• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I doubt that the panel is 10-bits, but I can't say for sure. The color gamut of a display is primarily determined by the color spectrum abilities of the backlighting tech used (CCFL, LED, etc). Internet is sRGB for the most part, yes, but browsers are becoming better at being aware of the color profile tagged within an image and displaying it properly (provided the rest of your hardware and OS is capable). Apple has finally brought OS-level color management to iOS (started with iOS 9 if I recall) and this is what allows them to display both P3 images and sRGB properly on the display. They basically brought ColorSync from OSX over to iOS and it's a great move. Android doesn't have this kind of color management yet, but I'm sure they won't be far behind.

OLED doesn't always have to be oversaturated, kinda depends on what the manufacturer wants to set it as. The fact that OLED could produce such vibrant colors was a selling point for phone makers to differentiate themselves. Samsung's latest OLED displays are incredibly accurate if you set them to be and I'm sure if Apple does switch to it for the next iPhone that their display will be as good or better as the current one on the 7.

There's no way Apple would let a future display be crazy over saturated and inaccurate, even if it's OLED. Years of the screen being slightly too blue aside, the 7 has a noticeably warmer (more accurate) tint and I don't think they're going back

My wife absolutely cannot get her iPhone 6 backup to restore on her iPhone 7. It pretends it's going to work and then stops with "Cannot Restore Backup" with one minute left on the restore progress bar. Help?

I went through the same thing with my wife's this evening. I ended up using a different computer - stared on my pc but then tried again on my MacBook. I also swapped lightning cables. Once I swapped and used the other computer it went fine (I pulled a fresh backup from her 6 on the new computer before restoring).

Having to watch my wife using her phone is making the wait so much more painful.

I thought people were exaggerating when the acted shocked at how fast Touch ID works but holy shit, it really is instant. I don't even bother using it on my 5S but man, when it's practically instantaneous why not?

I may be in the minority, but I don't ever listen to music on my phone and charge my phone at the same time.

I usually carry my laptop with me. I also have Bose QC35 when I do want to listen to music.

if Apple released two different versions.. 1 with the audio port and the one that we currently have im pretty sure the first would be the best selling.

Hi I'm a dumb weirdo who doesn't know anything about phones, help me please.

I bought a 6 Plus all the way back in December 2014 and now I wanna upgrade to the 7 Plus, Jet Black. Of course, that model's sold out pretty much everywhere. I also wanna sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program, because I'm currently on Verizon and I'm sick of them charging 1.5x as much as everyone else for the same service - so I wanna shop around the networks and see what works best for me. But I know about the trick where the Verizon phones have both GSM and CDMA, whereas two of them do not (T-Mobile and AT&T I think it was?) - so I plan on getting a Verizon-assigned phone through the program.

So Jet Black 7+s are sold out till like November, but my current contract with Verizon doesn't end till December 6th - and I know you can't get one with no carrier data, you have to get it already set up on one of the networks. So... if I order my phone now, and it gets here in November, is it automatically gonna override my current phone by a month early and I get charged an early termination fee? Or can I just buy the phone and not activate it till Dec 6th rolls around?

breakfuss

I got my plus yesterday but still have my 6 until I send it in to At&T. And man, as much as I'm digging the bigger screen on the plus, there is something about my 6 that is just... ergonomically perfect. I didn't realize how...portable( ?) it was. lol I hope I can get used to this.

NYR

I got my plus yesterday but still have my 6 until I send it in to At&T. And man, as much as I'm digging the bigger screen on the plus, there is something about my 6 that is just... ergonomically perfect. I didn't realize how...portable( ?) it was. lol I hope I can get used to this.
You will get used to it. It is like getting a new car and the steering wheel is different than the one you used daily for 7 years.

manakel

I bought a 6 Plus all the way back in December 2014 and now I wanna upgrade to the 7 Plus, Jet Black. Of course, that model's sold out pretty much everywhere. I also wanna sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program, because I'm currently on Verizon and I'm sick of them charging 1.5x as much as everyone else for the same service - so I wanna shop around the networks and see what works best for me. But I know about the trick where the Verizon phones have both GSM and CDMA, whereas two of them do not (T-Mobile and AT&T I think it was?) - so I plan on getting a Verizon-assigned phone through the program.

So Jet Black 7+s are sold out till like November, but my current contract with Verizon doesn't end till December 6th - and I know you can't get one with no carrier data, you have to get it already set up on one of the networks. So... if I order my phone now, and it gets here in November, is it automatically gonna override my current phone by a month early and I get charged an early termination fee? Or can I just buy the phone and not activate it till Dec 6th rolls around?
I could be completely wrong, so don't take my word for it. But I'm pretty certain you would have to buy the phone outright if you're not eligible for an upgrade, no? During the checkout process you have to select to either go on Apple's IUP program or through your carrier. If you go the IUP route, I THINK it still checks with your carrier to make sure you're not still under contract? But if you plan to switch to another service, they might just buy out your remaining contract with Verizon.

So honestly I have no clue lol. MacRumors forums would probably be a good place to check and see if anyone had a similar question.

The 7+ has an extra telephoto lens and no it doesn't do 3D.
Ok. That's the name, but why does it have two cameras? Double the sensor count? I'm trying to see the logic here. 'Telephoto' comes up as 'magnifying'? I don't get it and Apple commercials are worthless at explaining anything.

Ok. That's the name, but why does it have two cameras? Double the sensor count? I'm trying to see the logic here. 'Telephoto' comes up as 'magnifying'? I don't get it and Apple commercials are worthless at explaining anything.

It's a telephoto lens. It's used to take a zoomed in picture without relying on digital zoom. It also allows the 7+ to have the portrait feature for some fake Bokeh.

KevinG

You can go backwards, not forwards. In other words, you can use an iOS <=9 back up on an iOS 10 phone, but not an iOS 10 back up on a iOS <=9 phone, for example.
Gotcha.

It's very possible my wife's backup from her 6 had just been corrupted somehow, and creating a new backup remedied the issue.

The zoom button switches from one lens to the other, when do they combine?

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-apples-iphone-7-plus-melds-two-cameras-into-one/

But in other circumstances, the telephoto camera lends a hand to improve wider-angle shots.

When you're shooting between 1.5x zoom and 1.99x zoom, the iPhone 7 Plus doesn't just digitally magnify the pixels from the wide-angle lens. It also can blend higher-resolution imagery from the telephoto lens into the central portion of the frame -- an approach Apple internally calls "fusion."

You still get a 12-megapixel image. But the second camera can provide sharper detail to avoid digital zoom muddiness.

I can't find it now but some reviewer posted screenshots, on Twitter, of documentation stating that the cameras combine for all images.

mrkgoo

The zoom button switches from one lens to the other, when do they combine?

I suspect digital zoom, but It's possibly pulling in all sorts of info to generally get the shot as well. the iPhone camera isn't just taking an image onto a sensor and processing afterwards. It's doing a bunch of calculations every time, including for focussing, exposure etc...but it might also be doing things like multiple exposures and combining. I imagine the dual camera system would lend into this a bit more and provide more info.

I also heard one pundit mention that sometimes the 2x mode isn't even using the telephoto lens, but he hasn't released his article yet, so i don't know what he means.

NYR

Anyone having issues using the line controls on headphones when connected to the lighting to 3.5 mm adapter? I can't seem to use the buttons and volume controls on my headphones to control the phones audio options anymore?

mrkgoo

Anyone having issues using the line controls on headphones when connected to the lighting to 3.5 mm adapter? I can't seem to use the buttons and volume controls on my headphones to control the phones audio options anymore?

Is it all the time, or is it intermittent? Are you experiencing this problem:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/19/apple-bug-fix-lightning-earpods/

? IF so, a fix is coming, but you can plug and unplug to get it going. IF it's all the time, may I suggest trying the setup with different headphones, adapter and/or phone to determine which component may be causing the issue.

sangreal

But they do combine to create a better picture.

no they don't, outside of the depth mode in beta

the only wizardry being done is if it decides the light is too low it forces you to use digital zoom on the wide angle lens (without even bothering to let you know)

I suspect digital zoom, but It's possibly pulling in all sorts of info to generally get the shot as well. the iPhone camera isn't just taking an image onto a sensor and processing afterwards. It's doing a bunch of calculations every time, including for focussing, exposure etc...but it might also be doing things like multiple exposures and combining. I imagine the dual camera system would lend into this a bit more and provide more info.

I also heard one pundit mention that sometimes the 2x mode isn't even using the telephoto lens, but he hasn't released his article yet, so i don't know what he means.

2X mode doesn't always use the telephoto lens, apparently it depends on how much light there is.

I could be completely wrong, so don't take my word for it. But I'm pretty certain you would have to buy the phone outright if you're not eligible for an upgrade, no? During the checkout process you have to select to either go on Apple's IUP program or through your carrier. If you go the IUP route, I THINK it still checks with your carrier to make sure you're not still under contract? But if you plan to switch to another service, they might just buy out your remaining contract with Verizon.

So honestly I have no clue lol. MacRumors forums would probably be a good place to check and see if anyone had a similar question.

iUP does NOT check to see if you're currently in a contract and does not override whatever contract you may be in. Basically the carrier sees it as if you had bought the iPhone full price, and you continue having whatever service you may have. Whatever contract you're in stays in effect

What this means is the easiest thing to do would be to buy the phone on iUP, activate it with Verizon (because it needs a carrier account to activate on), and then wait for your Verizon contract to end and shop around for another service. After the initial activation with a carrier the phone is unlocked and you can do whatever you want. The Verizon phone has both GSM and CDMA chips so you have a lot of options

freshair

no they don't, outside of the depth mode in beta

the only wizardry being done is if it decides the light is too low it forces you to use digital zoom on the wide angle lens (without even bothering to let you know)

Every time you take a picture with the iPhone 7, both the wide angle and telephoto fire off. Yes, two 12 megapixel pictures for every shot. This could be a prime driver behind the increase of the iPhone 7 Plus’ memory to 3GB.

Both images are needed due to an Apple technique it is calling “fusion” internally. Fusion takes data from both sensors and merges them into the best possible picture for every condition. If, for instance, there is a low-light scene that has some dark areas, the image-processing chip could choose to pick up some image data (pixels or other stuff like luminance) from the brighter f1.8 wide angle and mix it in with the data from the f2.8 telephoto, creating a composite image on the fly without any input from the user. This fusion technique is available to every shot coming from the camera, which means that the iPhone 7 Plus is mixing and matching data every time that trigger is tapped.

This technique is made possible because the optics, coatings, sensors, perspectives and color balances of the two cameras are perfectly matched.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/09/13/panzarino-iphone-7

Crazyorloco

Not as impressed with the camera. So the dual cameras dont combine to create a better picture?

Either way, I prefer the S7's pictures. These dont even look better than the 6S. The colors look so bland.

I agree. The S7 and Note 7 take better pictures and they are sharper. The colors are ok on the Iphone 7/Plus for me, I feel they are accurately representing real life more.

What I really dislike is that light (or the color white) gets blown out so much in pics when it is not the focus of the pic. It looks like a nuclear explosion went off.

See below. I focus on the lock and it focuses well, but look at the light in the back. What the heck is that. In the second pic I focused on the light and all was well.

image.jpeg

This is something that does not occur with the S7/Note 7 phones. They handle light much better.

I am looking forward to the portrait mode update. I think i'll like the camera more then.

Nonsense which is easily tested, which is even evident in the commentary by Gruber at that link in which he states he does not see it

To clarify: this is a feature but there is zero reason to think apple is using it outside of the unreleased mode

It appears this feature may only be used when zooming in between 1x and 2x.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/13/review-apple-tees-up-the-future-with-iphone-7/

In between the 1x and 2x positions on the zoom scale, the two optical lenses are blended together to create a whole image. Above 2x the fusion technique applies as described above. So this is not a &#8216;pure crop&#8217; of the telephoto lens as it zooms, you&#8217;re getting the best possible image that the image processor can create from all of the raw sensor data it has (24 megapixels worth) in every shot. Data near the center of the image could be from the sharper-at-a-distance telephoto, and data at the edges could be from the wide. Once again, all seamless to the user.

And for those who doubt if it's a feature at all:

https://developer.apple.com/reference/avfoundation/avcapturedevicetype/2361496-builtinduocamera

Devices of this type support the following new features:

Automatic switching between cameras to obtain a higher quality image for the current combination of zoom factor, light level, and focus position.

Capturing higher-quality still images when zoomed in, by automatically fusing images from both cameras.

The weird thing is the iOS 7/early 8 app *did* use album art when there's no artist pic. The mic shit is a regression.

yeah! It's bizarre! I imagine an update will come in the upcoming weeks. Just annoying that what I was hoping would be my perfect 'media consumption' device is hamstrung by bad on-board audio (lightning connector definitely seems worse than bluetooth in my small tests) and this crap. My old, crammed full of music 128 GB phone feels better to operate than this 175GB archive of music.

Bah, I'm just bitter because I've had a bad week or two.

Going to install 10.0.2 with the hope that there are some hidden fixes for bluetooth audio connectivity w/ my 7+. I'm getting issues waaaay beyond the problems 10.0.1 introduced to my iPhone 6+.

-Random skipping and crackling of audio even when the phone is 1 foot from me with direct line of sight.

Tried rebooting headphones and the phone.

Tried deleting the device from bluetooth settings on the phone and re-pairing.

Tried multiple bluetooth headphones.

Really annoying.

kaskade

Glad we are getting an update for that issue already. I've been getting some soft crashes(?) on the phone. It'll close everything out turn black for a second and then ask me for the passcode. iPhone 7 plus. I'm trying to watch now and see when it specifically does it. Last time it was when taking a photo which was really annoying.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I agree. The S7 and Note 7 take better pictures and they are sharper. The colors are ok on the Iphone 7/Plus for me, I feel they are accurately representing real life more.

What I really dislike is that light (or the color white) gets blown out so much in pics when it is not the focus of the pic. It looks like a nuclear explosion went off.

See below. I focus on the lock and it focuses well, but look at the light in the back. What the heck is that. In the second pic I focused on the light and all was well.

image.jpeg

This is something that does not occur with the S7/Note 7 phones. They handle light much better.

I am looking forward to the portrait mode update. I think i'll like the camera more then.

a tough call.. I have looked at probably every review out there so far (most give the nod to S7).. and honestly, I feel iPhone does much better color with better gradients and better detail. I also think that it does subjectively better night shots, with not quite the level of detail of the S7 but also less artifacting (banding and noise). Given on those criteria, the iPhone is a better camera.

where S7 beats it though are two important areas... autofocus speed/accuracy and the infamous highlight blowout. both cases can be worked around (manually focusing, or waiting for AF, and manual exposure). being that these two things are present in virtually every photo you take, it's hard to argue against the S7 as the better of the two. If iPhone is a 9, S7 is a 10, overall.

With that being said, working with focus and exposure, IMHO the iphone 7 can put out a better (to my eyes) picture, and a better (much better, again to my eyes) low light picture.

but in a test of just pulling both phones right from your pocket and snapping a pic as fast as you can, there's a strong chance the S7 will win by a small bit.

Going to install 10.0.2 with the hope that there are some hidden fixes for bluetooth audio connectivity w/ my 7+. I'm getting issues waaaay beyond the problems 10.0.1 introduced to my iPhone 6+.

-Random skipping and crackling of audio even when the phone is 1 foot from me with direct line of sight.

Tried rebooting headphones and the phone.

Tried deleting the device from bluetooth settings on the phone and re-pairing.

Tried multiple bluetooth headphones.

Really annoying.

Same. There's no Bluetooth skipping in my car but with my external speakers at home it's crazy bad

Please fix Apple

samn

Saw Metric last night in Toronto, gave me an excuse to try out the 7 Plus' 2x lens.

29251045244_8785496f25_b.jpg

Edit: Also shot a video at 2x. Uploaded to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrqDAflJZm4, make sure to choose 1080p!

Interestingly, shooting 1080p on the telephoto lens offers no real benefit over shooting 1080p at 2x digital zoom because it's a 12MP camera. You can go up to 5x digital zoom (theoretically) on the wide angle lens before you actually start stretching pixels.

In fact shooting 1080p at 2x digital zoom on the wide angle lens would actually look much better than video through the telephoto lens because the wide angle has OIS and the telephoto doesn't. I wonder if the software is smart enough to use the wide angle for video until you hit a really high zoom

Same. There's no Bluetooth skipping in my car but with my external speakers at home it's crazy bad

Please fix Apple

What really bothers me about this is that NONE of the big media outlets are reporting this. Which they should given that the headphone port has been removed from the iPhone which was big news.

I believe this issue would be resolved sooner if the tech pundits reported this issue. Did they not test this extensively during their reviews?

What really bothers me about this is that NONE of the big media outlets are reporting this. Which they should given that the headphone port has been removed from the iPhone which was big news.

I believe this issue would be resolved sooner if the tech pundits reported this issue. Did they not test this extensively during their reviews?

If you want noise made, make noise. Tweet these media folks. Get others to do it.

If you want noise made, make noise. Tweet these media folks. Get others to do it.

I have no where near the reach a publication the Verge, or Engadget or a plethora of tech blogs have. My point is why wouldn't a crippling issue like this be mentioned. One would think with removing the audio jack they'd put bluetooth through its paces.

I have no where near the reach a publication the Verge, or Engadget or a plethora of tech blogs have. My point is why wouldn't a crippling issue like this be mentioned. One would think with removing the audio jack they'd put bluetooth through its paces.

It may not be a widespread issue

No I get that. I'm saying that if it is a widespread issue, encourage people you know who are affected to tweet the Verge and Engadget and these others. Ask them if they encountered these problems. See if they could maybe shine some light on it.

If they hear enough noise, they'll likely say something.

Top Bottom