• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Future

I was about to order this thing online and chickened out last minute. It's a lot of money to spend considering I know I'll want the update next year and my 6 plus is running iOS 10 just fine. Some random Qs for owners out there:

- I currently connect my 6 plus to my car aux port and charge at the same time every day during a long commute. How are you adapting to this? Those Bluetooth aux care buttons working well for you? Sound quality the same?

- I am very sensitive to whines and hisses from electronics. Are you hearing it on your phones?

- is the performance jump from the 6 plus that noticeable? I swear my phone doesn't feel laggy at all and I know people compare this to iPad 3 as being underpowered. Maybe I'm just used to it? Anything new you are doing with that performance that you couldn't before?

I'm considering just nabbing the series 2 watch but I'm itching to update this phone

Animator

Honestly if you have a 6s I don't see why you would upgrade to 7. I had a substantial performance boost from 6 thats why I upgraded. I think the best way to do it is to upgrade every other release.

Honestly if you have a 6s I don't see why you would upgrade to 7. I had a substantial performance boost from 6 thats why I upgraded. I think the best way to do it is to upgrade every other release.
Where I am. Seeing an immediate speed boost over my old 6, and don't plan to upgrade until the 8s, or whatever the phone coming in two years is.

TheZink

I was about to order this thing online and chickened out last minute. It's a lot of money to spend considering I know I'll want the update next year and my 6 plus is running iOS 10 just fine. Some random Qs for owners out there:

- I currently connect my 6 plus to my car aux port and charge at the same time every day during a long commute. How are you adapting to this? Those Bluetooth aux care buttons working well for you? Sound quality the same?

- I am very sensitive to whines and hisses from electronics. Are you hearing it on your phones?

- is the performance jump from the 6 plus that noticeable? I swear my phone doesn't feel laggy at all and I know people compare this to iPad 3 as being underpowered. Maybe I'm just used to it? Anything new you are doing with that performance that you couldn't before?

I'm considering just nabbing the series 2 watch but I'm itching to update this phone
I'm returning my 7 plus because of the noise. Besides hearing it hiss and buzz normally I hear it during phone calls and though Bluetooth in my car. I paid way too much to deal with faulty hardware. I'm going back to the 6s plus and may try again in a few months to see if they fix these issues.

- is the performance jump from the 6 plus that noticeable? I swear my phone doesn't feel laggy at all and I know people compare this to iPad 3 as being underpowered. Maybe I'm just used to it? Anything new you are doing with that performance that you couldn't before.
I have heard a lot of 6 users thought the performance was worth the upgrade. It would be a good idea to see how it performs in person.

Yes, the hiss is a thing, but I have to go out of my way to hear it. I have to hold the phone backwards to my ear in a completely silent room to hear it. Even then, it is a faint sound.

Future

I'm returning my 7 plus because of the noise. Besides hearing it hiss and buzz normally I hear it during phone calls and though Bluetooth in my car. I paid way too much to deal with faulty hardware. I'm going back to the 6s plus and may try again in a few months to see if they fix these issues.

I have heard a lot of 6 users thought the performance was worth the upgrade. It would be a good idea to see how it performs in person.

Yes, the hiss is a thing, but I have to go out of my way to hear it. I have to hold the phone backwards to my ear in a completely silent room to hear it. Even then, it is a faint sound.

Thanks. I was afraid of this. Looks like I will hold off for awhile and just get the watch

samn

Thanks. I was afraid of this. Looks like I will hold off for awhile and just get the watch

Well I can hear the same thing with my 5s in a silent room with my ear held to the back... so I'm not sure you'll ever be able to buy a phone again.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
On the verge of upgrading from a 6S to either a 7 or 7 Plus, convince me otherwise GAF.

I mainly game on my phone alongside work stuff so battery and performance is key.

Jimrpg

I am very happy with the iPhone 6. Its still really fast under both iOS9 + iOS10. I could do with more ram but aside from that everything else is really great. I don't really use it for much other than messaging, camera, twitter, GAF and podcasts.

Of course if you have a 24 month contract and get the phone for free or substantial discount, I don't see why not, but to buy it outright, I'm pretty sure I could hold out for another year definitely and maybe two.

When I had my 4s, it was a bit long in the tooth by year 2, iPhone 6 still feels great after 2 years.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I upgraded from a 6s to a 7 plus mostly for the camera, but overall the 7 plus does feel noticeably faster than my old phone, and the battery life is a huge improvement. But if I weren't on the Apple upgrade program I would have waited for next year's phone.

No hiss here.

Ninja Dom

I am very happy with the iPhone 6. Its still really fast under both iOS9 + iOS10. I could do with more ram but aside from that everything else is really great. I don't really use it for much other than messaging, camera, twitter, GAF and podcasts.

Of course if you have a 24 month contract and get the phone for free or substantial discount, I don't see why not, but to buy it outright, I'm pretty sure I could hold out for another year definitely and maybe two.

When I had my 4s, it was a bit long in the tooth by year 2, iPhone 6 still feels great after 2 years.

What adds a bit of longevity to the original 6 is that it's still the same design as the 6S and the 7. So looking at it the 6 doesn't immediately look outdated. With the 4 and 4S they looked completely outdated by the time the 6 came out.

j-wood

I'm hitting an issue that is really annoying.

I'm trying to create the free icloud email. Everytime I do it on the phone, I just get a message "error turning on mail, try again later"

How the hell do I fix this? Can I not do it online somewhere?

Anyone have a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite Xl Wireless headphones w/ their iphone 7? Do you get nearly constantly bluetooth audio skipping and popping?

Guess Who

Banned
If you're on a 6, yeah, the speed bump on the 7 (along with all the other improvements - 3D Touch is so much more useful in iOS 10) makes it a worthwhile upgrade. If you're on a 6S there's no real hurry, though.

Crazyorloco

Portrait mode is a Game changer for me. I officially like the Iphone 7 plus camera better than the galaxy S7/Note phones.

I've been playing around with the portrait mode on the Iphone 7 plus and I love it. I really feel like i'm carrying around a DSLR.
Pic I took this morning:

IMG_0420.jpg

Future

I upgraded from a 6s to a 7 plus mostly for the camera, but overall the 7 plus does feel noticeably faster than my old phone, and the battery life is a huge improvement. But if I weren't on the Apple upgrade program I would have waited for next year's phone.

No hiss here.

The hiss thing would be the deal breaker for me. I just use the phone too much to be annoyed by a sound like that. Nice to see you don't hear it. I'll probably head to an Apple Store tomorrow and see if I can manage to hear anything with the display phones

Assault

Portrait mode is a Game changer for me. I officially like the Iphone 7 plus camera better than the galaxy S7/Note phones.

I've been playing around with the portrait mode on the Iphone 7 plus and I love it. I really feel like i'm carrying around a DSLR.
Pic I took this morning:

Damn, that blur effects looks great. I picked up a regular 7 (my friend has a 6S+ and it's just way too big for me) but I sure am jelly of that dual camera setup.

Crazyorloco

Damn, that blur effects looks great. I picked up a regular 7 (my friend has a 6S+ and it's just way too big for me) but I sure am jelly of that dual camera setup.

Thanks. The regular pics come out pretty good too here's one I took without the blur. I think it came out pretty good. So those with the regular 7 will be fine. I would have bought the regular 7 if it had the other camera. I love how the regular 7 feels in my hand.

I do think those interested in photography should get the plus.

from my flickr:
The high line #iphone7plus by https://www.flickr.com/photos/125112742@N07/, crazyorloco on Flickr

Man the Portrait Mode blur looks so bad... I hope they can make it look more like proper bokeh and less like low rent photoshop blur before release. It's probably too much to ask for given the limitations of aperture size in a "zoom" lens on a tiny phone camera, and the actual processing behind it is very impressive. It just....looks like a crummy photoshop effect at the end of the day.

DOWN

Banned
Man the Portrait Mode blur looks so bad... I hope they can make it look more like proper bokeh and less like low rent photoshop blur before release. It's probably too much to ask for given the limitations of aperture size in a "zoom" lens on a tiny phone camera, and the actual processing behind it is very impressive. It just....looks like a crummy photoshop effect at the end of the day.
Nah there's plenty of ways to frame it so that it passes the test
http://www.cnet.com/pictures/iphone-7-plus-portrait-mode-in-pictures/7/

There's plenty of ways to take pics with that mode that don't giveaway that it's a digital Effect without inspecting the pic

gcubed

so there is a local apple store with stock of the phone i want but i can't reserve online because i'm not a customer of any major carrier.

If i want to switch my provider to a verizon contract from a prepaid provider can i do it in store (just cross my fingers the phone is still in stock when i get there?)

Animator

Noticed today's iOS update fixed the headphones controls not working when phone is asleep for five minutes problem a gaffer reported in this thread earlier.

Matte Black Plus 128 showed up around lunch time, finally getting a chance to mess around with it. I love that apple made the 64GB tier phone 128GB now. I have a ton of space on my phone now lol. The screen seems to be a bit warm compared to my 6, but I'm glad Im back on the big screen. ios10 flys on this damn thing jesus..

Matte Black Plus 128 showed up around lunch time, finally getting a chance to mess around with it. I love that apple made the 64GB tier phone 128GB now. I have a ton of space on my phone now lol. The screen seems to be a bit warm compared to my 6, but I'm glad Im back on the big screen. ios10 flys on this damn thing jesus..

Welcome back to god tier 0ptimus, should be standard issue for us Steeler fans
while we mourn the Eagles game

Top Bottom