• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

If the airpods fit your ear and you're not an audiphile, they're

* self charging
* completely wireless (therefore tangle free and also useable in one ear only)
* easy pairing
* light

wireless buds for an okay price.

That's not an OK price.

This is an OK price. Even this.

If the AirPods didn't have that stem (or it was much shorter) I would pick them up in a heart beat. Thankfully, the Beats X & updated Power Beats quick charge / pair with the W1 chip ala AirPods. So much better looking.

Yearly upgrader here, beyond satisfied in the 7 Plus. Only issue I've run into is the Bluetooth dropping in my M4. Ill chalk that up to BMWs Bluetooth profiles before Apple, though.

I've had nothing but bluetooth dropping on iOS 10 w/ my 6+. Didn't have this issue w/ iOS 9.

If the airpods fit your ear and you're not an audiphile, they're

* self charging
* completely wireless (therefore tangle free and also useable in one ear only)
* easy pairing
* light

wireless buds for an okay price.

I don't think that's really an okay price, more of an Apple premium than anything else. The charging is slick I admit but I'd have preferred better battery life instead.

I'm personally aiming for Beats Solo3 Wireless

I hope Sennheiser comes out with something wireless soon. I refuse to buy anything Beats branded.

So my phone got shipped today but apparently AT&T got the impression that I called them the iPhone 7 and activated it, while it's still in China..

Been trying to get it fixed so I can use my old phone but fuck me, the AT&T site is so horrible.

Erebus

My 7+ also seems to make the processor noise people have been talking about but for me to hear it I literally need to put the back of the phone up to my ear so I don't think it's an issue I'm going to care about.

Same, unless it's proven that it's an actual fault which warrants a recall/replacement - I'm not too concerned.

Can you record a video in a silent room to see if the noise is picked up and can be heard during playback?

ESBL

You guys think the Airpods will be compatible with the Earskinz? I hear they improve fit and seal significantly.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
It's going to get scratched from regular use if left caseless. Just the act of putting it down and picking it up from hard surfaces is going to leave marks eventually.

Best start accepting that fact right now.
You're right. My case came in today, its one of those black bumpers with the clear back. Jet black models have this weird defect where there are air bubbles on the back of the phone, with a clear case. It's lame as hell.

robotrock

Banned
You're right. My case came in today, its one of those black bumpers with the clear back. Jet black models have this weird defect where there are air bubbles on the back of the phone, with a clear case. It's lame as hell.

Yo are there any pictures of that out there? Sounds nuts

Hoo-doo

Banned

Air bubbles in the actual paint? That sounds off, i'd get that replaced.

Hustler

I just received a text notification that my iPhone is on its way, but without an updated date. Original date is Oct 12-18th.... get excited or no?

My 7+ also seems to make the processor noise people have been talking about but for me to hear it I literally need to put the back of the phone up to my ear so I don't think it's an issue I'm going to care about.

Same, I just tried it. I truly don't get the complaints, it's not noticeable unless my ear is firmly planted on the phone itself

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
So it was shipped late last week and supposed to be delivered today - and then I checked today and it indicates it never left China and there was a "rescheduled delivery." This sucks - anybody else had this problem?

well, much like the hissing, people noticed because they're looking for hissing. Much like everyone tried to get the bars to drop when wilfully cupping their iPhone 4.
It's not like these problems didn't exist or like nobody should be able to make out differences between the headphones with and without an adapter. It's just that, with iPhone releases, ever since the iPhone 4 really, people are intentionally looking for these "well, now that you mention it ... " flaws.

So you're saying I was merely looking for flaws? *side eye commencing*

I made that first post about the quality after plugging it in to my mediocre car stereo. Even there I knew something was different right away. That's what prompted me to do the listening test with the 6s and 7. Yeah, maybe I have better ears than most people, but that doesn't mean I was trying to find something wrong. I had no agenda against losing the jack, I just expected the adapter to sound as good.

At least now we know it's the adapter. I assume that's why the impedence is so low. Hopefully I can find something more portable than the lightning DACs I've seen, but with better quality than that trash adapter.

I did. useful for keeping them from getting tangled in my bag or pocket

Same. But admittedly they were a pain to put back in.

Jigolo

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on here about the bug on how 3.5mm adapters are crapping out after 5 min of use

icespide

Banned
I've used my friend's and love them but they are legit the fugliest mainstream premium headphones. Fat, assymetrical, and dated design makes me so sad.

I'm not a hipster about mainstream brands so Bose and Beats are good with me.

I dunno I like the way they look. they just look like some regular ass understated headphones. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've used my friend's and love them but they are legit the fugliest mainstream premium headphones. Fat, assymetrical, and dated design makes me so sad.

I'm not a hipster about mainstream brands so Bose and Beats are good with me.

In what world are these the fugliest mainstream premium headphones? What kind of headphones are you wearing?

bose-qc35-1-1500x1000c1k1q.jpg

So apparently, my iPhone 7 has somehow been activated in China, and AT&T is telling me that the only way to use my 6 plus again is to go to their store and get a new sim card. I just really hope that my 7 hasn't be fucked around with somehow and I'm going to end up with an empty box on Friday.

breakfuss

I just received a text notification that my iPhone is on its way, but without an updated date. Original date is Oct 12-18th.... get excited or no?

I got that text as well. Kinda misleading. I believe it's just a reminder for the trade-in offer.

So apparently, my iPhone 7 has somehow been activated in China, and AT&T is telling me that the only way to use my 6 plus again is to go to their store and get a new sim card. I just really hope that my 7 hasn't be fucked around with somehow and I'm going to end up with an empty box on Friday.

The box doesn't need to be opened to activate the phone.

Hanzou

I did a quick search but couldn't find it. How much space is there on a fresh install of ios10/iPhone 7. Trying to ballpark space available on a factory new 7 or a factory new and upgraded to ios 10, 6s. I would think they would be similar in storage use.

Fliesen

That's not an OK price.

This is an OK price. Even this.

I've had nothing but bluetooth dropping on iOS 10 w/ my 6+. Didn't have this issue w/ iOS 9.

I don't think that's really an okay price, more of an Apple premium than anything else. The charging is slick I admit but I'd have preferred better battery life instead.

it's an okay price for what those earbuds offer.
Please, find me entirely wireless (no wire between the individual earphones) earbuds that are of similar size and battery life.

Samsung's are $199, Bragi's are $299.

The airpods aren't cheap, i never said that. But they're reasonably priced for what they are. Unless you can come up with a pair of earphones that are 100% cordless and are priced below $100, don't complain about the price - it's simply not the category of earphone's you're looking for.

This is as meaningless as pointing at 49$ on-ears and saying 399$ Sennheisers are way overpriced.
Both devices are wired headphones, that's about it. Compared to those cheapo bluetooth buds, AirPods are leaps and bounds ahead in ergonomics / portability / 'wirelessness'. Just because that's not a feature you care much about doesn't invalidate it.

So you're saying I was merely looking for flaws? *side eye commencing*

I made that first post about the quality after plugging it in to my mediocre car stereo. Even there I knew something was different right away. That's what prompted me to do the listening test with the 6s and 7. Yeah, maybe I have better ears than most people, but that doesn't mean I was trying to find something wrong. I had no agenda against losing the jack, I just expected the adapter to sound as good.

At least now we know it's the adapter. I assume that's why the impedence is so low. Hopefully I can find something more portable than the lightning DACs I've seen, but with better quality than that trash adapter.

The audio quality issue is actually the issue that is the least compareable to the whole "gate"-craze. I have no reason to doubt that you're one of those people who would have noticed something 'off' during regular use.

But to most people, this would have been a non-issue, had it been not brough up.

But i digress, it's nowhere close to shit like "my iPhone hisses if i press my ear against it while running benchmarks" "my iPhone drops bars if i cup it" "my iPhone BENDS IF I TRY TO BEND IT"

derder

In what world are these the fugliest mainstream premium headphones? What kind of headphones are you wearing?
I've been using these with my MBP and android phone. Better SQ than the Bose QC35 and just as comfortable. The Noise Canceling isn't as extreme, however.
phphdelbd.jpg

DOWN

Banned
I dunno I like the way they look. they just look like some regular ass understated headphones. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement
You are making an unfortunate fashion statement with them
I honestly have no clue what this is trying to express.
There have been many audiophile posts on GAF saying don't buy Bose or Beats because they are okay sounding but way overpriced. A la don't buy Apple because their stuff is ok but overpriced.

They're pretty huge and ugly. Clumsy from an aesthetic standpoint.

I find their bulging oval eggs and wrinkly ear cups horrible

and that's not even the worst Bose has out right now:
bose_714675_0020_soundlink_on_ear_blue_1078141.jpg

But I'm not here to kink shame

If we're talking wireless headphones, what are the best ones that last a long time (12+ hours)? I have the B&O headphones but I don't find them very comfortable for long flights.

it's an okay price for what those earbuds offer.
Please, find me entirely wireless (no wire between the individual earphones) earbuds that are of similar size and battery life.

Samsung's are $199, Bragi's are $299.

The airpods aren't cheap, i never said that. But they're reasonably priced for what they are. Unless you can come up with a pair of earphones that are 100% cordless and are priced below $100, don't complain about the price - it's simply not the category of earphone's you're looking for.

This is as meaningless as pointing at 49$ on-ears and saying 399$ Sennheisers are way overpriced.
Both devices are wired headphones, that's about it. Compared to those cheapo bluetooth buds, AirPods are leaps and bounds ahead in ergonomics / portability / 'wirelessness'. Just because that's not a feature you care much about doesn't invalidate it.

The audio quality issue is actually the issue that is the least compareable to the whole "gate"-craze. I have no reason to doubt that you're one of those people who would have noticed something 'off' during regular use.

But to most people, this would have been a non-issue, had it been not brough up.

But i digress, it's nowhere close to shit like "my iPhone hisses if i press my ear against it while running benchmarks" "my iPhone drops bars if i cup it" "my iPhone BENDS IF I TRY TO BEND IT"

Fair enough. You're right about the feature might hold value to others even if it doesn't to me. To me the lack of wire isn't a bonus worth paying for. Just means it's gonna hit the ground if it ever slips out.

robotrock

Banned
Fair enough. You're right about the feature might hold value to others even if it doesn't to me. To me the lack of wire isn't a bonus worth paying for. Just means it's gonna hit the ground if it ever slips out.

I agree, the Airpods will hit the ground if they slip out of the ear, but from all the impressions and reviews of them so far, they seem to not slip out. I've seen multiple people on video pull off jumping jacks and run laps with the Airpods staying in.

Top Bottom