• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

May be a bit OT, but since this thread is active I'll ask here.

I met a guy while shopping last night. He asked me about a job opportunity that I may be interested. He called me today, and I missed it. I call back but went to voicemail. His voicemail number was different than his actual number. Do people do that if they lose their phones or something? He def has an iPhone.

Thanks

There's a lot of info here that leads to red flags, but what exactly did he say the job opportunity was? If he talked about it vaguely, I wouldn't know if I could trust him. Also, was he the one who sparked up the conversation, or was it you? The phone thing is also bizarre. Couldn't hurt to call back and see what it's about, though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm super scared of iCloud Photo Library because because I know that if I delete a photo on my iPhone it will be deleted everywhere else, and I don't want that, I want all the pictures in my computer, even the shitty ones. That's the only backup I can trust

There is a "Recently Deleted" album folder.

still watching istocknow like a hawk

don't want to wait til mid october for my rose gold 7+ 128gb ;_;

seems to be a real shortage of 7+s in the uk tho.

There's a lot of info here that leads to red flags, but what exactly did he say the job opportunity was? If he talked about it vaguely, I wouldn't know if I could trust him. Also, was he the one who sparked up the conversation, or was it you? The phone thing is also bizarre. Couldn't hurt to call back and see what it's about, though.

Oh no he's legit. Great company. I googled him and the company. Everything checks out.

I always thought your VM number was the same as your cell number. Am I wrong?

Oh no he's legit. Great company. I googled him and the company. Everything checks out.

I always thought your VM number was the same as your cell number. Am I wrong?

Oh then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Voicemail should match the number, but maybe he used his work phone instead? There are a couple variables to that. Best bet would be to just call him back.

He called me today, and I missed it. I call back but went to voicemail. His voicemail number was different than his actual number. Do people do that if they lose their phones or something? He def has an iPhone.

How could you tell that the VM number was different than the number you called back? Maybe he's using Google Voice to route to different numbers?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm super scared of iCloud Photo Library because because I know that if I delete a photo on my iPhone it will be deleted everywhere else, and I don't want that, I want all the pictures in my computer, even the shitty ones. That's the only backup I can trust

Have iCloud Photo Library for convenient access to your photos.

Also have something like OneDrive, Dropbox or google photos installed which will do a more simple backup of your camera roll to the cloud

Maybe I was blocked? Could that explain the VM number is different than his actual cell? I heard if someone blocked you and call you it it rings once and goes straight to VM than you're blocked. But it rang a lot and went to VM.

VM mentioned his number but different from his cell

Here's another phone question: why is it 2016 and we still don't have Caller ID on smartphones? In the old days a landline would display "Joe's Automotive" when someone called, but now all we get is 555-123-4567.

If this is a carrier thing, why can't Apple just use its databases of business and residential listings to provide the name of the person or business?

Strakt

Ordered a glossy back skin for my Jet Black iphone 7 plus from BestSkinsEver...they sent me a matte one instead by accident.

Guess my new jet black iphone is going to be matte black until they send me a new one.

samn

Here's another phone question: why is it 2016 and we still don't have Caller ID on smartphones? In the old days a landline would display "Joe's Automotive" when someone called, but now all we get is 555-123-4567.

If this is a carrier thing, why can't Apple just use its databases of business and residential listings to provide the name of the person or business?

because its database sucks

Vyer

I wouldn't imagine the database thing is quite that simple.
But yeah, it's a carrier thing. IIRC T-mobile for example has that as an add on service.

RBH

Any recommendations for an iPhone 7 case?

Looking for something that leans more toward slimness rather than protection (i.e. No thanks to something like an Otterbox).

How is the leather case from Apple?

jcutner

Looking for something that leans more toward slimness rather than protection (i.e. No thanks to something like an Otterbox).

Leather case is fantastic! Coming from a Silicone case on my iPhone 6, to a leather on my 7 Plus.

Hustler

still watching istocknow like a hawk

don't want to wait til mid october for my rose gold 7+ 128gb ;_;

seems to be a real shortage of 7+s in the uk tho.

I have been doing this as well. Saw a black 7 plus 256gb in stock today at the apple store, but it was for verizon instead of AT&T. Apple rep over the phone said they wouldn't sell me the phone unless I was a verizon customer. Strange thing is, I read Verizon/Sprint Iphone 7 pluses have both GSM and CDA technology....which means it would work for AT&T too. So why can't they sell me the phone?

I have been doing this as well. Saw a black 7 plus 256gb in stock today at the apple store, but it was for verizon instead of AT&T. Apple rep over the phone said they wouldn't sell me the phone unless I was a verizon customer. Strange thing is, I read Verizon/Sprint Iphone 7 pluses have both GSM and CDA technology....which means it would work for AT&T too. So why can't they sell me the phone?
must be a stock allocation thing, like a partner deal or something. Irritating af tho :/

I got my phone the other day and I love it so far. I'm amazed at how responsive it is. I forgot to charge it last night so for the first time ever I ran into a situation where I want to charge and listen to music.

Now, if only the person who bought my iPhone 6 would pay!

Apple leather and silicone cases are what I'm using right now. Silicone for days where I have class and walk across campus because I like the extra grip when using it, leather on the days I'm only at the office and weekends for the ease of slipping it in and out of pockets and the aluminum buttons. Can't go wrong with either, but I still find the leather case to be a tad more slippery than I would like.

Apple leather and silicone cases are what I'm using right now. Silicone for days where I have class and walk across campus because I like the extra grip when using it, leather on the days I'm only at the office and weekends for the ease of slipping it in and out of pockets and the aluminum buttons. Can't go wrong with either, but I still find the leather case to be a tad more slippery than I would like.

Yeah leather case is too slippery. It makes handling the 7P harder if you have smallish hands.

Miggytronz

So I have a question. Currently with Sprint on an unlimited data family plan. I have a iPhone 6. So if I go trade this in for a iPhone 7. I sign a 2 year lease agreement but keep my plan. But with my trade in I pay nothing out of pocket? Help me GAF.

TMobile lost my boyfriend's order in their system yikes

My wife and I had an issue from them too. We were supposed to receive two iPhone 7 Plus models on 9/19. We had a tracking number that listed both phones as the contents of the package. When I opened the box, there was only one phone. The package was not tampered with so they either forgot to include one or stole it before packing. Now we have to wait until the middle of October for another one.

Can I restore a 10.0.1 backup to a 10.0.2 phone? I just realized that my new ipihone is going to ship with 10.0.0 so that means I have to update it before I restore :(

which provider?

Sprint.

Also picked up a Evo Check case today, because I just sadly can't trust myself to live the caseless life. It feels just as good as my last Tech 21 case.

Can't wait to pick up this phone tomorrow at the UPS Store. Just hoping I can get used to the size increase.

Triz

Mine arrived today. Applebros: Tried to iCloud backup restore during setup and iOS 10.0.2 hit at same time. It installed the patch but did not do the iCloud restore. How do I initialize that out of setup option? I had the option to back up from a last night restore when I hit yes.

Can I restore a 10.0.1 backup to a 10.0.2 phone? I just realized that my new ipihone is going to ship with 10.0.0 so that means I have to update it before I restore :(

In my experience it will ask you to upgrade during the phone setup process. But if you do that, it upgrades the phone and doesn't actually finish the restore. So if you want to be thorough you should upgrade, erase, and restore.

I think it's possible to restore without the upgrade (since it's not like 9-10) but didn't try it.

Hustler

So I have a question. Currently with Sprint on an unlimited data family plan. I have a iPhone 6. So if I go trade this in for a iPhone 7. I sign a 2 year lease agreement but keep my plan. But with my trade in I pay nothing out of pocket? Help me GAF.

Yes, if it's the base model 32 GB. more storage = pay tge difference over your contract period. Essentially you're getting a $650 credit for your trade in.

Rambaldi

Any AT&T customers have experience with them giving you a shipping estimate but actually having it arrive early? I don't remember what happened when I ordered my 6 Plus (life was chaotic at the time) so I was wondering if this was even a slight possibility.

Blackhead

Redarse

Google's Dialer does this on Android

Google's Dialer does this on Android

Well props to Google then. This should be a standard feature of any smartphone, otherwise it's not a very smart phone. I don't see any technical limitation preventing Apple from implementing this. They have enough datasets for Maps at this point to at least be able to supply business names.

derder

The Google dialer also puts an image on the call from Google maps. I didn't realize this was a missing feature... can I say Siri call McDonald's on 13th avenue?

Hustler

Any AT&T customers have experience with them giving you a shipping estimate but actually having it arrive early? I don't remember what happened when I ordered my 6 Plus (life was chaotic at the time) so I was wondering if this was even a slight possibility.

My original ship date through AT&T was Oct 14-21. Received a notification today the phone is in Memphis TN, so I expect to receive it by Thursday at the latest.

Malo

Banned
I'm in an unlimited data family plan with Sprint as well (everything data) and was able to keep my current plan. I traded in my 6 and got $650 credit. I had to pay $100 since I opted for the iPhone 7 128gb, no upgrade fee though.

I have a mint condition 6+, 128GB/gold/unlocked. What can I get for it, realistically? What's the best way to sell it? My previous 6+ died a month ago and this replacement cost $360; I'd like to recoup [some / most of ] that now that I have my 7.

Animator

Welcome to revolution brother! The peek and pop is great. I use it all the time on Gaf. I still wish they called it Force Touch though.

Yea honestly I thought it was a gimmick feature when I first heard about it but it is becoming my favourite iPhone feature fast.

By does anyone else's 7+ run really warm to the touch? Wondering if it's because I just did a iCloud restore?

Mine came in early. Est OCt 7-14. Got it last Friday. The 6+ I ordered when it announced came early too.

Top Bottom