• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Vyer

You do, apparently.

I have a Nexus 6 right now and use it with one hand.

I know you can do whatever the fuck you want with your money and it is not my business, but I see no reason to buy an iPhone 7 when you have a Nexus 6, but that's just me.

lol wtf

FStop7

Banned
That's a lot of moire in the hair, but that might be due to how the image was resized.

Still, that's not bad looking for a camera phone.

Guess Who

Banned
The paint cans look ok, but to me they all look like someone applied a Photoshop blur filter, rather than the result of optics. More of a novelty feature for your instagram shots. But it does show potential for future improvements.

Yeah - a more casual user may not notice, but to my eyes that's clearly a gaussian blur and not an out-of-focus image.

The 7 Plus developer preview shots look pretty amazing.

Q36liFb.jpg

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/21/hands-on-with-the-iphone-7-plus-crazy-new-portrait-mode/

Not amazing, but good for what it is, lot of those pics definitely look like a digital filter, get ready for that instagram use though

Owari

My friend wants a black 7+ 128gb but like no stores have it.

What would be the fastest way to grab one? I heard online orders are delayed months...

SuperPac

Not amazing, but good for what it is, lot of those pics definitely look like a digital filter, get ready for that instagram use though

Yeah to me there's always some area of the picture around the in-focus subject that looks janky or wrong. But it's a cool photo filter so why not. It's not a selling point to me but I'm sure some people are going to be into it.

My friend wants a black 7+ 128gb but like no stores have it.

What would be the fastest way to grab one? I heard online orders are delayed months...

That's one of the most sought after version of the phone. His best bet is to keep on checking stores and hope he gets lucky. Or he can buy one off ebay.

samn

Tried out the iPhone 7 in store earlier. Not impressed with the home button at all. Tried it on all three settings and it just felt icky and wrong.

It's odd because I really like my MacBook Pro trackpad. It actually feels like a button

kaskade

That portrait mode looks pretty good for what it is. I think for 99% of people they are going to think the photos look awesome and more professional.

-griffy-

Banned
You can see some of the limitations of what they are doing here, like the gaps between her pigtails and head not getting picked up as the background and therefore not getting blurred out. I bet some instances will result in really weird artifacts, not altogether unlike the HDR photos when there's a lot of movement.

Owari

That's one of the most sought after version of the phone. His best bet is to keep on checking stores and hope he gets lucky. Or he can buy one off ebay.
Ah. Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'll tell him to keep his eyes peeled. I think he said he may have found one at Target that was on preorder until tonight.

Moreche

Apple Store just swapped my second 7 for another.
First had bad screen, second wouldn't accept a charge and now this one has a yellow tint at the bottom.
What the fuck Apple?

f@luS

More than a member.
Apple Store just swapped my second 7 for another.
First had bad screen, second wouldn't accept a charge and now this one has a yellow tint at the bottom.
What the fuck Apple?
What was the bad screen about ?
Anyway you can correct the yellow tint in the settings

For the hissing issue i tried both iPhone 6/ 6s they both have. It's crazy how blown up it is

samn

What was the bad screen about ?
Anyway you can correct the yellow tint in the settings

For the hissing issue i tried both iPhone 6/ 6s they both have. It's crazy how blown up it is

You CANNOT correct a yellow tint in the settings. It will throw off other colours. And it especially won't work with a screen that's tinted on one side only. What an absurd suggestion.

MickD

So what are the best Bluetooth headphones for cheap-ish?

These are like the first thing that pop up on Amazon. Seem okay? Otherwise IDK.

Got my phone today and was relatively minimal fuss, had a latest backup from September 3, so that wasn't too bad.

I actually bought those last week! They're solid for the price point. Paring is a s.o.b. with the long presses but you can change tracks and such. I was able to pair them to my MacBook Pro with "forgettting" my phone. Kinda sucks that this has tohappen. For my first pair of Bluetooth headphones they are decent but I am looking for something my high end in the future. These will be beaten to hell on runs/workouts. Calls work fine as well - loud and clear

Yeah I'm trying to decide between them and the QC35s for work. Just depends on if I want slightly better audio quality or way better noise canceling.

The Momentum 2's came in from Amazon today. I haven't had much time to use them but so far they sound good and they feel even better. These things are light and comfortable, assuming the battery life is as good as advertised I'll be very happy with them.

Played with the 7 Plus today and this is the first time I've used a feature on the iPhone that I absolutely hated. It is, of course, the entire bottom section basically being a button. Feels unnatural, awkward, and reminds me way too much of the Blackberry Storm. In fact, someone here mentioned this new design pre-release and joked about the Storm, and I responded that that it obviously wasn't going to be that shitty. Now, that's true - it isn't - but I guess it reminded me a lot more of the Storm than I expected, and I did not enjoy that.

I think I'm sticking with my 6S Plus. First model I'll have skipped since the 3GS. If the 8 still has this design, fine - there are other reasons I'm willing to wait - but I hope it goes away.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I was asked to post pictures of my iPhone 7 with the Peel Case when I got it, so here it is. This thing is super thin. Really really thin.

That doesn't look like it provides a lick of protection other than preventing scuffs on the back.

Might as well ride bareback at this point.

giga

As a photographer, not a fan of the portrait mode at all from the shots I've seen. I'm sure it'll improve with time, but it's just so obvious right now when it's only doing background and not foreground blur too.

mrkgoo

That doesn't look like it provides a lick of protection other than preventing scuffs on the back.

Might as well ride bareback at this point.
Maybe preventing scuffs is all he wants.

Also, this design of iPhone is actually pretty slippery. That case would provide some grip.

Also personalisation.

Also, this design of iPhone is actually pretty slippery. That case would provide some grip.

Also personalisation.

Using a case to prevent scuffs seems kind of odd in my opinion, you can't even see the phone with the case on.

Aske

Anyone looking for a pair of true wireless bluetooth earbuds, check these out:

Erato Muse 5

Next 1000 people get them for $99.

Erato already released the very well-reviewed Apollo true wireless earbuds, which were praised for the strength of their bluetooth connection. Sound was considered merely "acceptable", but the Muse 5s are supposed to address all criticisms with the Apollos, including sound quality. I'm intrigued by the way they fit in the ear - looks like a superb tip design.

For $99 (MSRP $179), I'm certainly happy to roll the dice, and I figured other members of iPhone 7 GAF might feel the same.

kaskade

Also personalisation.

That's why I'm getting a leather one. I was ready to go case less but I never realized how slippery it is without one. I'm afraid it's going to slip out of my hand when taking it out of my pocket sometimes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's why I'm getting a leather one. I was ready to go case less but I never realized how slippery it is without one. I'm afraid it's going to slip out of my hand when taking it out of my pocket sometimes.

That's why I use the Apple leather case too.
Just some extra grip. They're so thin and slippery now.

Got my 7 Plus 2 days earlier than expected. Awesome!

Man this thing is gorgeous and the size actually isnt as big as I thought it would be. It feels so good in my hands and my 6S regular feels tiny lol. I still have an old 5 lying around and that feels like a toy.

Cant wait to take the camera for a spin. Black Matte is lovely <3

Aske

Using a case to prevent scuffs seems kind of odd in my opinion, you can't even see the phone with the case on.

Maintaining resale value is the other good reason, besides those mentioned. I'll go caseless if the 8 truly s ends end up having all-glass construction though. I'm careful enough with my stuff that I mainly just care about not scratching the device, and I've never scratched a gorilla glass screen.

I'll be rocking the Spigen crystal Ultra Hybrid until Mophie puts out a nice, lean battery case like the Juicepack Air I have on my 6; assuming I still feel I need more battery. Ideally their 7 case will be offered with an incorporated 3.5mm jack too.

mrkgoo

Yeah - a more casual user may not notice, but to my eyes that's clearly a gaussian blur and not an out-of-focus image.

I haven't had a close look, but is it a gaussian blur? I mean what would the point be to do it that way, when you have two cameras? Why not let the 7 do it as well? The two cameras must come in to it somewhere. I figured that it would focus with the wide angle, and force the tele to focus at the same distance, then merge the two images.

I guess it could be using two to determine the subject, and that's the magic.

I dunno. Can you change the level of blur? Does it work when in 2x zoom mode (and supposedly using the 56mm lens)?

I actually bought those last week! They're solid for the price point. Paring is a s.o.b. with the long presses but you can change tracks and such. I was able to pair them to my MacBook Pro with "forgettting" my phone. Kinda sucks that this has tohappen. For my first pair of Bluetooth headphones they are decent but I am looking for something my high end in the future. These will be beaten to hell on runs/workouts. Calls work fine as well - loud and clear

Alright sounds good enough. Gonna try these then. Definitely might invest in a higher-end set of headphones or earbuds later, but I just want something to get me going. Don't want to drop $100+ on new headphones just quite yet.

mrkgoo

I don't use cases, and I don't care about minor scuffs, but some people do. having a case can prevent those scuffs. Keep i in nice condition if you want to sell it, or just to do so for as long as possible so it's still nice later on when you do take it off.

To each their own.

Guess Who

Banned
I haven't had a close look, but is it a gaussian blur? I mean what would the point be to do it that way, when you have two cameras? Why not let the 7 do it as well? The two cameras must come in to it somewhere. I figured that it would focus with the wide angle, and force the tele to focus at the same distance, then merge the two images.

I dunno. Can you change the level of blur? Does it work when in 2x zoom mode (and supposedly using the 56mm lens)?

My understanding is that it uses the second camera to provide a reference for depth and generate a kind of depth-map, and then it applies a blur to the background (with heavier blur for things further in the distance).

-griffy-

Banned

It uses the two lenses to create a depth map of the scene, since they are offset. You can only use the "telephoto" lens for this feature. It ostensibly creates multiple layer "slices" of depth, so I think it's not just a simple blur of the background, but each "slice" can be blurred independently to simulate the falloff a real shallow depth of field has (aka stuff closer to the camera isn't blurred as much). It's also using a custom disc blur, so stuff will blur out into a circular shape more like the classic bokeh look you associate with DSLR's.

See these other examples for reference:
bird1.jpg

cans.jpg

Or here, where the tree isn't as blurred as the farther background:
crook.jpg

The Momentum 2's came in from Amazon today. I haven't had much time to use them but so far they sound good and they feel even better. These things are light and comfortable, assuming the battery life is as good as advertised I'll be very happy with them.

I'm gonna grab a pair of QC35s at Best Buy tomorrow for the hell of it. Can always return them and try something new if I'm unimpressed. Thanks for the feedback though!

My wife's Plus came in today and seems to have a screen defect. There's a thin pink line going up and down the screen about a third of the phone's width away from the right bezel. I've tried turning the phone off and on, not really sure what else to do if it's some weird software thing.

Anyone had anything similar to this happen? I'm guessing we're just going to have to return it.

My wife is actually disappointed with the phone too, I think she's crazy but she prefers the sound of the 6S speakers, which are admittedly a little bassier but much worse in every other way. I'm curious whether other people will feel the same way about it.

Question for 7 Plus owners.

I currently have an 6 with a Tech 21 Impactology case on it, and I adore it.

Any recommendations for a case similar to this?

mrkgoo

My understanding is that it uses the second camera to provide a reference for depth and generate a kind of depth-map, and then it applies a blur to the background (with heavier blur for things further in the distance).

It uses the two lenses to create a depth map of the scene, since they are offset. You can only use the "telephoto" lens for this feature. It ostensibly creates multiple layer "slices" of depth, so I think it's not just a simple blur of the background, but each "slice" can be blurred independently to simulate the falloff a real shallow depth of field has (aka stuff closer to the camera isn't blurred as much). It's also using a custom disc blur, so stuff will blur out into a circular shape more like the classic bokeh look you associate with DSLR's.

See these other examples for reference:

Interesting!

To note, some things don't blur as a circle but rather the shape of the aperture. Which might be a circle but depends on the quality of the lens and number and shape of the aperture blades.

I dunno what I feel about this as a sort of photography enthusiast. On the one hand, a good photo is a good photo no matter how you get there. On the other there must be some line (and often it's a subjective and personal one) where too much manipulation of an image detracts from the image. It's a tough one.

mrkgoo

My wife's Plus came in today and seems to have a screen defect. There's a thin pink line going up and down the screen about a third of the phone's width away from the right bezel. I've tried turning the phone off and on, not really sure what else to do if it's some weird software thing.

Anyone had anything similar to this happen? I'm guessing we're just going to have to return it.

My wife is actually disappointed with the phone too, I think she's crazy but she prefers the sound of the 6S speakers, which are admittedly a little bassier but much worse in every other way. I'm curious whether other people will feel the same way about it.

Doesn't sound like a software thing unless it only happens with certain software. Doesn't sound normal either way.

Anyone here switch to Verizon when they got their new iPhone?

My wife and I are switching and they said they have some new deal going where you only pay ~$10 a month for the iPhone 7 if you trade in your old iPhone. But they made it sound as though this deal is replacing the deal where Verizon pays your early termination/device fees from your previous carrier.

Anyone know anything about that?

Edit: I should clarify it's their "free" iPhone 7 deal. It's free for 32 GB iPhone 7, but about ten bucks a month for 128 GB. If you sign on for that deal, does Verizon no longer pay your early termination fees for switching?

Doesn't sound like a software thing unless it only happens with certain software. Doesn't sound normal either way.

Ugh, figured it must be a hardware issue. Just hoping against hope we don't have to deal with returning it. Oh well, it's an obvious flaw so hopefully it will be painless.

Top Bottom