• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone in Canada/GTA order straight from Apple? What are shipping speeds like here, or what can I expect if I order one today?

Strakt

This is Jet Black with a matte skin on the back ( BSE sent me matte instead of glossy by accident...) Still need to get rid of a few bubbles.

wZtNMRj.jpg

Well my leather case still hasn't shipped so I guess the sept 28th to oct 5th date is going to be closeser to the 5th.

Don't be so sure. I got an email that my leather case shipped in the evening and it was scheduled for delivery (and arrived) the next day.

Can I restore a 10.0.1 backup to a 10.0.2 phone? I just realized that my new ipihone is going to ship with 10.0.0 so that means I have to update it before I restore :(

You could always restore a backup from an older version of iOS to a phone with the newer OS.

The thing you can't do is restore a backup with a newer OS version to a phone with an older firmware (probably because some features are incompatible). The situation comes up when folks try out a beta, you're asked to make a backup of the current phone before upgrading to a newer version so you can use that older backup to roll back to if need be.

Strakt

Why did you put it on instead of exchanging it for what you asked for?

1) Didnt realize it was matte until it was actually in my hands wet since theres no box; it comes in a envelope. (was in a rush this morning)

2) They'll be sending the correct one regardless.

3) Temporary skin so I can continue using the phone caseless :)

Does anyone know why or how I can get around Itunes god awful metadata parsing?

I've checked everything possible, but Louis Armstrong (among others) simply will not condense into one artist. Capitalization, punctuation, nothing matters what I change in Metadata to get them to sort correctly. I'm dumbfounded by this. Even songs within the same album are separated into different artists.

Rambaldi

I've checked everything possible, but Louis Armstrong (among others) simply will not condense into one artist. Capitalization, punctuation, nothing matters what I change in Metadata to get them to sort correctly. I'm dumbfounded by this. Even songs within the same album are separated into different artists.

I hate when this happens. The only way I can correct it is by deleting the tags of every song and just rendering them manually then rebooting iTunes. YMMV but it works for me.

Right click on all of the songs in the album and make sure "album is a compilation of songs by various artists" is checked. It should group them together and then you can edit the metadata.

Otherwise, what Rambaldi said of deleting the tags and redoing each song manually is what I did and it fixed it for me.

Ecto311

7+ 128 flat black just shipped from att and i ordered on the 11th. Not sure the shipping speed but hope it is here tomorrow or thursday.

Anyone know if the sim is the same size in the 6+ to the 6+? I know they changed to the microsim at some point but not sure if they went even smaller.

Rambaldi

So when I went to AT&T the guy had me order my phone and I paid the $77 in tax. He said that the charge would stay on my card as "pending" until it shipped in a month. The charge was literally on my account earlier today but now it is gone. Vanished. However, because I'm a freak, I subtracted my available balance from my total credit and I still have the $77 worked into my total balance which makes me wonder if the charge went from pending to OH HEY I'M REAL tonight.

I've never seen a pending charge drop off from my Capital One card unless it changed to posted so now I've gone and made myself excited. My ship date is still listed as 10/21 and I don't know what time the AT&T servers update their status so I'm just refreshing like a madman.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm in love with this phone the way I haven't since the original 2G iPhone. Marvelous work of hardware and software, Apple.
Just out of curiosity can you explain why and what's the last iPhone/Phone you had? Because it seems to me like there's no reason to upgrade because there's almost nothing new, in fact I would say it seems like even less of an upgrade than last year.

Fliesen

Just out of curiosity can you explain why and what's the last iPhone/Phone you had? Because it seems to me like there's no reason to upgrade because there's almost nothing new, in fact I would say it seems like even less of an upgrade than last year.

to anyone who came from an iPhone 6 or below, 3D touch (if made use of) is pretty much the single biggest UX change.

Ninja Dom

The aesthetic beauty of the Jet Black. You just can't stop looking and admiring it.

Tobor

Picked up a 256GB Matte Black 7 Plus yesterday at the Apple Store.

Early thoughts:

1. Wow, this thing is big! I need to rework my holding and browsing habits. Love the larger keyboard in portrait mode. Love the screen. Fits fine in my jeans pocket.

2. Double Wow, the battery life on this thing! It's like carrying two iPhone 6's batteries inside one phone.

So I don’t know if this is a result of the two new background task/low power processors, the 3GB of RAM, iOS 10, or just my imagination, but does your iPhone 7 seem to be doing a lot more things in the background than your 6S? Like, I open my Outlook app and all my work e-mails are already downloaded. I suppose Outlook could have just been updated? Did Apple change any Background Refresh APIs with iOS 10 or the 7 Plus?

Servbot24

Banned

7 is a small upgrade but 6s was an awesome upgrade.

So I don’t know if this is a result of the two new background task/low power processors, the 3GB of RAM, iOS 10, or just my imagination, but does your iPhone 7 seem to be doing a lot more things in the background than your 6S? Like, I open my Outlook app and all my work e-mails are already downloaded. I suppose Outlook could have just been updated? Did Apple change any Background Refresh APIs with iOS 10 or the 7 Plus?

You should be able to control background email loading from your mail preferences, maybe they got reset.

kaskade

Don't be so sure. I got an email that my leather case shipped in the evening and it was scheduled for delivery (and arrived) the next day.

That would be awesome, my card was actually charged earlier (only pending right now though) and it's in the preparing for shipment stage. I'd just like it before the weekend. Wish I had a closer Apple Store, I would've just picked one up from there. I would've got it when I picked up the iPhone but I was all ready to go caseless until I realized how slippery it is.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Guys I have made it to day 13 without breaking down and getting an iPhone 7 - even my wife did get one (I have a SE, upgrade from my 6S Plus)... I think I'm in the clear now!!!

Guys I have made it to day 13 without breaking down and getting an iPhone 7 - even my wife did get one (I have a SE, upgrade from my 6S Plus)... I think I'm in the clear now!!!

Well I mean ... that SE is practically new. And if you went from a 5.5" to a 4" display, why would you want to increase the display size? Unless you hate the smaller screen?

Good job?

Been really impressed with the battery of the 7+. Used it loads during EGX to take and upload vids and shots via social media consistently over 4G and never had to recharge it throughout the day. The lowest I ever got was about 19%.

BearPawB

Banned
Well, my 7+ lightning port seemingly died.
Apple sending me a replacement phone.

The headphones still work, but i am getting no charge, and I tried countless adapters.
So it is getting enough connection to get audio, but not to transfer power?

The port is spotless with no lint or anything.

No idea what happened.

I must say, the water resistance made putting on a screen protector so much easier.

Little water spray and squeegee and no bubbles.

I like the new home button better than the old. Feels good.

Speed differences between my 7+ and my old 6 are pretty remarkable. Lots of little things that just happen instantaneously (it helps that I moved to 256GB from my nearly full 128GB - iOS starts getting weird and slow when there isn't much free space left because it sort of uses it as a scratchpad, IIRC).

However, 3D Touch definitely introduces some new artificially slow stuff - I changed the sensitivity to require the hardest pressing possible, but when I'm doing a long touch it still feels like the system is trying to figure out whether it's a 'touch' or a 'press' - that makes it slower to e.g. save images from Safari/Twitter, and makes it feel like the OS is hanging for a second or so whenever I try. Also, rearranging homescreen icons.

derder

I just got bumped to "Preparing for Shipment" I have next-day shipping. How long will it take to receive at this point?

tmdorsey

Speed differences between my 7+ and my old 6 are pretty remarkable. Lots of little things that just happen instantaneously (it helps that I moved to 256GB from my nearly full 128GB - iOS starts getting weird and slow when there isn't much free space left because it sort of uses it as a scratchpad, IIRC).

However, 3D Touch definitely introduces some new artificially slow stuff - I changed the sensitivity to require the hardest pressing possible, but when I'm doing a long touch it still feels like the system is trying to figure out whether it's a 'touch' or a 'press' - that makes it slower to e.g. save images from Safari/Twitter, and makes it feel like the OS is hanging for a second or so whenever I try. Also, rearranging homescreen icons.

What did you fill 128GB with?

Top Bottom