• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Also, dog on grass. That's all I have for today.

img_0006fxph2.jpg

ccbfan

The home button is really weird.

I was expected the button itself to provide some feedback but instead the feedback is completely from the back of the phone.

I wouldn't have rather there was no feedback at all, hopefully they add that in the future.

Laekon

While the photos are nice over all, technically they seem bad. Nothing is in focus in the first photo of the sunset. In the 2nd photo it focused in on the grass in the lower right of the photo, not on the dog.

I can't decide which case to get. I wanted to get one of the official leather ones. The saddle brown looks nice but matches the white faced phones a lot better than the black. The lighter blue looks a little PlaySkool. The grey and darker blue look nice with the black phones but are a little boring. I'm not a fan of black-on-black and don't like the red case.

I really like the ocean blue silicon case, I really wish the leather case came in that shade. The stone silicone case looks nice too. But I'd rather have leather.

Good thing I have another month to decide before my phone ships =/

TimFL

Yep! I don't mind setting up apps again, but I do wish health data was saved to iCloud. Though I know for me specifically I don't care about old data since I'll be recording new data anyway
But health data is saved to iCloud... ? I think they introduced that a while ago, ever since they started encrypting iCloud backups.

The case spigen? I got the same case if so.

Do you wish it had a little more lip around the screen and the camera?

Ha no it's actually the black Apple silicone case. It seems like it fits less well than my 6s silicone case, but the feel of it is so good. The 6s case was really rubbery which made it hard to pull out of pockets. The 7 case is in the goldilocks zone.. really easy to pull out of pocket, but not slippery at all.

I actually was curious about that a few weeks ago and read that they generally find the photos they want for the campaign by browsing Flickr but that would be cool if you can send them in

Seriously, send in that butterfly photo. It's really good, and sort of jaw-dropping that a phone can do that.

Erebus

Guys I'm reading all kinds of things on the Macrumor forums concerning the hissing/clicking sounds. Some users are reporting that they're even audible during video recording. Has anyone here noticed anything like this?

I'm worrying and thinking of canceling my order if that is a real issue and not another bendgate.

jaosobno

Guys I'm reading all kinds of things on the Macrumor forums concerning the hissing/clicking sounds. Some users are reporting that they're even audible during video recording. Has anyone here noticed anything like this?

I'm worrying and thinking of canceling my order if that is a real issue and not another bendgate.

You should probably read this article:

http://www.imore.com/no-hiss-buzz-n...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=im

Also, I'm going to quote my post regarding hissing, perhaps it will make your decision easier:

So regarding the whole hissing sound thing coming from iPhone 7, I went to the local tech store at the shopping mall and there were 3 Apple devices on display; 6s plus, SE, and iPad pro (7 releases next friday in my country so there are no test units yet).

Now, I started google octane on each device and here is what I found (I held each device to my ear at camera level since that is were reportedly the noise is coming from):

- 6s Plus: low hissing sound mixed with occasional crackling. No way I would be able to hear this if I didn't hold it to my ear.

- SE: I think I heard something but if I did it was so low that it's barely audiable.

- iPad pro: no sound whatsoever

Now I was at the shopping mall so there was background music and noise from people chatter so it wasn't ideal testing environment (plus the phones had rather big anti theft protection attached on their backs so it was hard to listen closely, specially on SE), but I think this entire thing is blown out of proportion.

During normal usage it should be a non issue.

Of course I cannot guarantee that there is are no issues with some devices, but I decided to keep my preorder.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

So I first tested it out by running intense benchmark and putting my ear right up against the back of the iPhone (near upper right area) I could hear it. I called Apple chat they were cool about it organised for me to go in store get a swap out...

Well just out of interest I tested a few other devices and they too make differing "coil whine" (prob transistor whine) to verying degree. I can't even hear my one make the sound unless I freaking turn it around put my ear right up against it and listen carefully. Asked a friend if they heard anything ran test again gave 'em the phone ran benchmark and they legit told me they heard nothing so the frequency of the sound won't even be heard by everyone and being the case with my iPhone where I need to have my cover off and my ear pressed against the back with hardly any background noise to pick it up & my other devices do it too I called Apple back said to cancel the appointment; they said fine but if I ever feel like returning the phone they will switch it out for me no problem.

Everything about my phone is as perfect as you gonna get so I'm not gonna return it over this because it's a legit no issue for me. Now, if you can hear this while normal distance from phone I'd return it of course.

How is Apple reagarding Dead pixels?

It is what I fear the most from getting a new device with a screen.
They will gladly replace the device, although it is extremely rare to see. Only ever saw it maybe 3-5 times, all on the 3GS or iPhone 4.
Source: Worked Apple retail for several years.

Impulsor

They will gladly replace the device, although it is extremely rare to see. Only ever saw it maybe 3-5 times, all on the 3GS or iPhone 4.
Source: Worked Apple retail for several years.
I understand their quality standards are higher than other manufacturers.

I have not seen a single iphone with a dead pixel ever, from my friends.

NOt one of them has ever had to exchange one for this reason.

You always have 14 days to return no questions asked.

Edit: From Australia though where are consumer laws are some of the best in the world.

Checked Apples Site for U.S seems decent too.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_us.html

Return get a refund if you're not happy.

I'm in Spain though. I have the same 14 days to return, no questions asked.

chrizzz09

I just put the back of my 5S against my ear and I can hear a hissing sound too.

I honestly think people blow this way out of proportion...but well this happens every year at the iPhone release.
Everyone tries their hardest to find the new "-gate" worthy fault.
I remember the whole "omg you have the Samsung manufactured A9 CPU, rush to the next Apple Store and get it replaced, your device is inferior without the TSMC A9!" debacle with the iPhone 6S.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

Looks like it's Universal for whatever offical countries Apple sell their phones in. Just double checked! :D

I've never ever had issue returning stuff to Apple getting my money back. This is why I love this hassle free shit. Like I can't say the same for a ton of other Companies whose return policy is complete BS.

Florida Sunset with iPhone 7+:
Also, dog on grass. That's all I have for today.
Telephoto Unaltered images (I've never used abload before so I don't know if I picked some bad compressed option)
Wide Unaltered
Telephoto lens is amazing and I'm surprised they didn't advertise how close ups look when promoting at the keynote

The colors looked really muted so I double checked the Exif and abload.de wiped out the colorspace data. So you have DCI-P3 colorspace JPEGs and they're being displayed with an sRGB profile for most people so you're going to see a fair amount of desaturation.

I just double checked on imgur and it's not wiping out the P3 colorspace data.

Impulsor

Here I am, owner of a Samsung S7 Edge, about to click on buy on a regular Iphone 7, Silver, 128 gb.

I'm afraid and excited at the same time.

Oh, and even if I ordered the phone via apple website, can I exchange it in an apple store?

edgefusion

I understand their quality standards are higher than other manufacturers.

I have not seen a single iphone with a dead pixel ever, from my friends.

NOt one of them has ever had to exchange one for this reason.

My iPhone 6 had a string of dead pixels down the middle-right. Didn't bother me enough to get it fixed but I'm sure glad to finally have a fault free 7.

Impulsor

My iPhone 6 had a string of dead pixels down the middle-right. Didn't bother me enough to get it fixed but I'm sure glad to finally have a fault free 7.

I would have gone mad.

And I just placed my order.

iPhone 7 Silver 128 gb.

Welcome me to the family.

I'll sell my S7 Edge as soon as I'm settled into iOS.

Sh0k

In the case that restoring my iPhone 7 doesn't solve the camera problem I'm having, what's the best way to do an exchange, going to the ATT store or directly to an Apple Store?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
In the case that restoring my iPhone 7 doesn't solve the camera problem I'm having, what's the best way to do an exchange, going to the ATT store or directly to an Apple Store?

Try full erase and reset setup phone as brand new just for a bit and test if you don't exp the problem start restoring your data and seeing what happens if stuffs up again just return to Apple I'd say.

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding it super difficult to trigger Apple Pay with a double-tap of home button on the iPhone 7.

It seems like it always unlocks the phone immediately (and brings me to the home screen) before it registers the second press. I've tried numerous times double-tapping it at different speeds etc but I can only get Apple Pay to come up maybe 1 out of 10 attempts.

Not sure what you're doing wrong but I just got Apple Pay to show 10 times in a row. I just double tapped quickly and left my finger on the home button.

I'd be surprised if the carrier lets you do an exchange? In Canada the blanket answer is "talk to Apple".

But spoiler alert, here are the three fix steps that they will do with you at the Genius Bar:

1. Power cycle your phone
2. Restore from iCloud
3. Erase but do not restore from iCloud (you still login but don't restore a backup)

If it's very easy to reproduce your issue at the store they will do a hardware test to see if there are any obvious errors, but otherwise I really recommend all three of these steps (sounds like you did #1, but make sure you can reproduce after each step) before making an appointment because it will cut a LOT of time - these are what the Apple Store folks will sit there and do with you in the store anyway.

(And do book an appointment online with your Apple Store, otherwise you could be waiting awhile...)

Sh0k

I'd be surprised if the carrier lets you do an exchange? In Canada the blanket answer is "talk to Apple".

But spoiler alert, here are the three fix steps that they will do with you at the Genius Bar:

1. Power cycle your phone
2. Restore from iCloud
3. Erase but do not restore from iCloud (you still login but don't restore a backup)

If it's very easy to reproduce your issue at the store they will do a hardware test to see if there are any obvious errors, but otherwise I really recommend all three of these steps (sounds like you did #1, but make sure you can reproduce after each step) before making an appointment because it will cut a LOT of time - these are what the Apple Store folks will sit there and do with you in the store anyway.

(And do book an appointment online with your Apple Store, otherwise you could be waiting awhile...)

The problem is that is not easy to reproduce and I really have no clue what triggers the problem. I first noticed Friday when the restore from iCloud finished, I was checking the camera and everything was black and the touch screen unresponsive. Power down the phone and back on, the camera was working fine. It happened again yesterday while showing the phone to my dad, power cycled the phone and the camera started working again. Will do the delete all settings and restore tonight and see if the problem happens again.

jey_16

Banned
So following up on my car experience, I sat down today with my 6s and 7 and some Seinnheiser 280 Pro headphones to do a sound comparison with higher-quality audio. The Seinnheisers aren't quite audiophile-level quality, but I know them well, and they are relatively neutral. I equalized the volume (the 7 needed to actually go up one notch further than the 6s) so there was no perceptual difference due to loudness.

The result is not good. In all cases, the 7 had a loss of lower midrange frequencies, and a loss of the 3D soundstage. Overall all the songs I listened to on the 7 sounded muffled and thin, and most of the soundstage was focused in the center. Brittle and a loss of subtle detail. Listening to the 7 started to hurt my ears after a while the same way that listening to low bitrate mp3s used to do.

Here's a few songs I compared. Everything I listened to was 320 mp3/aac or Apple Lossless files. So, again, not audiophile "oh I won't notice" stuff, but average music files most people have in their library.

David Bowie – Five Years. On the 6s, I could hear the rattle of the opening snare and its satisfying midrange thump typical of early '70s recording style. On the 7 there was only a hint of rattle, and the thump had all the meat cut out of the bottom. Bowie's voice sounds thin and distant on the 7, blending into the other instruments. The lower frequencies of his voice are gone, same with the growling bassline.

Bjork – Like Someone in Love. This was recorded on a rooftop, and in the beginning you can hear kids playing and a big truck driving. The soundstage on the 6s is amazing and I feel like I'm in the middle of that scene, with the garbage truck rumbling through. On the 7 the soundstage is flattened considerably and the lower-end of the truck's growls and hisses are gone. And then there's Bjork's voice, which on the 7 has all the lower-range roundness taken out of it. It just sounds thin.

Led Zeppelin – Ramble On. The soundstage of the intro is fantastic on the 6s, you can pick out the locations of individual instruments, but no surprise, on the 7 it sounds very narrow, hazy, and thin.

Nina Simone – Why Keep On Breaking My Heart. The power of Nina's voice is lessened on the 7, both in force and texture. When the backup singers come in, her voice starts to blend in on the 7, while on the 6s it remains a singular thing. As with every other singer and instrument, there's a slice of lower-end frequencies that are absent in her voice on the 7. The bass also lacks punch.

Sonic Youth – Rats. So much detail lost in this song on the 7, from the punch of Kim Gordon's bass to the crispness of the snare. Then when Thurston's guitar wash comes in, on the 6s it covers the soundstage with subtle textures. On the 7 it's a vague hiss of sound. And when Lee Ranaldo's voice comes in, there's a growl on the 6s which is completely lost on the 7.

I could go on and on with other songs, but the point is, the 7 with the dongle is shit. This is a major step back after the great audio quality on the 6s, and I'd say it's probably the worst the iPhone has ever sounded. I don't know if they purposefully thinned the sound before it even hits the dongle to make it sound better on the earbuds, or if this is a hardware fumble, but the result is that I'm going to have to use a second iPhone when I want to listen to music because the audio quality with the 7 is not acceptable. It remains to be seen if lightning connection headphones also exhibit this problem. The earbuds are just not good enough quality to compare.

I've tried to stay neutral and open-minded on the no headphone jack issue, but after doing these tests I can say Apple really fucked up here. I am not happy.

very interesting, would be good to see what further tests show

Is there any way to upload the WCG images online yet without down converting?

Upload to imgur.com but it's not a matter of down converting. It's a matter of taking the ICC profile embedded in the image and translating it correctly for the colors that the display can actually produce.

If you upload an image taken with a WCG camera with an embedded WCG color profile to imgur.com it'll come down as an image with a WCG ICC profile embedded into it. Wide gamut displays will display the full image, sRGB displays (our regular desktop/laptop LCDs, non-Galaxy 7 Android handsets) will display the best it can. All of the desktop browsers are properly color managed these days. iOS is fully color managed. Android browsers on the other hand are not currently properly color managed so the image will probably look mangled on an Android handset.

If you upload a service that strips all metadata (including the embedded ICC profile) it'll look extremely muted on an sRGB display and muted on a DCI-P3 display as it thinks it's an sRGB image by default.

manakel

Decided to try my luck looking at the istock now website and low and behold, the Apple Store right by me had a Verizon, black 256gb 7+ in stock! So I hurried and made a reservation with Apple to pick it up after work.

I definitely only planned on getting 128gb, but I couldn't pass it up. Now a few questions - I have a jet black preordered through Verizon. Should I cancel that before I go pick it up? Also, I'm assuming the trade in bonus was only if you buy it through Verizon, right? So I won't be able to take advantage of that if I buy it at the Apple Store?

Don't know where else to put these (as I generally dislike Phone Warz threads):

iPhone 7 laps Galaxy Note 7 in "real-life speed test," and the display gets glowing praise from DisplayMate.

9to5Mac discussing DisplayMate findings said:
the iPhone 7 ‘sets many new display performance records,’ including picture quality, Absolute Color Accuracy and Absolute Calibration Accuracy. In fact, DisplayMate says the screen is more accurate not just than other smartphones, but any TV the company has ever tested.

and

Bloomberg reports that Samsung's exploding phones are a result of trying to beat iPhone 7 to market (which I think most already suspected).

The colors looked really muted so I double checked the Exif and abload.de wiped out the colorspace data. So you have DCI-P3 colorspace JPEGs and they're being displayed with an sRGB profile for most people so you're going to see a fair amount of desaturation.

I just double checked on imgur and it's not wiping out the P3 colorspace data.

Imgur version:

sqzcb0l.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
So following up on my car experience, I sat down today with my 6s and 7 and some Seinnheiser 280 Pro headphones to do a sound comparison with higher-quality audio. The Seinnheisers aren't quite audiophile-level quality, but I know them well, and they are relatively neutral. I equalized the volume (the 7 needed to actually go up one notch further than the 6s) so there was no perceptual difference due to loudness.

The result is not good. In all cases, the 7 had a loss of lower midrange frequencies, and a loss of the 3D soundstage. Overall all the songs I listened to on the 7 sounded muffled and thin, and most of the soundstage was focused in the center. Brittle and a loss of subtle detail. Listening to the 7 started to hurt my ears after a while the same way that listening to low bitrate mp3s used to do.

Here's a few songs I compared. Everything I listened to was 320 mp3/aac or Apple Lossless files. So, again, not audiophile "oh I won't notice" stuff, but average music files most people have in their library.

David Bowie – Five Years. On the 6s, I could hear the rattle of the opening snare and its satisfying midrange thump typical of early '70s recording style. On the 7 there was only a hint of rattle, and the thump had all the meat cut out of the bottom. Bowie's voice sounds thin and distant on the 7, blending into the other instruments. The lower frequencies of his voice are gone, same with the growling bassline.

Bjork – Like Someone in Love. This was recorded on a rooftop, and in the beginning you can hear kids playing and a big truck driving. The soundstage on the 6s is amazing and I feel like I'm in the middle of that scene, with the garbage truck rumbling through. On the 7 the soundstage is flattened considerably and the lower-end of the truck's growls and hisses are gone. And then there's Bjork's voice, which on the 7 has all the lower-range roundness taken out of it. It just sounds thin.

Led Zeppelin – Ramble On. The soundstage of the intro is fantastic on the 6s, you can pick out the locations of individual instruments, but no surprise, on the 7 it sounds very narrow, hazy, and thin.

Nina Simone – Why Keep On Breaking My Heart. The power of Nina's voice is lessened on the 7, both in force and texture. When the backup singers come in, her voice starts to blend in on the 7, while on the 6s it remains a singular thing. As with every other singer and instrument, there's a slice of lower-end frequencies that are absent in her voice on the 7. The bass also lacks punch.

Sonic Youth – Rats. So much detail lost in this song on the 7, from the punch of Kim Gordon's bass to the crispness of the snare. Then when Thurston's guitar wash comes in, on the 6s it covers the soundstage with subtle textures. On the 7 it's a vague hiss of sound. And when Lee Ranaldo's voice comes in, there's a growl on the 6s which is completely lost on the 7.

I could go on and on with other songs, but the point is, the 7 with the dongle is shit. This is a major step back after the great audio quality on the 6s, and I'd say it's probably the worst the iPhone has ever sounded. I don't know if they purposefully thinned the sound before it even hits the dongle to make it sound better on the earbuds, or if this is a hardware fumble, but the result is that I'm going to have to use a second iPhone when I want to listen to music because the audio quality with the 7 is not acceptable. It remains to be seen if lightning connection headphones also exhibit this problem. The earbuds are just not good enough quality to compare.

I've tried to stay neutral and open-minded on the no headphone jack issue, but after doing these tests I can say Apple really fucked up here. I am not happy.

Thanks for the impressions. Really disappointing.

Are there any good comparisons of 3.5mm vs bluetooth? I know that's a bit more difficult since most people won't be able to use the same headphones.

Top Bottom