• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Mobius 1

I am already used to the 7 Plus size and my boyfriend's sick looks so small to me now lol

SlWZwOZ.gif

This has to be the best typo I've seen around here in ages.

Ok, so...I bought one of the Spigen liquid crystal cases for the Jet Black phone. Will it still look good in that case? Also, are all these reports of scratches on jet black being a little embellished?

Why is the jet black iPhone so gorgeous. It's probably up there or close with the iPhone 4 as the sexiest phone ever made

It feels good too, but I couldn't deal with the fingerprints or scratches, especially after seeing YouTube videos showing how normal use causes them. Matte black is still itching the black iPhone need for me.

Moreche

I really, really want to return my 7 Plus and get the 7 because of the size but every time I pickup my wife's 6, I'm totally spoiled by the screen resolution and that the plus shows more without having to scroll and zoom.
That lower resolution screen really shows itself after using the plus. Why couldn't Apple have just brought out one phone that's similar to the Galaxy S7 in screen and hardware size?

DOWN

Banned
RIP people who use jet black caseless and live with scratches and rip people who use it with a clear case and get a plastic bubble hell and rip people use a case that isn't clear because you can't see the jet black underneath anyway

Am I the only one that likes Space Grey? I'd have a silver iPhone with a black front if they made one.

I always liked the original black iPhone 5 the best and then they transitioned to space gray which wasn't quite as slick. I think it should still be offered (three colors each for white/black fronts then) but I don't think I'd buy it.

NYR

Am I the only one that likes Space Grey? I'd have a silver iPhone with a black front if they made one.
Yes. Space grey was a cop out. Apple couldn't figure out black and messed up the iPhone 5. That is the only reason they went with boring space grey.

DOWN

Banned
It was ok but always worse than the black iPhone 5 and now 7

It basically looked like an attempt to hide that they couldnt figure out scratches and balck

Guess Who

Banned
It was ok but always worse than the black iPhone 5 and now 7

It basically looked like an attempt to hide that they counsels figure out scratches and balck

I honestly don't think it was worse on the 5S. To me, the most distinctive feature of the 5 and 5S design was the polished edges, which were always much duller on the slate model and didn't catch light like the other finishes did, including space grey. I had a slate iPhone 5, iPod touch, and iPad mini, and I think all of those looked better in space grey.

On the 7, though, I think the black does probably work better than space grey, primarily because it almost totally hides the antenna lines.

(Incidentally, I also think the gold finish only ever looked good on the 5S, also because of the edges. The shiny chamfers made it sparkle in the light almost like jewelry. The gold 6s and 7s just look tacky and flat.)

Chittagong

Gold Member

Yeah black front with silver back is the best iPhone, like the original iPhone and iPad. I can't believe the new lineup completely dropped the combo.

Deku Tree

Otterbox refuses to tell me when my case is gonna ship. When I ordered the web page said Sept. 30. Now it says November on the web page for new orders. But no where on my order page does it say when my order is expected to ship and the people on the phone just say "rely on what it said on the web page when you ordered" but they can't say anything about any updated expected ship date. Frustrating.

Aiii

So not worth it
I remember getting my first iPod Touch, half a year before the first iPhone was released here (the 3G, since the 2G never made it). I think I had it 2 hours before I checked the back to find it covered in a ton of scratches.

I cursed Apple a lot that day, and to this day don't understand why you would release a device that is made to be put on desks and other table-like surfaces all the time, that susceptible to scratching. And here's Jony, almost a decade later, doing it all over again. Looks over function is just, blegh.

Instead of selling the removal of the headphone jack on "courage" they should have just said that if you don't attach your headphones with a cable, you're less likely to drag the iPhone around a surface when listening to music and thus making it less likely you'll scratch the beautiful piano black back of the phone.

As for the colors, I like my devices in white, Ever since my 3G, I've gotten my devices in white (I was very happy when they started making the front white as well). The only exception being the original iPad and later the iPad 3, because that was literally the only version that was in the store at the time and I didn't want to wait for new stock at the time.

iCloud Drive is amazing.

Apple needs to give up and finally allow exporting and importing of media files from the Music/Videos, etc. apps to and from iCloud Drive/Dropbox etc., and then the OS would be perfect.

I also wish the native Camera app had RAW support. I don't want to use Manual, etc.

Retroid

Went to the Apple Store today to see if I could swap my phone out as one of the volume buttons was pressed in on one side always. Had no troubles, was in and out pretty quickly too!

Oddly, when I restored my phone back to the iCloud backup it also installed GarageBand, iMovie, iTunes U, Keynote, Numbers and Pages which I didn't have installed/purchased. Not sure why that happened.

robotrock

Banned
Went to the Apple Store today to see if I could swap my phone out as one of the volume buttons was pressed in on one side always. Had no troubles, was in and out pretty quickly too!

Oddly, when I restored my phone back to the iCloud backup it also installed GarageBand, iMovie, iTunes U, Keynote, Numbers and Pages which I didn't have installed/purchased. Not sure why that happened.

My iPhone 7 had those too when I first booted it up. Once I did a reformat they were gone.

Two Words

When will people learn that glossy finishes are a marketing lie. They always look amazing in marketing photos and original condition. That condition simply won't last and you'll hate how it looks after all of the scratching and fingerprint smudges. Go matte.

When will people learn that glossy finishes are a marketing lie. They always look amazing in marketing photos and original condition. That condition simply won't last and you'll hate how it looks after all of the scratching and fingerprint smudges. Go matte.
Remember that person ITT a few days after launch like "nah my phone is fine" and then like yesterday they were like "it's awful now"

Rest in pepperonis

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright, I've officially been using my iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black for two full days. This is the 128GB model on AT&T - and for anyone who is waiting as anxiously as they can, trust me when I say this: it'll be worth the wait.

29277451034_6fdf3202e8_b.jpg

29277451564_5994c39f33_b.jpg

Seriously - as soon as I took the glossy-finished phone out of the box, I knew I had made the right choice. Sure, matte black still looks great - I have a couple friends with matte black "regular" 7 phones, and I have to admit they look very sharp, and the color is a massive jump up from the progressively duller "Space Gray" we've been getting the last few years.

But it just doesn't compare to Jet Black. Period. I haven't been a fan of the Plus design since its inception - huge bezels, crazy chin, ugly antenna lines, and that camera bump made for a phone that just wasn't up to the same standard as the industry-shaking 4 or the sublime 5. The truth is, a lot of the flaws in regard to size are still there - and no doubt, with the Note 7, Samsung is finally right there - neck and neck - with Apple's phone design. But man, this color just pushes it over the edge. I mean, it feels so.damn.nice and looks so.damn.sleek in hand. You guys are going to be blown away.

Yep, it's gonna scratch like a motherfucker. And yes, the fingerprints that cover this just won't disappear unless you intentionally clean it after every use. For many, this color will make no sense. And for those it does interest, many of those will still use a case. But for those crazy people who want to use this case-less, and know what they're getting into, I think they'll be pleased.

The Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a 707 horsepower car that costs $60,000, has terrible traction, is heavy, is long, has no aerodynamics, can't turn, and is hard to drive. And one of my favorite reviews stated something along the lines of this: "Most anyone will call you a dumbass for buying a Hellcat - saying it's stupid and you clearly don't know anything. The truth is, anyone buying a Hellcat knows EXACTLY what they're getting."

DOWN

Banned

Remember that person ITT a few days after launch like "nah my phone is fine" and then like yesterday they were like "it's awful now"

Rest in pepperonis
Laughed too hard at that

He went from "jet black is great and you guys are acting like it scratches just by looking at it" to "I need to return this because it is gonna scratch" in like 2 days

Alright, I've officially been using my iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black for two full days. This is the 128GB model on AT&T - and for anyone who is waiting as anxiously as they can, trust me when I say this: it'll be worth the wait.

29277451034_6fdf3202e8_b.jpg

29277451564_5994c39f33_b.jpg

Seriously - as soon as I took the glossy-finished phone out of the box, I knew I had made the right choice. Sure, matte black still looks great - I have a couple friends with matte black "regular" 7 phones, and I have to admit they look very sharp, and the color is a massive jump up from the progressively duller "Space Gray" we've been getting the last few years.

But it just doesn't compare to Jet Black. Period. I haven't been a fan of the Plus design since its inception - huge bezels, crazy chin, ugly antenna lines, and that camera bump made for a phone that just wasn't up to the same standard as the industry-shaking 4 or the sublime 5. The truth is, a lot of the flaws in regard to size are still there - and no doubt, with the Note 7, Samsung is finally right there - neck and neck - with Apple's phone design. But man, this color just pushes it over the edge. I mean, it feels so.damn.nice and looks so.damn.sleek in hand. You guys are going to be blown away.

Yep, it's gonna scratch like a motherfucker. And yes, the fingerprints that cover this just won't disappear unless you intentionally clean it after every use. For many, this color will make no sense. And for those it does interest, many of those will still use a case. But for those crazy people who want to use this case-less, and know what they're getting into, I think they'll be pleased.

The Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a 707 horsepower car that costs $60,000, has terrible traction, is heavy, is long, has no aerodynamics, can't turn, and is hard to drive. And one of my favorite reviews stated something along the lines of this: "Most anyone will call you a dumbass for buying a Hellcat - saying it's stupid and you clearly don't know anything. The truth is, anyone buying a Hellcat knows EXACTLY what they're getting."

Is that the Apple milanese loop for the watch?

Top Bottom