• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Is anyone having problems finding a black iPhone 7 plus? I went to like 4 different stores and none had them. Verizon's website says they'll ship until October 19. Ugh I pre ordered mine with Verizon and it still hasn't shipped.

This is true. With iUP it has to be activated on whatever carrier you selected. It can be used on any carrier after that since it's an unlocked phone, but if you reserved a Verizon model you'll have to have a Verizon account to use iUP, unless you plan on paying full price

What if you bought the phone with a Sprint account but before booting the phone go to Verizon and have them switch the sim and then activate it? That should be fine, right?

Vyer

So I was playing with the 2x camera on the plus at best buy, and had my s7 to do comparison shots at 2x zoom. The s7 honestly looked better to my eyes, so I dunno. Think im just gonna get my note7 replaced. I was hyped about the optical zoom but now not so much.

Are there any reviews of the plus with comparisons of the s7/note7 digitally zoomed?

The telephoto on the plus? That's considerably better than zooming on the S7 in every comparison I've seen. There's no way it can compensate for the two cameras.

Cnet has a good one here that also includes the 6S: http://www.cnet.com/special-reports...vs-galaxy-s7-vs-iphone-6s-plus/#7-vs-galaxyS7

Everything else with standard photos is negligible, as they seem pretty close and it's going to come down to preference for most people.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What if you bought the phone with a Sprint account but before booting the phone go to Verizon and have them switch the sim and then activate it? That should be fine, right?

I believe iUP integrates with the back end.
Like you cannot buy the phone with it an active post paid carrier Account and available upgrade.

Do you have both a sprint and Verizon account?

icespide

Banned
I've been trashing the iPhone lack of headphone jack for the longest time, now I'm pretty sure why my next phone will be.

I really hope someone with too much time on their hands has been collecting all of the "no headphone jack no buy" posts for posterity

j-wood

Since I'm a totally new iPhone user, what are some must have games? Right now I've installed infinity blade, trials frontier, and rayman adventures

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just wanted to say that Jet Black definitely doesn't look like plastic in person, and especially when you hold it. It's the most attractive of all the models to me, and perhaps the only one that 'looks' like a really new iphone. The best part is that the antenna lines blend in so well on it, that you really have to look for them closely to even see they're there.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. iUP phones are totally unlocked, the only time you NEED a carrier account is for the initial activation. After that you can do whatever you want. Buy the phone with your sprint account, activate it with sprint, then you can put in a Verizon sim whenever

I had those on Android and loved them! I didn't get to beat them though, but I guess that means I have to purchase them all again :(

Sales happen now and then, and there might be a bundle pack? I seem to recall that but haven't looked recently.

I noticed DX used one of my levels again too, haha. Deja Vu was strong yesterday.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. iUP phones are totally unlocked, the only time you NEED a carrier account is for the initial activation. After that you can do whatever you want. Buy the phone with your sprint account, activate it with sprint, then you can put in a Verizon sim whenever

Well I'm trying to avoid paying Sprint unnecessary fees on the two phones we're getting. I'd like to ideally skip the step of activating under Sprint.

OmniOne

My 7+ 128gig matte black ordered directly from apple right when the reservations opened is still sitting at 2-3 weeks out with oct 4 -10 window.

Seeing reports of people with later estimates already receiving or getting bumped up and shipped. Getting a little worried about what the heck is going on.

People's orders are going back and forth across the pacific on joyrides.

Lastly, a question is apples online in store pick up reserve site only for their financing program or if I manage to reserve one by me can I by outright?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh sweet, Deus Ex GO was on sale for 1.99. Just rebought that one. I signed up for mario run, and I hated clash royale haha.

Is there a good racing game that isn't fill of IAP?
Horizon Chase is a nice arcade racer.

Real Racing 3 (sim) is full of IAP, but is very playable for free.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Oh sweet, Deus Ex GO was on sale for 1.99. Just rebought that one. I signed up for mario run, and I hated clash royale haha.

Is there a good racing game that isn't fill of IAP?

Most have IAP.
I've been playing CSR2 which is decent. No need to spend real money if you join a decent clan and have patience.

darkvir

"A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

k? First was supposed to be today, then rescheduled to tomorrow, now it's all yellow with that message.

Just got the exact same thing... no idea what this all means.

ijm72

My 7+ 128gig matte black ordered directly from apple right when the reservations opened is still sitting at 2-3 weeks out with oct 4 -10 window.

Seeing reports of people with later estimates already receiving or getting bumped up and shipped. Getting a little worried about what the heck is going on.

People's orders are going back and forth across the pacific on joyrides.

Lastly, a question is apples online in store pick up reserve site only for their financing program or if I manage to reserve one by me can I by outright?

I was in the same position as you. I placed my order for a 7+ 128 GB matte AT&T phone about 30 minutes after preorders went live and as of yesterday it still had Oct 4-10 delivery window. Luckily it seems that apple stores in my area (Chicago) received some 7+ matte phones so I was able to reserve it and pick it up yesterday.

To answer your question, no the reserve site is not exclusive to the iPhone upgrade program. When you reserve the phone it says iPhone upgrade program and gives you the monthly payment price but you can change your payment option when you pick up your phone at the Apple Store. I informed the representative that I wanted to finance it through my carrier and she was able to do that for me. You should have no problem paying for the phone upfront.

Fliesen

i have to say, i'm kinda fond of the dongle.
now hear me out:

i ride my bike to work, and i feel like the connector being in the MIDDLE of the phone puts far less strain on the cable / connector of the dongle and even less on the headphones themselves. - (when in my pocket, my phone's screen is pointed towards my thigh, for reference)
since i'm mostly listening to podcast and non-audiophile music streaming via spotify, i naturally don't notice any drawbacks in audio quality. - also, having gone through 1 pair of EarPods a year, i like the thought that i'd just have to replace the 9$ dongle ;)

So there's at least ONE upside to that #dongleLife

Still, can't wait for either the beatsX or the AirPods to go on sale.
Switching headphones from iPhone (bike ride to work) to macbook (music) back to phone (bike ride to grab lunch) to macbook, maybe to phone again (poop break) ... etc.
It's such a hassle

edit: Also, i held a colleague's iPhone 7+ in Jet Black today. Looks much better in person than on the press shots. It really evokes some iPhone 3G / 3GS nostalgia and the smudges are sorta part of the deal anyways. still happy with my matte black

Crazyorloco

Going to the Apple Store was the quickest way for me to get the phone. My order from T-Mobile was estimated to come nov 1 to nov 30th. And it said that for about a week. I cancelled it as soon as I could. The same day I reserved it with Apple. I did have to wait on a long line, for about 45 mins to get the phone, but it beats waiting weeks (maybe over a month) for the device.

I walked in the Apple Store and paid in full. I didn't have an iPhone in the past or anything. So anyone can get the phone. I used the reserve site. You could finance if you want through Apple or your phone carrier.

AgeEighty

My iPhone 7 Plus 128GB in Black originally had a delivery window of Oct 4 - 12.

Then, this past monday, I got a notification: My order had shipped! It was due to arrive on Friday! Awesome!

Then I checked UPS' tracking, and it gave a rescheduled delivery date of Thursday! Even better!

I got an email from UPS MyChoice: actually, delivery was scheduled for Wednesday! Amazing!!

Then...

After the phone left China, no tracking updates for two days. On Wednesday, it finally updated to say that it's in... Korea? It took two days to go from China to Korea? And there is no longer a delivery estimate.

A full day later, and my tracking has just been updated again. It's under a "Severe Weather Delay" in Incheon, South Korea. Still no delivery estimate, but it says that they'll continue shipping as soon as the weather allows.

I just checked the weather in Incheon, South Korea. It's Mostly Sunny with wind at 1 mph for the next three days. There are also no major storms anywhere in the Pacific Ocean as far as I can see.

What. The fuck.

mf.luder

Then, this past monday, I got a notification: My order had shipped! It was due to arrive on Friday! Awesome!

Then I checked UPS' tracking, and it gave a rescheduled delivery date of Thursday! Even better!

I got an email from UPS MyChoice: actually, delivery was scheduled for Wednesday! Amazing!!

Then...

After the phone left China, no tracking updates for two days. On Wednesday, it finally updated to say that it's in... Korea? It took two days to go from China to Korea? And there is no longer a delivery estimate.

A full day later, and my tracking has just been updated again. It's under a "Severe Weather Delay" in Incheon, South Korea. Still no delivery estimate, but it says that they'll continue shipping as soon as the weather allows.

I just checked the weather in Incheon, South Korea. It's Mostly Sunny with wind at 1 mph for the next three days. There are also no major storms anywhere in the Pacific Ocean as far as I can see.

What. The fuck.

Just wait. You're still way ahead of the schedule. My watch did almost the same thing. It arrived yesterday and I'm loving it.

Then...

What. The fuck.

This happened to me. Apparently there's a physical scan which an actual human does and a "logical" scan which is the "system" anticipating where the package should be at any given time.

When I called UPS the iPhone rep (they had specific staff take iPhone shipping calls) they explained that the shipping center in china got overwhelmed. So they rerouted to Korea.

My phone should have arrived Tuesday. But I got it today.

My shipping info updated every 12 hours. Didn't say "out for delivery" until 8:30 am today. Got it 4 hours later.

I didn't get a delivery estimate until it was on the truck for delivery.

manakel

For as much as I trashed this phone for the lack of headphone jack prior to getting it - I must say all my fears have been squashed. I have a 7 Plus, and the battery life is so exceptional that the issue doesn't even arise of charging/listening to music at the same time. I still think the move was an anti-consumer one, but it's not impacting my music listening in anyway; I just keep the adapter connected to my headphones so I don't have to worry about losing it.

The phone is so extremely fast, it's unbelievable. I had the Note 7 for about two weeks so I can speak of the two, and the 7 Plus is notably faster. I would experience pretty bad lag intermittently on my Note 7.

I'm coming from a 6, so it's amazing to see how fast Touch ID is now! I'm so used to hitting the home button to turn the screen on, and it recognizes my fingerprint so fast I don't have time to glance at my notifications (is there any way to change this, btw lol). The camera is beautiful, and I know there has been some criticism about the new home button, but I absolutely love it.

My only issue right now is with bluetooth pairing in my car. For some reason, my car keeps saying "bluetooth failed" when trying to pair with my phone. I deleted the pairing and re-paired it and it was fine, but when I got back in my car later today it just failed again. Any ideas as to why this keeps happening?

For as much as I trashed this phone for the lack of headphone jack prior to getting it - I must say all my fears have been squashed. I have a 7 Plus, and the battery life is so exceptional that the issue doesn't even arise of charging/listening to music at the same time. I still think the move was an anti-consumer one, but it's not impacting my music listening in anyway; I just keep the adapter connected to my headphones so I don't have to worry about losing it.

The phone is so extremely fast, it's unbelievable. I had the Note 7 for about two weeks so I can speak of the two, and the 7 Plus is notably faster. I would experience pretty bad lag intermittently on my Note 7.

I'm coming from a 6, so it's amazing to see how fast Touch ID is now! I'm so used to hitting the home button to turn the screen on, and it recognizes my fingerprint so fast I don't have time to glance at my notifications (is there any way to change this, btw lol). The camera is beautiful, and I know there has been some criticism about the new home button, but I absolutely love it.

My only issue right now is with bluetooth pairing in my car. For some reason, my car keeps saying "bluetooth failed" when trying to pair with my phone. I deleted the pairing and re-paired it and it was fine, but when I got back in my car later today it just failed again. Any ideas as to why this keeps happening?

I feel like iOS10 has some random Bluetooth bugs that just have to be worked out. I haven't heard your exact issue but I know people are having problems with Bluetooth in general

Hustler

I was in the same position as you. I placed my order for a 7+ 128 GB matte AT&T phone about 30 minutes after preorders went live and as of yesterday it still had Oct 4-10 delivery window. Luckily it seems that apple stores in my area (Chicago) received some 7+ matte phones so I was able to reserve it and pick it up yesterday.

To answer your question, no the reserve site is not exclusive to the iPhone upgrade program. When you reserve the phone it says iPhone upgrade program and gives you the monthly payment price but you can change your payment option when you pick up your phone at the Apple Store. I informed the representative that I wanted to finance it through my carrier and she was able to do that for me. You should have no problem paying for the phone upfront.

Can you do this with the trade in program through AT&T as well? I'd like to take advantage of this. My phone isn't scheduled to deliver until oct 14th-21st.

ijm72

Can you do this with the trade in program through AT&T as well? I'd like to take advantage of this. My phone isn't scheduled to deliver until oct 14th-21st.
You mean ATT&T next? If so yes that is actually what I did. During the purchase process you get to pick which version of next you want (every year or every next year). You also choose whether you want to trade your phone back in to att&t or if you want to pay off the phone balance.

I feel like iOS10 has some random Bluetooth bugs that just have to be worked out. I haven't heard your exact issue but I know people are having problems with Bluetooth in general

Same here. It's been really annoying as I listen to music exclusively via Bluetooth across a variety of Bluetooth devices.

FStop7

Banned
My phone will be here tomorrow! Matte black, 7 Plus, 256gb. Ordered it through Verizon on day 1, original delivery date was 9/30.

Makki

I've had 2 instances now where the phone wont respond to touch or button presses, even holding the home button and power down for a while doesnt do anything. In the meantime, running applications dont freeze and I can tilt the phone still making everything rotate properly so it isnt a freeze, its more like any digital inputs are disabled.
After a minute or so the phone will act like nothing happened and start taking inputs again. It doesnt play catch up with my button presses either, its like it disconnects inputs.

Anyone run into this? Im hoping its some software glitch since I dont want to return the phone, but my old 6 never had any glitches.

KingKong

Anyone else getting a huge internet speed increase going from the iPhone 6? It's kind of crazy how much faster the LTE works for me

robotrock

Banned
I've had 2 instances now where the phone wont respond to touch or button presses, even holding the home button and power down for a while doesnt do anything. In the meantime, running applications dont freeze and I can tilt the phone still making everything rotate properly so it isnt a freeze, its more like any digital inputs are disabled.
After a minute or so the phone will act like nothing happened and start taking inputs again. It doesnt play catch up with my button presses either, its like it disconnects inputs.

Anyone run into this? Im hoping its some software glitch since I dont want to return the phone, but my old 6 never had any glitches.

Yep, I've had that once. Really freaked me out!

Happy to hear you had the same issue.

I had a question that I hope has an easy answer. I ordered an AT&T phone for in-store pickup (paying full price, no contract) with the intention of giving it to someone to use on T-Mobile. At the Apple store we chose to activate later and then they told me to take out the SIM before I even turn on the phone, put it in my current 6s+, and then the T-Mobile person can use the phone with their own SIM (they might have to call T-Mobile to activate it but whatever). I know others have done something similar to this so I just wanted to make sure this is correct and neither of us will have any issues. Can someone confirm?

Anyone else getting a huge internet speed increase going from the iPhone 6? It's kind of crazy how much faster the LTE works for me

I noticed this too from my 6+. Even on WiFi. My 6+ would constantly hang when downloading multiple albums. But downloads are flying on this thing.

breakfuss

Cancelled my order with AT&T...and walked right into a Target and got a Black 7 plus. And they still had some left over. Soooo...check Target locations if you want it earlier.

Top Bottom