• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

ZOONAMI

So what are the delivery dates at Apple stores? Do they get shipments of stuff every day? Weekly?

Want to keep an eye out for a 7 plus in store but i don't know if they are even getting fresh shipments.

I know there is that IUP stock tracker / reservation maker but I don't really want to check that several times a day lol.

Fliesen

oh btw, 9/22 is 6 days earlier than my initial shipment estimate - maybe that'll help people get their hopes up who have late sept. delivery dates.

Red

So what are the delivery dates at Apple stores? Do they get shipments of stuff every day? Weekly?

Want to keep an eye out for a 7 plus in store but i don't know if they are even getting fresh shipments.

I know there is that IUP stock tracker / reservation maker but I don't really want to check that several times a day lol.
I went in store to ask about this yesterday, and was told they don't know when shipments will come in. Was advised to check daily as early as possible.

andycapps

Posting for the new page

New iPhone user. Been android since the beginning.

I was able to import my google calendar into the stock calendar app, and currently have the google one set to default. I'm also using inbox as my email app, but I do have my gmail account syncing to the stock mail app.

Will my phone still read emails and add things to my calendar and whatnot? How do I get travel times like I had with google now?
Use Google Maps, add widget to your lockscreen is one of the ways of accomplishing this. You could use the Google app which is basically Google Now, from what I understand.

Also get Gboard, it's great. Crazy that Google doesn't have it for Android.

Owari

So you can't manually change the autocorrect anymore? Trying to make "fuck" autocorrect to "fuck" instead of "duck" leads me with no results. They must have disabled having the same phrase word as shortcut word. Ducking iOS 10.

Other than that I'm totally loving the jet black 7. Pics soon.

j-wood

Use Google Maps, add widget to your lockscreen is one of the ways of accomplishing this. You could use the Google app which is basically Google Now, from what I understand.

Also get Gboard, it's great. Crazy that Google doesn't have it for Android.

I'm trying to just go all in on the apple stuff to make the transition/phone smoother. I tried Gboard and I loved the google button, but there was noticable lag if i typed fast, something I don't get on the stock board.

Crazyorloco

I went to an Apple Store yesterday to try and was told to check this page at 12:01 AM every day to check availability for pickup for the iPhone upgrade program:

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/US/en_US/reserve/iPhone/availability?channel=1&iPP=U

There are actually 7 Pluses available in NYC! Too bad Matte Black is unavailable. Oh well.

Wooo this actually helped me reserve a Tmobile Iphone 7 Plus 128GB silver version in the Fifth avenue store in NYC. Thanks. I wanted matte black, but I'll take freaking any color right now. It'll have a case anyway.

It seems like TMobile ones have the lowest stock.

Is this only for people under the Iphone upgrade program? I am not in that program lol ughh *edit* just checked the thread posts from earlier: This is for Iphone Upgrades -_-. Will I still be able to purchase?

andycapps

I'm trying to just go all in on the apple stuff to make the transition/phone smoother. I tried Gboard and I loved the google button, but there was noticable lag if i typed fast, something I don't get on the stock board.
The Apple Maps Application is much better than at launch. It's definitely usable now, but my main app is Waze. I know you can give it access to your Google Calendar and it will tell you when to leave.

Blackhead

Redarse
I like the new home button a lot more than I thought I would.

ugh, :/ the taptic engine is very nice, and I like what they're doing with API for developers, but the home button is visibly a kludge while they get ready for next year's model. Even after explaining it twice my uncle is still confused at why when he presses the button the whole bottom of the phone now vibrates. Imagine if Apple had replaced the Macbook trackpad so when it's pressed the entire palm rest vibrates — that's how unintuitive the new home button is. Apple really should have removed the button (replace it with a touchid/fingerprint sign maybe) but the rumors say they are waiting til next year to just remove the bezels completely.

j-wood

Ok so here is something I can't figure out. If i open an event on my calendar and turn on "travel time" I don't have any option for starting location? I can only select manual times (30 minutes, an hour, etc).

Should I be able to do what this link is indicating?

http://www.imore.com/how-use-travel-times-calendar-iphone-and-ipad

Also, facebook doesn't seem to be syncing profile photos even though I enabled all the stuff and manually did an "update contacts". It's linking them, just no profile photos.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm kinda pissed went on pre-order day to our Sprint store to order our phones, still no notifications/estimate whatsoever, feels bad man.
I hope we get them soon, been itching to go from the 6 to the 7 Plus.

ugh, :/ the taptic engine is very nice, and I like what they're doing with API for developers, but the home button is visibly a kludge while they get ready for next year's model. Even after explaining it twice my uncle is still confused at why when he presses the button the whole bottom of the phone now vibrates. Imagine if Apple had replaced the Macbook trackpad so when it's pressed the entire palm rest vibrates — that's how unintuitive the new home button is. Apple really should have removed the button (replace it with a touchid/fingerprint sign maybe) but the rumors say they are waiting til next year to just remove the bezels completely.

I'm just saying it feels fine to me, it almost feels like a real button.

Draper

Is there a reason you're not taking advantage of the trade in program? I received $650 credit for trading in my IPhone 6 plus. I would've maybe got $400 on ebay, minus the fees. Much better deal!

I buy my phones at full price so I can use my t-mobile 30 dollar plan. Unless there's still a way that I'm not aware of?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I buy my phones at full price so I can use my t-mobile 30 dollar plan. Unless there's still a way that I'm not aware of?

I'd like to know too.
Technically I have T-Mobile, and that's what it shows on my carrier info but it's through one of those MVNO things.

Does that still work?

Fliesen

check out 1password maybe?

it's not for the lack of a password manager - the iCloud keychain works perfectly fine and even suggests complex passwords.

But often times, you still have to access certain accounts (gmail, facebook, steam, GAF, etc.) from machines that aren't your own, let alone Apple devices.

I switched to a "pass phrase" that 'encodes' the name of the service in the password. It's a compromise of "easy-to-remember" yet "different-across-services". Done it with my AppleID, PSN, Dropbox and a few other accounts now.
When i set up my iPhone, i'll do it for facebook, amazon, etc.

j-wood

Ok, figured out the travel time deal. It was because the entires were going to google calendar. I didn't really have that many, so I manualy moved them over to the apple. So the only thing Google I have left that i'm actively using is my gmail account, and that won't change. Trying to use all apple stuff. Google maps is installed of course though.

For the pack in headhpones (and ear buds in general really), I have NEVER been able to figure out what that plastic clip that slides up is for. Are you supposed to slide that up when you wrap up the headhpones? Or is it to slide up while you are using, to close the gap?

Fliesen

Nobody knows.

Seriously though, my guess is what you said, to tighten the gap. Bit weird if you ask me!

yeah, it's meant to "tighten" the headphones. Like, if you're wearing them behind your neck, so the individual cords to the earbuds are less dangly.

The "tightener" (for the lack of a better word) on the original iPod earphones was closed around both wires.

earphone-for-ipod-nano-3rd-gen-km-e138-721.jpg

I'm not convinced anyone has noticed a perceptible difference in quality.

well, much like the hissing, people noticed because they're looking for hissing. Much like everyone tried to get the bars to drop when wilfully cupping their iPhone 4.
It's not like these problems didn't exist or like nobody should be able to make out differences between the headphones with and without an adapter. It's just that, with iPhone releases, ever since the iPhone 4 really, people are intentionally looking for these "well, now that you mention it ... " flaws.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The little white snap thingie is for when you're transporting your earbuds. You slide it up to the buds and lock the wires together. That way they don't get tangled as quickly while they are in your bag or pocket.

Like so:

hwalker84

My 7+ impressions since the 16th.

While the design didn't change much the small designs they did do are a massive improvement.

I don't care about the headphone jack as I don't use my phone as a media player anyway.

I took me one or two presses of the home button to get used to it.

Wasn't impressed by the 6s+ camera but this one seems to be noticeably better.

I would also say my phone feels smoother than my 6s+. iOS10 felt buggy and unresponsive at times on my 6s+.

Overall i'm happy.

it's not for the lack of a password manager - the iCloud keychain works perfectly fine and even suggests complex passwords.

But often times, you still have to access certain accounts (gmail, facebook, steam, GAF, etc.) from machines that aren't your own, let alone Apple devices.

I switched to a "pass phrase" that 'encodes' the name of the service in the password. It's a compromise of "easy-to-remember" yet "different-across-services". Done it with my AppleID, PSN, Dropbox and a few other accounts now.
When i set up my iPhone, i'll do it for facebook, amazon, etc.
Oh yeah I get you. Sounds good.

I've had my 7 Plus since Sunday and love it. There's that tiny bit of extra speed in it in the small things, camera is awesome, screen likes more vibrant, battery life does seem a bit better after some weirdness yesterday. I love the new home button, and think it feels better than the actual button I've been using for so many years. Headphone jack is missed but I'm sure I'll get past it. I'm happier than I expected to be with it honestly.

My 7+ also seems to make the processor noise people have been talking about but for me to hear it I literally need to put the back of the phone up to my ear so I don't think it's an issue I'm going to care about.

SuperPac

So you can't manually change the autocorrect anymore? Trying to make "fuck" autocorrect to "fuck" instead of "duck" leads me with no results. They must have disabled having the same phrase word as shortcut word. Ducking iOS 10.

Other than that I'm totally loving the jet black 7. Pics soon.

Settings/General/Keyboard/Text Replacement does some of this. I have various shortcuts set to expand through that, anyway. It'd probably work for this purpose. Otherwise I believe the system learns after a certain number of you changing it back.

KevinG

Did anyone on Earth actually use the plastic case the EarPods came in inside the previous iPhone boxes

I wrapped it back up after every use.

Was bummed that the new phones didn't come with a new plastic case, as mine have all worn out from so much use that they don't snap back together anymore.

jcutner

My 7+ also seems to make the processor noise people have been talking about but for me to hear it I literally need to put the back of the phone up to my ear so I don't think it's an issue I'm going to care about.

Same, unless it's proven that it's an actual fault which warrants a recall/replacement - I'm not too concerned.

kaskade

Is apple ever early with their delivery estimates? I should've just bought the leather case when I was in the store but I wasn't sure if I really wanted one. It's saying earliest delivery on the 28th of September.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The little white snap thingie is for when you're transporting your earbuds. You slide it up to the buds and lock the wires together. That way they don't get tangled as quickly while they are in your bag or pocket.

Like so:

mind blown.

iMax

Like so:

Holy shit. This changes everything.

Fliesen

Is apple ever early with their delivery estimates? I should've just bought the leather case when I was in the store but I wasn't sure if I really wanted one. It's saying earliest delivery on the 28th of September.

as i posted earlier today:

my estimate was 9/28, got the shipping notification today. it's leaving prague as we speak and it should be here 9/22

If the AirPods didn't have that stem (or it was much shorter) I would pick them up in a heart beat. Thankfully, the Beats X & updated Power Beats quick charge / pair with the W1 chip ala AirPods. So much better looking.

Yearly upgrader here, beyond satisfied in the 7 Plus. Only issue I've run into is the Bluetooth dropping in my M4. Ill chalk that up to BMWs Bluetooth profiles before Apple, though.

Top Bottom