• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Hmm my phone finally left China and Korea. It's in Alaska now, that means it has to be coming to my house soon right? Or is it gonna go to Kentucky and then back to where I am in California?

samn

This feels better than my 6+, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Is iOS 10 snappier? The haptic feedback? RAM?

I found search results and opening apps appear much faster on a 7 in store than on my 5s

I was surprised it could feel much faster, I'd thought my 5s was fast enough and mostly limited by animations/iOS limitations but nope.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I agree. The S7 and Note 7 take better pictures and they are sharper. The colors are ok on the Iphone 7/Plus for me, I feel they are accurately representing real life more.

What I really dislike is that light (or the color white) gets blown out so much in pics when it is not the focus of the pic. It looks like a nuclear explosion went off.

See below. I focus on the lock and it focuses well, but look at the light in the back. What the heck is that. In the second pic I focused on the light and all was well.

image.jpeg

This is something that does not occur with the S7/Note 7 phones. They handle light much better.

I am looking forward to the portrait mode update. I think i'll like the camera more then.

you know you can focus on the lock and then adjust the exposure, right?

VoxPop

Finally got to see and play with the Jet Black 7 today. It looks and feels great but I just can't wait till November :( I don't know if it was all scratched up from regular use or people coming into the store and intentionally scratching it like assholes just to see.

This feels better than my 6+, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Is iOS 10 snappier? The haptic feedback? RAM?

iOS 10 is snappier. The animations have been shortened so the apps seem to load and close faster. The CollectionView and TableView APIs have been heavily updated to do more work beforehand rather than JIT assembling of the view. This means less glitchyness and jankiness if the CPU can't keep up with cell creation in real time.

Oh hey, my case fits the 7. Blocks the flash I think but who cares lol. Stop gap for the moment.

gonna take some time to get used to this home button.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
After a day with my jet black Plus, I gotta say: I made the right choice.

My 6S Plus was no slouch - but somehow the 7 feels even faster. It's seriously faster than most computers, it feels like, at this point.

Screen is beautiful. And yeah, JB is a finger print magnet and will look like shit here soon. But today? One day in? It's pure sex. Fucking gorgeous.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Man now I'm starting to regret getting Jet Black over Matte black. I want to use my phone caseless like I've always have, but being on AT&T Next I have to keep this damn thing in pristine condition. The Spigen case I have now is awesome, but with that Jet Black it has those stupid air bubbles on the back. I'll have to get an Apple leather case when I get the money.

Edit-You know what ? When I get my student refund, I'm going to buy a Matte Black iPhone 7 outright and AT&T can get this one back. Or I can just pay it off and not worry about scratching it.

Edit- Ah hell I can't do that, because I have to have a certain amount paid before they'll let me upgrade. Yeah I'll just pay it off.

digdug2k

Heh. A friend of mine is bitching that the controls on her old headphones don't work anymore when using the dongle. Is that true? If so.... hahhahaha?

Man now I'm starting to regret getting Jet Black over Matte black. I want to use my phone caseless like I've always have, but being on AT&T Next I have to keep this damn thing in pristine condition. The Spigen case I have now is awesome, but with that Jet Black it has those stupid air bubbles on the back. I'll have to get an Apple leather case when I get the money.

Edit-You know what ? When I get my student refund, I'm going to buy a Matte Black iPhone 7 outright and AT&T can get this one back. Or I can just pay it off and not worry about scratching it.

Edit- Ah hell I can't do that, because I have to have a certain amount paid before they'll let me upgrade. Yeah I'll just pay it off.

Why can't you just exchange it? iPhone just came out

You should have 14 Days anywhere to exchange.

NYR

Is it all the time, or is it intermittent? Are you experiencing this problem:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/19/apple-bug-fix-lightning-earpods/

? IF so, a fix is coming, but you can plug and unplug to get it going. IF it's all the time, may I suggest trying the setup with different headphones, adapter and/or phone to determine which component may be causing the issue.
Yep, that was it! 10.0.2 fixed the headphone line audio controls issue.

Thanks!

Ecto311

Went to best buy today and they had a flat black one on the floor. Looks awesome. Still waiting on mine I preordered weeks ago to even go from preparing to ship to actually getting here.

Is there any tracker sites? I am looking for another one 7+ in 128 flat black but they are so damn hard to find. Drove almost 3 hours today to different places and all claim apple is holding them back. Att here if that makes any difference.

Red

iOS 10 is snappier. The animations have been shortened so the apps seem to load and close faster. The CollectionView and TableView APIs have been heavily updated to do more work beforehand rather than JIT assembling of the view. This means less glitchyness and jankiness if the CPU can't keep up with cell creation in real time.
Thanks for clarifying this. I noticed things felt faster on my 6s plus but couldn't pin down why. It was so quick at first I thought they might have sped the animations to 60fps.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Returned my 7 + 256GB Matte Black. 😢

"Coil whine" started showing up in videos as well not just normal background noise. Apple were cool about it at the store returned it no problems.

I'll wait till next month try my hand at it again till that time back to iPhone 5 I have laying around.

Voidance

Ordered a black plus 128gb on Sat 11 from Sprint; still waiting for tracking. What's everyone's Sprint experience?
I recognize I'm in the minority here, but I have had Sprint for over a year and have no complaints. My service has been great, speeds are good, and call quality is the same as when I had Verizon (this was prior to VoLTE, however). I'm very aware your mileage will vary depending on where you live, but I don't plan on switching any time soon.

As for my order, it went better than expected. I ordered my 7 and my wife's 7+ at 7 AM on 9/9, and both phones made it here on launch day (even my wife's which shipped the night before). I didn't expect to get my phone until after launch given my order time, but it was in my hand at 2 PM on 9/16.

Odd behavior. Have iPhone 7, both times now upgrading from 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 has resulted in the phone rebooting and saying ' Attempting data recovery'. Works fine afterwards, but has happened twice so far. Anyone else?

Returned my 7 + 256GB Matte Black. 😢

"Coil whine" started showing up in videos as well not just normal background noise. Apple were cool about it at the store returned it no problems.

I'll wait till next month try my hand at it again till that time back to iPhone 5 I have laying around.

I can only hear it if I put my phone directly up to my ear. Other than that its a non issue. I'd never know if it wasn't pointed out. So if it's louder than that yea. Either get a replacement or wait until revisions.

Is anyone having problems finding a black iPhone 7 plus? I went to like 4 different stores and none had them. Verizon's website says they'll ship until October 19. Ugh I pre ordered mine with Verizon and it still hasn't shipped.

Use http://www.istocknow.com/live/ for Apple Store inventory. Stock has dramatically increase since Wednesday so you will have a great shot. It refreshes around 12:01 Eastern time and you can reserve right away if you're up.

What if you bought the phone with a Sprint account but before booting the phone go to Verizon and have them switch the sim and then activate it? That should be fine, right?

Yes, this is what I did. Make sure it's not activated in any way (tell them to choose 'Activate later') and take the SIM out before you turn on the phone.

My 7+ 128gig matte black ordered directly from apple right when the reservations opened is still sitting at 2-3 weeks out with oct 4 -10 window.

Seeing reports of people with later estimates already receiving or getting bumped up and shipped. Getting a little worried about what the heck is going on.

People's orders are going back and forth across the pacific on joyrides.

Lastly, a question is apples online in store pick up reserve site only for their financing program or if I manage to reserve one by me can I by outright?

I think this was already answered but it can be bought outright.

My iPhone 7 Plus 128GB in Black originally had a delivery window of Oct 4 - 12.

Then, this past monday, I got a notification: My order had shipped! It was due to arrive on Friday! Awesome!

Then I checked UPS' tracking, and it gave a rescheduled delivery date of Thursday! Even better!

I got an email from UPS MyChoice: actually, delivery was scheduled for Wednesday! Amazing!!

Then...

After the phone left China, no tracking updates for two days. On Wednesday, it finally updated to say that it's in... Korea? It took two days to go from China to Korea? And there is no longer a delivery estimate.

A full day later, and my tracking has just been updated again. It's under a "Severe Weather Delay" in Incheon, South Korea. Still no delivery estimate, but it says that they'll continue shipping as soon as the weather allows.

I just checked the weather in Incheon, South Korea. It's Mostly Sunny with wind at 1 mph for the next three days. There are also no major storms anywhere in the Pacific Ocean as far as I can see.

What. The fuck.

Lmao at you playing weatherman!

What does that even mean? Isn't preventing them from not working a good thing? :S

Haha, funny typo.

Went to best buy today and they had a flat black one on the floor. Looks awesome. Still waiting on mine I preordered weeks ago to even go from preparing to ship to actually getting here.

Is there any tracker sites? I am looking for another one 7+ in 128 flat black but they are so damn hard to find. Drove almost 3 hours today to different places and all claim apple is holding them back. Att here if that makes any difference.

1. http://www.istocknow.com/live/
2. I love how your 'matte' (or 'jet') got autocorrected twice to 'flat'.

I have been playing with my new 7 plus, an upgrade from the 6s plus. I am really enjoying it so far. It doesn't feel like a gigantic upgrade from the 6s, but I wasn't really expecting it to.

I have diagnosed severe OCD, and everything I buy gets over analyzed as far as build quality goes. I bought the matte black, and the phone seems well built. I really enjoyed the black compared to the 6s space grey. At least for two minutes before I threw it into a speck grip case.

The home button is excellent, and I was worried I might not like it based on initial impressions. I would have assumed it was a physical button had I not been told about it. The haptic engine is improved over the 6s, and has a lot of subtle improvements.

The screen looks nice, uniform, and crisp. I can't say if the colors are better on the display or camera because I am colorblind. The 3D Touch seems feel a bit better than the 6s. I have been using it far more than I did before. Not sure why it feels better. Peeking on links loads faster, it seems.

The stereo speaker is both great and unusual. The sound itself is improved, but the screen vibrates like crazy at max volume. I thought the haptic engine was going haywire. Anyone else notice this?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I can only hear it if I put my phone directly up to my ear. Other than that its a non issue. I'd never know if it wasn't pointed out. So if it's louder than that yea. Either get a replacement or wait until revisions.

Issue was for me it starting showing up in videos. :(

Oh hey, my case fits the 7. Blocks the flash I think but who cares lol. Stop gap for the moment.

gonna take some time to get used to this home button.

Took a day to get used to the home button. Turning on the "rest finger to open" on is so damn nice. Just rest my thumb on the button as I lift the phone, and it unlocks and gets to what I want almost instantly. It sounds silly, but that minor convenience without having to press anything is so great.

Mine shipped! Verizon, original estimate Oct. 12... Now I'll have used a Windows Phone, Android, and an iPhone!

Next up: That new Blackberry!

Dear T-Mobile,

The estimated ship date is 9/19 to 9/26. Where's my 7 Plus Jet Black? :(

Same here. Same range too. :(

Probably shipping at 11:59:59 p.m. on 9/26 Hawaii Time lol.

Took a day to get used to the home button. Turning on the "rest finger to open" on is so damn nice. Just rest my thumb on the button as I lift the phone, and it unlocks and gets to what I want almost instantly. It sounds silly, but that minor convenience without having to press anything is so great.

That's an iOS10 feature, not a 7 feature, but it is spectacular.

Woah. What? Game changer. Didn't know this was a feature.

FStop7

Banned
Got my 7 plus today. The backup and restore from my 6 took a while but no problems. The 7 plus is a really nice improvement. Big difference in speed and the haptic stuff is awesome. The home button feels real, very mechanical and solid.

Top Bottom