• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

ZOONAMI

Pretty good 7 plus vs Samsung camera comparison

https://youtu.be/seSJvwF68-0

Makes it much more difficult to decide to stick with my replacement note7 I'll be getting or jump to the 7 plus for the zoom.

Kind of leaning towards the note7 though as the ois seems much better, audio recording much better, low light much better, and iPhone really seems to blow out skies/backgrounds.

My wife's Plus was set to ship the first week of October, but I just got an email that it's on its way.

Mine is still expected to ship October 20th. Really hoping mine gets bumped up too.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
What I don't like about the home button:

You ALWAYS have to hit it in the center for it to work, on my 6S, I would press it on the corner when I wanted to check notifications or use music controls but not unlock the phone.

Uh. Not true. I am typing this on a 7 and definitely just unlocked this thing and pressed the button on the side.

More likely you're not conductive enough with the tips or sides of your thumb/finger.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What I don't like about the home button:

You ALWAYS have to hit it in the center for it to work, on my 6S, I would press it on the corner when I wanted to check notifications or use music controls but not unlock the phone.

I did the same as well but on iOS 10 isn't this resolved due to how the updated lock screen works?

Glassboy

My wife's Plus was set to ship the first week of October, but I just got an email that it's on its way.

Mine is still expected to ship October 20th. Really hoping mine gets bumped up too.
That's cool! Mine is set to ship around then too. Hopefully it gets bumped. I'm getting no signal on my 6+ right now.

Hi,

Yeah, the hissing noise is in the video playback

Nah, its not normal room noise, tested it with an older iPhone and the sound isn't present.

Okay, I just tested the 6s and 7 in a quiet room. While playing back on the phones, you can hear loud hissing on the 7, and quiet hissing on the 6s if you turn the volume way up.

I imported the videos into Photos. Playing back on my Mac (connected to studio gear with Focal speakers), I hear almost no hissing in either clip.

My conclusion is that the speaker output on the phone is lifting high-end frequencies, and the iPhone 7 speakers are basically twice as loud. But the actual room noise picked up on the mics are basically the same on both phones. The iPhone 6s does seem to pick up more lower-range hiss; not sure why that is.

side note: I noticed that the iPhone 7 video (1080x1920) is recording at 30fps. Previously the iPhone always recorded at the film standard 29.98fps. Not sure why they changed that, but I'm not a film person.

-griffy-

Banned
Uh. Not true. I am typing this on a 7 and definitely just unlocked this thing and pressed the button on the side.

More likely you're not conductive enough with the tips or sides of your thumb/finger.

It's capacitative, which means your skin needs to make full contact for the "button" to "see" your finger and register a click.

The one downside of the new home button I've found so far is that if the phone is laying flat on a desk or something, and you just want to quick look at notifications or the time without picking the phone up, it's kind of tough to just wake the screen up without unlocking the phone, because Touch ID is so damn quick. On the previous phones, you could get around this by purposefully doing a "messy" click on the home button so Touch ID didn't register, only putting a little bit of your finger on the button, or just use a finger nail to click it, but the new button doesn't work at all if you try that since it doesn't "feel" your finger when you do that and won't click at all. You either have to actually pick the phone up so raise to wake kicks in, or press the lock button on the side.

A minor annoyance to be sure.

toohectic

Can you press the home button with a knuckle? When the phone is laying flat on the table and my fingers are dirty, I'll usually use a knuckle on my finger to wake the phone to check for missed notifications. Does that work? Or nope?

-griffy-

Banned
Can you press the home button with a knuckle? When the phone is laying flat on the table and my fingers are dirty, I'll usually use a knuckle on my finger to wake the phone to check for missed notifications. Does that work? Or nope?

Yeah that works. Problem solved I guess!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It should, because there is skin contact, and videos have shown that's all you need with the iPhone 7.

(Don't have the phone myself yet).

I can force-click my trackpad with a knuckle so I don't see why not. Only thing is you wouldn't get a finger-print read, obviously.

ESBL

colleague of mine was a backer of the Bragi. They got bricked during a software update and their customer support is kinda sucky and unresponsive - also, i want wireless buds that have the W1 chip, because i'll be constantly switching between my iPhone, iPad and macbook.

I'm going to get both, I have the Bragi headphone on preorder for $120, I'll buy the Airpods at the same time, whichever I like best is what I'll stick with. They both offer 2 week no hassle exchange. I got a feeling I'll like the Bragi better but the W1 chip will probably push me to keep the Airpods because of superior connectivity.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's capacitative, which means your skin needs to make full contact for the "button" to "see" your finger and register a click.

The one downside of the new home button I've found so far is that if the phone is laying flat on a desk or something, and you just want to quick look at notifications or the time without picking the phone up, it's kind of tough to just wake the screen up without unlocking the phone, because Touch ID is so damn quick. On the previous phones, you could get around this by purposefully doing a "messy" click on the home button so Touch ID didn't register, only putting a little bit of your finger on the button, or just use a finger nail to click it, but the new button doesn't work at all if you try that since it doesn't "feel" your finger when you do that and won't click at all. You either have to actually pick the phone up so raise to wake kicks in, or press the lock button on the side.

A minor annoyance to be sure.

Or just use a non registered finger. Use your thumb for unlocking and an index finger for checking notifications.

KingKong

it took me some time to get used to the button but it feels great now, every time I use my iPad I can't wait until they update it too

God the iPad Pro 2 has a chance to be so dreamy. 12.9", wide color, true tone, 3D Touch, new home button

Stop wallet where are you going come back

Retroid

I've noticed my volume buttons are not level with each other, one of them is even on a slight slant, anyone else have this with their phone? Is it worth my time to take it in?

Guess Who

Banned
God the iPad Pro 2 has a chance to be so dreamy. 12.9", wide color, true tone, 3D Touch, new home button

Stop wallet where are you going come back

I'm curious how 3D Touch on the iPad's gonna work out. There's never been a vibration motor in an iPad before, and you'd have to have a hell of one to provide haptic feedback for 3D Touch and whatnot on a 13" device.

Crazyorloco

Got my iPhone 7 Plus (special thanks to richiek for posting the Apple reservation link) I'm loving it. Feels really quick navigation through the phone. I don't miss the headphone jack yet. I'll test out the camera tomorrow.

I'm in public now, but later I'm going to see if I hear hissing.

Is 3D Touch practical on a screen that big?

I think it'll be a challenge to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the Pencil which has its own pressure sensor, but they can figure it out

iOS10 is very 3D Touch heavy. It's clearly where they're going, time to get the rest of the line caught up

I'm curious how 3D Touch on the iPad's gonna work out. There's never been a vibration motor in an iPad before, and you'd have to have a hell of one to provide haptic feedback for 3D Touch and whatnot on a 13" device.

I really don't think it's going to happen yet. The Taptic engine array underneath their trackpads is both fairly large and needs to run to close to under the middle as a sort of "spine". On the iPhone it's much smaller but also requires quite a bit of space, working out because it can shake the whole phone without too much size.

On something as big as the pro I'd imagine they'd need two trackpad-size modules one towards either end) that could coordinate through some kind of central controller chip, which really means finding a way to take a big chunk out of their battery array (maybe moving to four batteries instead of two) to setup a taptic highway, and then whatever re-engineering necessary to make the entire screen surface force-sensitive. If anyone can do it, it's Apple, but the size, cost, and battery life constraints are all very big deals. I think for now they are more than happy to push the pencil, which requires virtually none of those drawbacks instead.

DOWN

Banned
I was about to say I just push the home button with a knuckle or fat part of my hand if I don't want to open the phone up. Or just shut off Rest to Unlock.

messing around with the camera a bit earlier with my regular 7, turned HDR on and took some shots of my nendoroids, this was my favorite:

CpPk4yP.jpg

I'd like to set it up as new too but I don't know if I can partially restore my photos and messages.

yeah, my messages will be a goner. Willing to pay that price. My photos are all stored in my iCloud photo library anyways.

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/merge-sms-imessage-messages-from-old-iphone-to-new-iphone.htm
http://www.icopybot.com/blog/transfer-sms-history-from-one-iphone-to-another-iphone.htm

So you can't manually change the autocorrect anymore? Trying to make "fuck" autocorrect to "fuck" instead of "duck" leads me with no results. They must have disabled having the same phrase word as shortcut word. Ducking iOS 10.

Other than that I'm totally loving the jet black 7. Pics soon.

There's definitely something wrong with autocorrect but I noticed it before iOS10. Even simple words like "failure" will be underlined as a typo and the suggested spelling is something crazy like "falewue". It's almost as if it's taking the incorrect spelling you typed and putting it in the autocorrect dictionary. And my phone no longer offers an "iphone --> iPhone" autocorrect. It's been this way for about six weeks, maybe longer. I did restore my phone back at the end of July so maybe that messed something up.

How do you restore only the photos from iCloud? I thought it restores everything.

He's using Photo Library or Photo Stream, not iCloud backup. They're different things.

j-wood

So tonight I kicked of download like 10 albums and the phone got extremely hot. Is that normal with Apple Music? Regular 7 here.

It didn't even get that hot playing a game.

So tonight I kicked of download like 10 albums and the phone got extremely hot. Is that normal with Apple Music? Regular 7 here.

It didn't even get that hot playing a game.

It got pretty hot for me when I was downloading about 8000 songs, which I know is a lot more but nothing bad came of it

The phone knows when it gets too hot and will let you know. If it doesn't reach that point you're fine

messing around with the camera a bit earlier with my regular 7, turned HDR on and took some shots of my nendoroids, this was my favorite:

Amazing detail! It's still hard to get used to how good the iPhone camera is now. Does the HDR do fake depth of field?

p.s. your username is ��

I got charged by Verizon and my estimated shipping date went from 9-23 to vanishing off the site. This is a matte black 7 plus that I preordered when sales opened. Hopefully it got moved up rather than pushed back.

I just reserved a Sprint phone for in-store pickup. I don't have Sprint, I just want to buy the phone for a friend on T-Mobile. What are the chances Apple lets me do this?

So does anyone with a 7 get music controls on their lock screen when plugging in headphones or EarPods? This is not an iOS 10 issue because my 6s shows the controls when I plug in to the audio jack. That feature has been so convenient, but now I have to unlock the phone and go to the Music app every time.

So does anyone with a 7 get music controls on their lock screen when plugging in headphones or EarPods? This is not an iOS 10 issue because my 6s shows the controls when I plug in to the audio jack. That feature has been so convenient, but now I have to unlock the phone and go to the Music app every time.

I was having that issue on the iOS 10 beta on my 6S, and it continues on my 7 even though I set up as new. It's very annoying

Fliesen

mine just got delivered.

That taptic feedback is so weird, but pretty cool. Hating the C'LICK of my old home button already ;)
The haptic feedback when scrolling through the spinner while setting an alarm is neat. 3D touch feels kinda natural, except for when an app doesn't offer any kind of 3D touch functionality.

really happy so far. gonna re-pair my appleWatch now and then start setting up all new home screens

btkadams

I was having that issue on the iOS 10 beta on my 6S, and it continues on my 7 even though I set up as new. It's very annoying
That definitely sounds like a bug, but in the meantime couldn't you just bring up the control centre in the lock screen and use the music controls there? Then you don't have to unlock the phone and go into the Music app.

creatchee

So my delivery got bumped up to tomorrow, but when I check my tracking, it says it's in Zhangzhou. Do they have supersonic delivery?

EDIT: I'm in Florida, btw

My phone went from China, to Korea, to Hong Kong. I have no idea if this is normal. I called UPS yesterday when my delivery date slipped from this Tuesday to Wed. Said it should arrive. Well, it's in HK. Called again and they said tomorrow.

Im just confused if this normally happens w/ iPhone launches. It must since they said their sorting center in China got overloaded and they had to reroute to Korea.

My phone went from China, to Korea, to Hong Kong. I have no idea if this is normal. I called UPS yesterday when my delivery date slipped from this Tuesday to Wed. Said it should arrive. Well, it's in HK. Called again and they said tomorrow.

Im just confused if this normally happens w/ iPhone launches. It must since they said their sorting center in China got overloaded and they had to reroute to Korea.

UPS has been acting weird for this latest batch of Apple shipments. My Watch order was supposed to come in yesterday but according to the UPS tracker it was actually in Korea when it originally said it was in Alaska.

JayDub

Hot DAMN does the matte black look great with the cocoa silicone case. I was debating between black and cocoa and man, cocoa just looks sweet.

Also, LOVING the new home button. It feels amazing. Not like a button, but way freakin better. Phone is blazing fast. However, turning on the camera will cause the camera to lock up for a good 6 seconds. Software glitch but hopefully they fix it.

Loving 3D Touch. Game changer for me. And using it to move the cursor when typing + the new keyboard sounds make typing so much faster for me.

jts

...hate me...
That case is hawt. How are Apple silicon cases when getting the phone for example into tight jeans. Does the grip ever force the case to kinda get out of its shape and come out of the phone?

JayDub

No, it's extremely secure but it is super grippy. So sometimes as I'm taking out the phone it takes the pocket liner with it. Kind of annoying. But lovin the grip.

Top Bottom