%) – Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect
• Very Accurate Image Contrast and Intensity Scale (with Gamma 2.21) – Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect
• The Highest Peak Brightness Smartphone for any Average Picture Level APL (602 to 705 nits)
• The Highest Contrast Ratio for any IPS LCD display (1,762)
• The Lowest Screen Reflectance for any Smartphone display (4.4 percent)
• The Highest Contrast Rating in High Ambient light for a Smartphone for any APL (137 to 160)
• The Smallest Color variation with Viewing Angle (2.1 JNCD or less)
See the Results Highlights section and Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details.

Impressive.

hEist

could some of you (who got an 7) take some low light images?
I would like to see, if the camera is indeed better in this situations (specially sharpness and noise reduction).

I'm curious.

DirtyLarry

So I am back to the iPhone camp after 4+ years on the Android side.
I had legit reasons for going back so lets not make this a discussion about how I fucked up or whatever others may want to say. The decision is made and it is done. Just waiting on my 7+ to arrive which should be next week.

So I just have a few questions about coming back...

Even though I use a Macbook Pro, etc., I do not use any of Apple's Apps. All of my day to day stuff is handled through Google. My Contacts, Calendar, etc.
Should I think about making the switch to really take advantage of being on an iPhone again? Or does the Apple native apps integrate seamlessly with Google?

Basically I am asking if I should start using Apple's native apps or is it okay to continue using Google's apps integrated with Apple's apps?
If I should make the switch, are there any easy apps or services that makes it easy to do so?

I know this is something I can figure out on my own once I get my phone, however I like to plan ahead. If there is some exporting and importing I need to know prior to getting my phone, I would prefer to do that now in the upcoming week.

I am off to also Google this topic after posting this. Make no mistake about it I am well aware I will probably find ample articles. However I prefer feedback from actual people, hence why I asked here. So let's not make that a topic either. I know I can Google this, I absolutely plan on doing so, I just came here first for some actual user feedback.

TIA, and I am weirdly excited to come back to the iPhone after all this years.

The iPhone 7 matches or breaks new Smartphone display performance records for:
• The Highest Absolute Color Accuracy for any display (1.1 JNCD) – Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect
• The Highest Absolute Luminance Accuracy for any display (±2%) – Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect
• Very Accurate Image Contrast and Intensity Scale (with Gamma 2.21) – Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect
• The Highest Peak Brightness Smartphone for any Average Picture Level APL (602 to 705 nits)
• The Highest Contrast Ratio for any IPS LCD display (1,762)
• The Lowest Screen Reflectance for any Smartphone display (4.4 percent)
• The Highest Contrast Rating in High Ambient light for a Smartphone for any APL (137 to 160)
• The Smallest Color variation with Viewing Angle (2.1 JNCD or less)
See the Results Highlights section and Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details.

Holy fuck. I like how none of these benchmarks ever affect the "LOL IPHONE IS SO BEHIND" trolls.

So following up on my car experience, I sat down today with my 6s and 7 and some Seinnheiser 280 Pro headphones to do a sound comparison with higher-quality audio. The Seinnheisers aren't quite audiophile-level quality, but I know them well, and they are relatively neutral. I equalized the volume (the 7 needed to actually go up one notch further than the 6s) so there was no perceptual difference due to loudness.

The result is not good. In all cases, the 7 had a loss of lower midrange frequencies, and a loss of the 3D soundstage. Overall all the songs I listened to on the 7 sounded muffled and thin, and most of the soundstage was focused in the center. Brittle and a loss of subtle detail. Listening to the 7 started to hurt my ears after a while the same way that listening to low bitrate mp3s used to do.

Here's a few songs I compared. Everything I listened to was 320 mp3/aac or Apple Lossless files. So, again, not audiophile "oh I won't notice" stuff, but average music files most people have in their library.

David Bowie – Five Years. On the 6s, I could hear the rattle of the opening snare and its satisfying midrange thump typical of early '70s recording style. On the 7 there was only a hint of rattle, and the thump had all the meat cut out of the bottom. Bowie's voice sounds thin and distant on the 7, blending into the other instruments. The lower frequencies of his voice are gone, same with the growling bassline.

Bjork – Like Someone in Love. This was recorded on a rooftop, and in the beginning you can hear kids playing and a big truck driving. The soundstage on the 6s is amazing and I feel like I'm in the middle of that scene, with the garbage truck rumbling through. On the 7 the soundstage is flattened considerably and the lower-end of the truck's growls and hisses are gone. And then there's Bjork's voice, which on the 7 has all the lower-range roundness taken out of it. It just sounds thin.

Led Zeppelin – Ramble On. The soundstage of the intro is fantastic on the 6s, you can pick out the locations of individual instruments, but no surprise, on the 7 it sounds very narrow, hazy, and thin.

Nina Simone – Why Keep On Breaking My Heart. The power of Nina's voice is lessened on the 7, both in force and texture. When the backup singers come in, her voice starts to blend in on the 7, while on the 6s it remains a singular thing. As with every other singer and instrument, there's a slice of lower-end frequencies that are absent in her voice on the 7. The bass also lacks punch.

Sonic Youth – Rats. So much detail lost in this song on the 7, from the punch of Kim Gordon's bass to the crispness of the snare. Then when Thurston's guitar wash comes in, on the 6s it covers the soundstage with subtle textures. On the 7 it's a vague hiss of sound. And when Lee Ranaldo's voice comes in, there's a growl on the 6s which is completely lost on the 7.

I could go on and on with other songs, but the point is, the 7 with the dongle is shit. This is a major step back after the great audio quality on the 6s, and I'd say it's probably the worst the iPhone has ever sounded. I don't know if they purposefully thinned the sound before it even hits the dongle to make it sound better on the earbuds, or if this is a hardware fumble, but the result is that I'm going to have to use a second iPhone when I want to listen to music because the audio quality with the 7 is not acceptable. It remains to be seen if lightning connection headphones also exhibit this problem. The earbuds are just not good enough quality to compare.

I've tried to stay neutral and open-minded on the no headphone jack issue, but after doing these tests I can say Apple really fucked up here. I am not happy.

Fuck Apple. This pisses me off. This device was supposed to be my ultimate Music and Podcast machine, since I have to regularly Flash / Debug my WP devices.

j-wood

I'm thinking I won't use a case though, so the accidental damage might be worth it

Also, if you're putting pictures in the thread, for the love of god put the image tags inside quote tags.

DisplayMate said:
• The Absolute Color Accuracy of the iPhone 7 is Truly Impressive as shown in these Figures. It is the most color accurate display that we have ever measured. It is Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect, and is very likely considerably better than on any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have. So photos, videos, and online content and merchandise will appear correct and beautiful.

Wow.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
To put things into perspective to properly calibrate my Pioneer Kuro to pretty much be a reference Rec.709 HDTV I had to spend a good $500+ on the right hardware and software not to mention time spent adjusting the picture controls. I could tell Apple had nailed it when iPhone 7 Plus display looked so accurate watching the Rec.709 content out of the box...and now seeing those DCI-P3 and SRGB results insane that they are doing this out of the factory.

If they switch to OLED next year they will no doubt put out the most accurate OLED display when it comes to meeting standards. Samsung's AMOLED displays are stunning so I can't wait to see what Apple does with OLED tech (Wonder if they will source panels from Samsung or somewhere else?)

Edit: Also, I think Apple will ship DCI-P3 displays with new rMBP without question they are moving all their products towards this new standard.

epmode

I don't want to ruin the thread with boring technical stuff, but why? Even when they're not in quotes, images will be automatically shrunk so that they fit horizontally.

Quoting images is a worse idea in my experience. If you quote a MASSIVE image (wider than your monitor), anyone viewing it is either stuck with the too-small quoted image or the way-too-big image after clicking. If the image was just posted in a regular IMG tag, it would be properly resized.

I don't want to ruin the thread with boring technical stuff, but why? Even when they're not in quotes, images will be automatically shrunk so that they fit horizontally.

Quoting images is a worse idea in my experience. If you quote a MASSIVE image (wider than your monitor), anyone viewing it is either stuck with the too-small quoted image or the way-too-big image after clicking. If the image was just posted in a regular IMG tag, it would be properly resized.

Because it'll dump a big ass picture smack in the middle of the thread. You can just open a small image in a new tab and get the right effect.

FinKL

DisplayMate said:
It is the most color accurate display that we have ever measured. It is Visually Indistinguishable from Perfect, and is very likely considerably better than on any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have. So photos, videos, and online content and merchandise will appear correct and beautiful.
Does this mean I can watch HDR videos on my phone and compare it to my monitor to notice the difference HDR makes, since it's closer to the colors the HDR video wants to show?

FinKL

Probably. You'd need to make sure it's HDR video though.

Guess I'll have to find the source Mass Effect HDR footage, but for science, I loaded the video up on 4k youtube and on my iPhone and the contrast difference between the two is astronomical.

I think I have one of the first Samsung 120hz monitors and everything looks so dull and gray compare to the vibrant colors that the iPhone shows. Things pop so much more on the iPhone

-griffy-

Banned

Cause for some people we're talking the difference between this:

And this:

It makes simply navigating the thread more annoying, since you have to scroll more to actually view the content.

finalflame

Does this mean I can watch HDR videos on my phone and compare it to my monitor to notice the difference HDR makes, since it's closer to the colors the HDR video wants to show?
No. If the iPhone can't decode HDR metadata, and specifically properly handle an HDR source, it will be nothing like you'd see on an HDR TV. The only way to actually watch an HDR source is on a TV that explicitly supports HDR and has the specs to display it properly.

FinKL

No. If the iPhone can't decode HDR metadata, and specifically properly handle an HDR source, it will be nothing like you'd see on an HDR TV. The only way to actually watch an HDR source is on a TV that explicitly supports HDR and has the specs to display it properly.

Oh drats, still need to see HDR in person then :(

Vyer

Damn. I will be fine with a res bump and/or oled, but yeah iPhone screens are still excellent

I had legit reasons for going back so lets not make this a discussion about how I fucked up or whatever others may want to say. The decision is made and it is done. Just waiting on my 7+ to arrive which should be next week.

Even though I use a Macbook Pro, etc., I do not use any of Apple's Apps. All of my day to day stuff is handled through Google. My Contacts, Calendar, etc.
Should I think about making the switch to really take advantage of being on an iPhone again? Or does the Apple native apps integrate seamlessly with Google?

Basically I am asking if I should start using Apple's native apps or is it okay to continue using Google's apps integrated with Apple's apps?
If I should make the switch, are there any easy apps or services that makes it easy to do so?

I know this is something I can figure out on my own once I get my phone, however I like to plan ahead. If there is some exporting and importing I need to know prior to getting my phone, I would prefer to do that now in the upcoming week.

I am off to also Google this topic after posting this. Make no mistake about it I am well aware I will probably find ample articles. However I prefer feedback from actual people, hence why I asked here. So let's not make that a topic either. I know I can Google this, I absolutely plan on doing so, I just came here first for some actual user feedback.

Calendar probably won't be a big deal as you can integrate google calendar into stock and plenty of other calendar apps.

Contacts you could I think sync over through gmail in the he stock email app, but you might find that a little trickier overall.

Staying on the subject of pictures, y'all really should send those for the Shot on iPhone campaign.

Someone on GAF recently posted a pic of the email they got from Tim Cook after submitting some pics. I wish I could find the post.

But yeah, it's worth a shot. Some of those pics are gorgeous.

Damn. I will be fine with a res bump and/or oled, but yeah iPhone screens are still excellent

Calendar probably won't be a big deal as you can integrate google calendar into stock and plenty of other calendar apps.

Contacts you could I think sync over through gmail in the he stock email app, but you might find that a little trickier overall.

I've never used it, but doesn't Apple offer an app on the Google Play store for those looking to switch to iPhone?

It should. iOS is fully color managed and the AV libraries automatically tag the pixel buffer with the correct color space. Colorsync should take the pixel buffer (for instance a Rec. 2020 source) and convert the content to something that fits in the DCI-P3 color space.

This is my face whenever someone starts talking about all these technical details that go way over my head:

Peewee.gif

It's impressive, but thank god sites like DisplayMate also offer some dumbed down explanations for plebs like me.

It should. iOS is fully color managed and the AV libraries automatically tag the pixel buffer with the correct color space. Colorsync should take the pixel buffer (for instance a Rec. 2020 source) and convert the content to something that fits in the DCI-P3 color space.

Vyer

Staying on the subject of pictures, y'all really should send those for the Shot on iPhone campaign.

Someone on GAF recently posted a pic of the email they got from Tim Cook after submitting some pics. I wish I could find the post.

I've never used it, but doesn't Apple offer an app on the Google Play store for those looking to switch to iPhone?

Ah, right, I forgot about that. DirtyLarry you might want to look into that.

I swear HDR is going to become the anamorphic DVD of this generation. We're going to have a generation of old people watching movies in muted colors.

I...don't notice a difference using the 3.5mm adapter? I guess I'm not audiophile enough to notice the difference. Works for me. But may as well forget impressions and it to sound analysis tests because audio is notoriously subjective. Anyway seems about the same as my iPhone 6, using nice but not audiocrazy Sony headphones.

Going forward, I'm really interested to see if there's any benefit to the W1 on the next slate of Beats products, since PB2 is still easily the most comfortable jogging BT set I've ever used.

Fliesen

For contacts, iCloud is just a a syncing back-end. I don't believe there's any real difference between having contacts synced via iCloud vs. via Google.
Similarly, there's nothing 'special' about iCloud calendars.
Unless you wanna make use of the kind of features like "at the current state of traffic you should be leaving now, to make it to your appointment in time"

I would definitely use Safari, iMessage and apple's mail app, because hand-off is super neat, iCloud tabs and bookmark syncing is pretty useful as well.

edit: those dIsplaymate results are amazing. the video about iPhone 7 vs Galaxy Note 7 'performance' really show how well optimized (especially with regards to memory) iOS really is. How a 4GB device has to reload apps, while the 2GB iPhone doesn't flush them.

Has there been any confirmation on whether the dual camer on the 7+ uses all of that 3rd GB or RAM? Or does it only use like .7 or .8 GB of the RAM? Even just an extra .2GB of ram on top of the 2GB used by the phone would be amazing.

DOWN

Banned
I...don't notice a difference using the 3.5mm adapter? I guess I'm not audiophile enough to notice the difference. Works for me. But may as well forget impressions and it to sound analysis tests because audio is notoriously subjective. Anyway seems about the same as my iPhone 6, using nice but not audiocrazy Sony headphones.

Going forward, I'm really interested to see if there's any benefit to the W1 on the next slate of Beats products, since PB2 is still easily the most comfortable jogging BT set I've ever used.
You're aware that they did announce several new Beats models with the W1 chip?

There is no difference using the 3.5mm adapter, if you use that it's exactly the same as using a headphone jack on an iPhone 6. Where the sound quality increase is supposed to theoretically happen is with headphones that plug directly into the lightning port. Though I don't really see how that could help either, since it's still doing exactly one digital-analogue conversion, just doing it in the headphones rather than the phone.

Fliesen

Has there been any confirmation on whether the dual camer on the 7+ uses all of that 3rd GB or RAM? Or does it only use like .7 or .8 GB of the RAM? Even just an extra .2GB of ram on top of the 2GB used by the phone would be amazing.

well, that ram's not "reserved" for the camera permanently, right?
so, when you haven't taken a photo for a while, the camera app would not be in memory, and your apps / browser tabs would have full 'access' to the 3GB.

There is no difference using the 3.5mm adapter, if you use that it's exactly the same as using a headphone jack on an iPhone 6.

there was this video yesterday of the inline volume and playback controls stopping working if the phone had been locked and not playing music for 5 minutes. Anyone able to reproduce this?

GeoNeo

I disagree.

To be honest a few audiophile's I know that have used iPhone's have always gone for external Lighting DAC like a Radius ALLCH21K which uses Wolfson's WM8731L DAC. They rave about it. I guess it must not be well known in U.S?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/biccamera/item/4531465035338/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

I'm sure in no time you'll see more and more better 3rd party adapters come to market for people that really need headphone jack. :)

Hold on, you can email Tim Cook your photos?

Top Bottom