• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

randome

Ugh, figured it must be a hardware issue. Just hoping against hope we don't have to deal with returning it. Oh well, it's an obvious flaw so hopefully it will be painless.

That really sucks, sorry man. It's a pain going to the Apple Store, especially around launch. As much as I love iPhones, I think I have problems where I need to replace them at least once every other phone. I've even had to get a replacement for my replacement!

That really sucks, sorry man. It's a pain going to the Apple Store, especially around launch. As much as I love iPhones, I think I have problems where I need to replace them at least once every other phone. I've even had to get a replacement for my replacement!

Ah shit, is that what we're going to have to do? I was hoping we'd be able to go to T-mobile and work it out with them. I'll have to call tomorrow to make sure.

I only have a single Apple store in convenient driving distance and appointments are always booked weeks in advance. I was planning on getting Apple Care for both our phones anyway so I guess we can take care of that at the same time.

Ah shit, is that what we're going to have to do? I was hoping we'd be able to go to T-mobile and work it out with them. I'll have to call tomorrow to make sure.

I only have a single Apple store in convenient driving distance and appointments are always booked weeks in advance. I was planning on getting Apple Care for both our phones anyway so I guess we can take care of that at the same time.

An Apple Store would just recommend to do a retail swap wherever you got it if you're within the return period anyway, its way less hassle than going through the Genius Bar

Aske

An Apple Store would just recommend to do a retail swap wherever you got it if you're within the return period anyway, its way less hassle than going through the Genius Bar

The good news is that Apple keep plenty of phones set aside for replacements (special iPhones in plain black boxes). So if your retailer can't swap the phone, chances are the Apple store will have no problems, even if the consumer version of the model is still out of stock.

But yes, Apple stores are fucking terrible. I shouldn't need to make an appointment for a basic customer service issue like a return or replacement. I'll always buy from BestBuy or similar when possible just so I can enjoy an easy transaction, and make an easy return if needed when it suits me.

samn

The good news is that Apple keep plenty of phones set aside for replacements (special iPhones in plain black boxes). So if your retailer can't swap the phone, chances are the Apple store will have no problems, even if the consumer version of the model is still out of stock.

But yes, Apple stores are fucking terrible. I shouldn't need to make an appointment for a basic customer service issue like a return or replacement. I'll always buy from BestBuy or similar when possible just so I can enjoy an easy transaction, and make an easy return if needed when it suits me.

I once asked for a replacement set of EarPods, they came in the mail, except they sent a USB cable incorrectly.

Went to the Apple Store thinking we could get this rectified quickly, they could just check my ticket and give me some EarPods off the shelf. Nope sorry you have to make an appointment, we can get you one today but you'll have to hang around for 3 hours. then I asked to cancel my AppleCare+ for a partial refund and they told me to call support.

Last time I tried to book an appointment online, literally every slot was booked and they told me to check back at 7am each morning to try and get a new slot as they come up. It's worse than trying to see my dentist.

Fliesen

IkoJmKc.jpg

3D touch is a real game changer for someone coming from the iPhone 6.

i've been using it extensively for: quick launching the selfie cam, quick resuming my podcasts, going straight to the barcode for my supermarket's loyalty card app, going straight into a specific iMessage conversation thread, etc.

doing the long-press on my iPad feels so unnatural now. I keep wanting to invoke 3D touch when doing stuff like "add to watch later" in the youtube app.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

i've been using it extensively for: quick launching the selfie cam, quick resuming my podcasts, going straight to the barcode for my supermarket's loyalty card app, going straight into a specific iMessage conversation thread, etc.

doing the long-press on my iPad feels so unnatural now. I keep wanting to invoke 3D touch when doing stuff like "add to watch later" in the youtube app.

Hehe felt the same way coming from iPhone 6 freaking love it.

Also, after finding out I can use it to quick preview threads etc (neogaf!) on websites it was even cooler. :D (Thanks to whoever pointed that out in this thread!)

GoStc

So, my iPhone 6 just died and I have to replace it. I was thinking of getting a 7, but I just saw that there's little difference between that and the 7 plus price-wise with my current data plan, so I don't know which one to get. On the one side I love the size of the regular iPhone, especially for one handed use, but on the other hand I'd love to have a phone with better battery life. Is the plus really worth it?

TheZink

My wife's Plus came in today and seems to have a screen defect. There's a thin pink line going up and down the screen about a third of the phone's width away from the right bezel. I've tried turning the phone off and on, not really sure what else to do if it's some weird software thing.

Anyone had anything similar to this happen? I'm guessing we're just going to have to return it.

My wife is actually disappointed with the phone too, I think she's crazy but she prefers the sound of the 6S speakers, which are admittedly a little bassier but much worse in every other way. I'm curious whether other people will feel the same way about it.
The 6s speaker are bassier to me also. Not as clear or loud but sound a little more full.

BTA

I still have a 6s but wanted to pop in to say: it is weird how much I forgot that 3D Touch is a thing. I can't remember a time I've ever used it.

I'm going to try to start now since it'll actually help with shortcuts for some things, but it's interesting to see people using it a lot.

Aske

So, my iPhone 6 just died and I have to replace it. I was thinking of getting a 7, but I just saw that there's little difference between that and the 7 plus price-wise with my current data plan, so I don't know which one to get. On the one side I love the size of the regular iPhone, especially for one handed use, but on the other hand I'd love to have a phone with better battery life. Is the plus really worth it?

Just for the battery life, I'd say no, especially given how lean battery cases have become. I'd suggest going to a store and playing with the Plus. Try it on, see if it fits. I wanted to love it for the upgraded battery and camera, but it's just too big for me in its current configuration (ie, screen size might be fine if they sliced off some bezel). It manages to be slightly too small to be worth the extra screen real estate for reading comics, while being a good bit too large for everything else I want to use my phone for. That's just me - plenty of people love the Plus, but it's smart to make sure it's the right size for your own unique use.

Crazyorloco

Hehe felt the same way coming from iPhone 6 freaking love it.

Also, after finding out I can use it to quick preview threads etc (neogaf!) on websites it was even cooler. :D (Thanks to whoever pointed that out in this thread!)

Holy crap... ever since I read this I'm using it more. I wasn't really using it before. Nice feature.

Red

Yeah - a more casual user may not notice, but to my eyes that's clearly a gaussian blur and not an out-of-focus image.
Just a heads up:
Apple says it is a disc blur to more closely match true bokeh, not a Gaussian blur as might be applied in photoshop.

Interesting. PowerBeats 3 spec sheet says up to 12 hours playback time with the W1 chip, versus 6 hours playback on the PB2. I wouldn't be surprised if the battery capacity is slightly improved but the battery housing on BT earphones are so small I'd be surprised if it was even close to the size of say, Apple Watch. The W1 is definitely paying off on consumption somehow...

How much more battery life does the plus have over the regular 7 in a day to day use?

Per Apple's website

7 vs. 7+
- 3G Talk Time (hrs): 14 / 21
- Standby (days): 10 / 16
- Internet use (3G, hrs): 12 / 13
- Internet use (LTE, hrs): 12 / 13
- Internet use (WiFi, hrs): 14 / 15
- Video (hrs): 13 / 14
- BT Audio (hrs) 40 / 60

Generally speaking there is a noticeable improvement in battery life using the 7+ for everyday life vs. the 7. Although it drives a bigger display / higher resolution, that is outweighed by the amount of extra battery capacity provided.

I think if you just play games on it all day, battery life is going to feel similar because both systems will just hammer the CPU/GPU. But for web browsing, email, typical on the go stuff, capacity is what matters. (Well, that and not blowing up / frying an egg on your hand)

Barzul

Wait, what color is that? And what do you think overall?

I have the black model coming in.

It's the black one on a gold iphone 7 plus. Overall I'm pleased. I wanted as close to caseless as possible while preventing scratches. This does that.

JayDub

I was asked to post pictures of my iPhone 7 with the Peel Case when I got it, so here it is. This thing is super thin. Really really thin.

I had the peel case for my 6 plus and it was more slippery than the phone naked. Also, because it's so thin I run into some QA issues of the case being warped in areas like the speaker holes. Is it better with the more complex camera hump?

Side note: typing this on the 7 Plus and typing with these new keyboard sounds make typing so much faster. Maybe it's psychological. Typing is as good as pre-iOS7. Not sure about prediction. It was amazing pre-iOS7, and got disastrously worse. But now, I haven't made as many mistakes.

Anyone notice UI choppiness on their 7 Plus? I have 10.0.1 and stuff like multi tasking and closing / opening apps show noticeable choppiness.

"A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

k? First was supposed to be today, then rescheduled to tomorrow, now it's all yellow with that message.

tommyguns

Can anyone test this?

Go to a quiet room and just record a 10 second clip. I did this after hearing about this issue in a forum on macrumors and mine does not sound good. Dead quiet room and when I playback the video there is a loud static noise. Worried my back mic is a defect.

ReAxion

i'm still trying to integrate the 3D touch into my usage habits. feels like we were at a disadvantage coming from the 6 because the hype died down around it as a new feature.

So I have no idea what is happening with my phone's delivery:

It keeps departing from the same place :(

I'm going to guess a label was misapplied and nobody is looking at it long enough to catch the mistake.

DOWN

Banned
My iPad Air 2 is honestly frustrating me by not having 3D Touch now. It doesn't feel like it's real iOS 10 without 3D Touch

iPhone 7+ just arrived. So excited.

I use my phone a lot and it's been two years so I'm very excited to see improvements across the board from my 6+.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just had a Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus reserved for pickup at an Apple Store. The only Black models they had were Verizon, even though I have T-Mobile, but supposedly it's unlocked and should work with T-Mobile. But I've heard I have to pay for it in full to be unlocked and not under the iPhone Upgrade Program. Is this true?

I just had a Matte Black iPhone 7 Plus reserved for pickup at an Apple Store. The only Black models they had were Verizon, even though I have T-Mobile, but supposedly it's unlocked and should work with T-Mobile. But I've heard I have to pay for it in full to be unlocked and not under the iPhone Upgrade Program. Is this true?

I don't believe this is true. My iPhones have always worked even when not paid off I'm speaking for Verizon phone only experience

Just got my Iphone 7 and compared to my 6S the screen's got a warmer tone.

This is normal. Since they moved to a wider color gamut they have to show things more accurately, and older phones were too blue

This is true. With iUP it has to be activated on whatever carrier you selected. It can be used on any carrier after that since it's an unlocked phone, but if you reserved a Verizon model you'll have to have a Verizon account to use iUP, unless you plan on paying full price

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This is true. With iUP it has to be activated on whatever carrier you selected. It can be used on any carrier after that since it's an unlocked phone, but if you reserved a Verizon model you'll have to have a Verizon account to use iUP, unless you plan on paying full price

Thanks. Looks like I'll be paying for it in full then.

NYR

iPhone 7 Plus Black 128 GB RESERVED!!! Finally, checking that website daily since Saturdaym going to pick it up later this afternoon. So happy.

Waiting for the Anandtech review is gonna be painful - the lag time between the iPhone's release and the release of their review has been getting longer every year, and I expect the A10 Fusion is going to be both really fascinating to read about and also much trickier to investigate.

chrizzz09

Can anyone test this?

Go to a quiet room and just record a 10 second clip. I did this after hearing about this issue in a forum on macrumors and mine does not sound good. Dead quiet room and when I playback the video there is a loud static noise. Worried my back mic is a defect.

I have tested this on my 7 and 5s:

https://youtu.be/Toz_Pty_mc8
https://youtu.be/dUL2tDG2mms

And apparently the sound in my two videos is the normal white background noise. So if yours sounds like this when volume is all up, then its normal, but if you hear some serious cracking and frequent high pitched sounds than its not normal.

Crazyorloco

iPhone 7 Plus Black 128 GB RESERVED!!! Finally, checking that website daily since Saturdaym going to pick it up later this afternoon. So happy.

Nice, the black one too. That's a unicorn. I picked up silver. I love the phone. Are you in New York? I went to the Apple Store in Fifth avenue.

Dinokill

I want to exchange my att IPhone 7 32GB for a 128GB but all my local att stores are out of stock. Can I do the exchange in the Apple Store? I bought the 7 with the att trade in deal.

ZOONAMI

So I was playing with the 2x camera on the plus at best buy, and had my s7 to do comparison shots at 2x zoom. The s7 honestly looked better to my eyes, so I dunno. Think im just gonna get my note7 replaced. I was hyped about the optical zoom but now not so much.

Are there any reviews of the plus with comparisons of the s7/note7 digitally zoomed?

Top Bottom