• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

my 7+ 128gb matte black finally shipped from AT&T. ordered on launch day at 3:47am. was frustrating to see people who ordered like 6-9 hours after get their phones already but what can u do. they did hit the estimated ship date of 9/23-9/30.

Moreche

Just got my black 7 plus but coming from a 6S, it just feels to big.
I did have a One Plus 3 also and it was fine but I just don't think the 7 design lend itself to the bigger phone.
I don't know whether to stay on 7 plus or exchange for a 7.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the thinnest iPhone 7 case out there with a lip/bumper so I can put it face down on surfaces?

Saw a few recommendations in this thread for the Peel case but it seems pretty useless as far as actual protection goes (the only video review on YT I found had the phone fall and crack the screen lmao).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's the thinnest iPhone 7 case out there with a lip/bumper so I can put it face down on surfaces?

Saw a few recommendations in this thread for the Peel case but it seems pretty useless as far as actual protection goes (the only video review on YT I found had the phone fall and crack the screen lmao).

I use a peel and a Luvvit clear slim case. Try the Luvvit. It's up on amazon. Has a lip and a bit more cushion.

I just switched back to the TouchID unlocks for my iPhone 6. My issue with the pressing is I never knew when I did it right so sometimes I would double press and it would unlock the phone and then back out of the app I was using. :|

Servbot24

Banned
I just switched back to the TouchID unlocks for my iPhone 6. My issue with the pressing is I never knew when I did it right so sometimes I would double press and it would unlock the phone and then back out of the app I was using. :|

You shouldn't need to press anything to unlock though, just setting your finger on the button is enough.

Crazyorloco

Was anyone with a iPhone 7 plus able to get in the public beta? I wanted to see how the portrait mode update is.

The beta sign up site is down for me.

NYR

NYR

I did have a One Plus 3 also and it was fine but I just don't think the 7 design lend itself to the bigger phone.
Stick it out, you're simply not used to it, its like buying a car that is 5 inches longer than the one you drove for years and having issues with parking perfectly. You'll get used to it and the big screen is epic for pretty much everything.

sangreal

Consider the apple leather case. It's got a lip and it offers decent protection. I'm a clutz and my 6+ leather case had gouges and damage all over but the phone is pristine

NYR

Is this an iPhone 6s and 7 feature? I don't see an option to even turn it on with my 6plus.
It's only for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE.

You need the M9 motion co-processor to get it to work. Having it on older phones would kill the battery due to inaccuracy on when the phone was actually be raised and the fact the motion processor wasn't always on like it is with the M9.

X-Frame

Is Jet Black more "grippy" compared to the other colors?

I'd like to use my iPhone case-less but I can't with the slippery and hell material the other colors use. I don't care about scratches or micro-abrasions, just that it's going to fall out of my hand easier.

sangreal

Happy to see LR updated so there is at least one app that lets you use telephoto lens indoors. Surprised other 3rd party camera apps like camera+ and ProCamera are being so slow to update with 7+ support

NYR

Is Jet Black more "grippy" compared to the other colors?

I'd like to use my iPhone case-less but I can't with the slippery and hell material the other colors use. I don't care about scratches or micro-abrasions, just that it's going to fall out of my hand easier.
Yes. It is more grippy. If you plan on going caseless and are willing to wait until November for a Jet Black, get AppleCare.

http://daringfireball.net/2016/09/iphone_7_jet_black_vs_black
The single most frequent question I’ve been asked since the event is whether the jet black iPhone is slippery. It’s not. Again, much like the old 3G and 3GS iPhones, the glossy rear surface has a very pleasant tackiness — certainly not sticky, but grippy. Based on my (admittedly limited) time in the hands-on area, I’d call it the least slippery iPhone Apple has ever made.

KingKong

For anyone who has the apple leather case, is it a little bent where the volume buttons are? like it goes straight from the bottom and when it gets to the volume its slanted a little bit then goes back straight

I've looked up some unboxing videos and see the same thing so I don't know if it's a defect

MYhsEIz.png

X-Frame

Yes. It is more grippy. If you plan on going caseless and are willing to wait until November for a Jet Black, get AppleCare.

http://daringfireball.net/2016/09/iphone_7_jet_black_vs_black
The single most frequent question I’ve been asked since the event is whether the jet black iPhone is slippery. It’s not. Again, much like the old 3G and 3GS iPhones, the glossy rear surface has a very pleasant tackiness — certainly not sticky, but grippy. Based on my (admittedly limited) time in the hands-on area, I’d call it the least slippery iPhone Apple has ever made.

Perfect, thank you!

Keep it. I have a 6S+ and could never go back. In 2-3 days you'll be used to it and it will just look normal. Other people's phones will look small and wrong.

robotrock

Banned
For anyone who has the apple leather case, is it a little bent where the volume buttons are? like it goes straight from the bottom and when it gets to the volume its slanted a little bit then goes back straight

I've looked up some unboxing videos and see the same thing so I don't know if it's a defect

MYhsEIz.png

Looking at my Apple leather case right now.

Yes, it's got the same thing. It's the hole for the ring/silent switch.

MYhsEIz.png

Is yours straight at the bottom? Mine appears crooked. Still Iike the case but I'm thinking silicone is gonna be my daily again.

DOWN

Banned

MYhsEIz.png
Yes, but that's just due to the nature of leather and how thin it has to be applied to the case. To stretch and fit and press the leather flatly and firmly onto the base plastic case it is wrapped over, there a lot of force and thus ends up with a little distortion. The spot where the buttons are requires more pulling the leather into the curves and such, so it's more distorted from the clamping of the leather onto those cutouts.

Frankly it's so subtle I'm surprised anyone would care about that

Moreche

Keep it. I have a 6S+ and could never go back. In 2-3 days you'll be used to it and it will just look normal. Other people's phones will look small and wrong.
I'm trying to like it but it just to cumbersome to hold and carry.
I'm going to return it for a refund tomorrow and give myself an iPhone and iOS break for a while. I guess trying the plus today made me realise that as much as I prefer the size of the 7, it shouldn't have all of the compromises that the plus has. No double camera, low resolution screen, very small battery.
I just look at the 7 plus and it looks and feels wrong.

Top Bottom