• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

longdi

Banned
I have a question about ip7 wide color gamut screen, is it a 10bit panel? I thought the world's internet is stil on srgb and hence why oled screen suffers from oversaturated 'fake' colors, and it is recommended to set Samsung phones to 'basic'. Xperia also use wide color gamut screen. Android OS is also on srgb with no color awareness.

So how is Apple doing it differently and for the better?

Hustler

You mean ATT&T next? If so yes that is actually what I did. During the purchase process you get to pick which version of next you want (every year or every next year). You also choose whether you want to trade your phone back in to att&t or if you want to pay off the phone balance.

Great!! That's what I needed to know, thanks. Definitely watching the reserves st the Apple Store each morning now.

I have a question about ip7 wide color gamut screen, is it a 10bit panel? I thought the world's internet is stil on srgb and hence why oled screen suffers from oversaturated 'fake' colors, and it is recommended to set Samsung phones to 'basic'. Xperia also use wide color gamut screen. Android OS is also on srgb with no color awareness.

It's an 8 bpp panel. Gamut isn't about color depth although extra color depth can improve accuracy. The size of the gamut displayable is typically a function of brightness and contrast.

For as much as I trashed this phone for the lack of headphone jack prior to getting it - I must say all my fears have been squashed. I have a 7 Plus, and the battery life is so exceptional that the issue doesn't even arise of charging/listening to music at the same time. I still think the move was an anti-consumer one, but it's not impacting my music listening in anyway; I just keep the adapter connected to my headphones so I don't have to worry about losing it.

The phone is so extremely fast, it's unbelievable. I had the Note 7 for about two weeks so I can speak of the two, and the 7 Plus is notably faster. I would experience pretty bad lag intermittently on my Note 7.

I'm coming from a 6, so it's amazing to see how fast Touch ID is now! I'm so used to hitting the home button to turn the screen on, and it recognizes my fingerprint so fast I don't have time to glance at my notifications (is there any way to change this, btw lol). The camera is beautiful, and I know there has been some criticism about the new home button, but I absolutely love it.

My only issue right now is with bluetooth pairing in my car. For some reason, my car keeps saying "bluetooth failed" when trying to pair with my phone. I deleted the pairing and re-paired it and it was fine, but when I got back in my car later today it just failed again. Any ideas as to why this keeps happening?

Once you pull it out of your pocket, don't press any buttons. The screen will automatically turn on based on the accelerometer

So what storage options did most of you go with? And why did you go for that specifically? What's your normal use case with your phone?

256 because I was getting yelled at about using all the data every month from streaming music, so now I just download it all whenever I add it to my library to play locally

Posted this in the iOS thread, but I figured I'd ask here as well. Bought a new iPhone 7, and restored it from my backup and everything is great, except the camera roll is out of order.

In collections, if you search and everywhere else the photos come up in the right order. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Woohoo! My phone shipped. Estimated date for delivery was oct 7-14. It should be here Friday. 256gb matte black plus :) ATT for those wondering.

256 because I was getting yelled at about using all the data every month from streaming music, so now I just download it all whenever I add it to my library to play locally

I feel you. I like to keep my music stored locally because ios's cache management when it comes to streams is ass.

breakfuss

I feel you. I like to keep my music stored locally because ios's cache management when it comes to streams is ass.

I second this. Caching is currently fucked on both google and Spotify. It balloons out of nowhere for me. I'm still grandfathered into an unlimited plan though so I'm not so much worried about local capacity. I'm probably going to just get the iCloud monthly storage for $1/month because the phone will not shut up about me running out of space.

Aske

So what storage options did most of you go with? And why did you go for that specifically? What's your normal use case with your phone?

I went with 256GB. I'm not a typical user though. I like to read comics on my phone, and have a sizable library on my current 6. I also like to load up with podcasts, music, and video when I'm traveling and know I won't have access to the internet. My current phone is 128GB, and I've had to delete things I'd rather not in the last few months due to running out of space.

The guy who dealt with my pre-order really gave me the third degree about what I could possibly need 256GB for. He was over of those guys with 32GB that he didn't think he'd ever fill. I'm sure that's true of a majority of people, but I've always found that if I have the space, I will end up using it and appreciating it.

Grabbed a pair of QC35s tonight after being super unimpressed with the adapter audio today. Gonna try them tomorrow. Should be interesting!

128. Moving from a 32GB iPhone 5 where I'd have to limit the amount of music I put on it. Should have more than enough breathing room now. 256 just seemed like overkill though when I've been able to make 32 work for so long. I'm sure I'll expand my storage use with the extra space available though, especially if I keep podcasts or more videos on the phone.

I would say I'm a fairly average case, perhaps even use less space than the normal user besides music library since I don't subscribe to a streaming service. I don't use all that many apps (though I may change my habits with a more powerful phone now.) I don't think anyone but the most hardcore power user really needs more than 128GB on their phone right now though.

I don't think I'm keeping my iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black (if I receive it).

I'm probably going to return it back to T-Mobile or sell it for extra $$$ if I find a buyer.

The iPhone 6 Trade in promo ends 9/25, and my order is still processing.

I'm not going to pay full price for iPhone 7 Plus: $940. I'm not going to order an iPhone 7 full price either without the iPhone 6 trade in promo.

Oh well, I won't upgrade this year. I prefer $300 profit.

My wife absolutely cannot get her iPhone 6 backup to restore on her iPhone 7. It pretends it's going to work and then stops with "Cannot Restore Backup" with one minute left on the restore progress bar. Help?

NYR

My wife absolutely cannot get her iPhone 6 backup to restore on her iPhone 7. It pretends it's going to work and then stops with "Cannot Restore Backup" with one minute left on the restore progress bar. Help?
This is my worst nightmare, my condolences. Can I suggest a different wifi source? Might be as simple as that since it at least starts the back up process.

KevinG

Was her 6 on iOS 10?

My wife experienced the same issue several times, but then I realized that the 7 is preinstalled wih iOS 10 and may not run on anything prior.

It all worked first try after she updated her 6 to iOS 10, and created a new backup.

Edit: You also may not have her 6 anymore, in which case ¯_(ツ)_/¯

shingi70

Banned
Best place to ask but what's a good RSS reader for iOS. I used to use Feedly on Android, but I was looking for something with a much better design I guess.

Vyer

I don't think I'm keeping my iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black (if I receive it).

I'm probably going to return it back to T-Mobile or sell it for extra $$$ if I find a buyer.

The iPhone 6 Trade in promo ends 9/25, and my order is still processing.

I'm not going to pay full price for iPhone 7 Plus: $940. I'm not going to order an iPhone 7 full price either without the iPhone 6 trade in promo.

Oh well, I won't upgrade this year. I prefer $300 profit.

I don't think you'll lose the promo just because it's still processing, but I'd call them just to confirm.

I don't think you'll lose the promo just because it's still processing, but I'd call them just to confirm.

I should've preordered another iphone 7 32gb for $702. I would prefer using the iPhone 6 trade-in promo for the iPhone 7 32gb instead, and sell off the iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black for $200-$300 profit.

Could be a corrupt backup. Maybe make a new one if she still has the old phone to iCloud (or even iTunes) and try again?

AT&T store had 7s in stock today, but not 7 Plus models. I bit and stuck with the 7, and upgraded from my 6.
Raise to wake freaked me out at first, but love it already. And totally digging the 3D touch. Just worried about having buyer's remorse and not going to a 7 Plus. I will save the plus upgrade for the next phone.

JayDub

Battery update:

3rd day: heavy usage, auto brightness, no games, lots of email and lots of safari usage with some YouTube usage. Started at 6:30am and now at 7:30pm.

50% left.

This battery is a beast.

toohectic

Battery update:

3rd day: heavy usage, auto brightness, no games, lots of email and lots of safari usage with some YouTube usage. Started at 6:30am and now at 7:30pm.

50% left.

This battery is a beast.

This is a 7plus I assume? (Hard to search thread right now.)

randome

How does the ATT promo work? I went there a couple weeks ago and ordered the 7 plus, but it wont be here until mid October. They told me that it'd be fine and just to bring in my old 6+ when the new one got here and they'd give me the $650 credit or whatever.

I'm amazed how well this phone has seemingly sold. All the "Analysts" were saying how it would not sell that well compared to other phones and I presume Apple didn't manufacture a lot of them based off of their own internal feedback and as a result all of the AT&T, Best Buy, and Apple Store's in my area don't have anything to offer.

I still can't wrap my head around the insane line outside the Apple Store on 5th Ave. Why aren't these people just checking the app and doing an in-store pickup and not have to wait in line?

Saw it was available this afternoon, gave me a 6PM pickup time, was out in 20 minutes tops

T Dollarz

Found out from T-Mobile today I can upgrade for free, or $150 down on the 128gb Plus (which is what I will do), but it won't even arrive for two months. Well, fuck.

I still can't wrap my head around the insane line outside the Apple Store on 5th Ave. Why aren't these people just checking the app and doing an in-store pickup and not have to wait in line?

Saw it was available this afternoon, gave me a 6PM pickup time, was out in 20 minutes tops

LOL I was there at 6 as well and it's the most people I've ever seen in/outside of a store in my life. The only other launch I've participated in was the 5 and this was like 2x worse. Those people in line outside didn't have a reservation and/or were waiting to get a phone without being forced on a particular carrier; they wanted to do what I did (buy outright and choose a different carrier) but I kind of skirted the rules and got away with it when I probably wasn't supposed to.

I had a question that I hope has an easy answer. I ordered an AT&T phone for in-store pickup (paying full price, no contract) with the intention of giving it to someone to use on T-Mobile. At the Apple store we chose to activate later and then they told me to take out the SIM before I even turn on the phone, put it in my current 6s+, and then the T-Mobile person can use the phone with their own SIM (they might have to call T-Mobile to activate it but whatever). I know others have done something similar to this so I just wanted to make sure this is correct and neither of us will have any issues. Can someone confirm?

Since nobody answered me (rude) I answered my own question: You can pop in any compatible SIM as long as you haven't activated the phone. You don't have to put the SIM from the 7 into your current phone either, but I'm gonna hold onto the new SIM just in case.

Battery update:

50% left.

This battery is a beast.

Haha I have a regular 7, did some emails, safari, connected to my Bluetooth in the car and listening to Spotify during my 3 hour trip, random texts, etc all while my Apple Watch is connected, with all my apps background refresh on. Left at 7:30 this morning, almost 10:00pm now, and it's at 83%.

numble

So I was playing with the 2x camera on the plus at best buy, and had my s7 to do comparison shots at 2x zoom. The s7 honestly looked better to my eyes, so I dunno. Think im just gonna get my note7 replaced. I was hyped about the optical zoom but now not so much.

Are there any reviews of the plus with comparisons of the s7/note7 digitally zoomed?

The optical zoom is not used unless it is in a bright enough setting.

NYR

Was her 6 on iOS 10?

My wife experienced the same issue several times, but then I realized that the 7 is preinstalled wih iOS 10 and may not run on anything prior.

It all worked first try after she updated her 6 to iOS 10, and created a new backup.

Edit: You also may not have her 6 anymore, in which case ¯_(ツ)_/¯
You can go backwards, not forwards. In other words, you can use an iOS <=9 back up on an iOS 10 phone, but not an iOS 10 back up on a iOS <=9 phone, for example.

JayDub

Not as impressed with the camera. So the dual cameras dont combine to create a better picture?

Either way, I prefer the S7's pictures. These dont even look better than the 6S. The colors look so bland.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

I doubt that the panel is 10-bits, but I can't say for sure. The color gamut of a display is primarily determined by the color spectrum abilities of the backlighting tech used (CCFL, LED, etc). Internet is sRGB for the most part, yes, but browsers are becoming better at being aware of the color profile tagged within an image and displaying it properly (provided the rest of your hardware and OS is capable). Apple has finally brought OS-level color management to iOS (started with iOS 9 if I recall) and this is what allows them to display both P3 images and sRGB properly on the display. They basically brought ColorSync from OSX over to iOS and it's a great move. Android doesn't have this kind of color management yet, but I'm sure they won't be far behind.

OLED doesn't always have to be oversaturated, kinda depends on what the manufacturer wants to set it as. The fact that OLED could produce such vibrant colors was a selling point for phone makers to differentiate themselves. Samsung's latest OLED displays are incredibly accurate if you set them to be and I'm sure if Apple does switch to it for the next iPhone that their display will be as good or better as the current one on the 7.

kaskade

This screen seems to work better when wet. If there were droplets on the older phones it would have a hard time knowing exactly where you'd touch. I was doing the dishes and went to send a text and it had no real issue recognizing where I was typing.

Top Bottom