• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Impulsor

Yeah. I mean, even if it's not here tomorrow, I'm cool because I had originally resigned myself to waiting until mid-October.

I ordered my regular Silver 128gb iPhone 7 on monday, have a October 5th-13th delivery frame.

I hope it gets bumped up too.

This just looks silly

High-end-Phone-benchmark.002-1.jpeg

What can you do with that much performance?

I can only think of cameras.

I have a black leather case but that cocoa silicone might be the answer to Apple discontinuing the white with black logo silicone case from the 6s line. Might need to grab one of those.

JayDub

I have a black leather case but that cocoa silicone might be the answer to Apple discontinuing the white with black logo silicone case from the 6s line. Might need to grab one of those.

That's just stupid. Why would they discontinue the white silicone case? It looks great for the silver and actually all the white faced phones. That's like discontinuing black.

They also discontinued the black leather loop band for the Apple Watch. Best band. And they got rid of the best most gender neutral color.

Come on Apple.

Also, run apps and games better.

And not be a janky mess.

Phone is fast but I've experienced bits of lag here and there. Bringing up the today view in particular. Also bringing up multitasking it sometimes skips frames. May just be the case if using the low powered cores for regular tasks.

Also, I forgot to mention this. But the stereo speakers. Holy damn the days of cupping my hand around the speakers are over. I thought the ear piece speaker would be tinny but it's equally loud.

Nothing will ever math the OG HTC One M7 speakers. But this will do.

randome

I am not brave enough to go with a thin leather case/silicone case. I've previously always used speck cases in the past and am considering getting another one for the 7+. Anyone have any other suggestions?

LordOfChaos

Android phones are optimized for multi-core, while iPhone is optimized for single core

In multi-core, they are pretty even:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/09/14/geekbench-android-a10

Android the OS is impressively well multithreaded. However it can't automagically make inherently serial problems parallel, i.e some aspects of web scripting (hence Apples strong showing in web benchmarks as well, even if part is also software), some parts of games, etc. A strong per-core performance is still important, I think everyone would agree with that when looking at say a Core i5 vs a AMD FX octacore. Heck, even an i3 delivers better frametimes.

What can you do with that much performance?

I can only think of cameras.

We don't know until they do it :p

Many phones have seemed like overkill until a few years of OS updates make good use of them and slow them down. Features like deep machine learning happening on the phones own silicon for instance are new uses for more power.

ZOONAMI

Can I buy an iPhone that's listed for a different carrier in store at an apple store on installments (not IUP) and then put in my T-Mobile sim? Has anyone done this?

nubbe

The contract on my Nexus 5x is about to run out.
I'm really tempted to get the 7 or SE.
the SE seems like the ideal phone, but 7 has ip67...
Decisions!

The contract on my Nexus 5x is about to run out.
I'm really tempted to get the 7 or SE.
the SE seems like the ideal phone, but 7 has ip67...
Decisions!

Unless you absolutely hate the idea of a slightly larger phone or need a headphone jack get the 7.

Crazyorloco

So my experience at the apple store yesterday was pretty nice. The Apple employees all were super kind and pretty talkative even though it was so busy at the store. I put Apple care + on the phone. They helped me get a screen protector on my phone.

Today i got an Apple email to schedule an interactive online session to get to know my phone. Makes me feel all special. lol I never had this treatment on android. They should do the same.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Android phones are optimized for multi-core, while iPhone is optimized for single core

In multi-core, they are pretty even:

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/09/14/geekbench-android-a10

those multi-core results really aren't great TBH. Almost 10% ahead of samsung, with half the cores, and 20-40% ahead of the other two, again with half of the cores. So there is a MASSIVE serialization problem in Qualcomm and Samsung CPUs, that isn't even fixed throwing more cores at it.

NandoGip

Guys, I need help. I am getting off of my family's Sprint Plan. I'm going to start my own plan with a new iPhone 7 Plus. Whats the least expensive way to get a plan with unlimited data and maybe texting? I have no particular preference for coverage or carrier since I'm always on WiFi.

creatchee

Guys, I need help. I am getting off of my family's Sprint Plan. I'm going to start my own plan with a new iPhone 7 Plus. Whats the least expensive way to get a plan with unlimited data and maybe texting? I have no particular preference for coverage or carrier since I'm always on WiFi.

Honestly, if you're always on Wi-Fi, you're throwing money away with unlimited data unless you get in on a cheeky promotion.

Clipse

Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone case in Pink Sand? Trying to decide on which case to buy for my mom's rose gold phone, but I'm worried about the lighter color cases getting dirty too easily.

Crazyorloco

Honestly, if you're always on Wi-Fi, you're throwing money away with unlimited data unless you get in on a cheeky promotion.

Could he use his Iphone on a prepaid carrier? I think those would be the cheapest options.

oh and tmobile has a 70 unlimited everything plan now. I have an old simple choice plan. I use a lot of hotspot data (14GB) and regular data (around 30 GB a month) and so i haven't changed it to the new plans which really restrict use.

That definitely sounds like a bug, but in the meantime couldn't you just bring up the control centre in the lock screen and use the music controls there? Then you don't have to unlock the phone and go into the Music app.

I don't allow Control Center on my lock screen. It still wouldn't be as nice since I'd have to swipe two times to get to the music controls.

That case is hawt. How are Apple silicon cases when getting the phone for example into tight jeans. Does the grip ever force the case to kinda get out of its shape and come out of the phone?

The 6s silicone cases were way too grippy, so they were a bit difficult with pockets. But the 7 silicone case is amazing. I don't know what magic they worked, but it's the perfect level of grip, but still being easy to slip in and out of pockets.

Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone case in Pink Sand? Trying to decide on which case to buy for my mom's rose gold phone, but I'm worried about the lighter color cases getting dirty too easily.

I had the white case on my 6s, and it always stayed clean. Actually it shows smudges much less than the black case I have now on my 7.

I like my 7 (128gb in matte black) a lot. Coming from a 5C it is crazy fast and the bigger screen and better camera are worth it alone. However, this may be the most uncomfortable phone I have ever owned. It has been all down hill since the 3GS. That phone was perfect to hold and I rocked it caseless without issue. Since then, I feel like every new iPhone almost requires a case. I can't believe this phone rests on its camera lens when face up. It is also entirely too thin to hold comfortably in one hand for very long and the smooth metal edges make it slippery as fuck if your hands are dry. I have a case on the way but fucking hell, give me a slightly bigger phone with out a lens as a kickstand and not digging into my hands. I think the "can a phone be too thin" line has ben reached and crossed. Maybe peeps already talked about this with the 6, I never really held one much so I guess this ergonomics nightmare is new to me. Either way, great upgrade, can't wait for my case to make holding it pleasant.

ZOONAMI

Sprint is $60, T-Mobile $70. I would pay the extra $10 for T-Mobile because sprints coverage and speed is objectively worse, and they don't have volte (calling and using Internet at the same time).

TheZink

Okay, I just tested the 6s and 7 in a quiet room. While playing back on the phones, you can hear loud hissing on the 7, and quiet hissing on the 6s if you turn the volume way up.

I imported the videos into Photos. Playing back on my Mac (connected to studio gear with Focal speakers), I hear almost no hissing in either clip.

My conclusion is that the speaker output on the phone is lifting high-end frequencies, and the iPhone 7 speakers are basically twice as loud. But the actual room noise picked up on the mics are basically the same on both phones. The iPhone 6s does seem to pick up more lower-range hiss; not sure why that is.

side note: I noticed that the iPhone 7 video (1080x1920) is recording at 30fps. Previously the iPhone always recorded at the film standard 29.98fps. Not sure why they changed that, but I'm not a film person.

Ive got the hissing on my 7 Plus also. I barely notice it unless I really try to hear it.

DOWN

Banned
I just experienced Jet Black in person and the fingerprints looked like shit

A little scratched

Overall, it's hot, but I'm too picky to have that over lucifer's burner phone matte black

So.. does anyone regret getting a 7 over a 7+?

Specifically camera + the extra RAM.

I have a Nexus 6 currently and am getting tired of how unwieldily it can be which is why I'm hesitant to get the +.

K' Dash

I have a Nexus 6 currently and am getting tired of how unwieldily it can be which is why I'm hesitant to get the +.

You do, apparently.

I have a Nexus 6 right now and use it with one hand.

I know you can do whatever the fuck you want with your money and it is not my business, but I see no reason to buy an iPhone 7 when you have a Nexus 6, but that's just me.

MickD

Just a little. I was coming from the 6+ and hated how it fit in my pocket. I miss the battery more than the camera/ram. The phone is pretty blazin already with out the extra gig

So what are the best Bluetooth headphones for cheap-ish?

These are like the first thing that pop up on Amazon. Seem okay? Otherwise IDK.

Got my phone today and was relatively minimal fuss, had a latest backup from September 3, so that wasn't too bad.

You do, apparently.

I have a Nexus 6 right now and use it with one hand.

I know you can do whatever the fuck you want with your money and it is not my business, but I see no reason to buy an iPhone 7 when you have a Nexus 6, but that's just me.

I have missed more moments than I can count taking pictures of my daughter due to the crappy and slow as molasses camera on the Nexus 6. It's beyond frustrating. I have a son due in February and with my phone being my only camera, I want to make sure I am equipped to always be able to get the shots I want of my kids.

f@luS

More than a member.
Got mine today

-hissing noise but had it on my iPhone 6s too
-hooooot !
-warmer screen and less bright screen
+ amazing speed and battery

I liked that shot and the paint cans. I do not to be too critical as this is beta software and is still improving.

The paint cans look ok, but to me they all look like someone applied a Photoshop blur filter, rather than the result of optics. More of a novelty feature for your instagram shots. But it does show potential for future improvements.

Top Bottom