• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I agree, the Airpods will hit the ground if they slip out of the ear, but from all the impressions and reviews of them so far, they seem to not slip out. I've seen multiple people on video pull off jumping jacks and run laps with the Airpods staying in.

Everything slips out at some point, for some reason. Even if they only slip out twice a year, with a wire it just dangles around my neck. With this...I hope it's not when I'm on the subway.

Gravity sucks

Sure does, lmao. Would rather a tether to minimize the damage.

Dinokill

iPhone 7 here! When I'm in landscape mode surfing the web and hit the home button two times, my screen looks weird for a fraction of a second. It's like the home screen tries to go landscape( I can see the stretched out icons) and then it goes normal.

That doesn't seem so expensive and the battery life seems great, I'll have to look into these.
My boyfriend ordered a pair today (I don't know why but he did) and he researched for a good few hours before ordering so I assume they're good.

Should have some impressions when they arrive :p

Fliesen

Fair enough. You're right about the feature might hold value to others even if it doesn't to me. To me the lack of wire isn't a bonus worth paying for. Just means it's gonna hit the ground if it ever slips out.

at work, or when i'm riding my bike to work, i'm almost exclusively using my earbuds with just 1 ear in - for 'awareness of my surroundings' reasons. being able to just wear one earphone, no wires attached, would be like a godsend.

Still i'm gonna opt for the beatsX for workout reasons.

Gravity sucks

funnily, i think what makes earphones slip out is something pulling at the wire.

Hustler

it's an okay price for what those earbuds offer.
Please, find me entirely wireless (no wire between the individual earphones) earbuds that are of similar size and battery life.

Samsung's are $199, Bragi's are $299.

The airpods aren't cheap, i never said that. But they're reasonably priced for what they are. Unless you can come up with a pair of earphones that are 100% cordless and are priced below $100, don't complain about the price - it's simply not the category of earphone's you're looking for.

This is as meaningless as pointing at 49$ on-ears and saying 399$ Sennheisers are way overpriced.
Both devices are wired headphones, that's about it. Compared to those cheapo bluetooth buds, AirPods are leaps and bounds ahead in ergonomics / portability / 'wirelessness'. Just because that's not a feature you care much about doesn't invalidate it.

The audio quality issue is actually the issue that is the least compareable to the whole "gate"-craze. I have no reason to doubt that you're one of those people who would have noticed something 'off' during regular use.

But to most people, this would have been a non-issue, had it been not brough up.

But i digress, it's nowhere close to shit like "my iPhone hisses if i press my ear against it while running benchmarks" "my iPhone drops bars if i cup it" "my iPhone BENDS IF I TRY TO BEND IT"

Don't forget Bragi is releasing a more affordable version in November. If you preorder, it's $119. Retail is $149. If you know someone who bought the dash, they were given a $20 off coupon for the new headphones. So I preordered mine for $99.

Fliesen

Don't forget Bragi is releasing a more affordable version in November. If you preorder, it's $119. Retail is $149. If you know someone who bought the dash, they were given a $20 off coupon for the new headphones. So I preordered mine for $99.

colleague of mine was a backer of the Bragi. They got bricked during a software update and their customer support is kinda sucky and unresponsive - also, i want wireless buds that have the W1 chip, because i'll be constantly switching between my iPhone, iPad and macbook.

EmSeta

Sorry if this has been asked ITT, but:

Are there any decent games around to show off the new beastly GPU? That Oz thing they showed off at the conference didn't look too hot.

ZOONAMI

So target has iPhone 7 pluses in stock in store only, for sprint it is showing a $200 gift card for the 128gb plus model.

I just dont know if that $200 gc is worth suffering sprint service for 12+ months. On T-Mobile now.

Would also mean getting a new number, etc. My T-Mobile account is sort of in limbo after the note 7 recall and I have a loaner s7 right now. Worried if I just did a number port it would cause all kinds of problems to sort out with T-Mobile. If I just drop off my loaner and note 7 and say I'll just use my old HTC I have laying around, I figure i could safely cancel out my lines after the eips all go away.

Crazyorloco

cancelled my order with tmobile (estimated shipping was November 1 -30th)....Heading to my local Apple store to pick up a reserved Iphone 7 plus. Yay!

So target has iPhone 7 pluses in stock in store only, for sprint it is showing a $200 gift card for the 128gb plus model.

I just dont know if that $200 gc is worth suffering sprint service for 12+ months. On T-Mobile now.
Lol i wouldn't do it. Good service is worth staying. I too suffered with sprint.

I don't think that's really an okay price, more of an Apple premium than anything else. The charging is slick I admit but I'd have preferred better battery life instead.

I hope Sennheiser comes out with something wireless soon. I refuse to buy anything Beats branded.

Beats were overpriced with poor sound quality for years. The Solo2 were legit though. Legit enough that Innerfidelity still has them on their wall of fame.

I just received a text notification that my iPhone is on its way, but without an updated date. Original date is Oct 12-18th.... get excited or no?

Did you order from the Apple Store? Just curious since my 7 Plus order is through Apple and has a October 12th-18th date and I haven't seen any movement on it.

Ugh, was supposed to have my 7+ today. But for some reason it got delayed in China. Said it arrived in Korea this morning.

But when I called UPS to confirm when it's going to arrive they said even though it's tagged as arrived in Korea it's still in China as that was a computerized scan and not done by an actual human.

Gotta work from home to sign for the damned thing as my neighbor would snatch it up if left out too long.

Ugh, was supposed to have my 7+ today. But for some reason it got delayed in China. Said it arrived in Korea this morning.

But when I called UPS to confirm when it's going to arrive they said even though it's tagged as arrived in Korea it's still in China as that was a computerized scan and not done by an actual human.

Gotta work from home to sign for the damned thing as my neighbor would snatch it up if left out too long.

Sounds like something similar happened to my watch order. Instead of landing in America today it ended up in Korea as well.

I got my wife a 32GB Rose Gold 7 and myself a 128GB Jet Black 7 Plus. Hers was delivered Friday and I was told mine will be 11/1-11/30. Which sucks, but whatever. (Oh, and I ordered through T-Mobile on their trade in deal).

So. Last Friday, she was at home, I was at work. Her phone hadn't shown up yet at about 3PM. I called T-Mobile to get a tracking number. The automated system gave me the number, but it didn't work on UPS's website, I probably got a digit wrong. Then I got a representative.

HIM: Looks like the order is in the warehouse, likely to be shipped out Monday or Tuesday.

ME: :mad: How can that be?? The automated line gave me a tracking number!

HIM: Oh, I'm sorry... you have two orders, I see. Yeah, the 32GB Rose Gold just got delivered two minutes ago, while you were on hold.

ME: Oh, okay, cool. Thanks! --hey wait... So does that mean the other order is the one you were looking at first, in the warehouse about to be shipped?

HIM: Let's see, yep, that one is a 128GB Jet Black 7 Plus.

Me: ! :D

...but now it's Monday and I haven't heard anything yet. The website still says "Being Processed". Hopefully soon!

Okay, I called back and the rep I got today said she had no idea what the first guy was looking at, but mine's still back ordered.

:(

Beats were overpriced with poor sound quality for years. The Solo2 were legit though. Legit enough that Innerfidelity still has them on their wall of fame.

Agreed. I had a pair of Solo 2s for about a year and they were phenomenal. I accidentally broke them about a month ago and replaced them with a pair of the Wireless Studios, which are also excellent. The Studios also fix my one complaint about the Solo 2s as well. The Solo 2s always pushed my ears tight against the earpieces of my glasses and ended up hurting after 20-30 minutes of listening. Since the Studios are over-ear, they don't have that problem.

tl;dr - I've been pretty impressed with Beats' sound quality improvements since the Apple purchase.

Agreed. I had a pair of Solo 2s for about a year and they were phenomenal. I accidentally broke them about a month ago and replaced them with a pair of the Wireless Studios, which are also excellent. The Studios also fix my one complaint about the Solo 2s as well. The Solo 2s always pushed my ears tight against the earpieces of my glasses and ended up hurting after 20-30 minutes of listening. Since the Studios are over-ear, they don't have that problem.

tl;dr - I've been pretty impressed with Beats' sound quality improvements since the Apple purchase.

I'm eagerly awaiting new Studios with the W1 chip. I'll buy them as soon as they're available

Hustler

Did you order from the Apple Store? Just curious since my 7 Plus order is through Apple and has a October 12th-18th date and I haven't seen any movement on it.

Through the AT&T store.

derder

I've been reading good things about the Wireless Momentums (gawddamn dat price though).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNI44CQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That doesn't seem so expensive and the battery life seems great, I'll have to look into these.

I did a lot of a research on the <$500 noise canceling category and I ended up with these:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sennheiser-pxc-550-review

For Sound Quality, it's:
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 > Sennheiser PXC 550 > Sony MDR-1000X > Bose QC35

For ANC:
QC35 > MDR-1000X > PXC 550 > Momentum 2.0

I picked up a pair for $320 from Amazon (used, but unopened)

I have a pair of the wireless Solo2 right now. They sound great wired and pretty good wireless. As much as I'd want the Solo3 because of the massive battery improvements, I can't justify spending $300 to upgrade. Do think I'll look into something like the Beats X though because I'd love to try something out with the W1 chip.

I've been reading good things about the Wireless Momentums (gawddamn dat price though).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNI44CQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just got a pair of those, they're great. Battery life is amazing, I've had no connection issues, and they sound awesome. The quality is incredible compared to any other wireless headphones I've used (granted there some premium ones like Zik that I haven't used), both in sound and in build. The stainless steel and leather is a lot nicer than the plastic headphones Beats and Bose are putting out for close to the same price.

-griffy-

Banned
Apologies if this has been posted, but Everything Apple Pro put up part 2 of their iPhone speed test and it had a quick and dirty low light camera comparison between every generation in the middle. I grabbed some bad screengrabs, but you can still see the difference.

Here's the 6s+:
mm8BRp5.png

Here's the 7+:

And for fun, the original iPhone:

got an email saying my 7+ shipped yesterday. it wasn't supposed to ship until the 29th... however, tracking number doesn't work as ups says it can't find the details. i'm a bit nervous. should i be?

-griffy-

Banned
Hi Guys,

When Recording videos in silent, i can hear that stupid hissing noise on it and is ruining my videos,

Can you test?

Are you saying that while you are recording video, you can actually hear your phone making the hissing noise? Or that when playing back the recorded video you hear a noise in the video? If it's the latter, it's entirely possible that the noise is normal room noise.

Are you saying that while you are recording video, you can actually hear your phone making the hissing noise? Or that when playing back the recorded video you hear a hissing noise in the video? If it's the latter, it's entirely possible that the noise is normal room noise.

Hi,

Yeah, the hissing noise is in the video playback

Nah, its not normal room noise, tested it with an older iPhone and the sound isn't present.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is confirmed by Apple?
Because thats not funny is you spend so much money.

No it isn't funny and not confirmed at all.

But you best believe that they are going to fix it if it's actually picking up on video (which I kinda doubt, actually).

Onyar

No it isn't funny and not confirmed at all.

But you best believe that they are going to fix it if it's actually picking up on video (which I kinda doubt, actually).
I had to rise the volume but in the link that griffy shared you can hear it, also yt is full of examples.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I had to rise the volume but in the link that griffy shared you can hear it, also yt is full of examples.

Well, if I take video in my room with my iPhone 6 right now and crank the volume, it'll hiss too. It's just ambient noise picked up by the mic. Every phone is like that.

It's worth investigating further though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well, if I take video in my room with my iPhone 6 right now and crank the volume, it'll hiss too. It's just ambient noise picked up by the mic. Every phone is like that.

It's worth investigating further though.

Yeah, everything will have some ambient hiss. Just seems to be slightly more severe on the 7.
Whether it's picking up extraneous internal noise, a more sensitive microphone, or both... who knows.

Yeah, everything will have some ambient hiss. Just seems to be slightly more severe on the 7.
Whether it's picking up extraneous internal noise, a more sensitive microphone, or both... who knows.

Isn't the 7's speaker like twice as loud as the 6's? Mightn't that be a possible culprit in why you're hearing more or louder noise?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Just tested on my iPhone 6+ & 7+.

iPhone 7+:

4K 30fps recording + full CPU speed: consistent ambient hiss.

720p 30fps recording + battery save mode to force Phone to use lower clocked cores: consistent ambient hiss.

Does not sound like the same "hiss" on back of phone when benchmarking which changes frequency.

iPhone 6+:

1080p recording full CPU speed: consistent ambient hiss.

However, when playing back content 7+ is easily louder. Also, microphone seems to be more sensitive on iPhone 7+?

Just tested on my iPhone 6+ & 7+.

iPhone 7+:

4K 30fps recording + full CPU speed: consistent ambient hiss.

720p 30fps recording + battery save mode to force Phone to use lower clocked cores: consistent ambient hiss.

Does not sound like the same "hiss" on back of phone when benchmarking which changes frequency.

iPhone 6+:

1080p recording full CPU speed: consistent ambient hiss.

However, when playing back content 7+ is easily louder. Also, microphone seems to be more sensitive on iPhone 7+?
I have an android to be fair but if I put it up to my ear, around the camera, I hear an ambient hiss too. It's a lot louder when recording video but seems like there's always some some coming out.

What I don't like about the home button:

You ALWAYS have to hit it in the center for it to work, on my 6S, I would press it on the corner when I wanted to check notifications or use music controls but not unlock the phone.

Top Bottom