• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Sorry. AT&T trade in promotion. I was told that it appears as 265 because of how the promotion works but there isn't any mention of the 650 I'm supposed to get on the receipt.
Does it have any mention of something like "fall2016trade September iPhone trade" on it? It's supposed to show a value amount and then that amount is deducted like -$160 on mine and then on the bottom it shows that promotional code which means it is for the promotion. If it doesn't have that and just has the value amount they did it wrong and didn't click the promotion prompt when doing the trade-in.

tmdorsey

Might not be the appropriate thread but I'm gonna ask anyway. Since getting my 7+ I'm starting over as a new phone and doing a complete refresh of my apps. I want to know what folks recommend as the best weather app?

On my 6 I used Yahoo Weather and The Weather Channel. Looking for something different if there's something better out there. I also use Dark Sky, but mainly for notifications.

Is there a better option than the above? My priorities are good hourly and weekly forecast layouts and a really good radar map is a must. Money is not a big deal as I have some iTunes credit.

Having both the 7 and the 6 side to side, I noticed that the screen colors are warmer on the 7. Is that normal?
Yes. It is heavily reported that the 7 was made to be a warmer display. Whether the color is more accurate, however, is not something I can answer due to colorblindness.

So for the past couple weeks my phone had been in "processing" with an estimated arrival of Sept. 30 - Oct. 6 with next-day shipping. It finally flipped to "preparing for shipment" today and now my estimated arrival is Oct. 5 - Oct. 11. For those that have received their phones, did anything like this happen to you? Seems weird, and a little annoying, to have the date be pushed back a week.

Does it have any mention of something like "fall2016trade September iPhone trade" on it? It's supposed to show a value amount and then that amount is deducted like -$160 on mine and then on the bottom it shows that promotional code which means it is for the promotion. If it doesn't have that and just has the value amount they did it wrong and didn't click the promotion prompt when doing the trade-in.

It has some kind of prepurchase thing and -265. I don't remember any mention of the promotion. I'm guessing since it's -265 then that's it?

Second time this has happened to me with my 7 Plus: all physical buttons stop working. I can't turn the screen off, I can't return to home, I can't change the volume, I can't multitask. The app I'm in in this case still works, I can scroll and type and it's fully functional. I just can't change apps or turn the phone screen off at all. Last time I solved it with a hard reset, this time I decided to wait it out. I let the screen turn off naturally, the home button let the screen come back on and unlock, but it wouldn't progress beyond the lock screen. I used the control center to launch Overcast (it was the last thing I was playing through audio), and suddenly all my button pressed happened at once. Home presses, multitasking, volume switches, all came through on a multi-minute delay

It's working fine now. Clearly software related since it queued up all my actions, still weird

robotrock

Banned
Second time this has happened to me with my 7 Plus: all physical buttons stop working. I can't turn the screen off, I can't return to home, I can't change the volume, I can't multitask. The app I'm in in this case still works, I can scroll and type and it's fully functional. I just can't change apps or turn the phone screen off at all. Last time I solved it with a hard reset, this time I decided to wait it out. I let the screen turn off naturally, the home button let the screen come back on and unlock, but it wouldn't progress beyond the lock screen. I used the control center to launch Overcast (it was the last thing I was playing through audio), and suddenly all my button pressed happened at once. Home presses, multitasking, volume switches, all came through on a multi-minute delay

It's working fine now. Clearly software related since it queued up all my actions, still weird

It happened to me once on launch day. Never again. Super weird.

Are all iPhones bought from Apple unlocked? I bought a 6s from Apple last year and I've been using it on T-Mobile, but I'm unsure if I need to unlock it with them or if I can just advertise it as an unlocked phone. They don't exactly make finding info or unlocking the phone easy to do.

I've officially been using my Jet Black 7 Plus without a case for a full week. While it does show fingerprints like a mother, I'm happy fo report I have no scratches - and even in direct sunlight, no serious "microabrasions."

It will scratch. No doubt. And a lot. But for now, it's holding up better than I expected; knock on wood.

Just FYI.

Typical use is sitting in a jeans pocket, sitting on a desk, being sat on a treadmill to watch while I run, and thrown in a cup holder when driving.

Fearless.

Are all iPhones bought from Apple unlocked? I bought a 6s from Apple last year and I've been using it on T-Mobile, but I'm unsure if I need to unlock it with them or if I can just advertise it as an unlocked phone. They don't exactly make finding info or unlocking the phone easy to do.

Depends on how it's bought. If it was the SIM-free model it's unlocked, if you bought it full price it's unlocked, if you bought it in any sort of contract it's locked until it's paid up and you contact the carrier to unlock it

Apple can't unlock any phone at all

Depends on how it's bought. If it was the SIM-free model it's unlocked, if you bought it full price it's unlocked, if you bought it in any sort of contract it's locked until it's paid up and you contact the carrier to unlock it

Apple can't unlock any phone at all

Yeah, I knew in the old days that there was a separate unlocked model, but now that basically all models are full price I wasn't sure what the status was considering you still have to choose a carrier when you order. I bought the 6s full price, but I bought it launch day.

Yeah, I knew in the old days that there was a separate unlocked model, but now that basically all models are full price I wasn't sure what the status was considering you still have to choose a carrier when you order. I bought the 6s full price, but I bought it launch day.

Check with T-Mobile. It was either never locked to begin with or only they can unlock it

I'm leaning towards never locked

This started happening to me on my 6s+ about six months in (I bought on launch day in 2015). Eventually it hard crashed and bricked itself in July, showing a "Connect to iTunes" message that I was never able to recover from. I had to restore from a backup and lost a month of data (not that important) and ALL my music (soul-crushing lol) because I deleted it from my PC thinking that iTunes backed it up because why wouldn't it?

I'd exchange the phone if you can because it's clearly an issue with the Plus models that hasn't been resolved.

Makki

This started happening to me on my 6s+ about six months in (I bought on launch day in 2015). Eventually it hard crashed and bricked itself in July, showing a "Connect to iTunes" message that I was never able to recover from. I had to restore from a backup and lost a month of data (not that important) and ALL my music (soul-crushing lol) because I deleted it from my PC thinking that iTunes backed it up because why wouldn't it?

I'd exchange the phone if you can because it's clearly an issue with the Plus models that hasn't been resolved.

I happened to me and I'm on a regular 7. The issue is more than likely a software glitch since the phone doesnt freeze, it just does not respond to input unlike your hard crash.

Nah, it's definitely not that bad. It's totally software or it wouldn't be queueing all my button pressed just to release them at once

Vyer

finally

CuiTA0l.jpg

threw me at first, but I like the home 'button' feels very solid and responsive thanks to the haptic stuff. That's what I was worried about with those kind of buttons. also very unlikely I'm going to accidentally trigger it just by handling the phone. so far i'm good with it. looking forward to trying the camera out on a camping trip in a couple of weeks.

I went from a silver iPhone to the black and damn does screen protectors look ugly. Not only that but any lent and dust sure does stick out especially when it's in my pocket

Ninja Dom

I'm on the subways almost everyday, maybe in 10 years NYC will have wifi in the actual subway trains

This is another reason I opt for storage. I don't want to rely on using Verizon to access all of my music.

Same as me but for the London Underground tube. We have wifi at stations but when it comes to listening to music it's such a better experience to have it all stored locally.

Fliesen

freaking 4k videos can't play on my retina Macbook without stuttering.

gonna go back to 1080p60

also, they take 3 million years to export from the Photos.app on the mac.

MrT

Originally had a delivery range of 14-18 October but got a despatch email saying the 5th the other day. Did some googling on my tracking number as it didn't work on the DHL website, and it appears I got the tracking number for an entire shipment of phones. Put it in a universal tracker app and managed to track it to Zhengzhou, then got another number that turned out to be a flight number that I've been tracking on a flight radar site. Apparently it landed in Munich this morning. Exciting stuff lol.

Ninja Dom

freaking 4k videos can't play on my retina Macbook without stuttering.

gonna go back to 1080p60

also, they take 3 million years to export from the Photos.app on the mac.

Shouldn't' be. I would've thought that a 4K video would play fine on a retina MacBook.

Ninja Dom

Before my iPhone 7 arrives (currently on Preparing for Shipment) I decided to fire up my iPhone original 1st gen from 2007.

The menu system is so basic, there's hardly any options. Although the App Store works, no apps can be downloaded as the iOS version (3.1.3) is too old to support any of the apps.

But it feels lovely to hold. It's slow as syrup to use now. But it will happily make phonecalls, and send text messages.

I remember when I used the iPhone to order something online back in 2007 using the Safari browser and it blew my mind how the whole process worked so well. Over 2G Edge.

Vyer

Before my iPhone 7 arrives (currently on Preparing for Shipment) I decided to fire up my iPhone original 1st gen from 2007.

The menu system is so basic, there's hardly any options. Although the App Store works, no apps can be downloaded as the iOS version (3.1.3) is too old to support any of the apps.

But it feels lovely to hold. It's slow as syrup to use now. But it will happily make phonecalls, and send text messages.

I remember when I used the iPhone to order something online back in 2007 using the Safari browser and it blew my mind how the whole process worked so well. Over 2G Edge.

Well it did, compared to what came before haha

I wish I'd kept my old 3G around somewhere

Swag

How strictly should one believe the delivery estimations on the Apple website? Want to order a 7+ but it's telling me 3-4 weeks which is a bit long to wait

kaskade

How strictly should one believe the delivery estimations on the Apple website? Want to order a 7+ but it's telling me 3-4 weeks which is a bit long to wait

I don't know about the phones but I ordered a leather case on the 19th, it said 1-2 weeks shipping with estimated delivery of the Sept 28 - Oct 5th. It's out for delivery today.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I somehow miss the haft of my iPhone 6 with its battery case.
KuGsj.gif
Feels like I'm gonna drop it because its so light.

Mobius 1

I wish I had kept mine :(

I have a mint condition 6+, 128GB/gold/unlocked. What can I get for it, realistically? What's the best way to sell it? My previous 6+ died a month ago and this replacement cost $360; I'd like to recoup [some / most of ] that now that I have my 7.
Anybody with some advice here?

Animator

Anybody with some advice here?

Put it on craigslist and sell it? What advice do you need, the whole benefit of iphones is you can sell them pretty much instantly for a good price. I sold my 6 today just now for 500$, I got it for $900 on release. I literally got like 40 emails in the span of 30 minutes after I put it up for sale. Don't think you will have any problem selling yours either.

kaskade

Really happy with the leather case. It's lighter than I thought in terms of weight. Thinner as well so it feels really good on the phone. Im so used to phones being either plastic or metal that it's a weird sensation holding it.

Put it on craigslist and sell it? What advice do you need, the whole benefit of iphones is you can sell them pretty much instantly for a good price. I sold my 6 today just now for 500$, I got it for $900 on release. I literally got like 40 emails in the span of 30 minutes after I put it up for sale. Don't think you will have any problem selling yours either.

How? 6S Plus in my area is going for $430 to $530.

Top Bottom