• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Hustler

How much did you get?

Still need to sell mine.

Is there a reason you're not taking advantage of the trade in program? I received $650 credit for trading in my IPhone 6 plus. I would've maybe got $400 on ebay, minus the fees. Much better deal!

I am concerned by this as well. It could have been a fluke, but it would be nice if someone else tested it.

The 7 and 7+ have identical Geekbench scores. 7+ will hold clocks higher for longer because of its larger skin and heat dissipation, 7 will get higher frame rates on screen because of its lower resolution.

DirtyLarry

Calendar probably won't be a big deal as you can integrate google calendar into stock and plenty of other calendar apps.

Contacts you could I think sync over through gmail in the he stock email app, but you might find that a little trickier overall.

For contacts, iCloud is just a a syncing back-end. I don't believe there's any real difference between having contacts synced via iCloud vs. via Google.
Similarly, there's nothing 'special' about iCloud calendars.
Unless you wanna make use of the kind of features like "at the current state of traffic you should be leaving now, to make it to your appointment in time"

I would definitely use Safari, iMessage and apple's mail app, because hand-off is super neat, iCloud tabs and bookmark syncing is pretty useful as well.
Thanks for the replies.
I definitely want to take advantage of shit like the leave now and all of that good stuff, so I may start to try and slowly ease my way to Apple's Calendar app.

Using Safari is going to be near impossible. My online life is Chrome. I should be okay there though, although I do lose out on some integration.

This is going to take some getting used to no doubt.

I am just anxious as it has been awhile but I am very used to iOS thanks to the iPad itself, just do not use it as a I use a smartphone but I am sure after a few weeks it will all be second nature. I just want to make sure I am all in so to speak since I am making the switch. I now realize that will take some time.

Thanks again.

Is there a reason you're not taking advantage of the trade in program? I received $650 credit for trading in my IPhone 6 plus. I would've maybe got $400 on ebay, minus the fees. Much better deal!

For me it's because I want to upgrade next year and I'm not sure if I can on AT&T and still keep the credits coming.

I made the jump and got my first iPhone the 7 plus. So far things aren't going so great for me. Message and contact migration from Android did not go as planned. Nor did my universal apps make it over without some issues. I'm gonna keep working on it though and hopefully I can get back to near where I was on Android sooner rather than later.

I'm really enjoying how snappy the phone is and just how much I've noticed the Android jank. I knew it was there, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Getting the phones was kind of annoying since we had to travel 40 minutes to one store and then another 30 to another. I understand why Apple limits you to one reservation, but it was kind of silly that we couldn't get two phones at one location. We both ended up with 256gb 7 pluses, one black and the other rose gold.

Apple ship my watches soon please!

sangreal

I made the jump and got my first iPhone the 7 plus. So far things aren't going so great for me. Message and contact migration from Android did not go as planned. Nor did my universal apps make it over without some issues. I'm gonna keep working on it though and hopefully I can get back to near where I was on Android sooner rather than later.

I'm really enjoying how snappy the phone is and just how much I've noticed the Android jank. I knew it was there, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Getting the phones was kind of annoying since we had to travel 40 minutes to one store and then another 30 to another. I understand why Apple limits you to one reservation, but it was kind of silly that we couldn't get two phones at one location. We both ended up with 256gb 7 pluses, one black and the other rose gold.

Apple ship my watches soon please!

Your android contacts should be stored in your google account and then you can add that google account under settings->mail->accounts

And yeah, I love a lot of things android but the jankiness compared to iOS is unreal. I can't go back

//ARCANUM

Tonight I got a matte black iPhone 7+ 128gb on the iPhone upgrade program. Traded in my 6s+. So far I'm loving the phone. Not a ton of speed differences but I seriously love this new home button. The home buttons in iPhones have always driven me crazy (I've had an iPhone since the first one) because of inconsistency. Some would be nice and clicky, some would be mushy. I hated the mushy ones and loved the clicky ones. But it was always a crapshoot. And sometimes your clicky one would grow mushy over time. Now that the home button isn't a button and I can control the level of force feedback (I went with 3), I'm loving it. No headphone jack sucks what I can live. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I was originally gonna go with Jet Black until I saw the reports of it being VERY easy to scratch. (I saw a video where a guy opened a brand new one, touched the back to show fingerprints, wiped it off with his shirt and it was already scratched. From a cotton t shirt. That would drive me nuts. So I went with matte black (I dig the look of matte anyways and I have it in a silicone case so ¯_(ツ)_/¯ lol). I was wanting to grab a black case but they were out so I went with cocoa and.... it's actually kind of interesting. Might stick with it.

So yeah, great iPhone so far even if the upgrades are minimal.

Thanks for the replies.
I definitely want to take advantage of shit like the leave now and all of that good stuff, so I may start to try and slowly ease my way to Apple's Calendar app.

Using Safari is going to be near impossible. My online life is Chrome. I should be okay there though, although I do lose out on some integration.

Using Calendar with Google is fairly seamless. There's a few edge-case issues if you're using it in a group work environment, but overall it's fine.

Aside from lack of proper RSS feed support, I love Safari at this point. Using Reading List to have shared bookmarks between Mac and iOS devices is great, and iCloud Tabs lets you see open tabs on your other devices, which has saved me more than once. The fact that there's sharing integration for Reading List on all platforms certainly makes it fairly seamless.

Hm, sorry to hear about your migration troubles. Did you use Apple's migration tool app that's on the Play Store?

Hm, sorry to hear about your migration troubles. Did you use Apple's migration tool app that's on the Play Store?

Yeah I used it and all of my contacts are fragmented. It's not the end of the world, but I'm gonna have to see what can be done about it. Both my girlfriend and I used the migration tool and we both have the same issue so I guess we need a genius.

What's the policy on really small scuffs if I want to return the phone to an Apple store? Will they refund me within the 14 days if there is a very small scuff?

Yeah I used it and all of my contacts are fragmented. It's not the end of the world, but I'm gonna have to see what can be done about it. Both my girlfriend and I used the migration tool and we both have the same issue so I guess we need a genius.

Can you describe what you mean by fragmented?

Fliesen

Thanks for the replies.

This is going to take some getting used to no doubt.

I am just anxious as it has been awhile but I am very used to iOS thanks to the iPad itself, just do not use it as a I use a smartphone but I am sure after a few weeks it will all be second nature. I just want to make sure I am all in so to speak since I am making the switch. I now realize that will take some time.

Thanks again.

Yeah, Google chrome syncs booksmarks, passwords, tabs as well - it's just that the iPhone doesn't allow you to change the default browser app, and you'll be constantly pushed into safari whenever you tap an URL in another app.

So it's not Safari that does anything 'better', really, but Apple just being a bully about third party browsers on iOS ;)

Here's your cable teardown and yes there is a DAC in line on the connector with the amp on the other side of it.

sweet, thanks!

Can you describe what you mean by fragmented?

Contacts were forked in iMessage and under contacts. So a complete contact would contain picture and info. But what's happening for us is that we're only getting partial information and multiple entries for the same people. We tried cleaning it up and merging them, but it doesn't resolve the issue. These contacts are clean when you look at them from our Google accounts. So now I have a thread for texts and iMessage that don't want to merge together.

jaosobno

So the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus has a hissing problem eh? Hopefully they can fix this with the second shipments. I cant get my iPhone 7 anytime soon anyways.

It's highly questionable if this is even a real issue or just a paranoia over new, expensive device.

I already wrote about this before, but I'll repeat some things about hissing here:

- it appears that it's only audible when you hold the phone's back side to your ear at camera level

- iPhone 7 is not the only iPhone that makes that sound. I've personally heard the same noise coming from 6s+ and people report that iPhones all the way down to 5s make the same noise

- some people mentioned (and I found a thread on reddit) that Galaxy Note 4 made the same noise, again, at camera level

- Imore tested several devices, including non-smartphone devices and reported the same sound. Here is an article about it:

http://www.imore.com/no-hiss-buzz-n...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=im

Personally I think this is only an issue if you can hear this noise in normal usage (as in not holding the back side of the phone to your ear, but making calls, browsing, gaming, etc.).

Yesterday I made a call to local Apple store and inquired about the hiss (since I have yet to receive my preordered iPhone 7+). The guy on the phone assured me that he's "99% sure that the phone won't make that noise", but if it did that they will gladly replace the device. Also, they had no technical information as to why that is happening.

Has anyone tried their iPhone with a seperate DAC yet? I doubt there are Lightning ones though, so you'd still need the 3.5mm to connect it to the iPhone?

mrkgoo

Contacts were forked in iMessage and under contacts. So a complete contact would contain picture and info. But what's happening for us is that we're only getting partial information and multiple entries for the same people. We tried cleaning it up and merging them, but it doesn't resolve the issue. These contacts are clean when you look at them from our Google accounts. So now I have a thread for texts and iMessage that don't want to merge together.

Messages on the phones have always had threads unmerged depending on whether they were being sent from heir phone number or iMessage identifier.

Might not be what you're seeing though, as your contacts are also split.

AgeEighty

I got stuck with a delivery window of Oct 4 - 12 for my iPhone 7 Plus 128GB in matte Black, but I got a notification Monday morning that my phone has shipped and is scheduled to arrive this Friday. Hooray!

Fliesen

Has anyone tried their iPhone with a seperate DAC yet? I doubt there are Lightning ones though, so you'd still need the 3.5mm to connect it to the iPhone?

as borghe has pointed out, you can already just use the lightning -> USB ("camera connection kit") and use any(?) USB-DAC on the market. it's a double-dongle solution, but you'll be able to use the same DAC on more devices than just your iPhone
uha-6s-mkii-iphone.jpg

as borghe has pointed out, you can already just use the lightning -> USB ("camera connection kit") and use any(?) USB-DAC on the market. it's a double-dongle solution, but you'll be able to use the same DAC on more devices than just your iPhone

Ah cool, thanks. I must of missed that post.

I'll check how much those Lightning>USB cable costs..

EDIT: £29

I'm trying to move all my contacts/messages from my galaxy to the new iphone, but the andriod to IOS app that I'm using keeps getting stuck halfway through the transfer.

Is there an easier way to import all my stuff?

Chittagong

Gold Member

I've been using my iPhone 6S Plus and SE with Oppo PM-3 lightning DAC/amp for a year now. Works well. You can only plug 3.5mm headphones to the DAC tho.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You would never connect a DAC with a headphone adapter. That's the point of a digital-analog convertor. You are taking the digital output from the iPhone and having a separate device (DAC) turn it into an analog signal. You would connect your headphones to this. It is cumbersome, but for honest audiophiles, it is almost a must as you have total control over the audio quality, and as you move the DAC from one device to another, the audio properties are identical. Back when my hearing was actually great (I'm 41 now), I would have KILLED for how portable DACs are now. We had clunky preamps as large as any HT equipment. Hardly portable, nor did we have many portable devices sending out a digital signal.

chrizzz09

Guys just came across this on reddit:

Teardown of Lightning to 3.5mm Adapter shows DAC inside

Video has English subtitles.

Some highlights:
  • Both the adapter and Lightning EarPods has what appears to be a combination ADC/DAC/amp on the lightning side of the connector
  • The connectors has a layer of plastic, a metal shield, another layer of plastic, and at least in the EarPods, also glue/adhesive over the DAC chip. One can only speculate, but this amount of material around the board is for both mechanical protection, and for protection against humidity.
  • The chip is not marked with a manufacturer, but bears the marking "338S00140" - judging by the teardown of the phones themselves, this is likely a custom-made-for Apple chip by a third party. Possibly Cirrus Logic or Dialog Semiconductor - both manufacturers have products that fit the bill in terms of specifications.
  • Dialog has products whose Dynamic range figures closely match what the 100 dBA dynamic range measured for the adapter, but this is pure speculation
  • The chip in the EarPods and adapter, while bearing the same identifier are variants of each other.
This should kill any speculation about analog audio via Lightning dead once and for all.

Website source in Vietnamese

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ok your point ? People are making it look like the damn thing scratches just by looking at it.

It's going to get scratched from regular use if left caseless. Just the act of putting it down and picking it up from hard surfaces is going to leave marks eventually.

Best start accepting that fact right now.

Hustler

I went to an Apple Store yesterday to try and was told to check this page at 12:01 AM every day to check availability for pickup for the iPhone upgrade program:

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?channel=1&iPP=U

There are actually 7 Pluses available in NYC! Too bad Matte Black is unavailable. Oh well.

Is the upgrade program required or would they let me pick up an iPhone I already preordered and isn't scheduled to arrive until oct 12-18th? I see they have a black 7 plus 256gb in stock.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Is the upgrade program required or would they let me pick up an iPhone I already preordered and isn't scheduled to arrive until oct 12-18th? I see they have a black 7 plus 256gb in stock.

I believe it's for the upgrade program only.

creatchee

My 7 Plus Jet Black 128 shipped today from China! I had pre-ordered directly from Apple at about 3:14AM after they went live and got 4-6 weeks with a delivery date between October 16 and 31 previously. I think they're ahead of schedule at this point.

It's meant to be used for iUp but you don't have to purchase it that way.

Fliesen

sweet, just got the shipping confirmation, delivery 9/22

totally gonna set it up as a new phone and force myself to change all my "convenience passwords" to new non-reused per-service passwords. Been planning on doing that for ages now.

j-wood

New iPhone user. Been android since the beginning.

I was able to import my google calendar into the stock calendar app, and currently have the google one set to default. I'm also using inbox as my email app, but I do have my gmail account syncing to the stock mail app.

Will my phone still read emails and add things to my calendar and whatnot? How do I get travel times like I had with google now?

Erebus

sweet, just got the shipping confirmation, delivery 9/22

totally gonna set it up as a new phone and force myself to change all my "convenience passwords" to new non-reused per-service passwords. Been planning on doing that for ages now.
I'd like to set it up as new too but I don't know if I can partially restore my photos and messages.

j-wood

Posting for the new page

New iPhone user. Been android since the beginning.

I was able to import my google calendar into the stock calendar app, and currently have the google one set to default. I'm also using inbox as my email app, but I do have my gmail account syncing to the stock mail app.

Will my phone still read emails and add things to my calendar and whatnot? How do I get travel times like I had with google now?

Top Bottom