• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Aske

iCloud restores go in two stages. Stage number one is however long it takes for that bar to go across the screen. And yes, it can't be used in that time. Stage two is when it gets to the home screen. The phone can be used but it's not done downloading all your apps/photos/etc, and continues restoring when you're on wifi. That can take a looooooooooong time depending on how much stuff you have

This is why I also keep backups on my desktop, and only ever restore over USB. I want to live in the cloud as much as anyone, but the infrastructure just isn't there yet.

Well after first having a delivery date of this past Tuesday, it looks like my iPhone will actually arrive this upcoming Tuesday. Still in the estimated delivery window that Apple gave me when I ordered, but not sure why it spent 3 days bouncing around the same 2 shipping locations in Asia before finally departing.

Impulsor

Just got my phone delivered.

As soon as I get home from work I'll unbox it and set it up and all that.

And chek for dead pixels!

Well after first having a delivery date of this past Tuesday, it looks like my iPhone will actually arrive this upcoming Tuesday. Still in the estimated delivery window that Apple gave me when I ordered, but not sure why it spent 3 days bouncing around the same 2 shipping locations in Asia before finally departing.
Same. Disappointed cus of the misleading but attractive early estimate but ah well!

marrec

Banned
Picked up a 7 early this week after being on Android for the last half decade (most recently had the Galaxy S6) and I am blown away at some of the conveniences built into iOS and the overall smooth navigation.

I mean, holy shit, I hate to be cliche but it's a night and day difference.

Also this is the first time I've gotten more than 32g on a phone (got the 128g version) and I feel like a madman downloading all my music and a bunch of apps with impunity.

The camera is nice, better than the S6, but I really wish there were a "double tap home to open camera" feature (maybe there is and I'm missing it). That's pretty much the only thing I miss, all my Google Apps are available and work just as well (if not better).

Also, Apple EarPods are garbage because they fall out of my giant ears with little effort. I was getting headaches from the tension I had to keep my head under just so the EarPods didn't fall out, until I put the silicone covers from my samsung earpods onto the apples ones and they actually now. Would be nice of Apple to send their own silicone covers.

Speaking of, has anyone used these things?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO71YRC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm getting close to ordering them but I wanted to know if they were legit (can't trust amazon reviews)

Picked up a 7 early this week after being on Android for the last half decade (most recently had the Galaxy S6) and I am blown away at some of the conveniences built into iOS and the overall smooth navigation.

I mean, holy shit, I hate to be cliche but it's a night and day difference.

Also this is the first time I've gotten more than 32g on a phone (got the 128g version) and I feel like a madman downloading all my music and a bunch of apps with impunity.

The camera is nice, better than the S6, but I really wish there were a "double tap home to open camera" feature (maybe there is and I'm missing it). That's pretty much the only thing I miss, all my Google Apps are available and work just as well (if not better).

Also, Apple EarPods are garbage because they fall out of my giant ears with little effort. I was getting headaches from the tension I had to keep my head under just so the EarPods didn't fall out, until I put the silicone covers from my samsung earpods onto the apples ones and they actually now. Would be nice of Apple to send their own silicone covers.

Speaking of, has anyone used these things?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO71YRC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm getting close to ordering them but I wanted to know if they were legit (can't trust amazon reviews)

Just swipe left on home screen for camera. Congrats on your purchase. I also switched back to an iPhone after having a Nexus 4, then 5, and haven't looked back. On the surface the 2 OSes may seem similar, but I relaized there's so much bullshit to deal with on Android, which adds up to frustration eventually. That, and iOS integration with Mac and my other Apple products (Apple TV) is pretty awesome, not to mention services like iCloud photosharing, facetime, iMessage, etc that most people I communicate with use.

marrec

Banned
Congrats on your purchase. I also switched back to an iPhone after having a Nexus 4, then 5, and haven't looked back. On the surface the 2 OSes may seem similar, but I relaized there's so much bullshit to deal with on Android, which adds up to frustration eventually. That, and iOS integration with Mac and my other Apple products (Apple TV) is pretty awesome, not to mention services like iCloud photosharing, facetime, iMessage, etc that most people I communicate with use.

Only other apple product I have is a Pro 9.7 so I haven't delved too far into cool integration yet. Even so, the frustration I was feeling using Galaxy products was just a background radiation that I wasn't even aware of until I switched to iOS.

We'll see if it keeps up as I load up the phone with crap, but so far it's a much better experience.

If I ain't careful I'm going to become a shill to my friends to try and get them switching.

tommyguns

Quick question! I managed to pick up an iPhone 7 plus yesterday! Everything seems great and the taptic engine works where it should.

EXCEPT..when sending or receiving full screen iMessage effect (fireworks, lasers, etc) mine does not vibrate along with it. I have read reports online that the taptic engine should kick in and vibrate along with the explosions of the fireworks and such. Posted on reddit and another forum and am getting a mixed bag of people saying theres does do it and some do not.

Could anyone check theirs and let me know? Hoping its a software bug if anything.

Hey Guys....

I got the 7 Plus Matte Black 128GB yesterday and I noticed the screen is warmer \ yellowish than my 6s Plus.

I made a search and found out that's probably because the glue didn't dry yet and it should be back to normal after a week or so of usage.

Did anyone had the same problem and it solved after few days of usage?

I know about the Colour Filters but still doesn't seems right compared my old 6s Plus.

Please share with me your feedback thanks.

Hey Guys....

I got the 7 Plus Matte Black 128GB yesterday and I noticed the screen is warmer yellowish than my 6s Plus.

I made a search and found out that's probably because the glue didn't dry yet and it should be back to normal after a week or so of usage.

Did anyone had the same problem and it solved after few days of usage?

I know about the Colour Filters but still doesn't seems right compared my old 6s Plus.

Please share with me your feedback thanks.

iPhone are generally very blue on the color spectrum, iPhone 7 is less so because it's trying to be more accurate to be DCI-P3 compliant. This is normal and also better. The blue of your 6S is inaccurate while the 7 is accurate, not the other way around

iPhone are generally very blue on the color spectrum, iPhone 7 is less so because it's trying to be more accurate to be DCI-P3 compliant. This is normal and also better. The blue of your 6S is inaccurate while the 7 is accurate, not the other way around
So it's normal to be warmer and yellowish even compared to my Vaio's laptop? >_>"

Is everyone's screens are like this!!

Specially on the half bottom...!?

Thanks for the reply :)

Skilletor

Is there a way to get numbers and punctuation on the same page as the letters for a keyboard? Or is there a keyboard that does it?

I'm missing android swiftkey the most out of my conversion. I need my comma on the same page :/.

marrec

Banned
Is there a way to get numbers and punctuation on the same page as the letters for a keyboard? Or is there a keyboard that does it?

I'm missing android swiftkey the most out of my conversion. I need my comma on the same page :/.

I downloaded Gboard first thing, which is a pale comparison too Swiftkey but is 100% better than the default keyboard.

Gboard has the punctuation key to the right of the space bar.

Yep. A correctly calibrated display will be warm

Now if half your screen is warmer compared to the other half that's obviously not normal. But don't compare it to an old iPhone

Hmmm... I think my OCD mind is playing tricks on me now and there's no such thing in my screen to be warmer on the lower half.

But thanks you put my mind on ease now... I did more research and found out many noticed that their iPhone 7's screen is warmer than their 6's.

Deku Tree

How do I get this 12-16 hour battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus that Apple and reviewers told me about?

I am getting the same approx 10 hours to zero charge that I used to get on my old iPhone 6 Plus.

Is there are article that tells me which settings to turn off that I don't use to get better battery life?

Ya I got that, but I want one thumb camera opening. It's a slight inconvenience but enough of one that I miss it every time I have to get my camera out quick.

Why do you need more than one thumb to access the camera from the lock screen? With Raise to Wake, you just lift up the iPhone and then swipe left...

Also, since you mentioned you have an iPad Pro too, I think one of the coolest features in iOS 10 is Universal Copy & Paste. Just copy something on one device and paste onto the other. Magic.

How do I get this 12-16 hour battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus that Apple and reviewers told me about?

I am getting the same approx 10 hours to zero charge that I used to get on my old iPhone 6 Plus.

Is there are article that tells me which settings to turn off that I don't use to get better battery life?

One of the biggest battery offenders is Background Refresh, which lets apps run background tasks like network fetches. Go into Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and turn off the ones you don't care about having the most up-to-date content. Facebook is a big offender, and in fact there's some people that think they're doing some sketchy stuff. I've noticed having Hangouts on can also be a drain. Note: this won't affect app notifications.

jts

...hate me...
My 6s Plus display is really cold, colder than the 5s in the house. But it's supposed to be more accurate?

Anyway makes me wish there were display options to fiddle with. At least night shift helps.

btkadams

If my phone's screen is on or the phone is unlocked, does putting the phone against an NFC terminal still activate Apple Pay?

With my 6 Plus, I always did the double tap of the home button when the screen was off/locked and it would take me right to apple pay. I just realized that this raise-to-wake thing makes it so that the phone is always lit up, and the double tap doesn't work because the phone unlocks so damn quickly lol. I'm just wondering if i can put the phone against the NFC terminal - no matter what is open on the phone - and have it switch to apple pay automatically.

Lexxism

If my phone's screen is on or the phone is unlocked, does putting the phone against an NFC terminal still activate Apple Pay?

With my 6 Plus, I always did the double tap of the home button when the screen was off/locked and it would take me right to apple pay. I just realized that this raise-to-wake thing makes it so that the phone is always lit up, and the double tap doesn't work because the phone unlocks so damn quickly lol. I'm just wondering if i can put the phone against the NFC terminal - no matter what is open on the phone - and have it switch to apple pay automatically.
Yes. Just lie your finger on your home button and it will automatically use your default card. Actually, even if your screen is off you can still use your apple pay.

tommyguns

On my 7 plus I'm at 6 hours and 40 minutes of usage and have 16 percent left. This is no good. Already have location services off, background app refresh off, etc.

However, I just got it yesterday evening and today did do a lot of downloading apps, setting up, etc. Will try to get a more realistically reading over the next couple of days. Hoping this is not the norm cuz that would be awful.

NYR

Held a jet black 7. So good. Felt and looked amazing.
This was just posted on 9 to 5 Mac. 2 weeks of use with no case:

CuLoPo6WYAAaivV.jpg

Surfheart

I tried a 7 in a shop today and wasn't a fan of the home button at all. Felt very strange and the haptic feedback felt completely disassociated from the actual button.

longdi

Banned
I tried a 7 in a shop today and wasn't a fan of the home button at all. Felt very strange and the haptic feedback felt completely disassociated from the actual button.
Yap the force touch thingie has always been weird to me. I guess the end game for this type of feedback is when the whole thing is under the screen.

Meanwhile i set ip7+ home button to max lv3 strength, feels more buttony that way.

tmdorsey

Ya I got that, but I want one thumb camera opening. It's a slight inconvenience but enough of one that I miss it every time I have to get my camera out quick.

Put the Camera app in the dock. Between doing that and the swipe left access from the lock screen, you should always have one thumb access to the camera.

Deku Tree

Yup my 7 Plus battery life is massively worse than what Apple advertises. They are usually pretty on the spot with battery life estimates. Wonder if I got a dud.

Yup my 7 Plus battery life is massively worse than what Apple advertises. They are usually pretty on the spot with battery life estimates. Wonder if I got a dud.

I've had some interesting results

I charged my phone over night on Thursday and off I went to work. I was in meetings most of the day and at 4pm when I left the battery was at 90%. Pretty reasonable. That's with cellular, wifi, and BT all on. On the commute home I listened to 30 mins of a downloaded podcast with BT headphones. After 30 mins it was 80%. So after 30 mins it dropped 10%. That included maybe 10 mins of browsing/Twitter.

I am still on that charge cycle right now, and its Saturday night. It was 60%ish when I went to bed and today it's not got much use at all, and right now it's 36%.

Soooo, it has decent stamina on standby, but any sort of usage seems to hammer it. That was what I took away from my unscientific test.

One other day last week it dropped by 10-12% on my commute to work. That was browsing and listening to a podcast over BT headphones.

I've had some interesting results

I charged my phone over night on Thursday and off I went to work. I was in meetings most of the day and at 4pm when I left the battery was at 90%. Pretty reasonable. That's with cellular, wifi, and BT all on. On the commute home I listened to 30 mins of a downloaded podcast with BT headphones. After 30 mins it was 80%. So after 30 mins it dropped 10%. That included maybe 10 mins of browsing/Twitter.

I am still on that charge cycle right now, and its Saturday night. It was 60%ish when I went to bed and today it's not got much use at all, and right now it's 36%.

Soooo, it has decent stamina on standby, but any sort of usage seems to hammer it. That was what I took away from my unscientific test.

One other day last week it dropped by 10-12% on my commute to work. That was browsing and listening to a podcast over BT headphones.

what podcast client are you using?

Ive had the same problem on my iPhone 5S and am starting to wonder if started after I switched to Overcast

jts

...hate me...
iPhone 7 Jet Black needs some Zagg InvisibleShield for the body like I used to use on my 3GS. Does Zagg even sell those anymore? Last I checked I could only find display protection.

Could be a dud, or could be a bad config in iOS somewhere. Generally when you have battery issues Genius Bar would try:

1. Hard Reset (hold down screen on button, then hold down volume down button too, until the screen turns off and back on)

2. In rare cases they will try a restore (or if there are other issues, even a restore without backup)

3. If it's just simple battery gauge doesn't make sense they might recommend burning your battery down to shutdown and then doing a full charge (100% and then another half hour)

Often they usually just connect the analyzer to look at your battery consumption. But if you go to Battery > Show Detailed Usage > Last 7 Days you can get a good idea of what is using your battery the most too. If it's Photos then you probably did a restore recently, but it could be a rogue app or something. Turning off FBs background app refresh sometimes helps.

Anecdotally my 7+ battery life has been superb, a huge upgrade from the 6 (not plus).

Just got my iPhone 7 today. Any recommendations on a screen protector? I want something that feels like the screen would normally and resist fingerprints. There's a lot of different brands out there, and I'm not sure which one is best.

Aske

Made the decision to go matte late night because it was in stock. Glad I did. I'm super careful, but I really don't want to impact my phone's resale value, and even in a case, the jet back seems risky. Loving the 7 though! Haptic feedback is fun, really loving the higher quality speakers, and I'm excited to start using 3D touch. Still playing around. Best thing is the 256 GB of storage. Love that not-totally-full-up feeling!

Edit: GAF with peak and pop is a game changer!

Ashhong

Just got my iPhone 7 today. Any recommendations on a screen protector? I want something that feels like the screen would normally and resist fingerprints. There's a lot of different brands out there, and I'm not sure which one is best.

Almost all brands of tempered glass screen protector are pretty much the same and feel great. I always use tech armor brand as they have a really easy to use lifetime warranty. The only choice to make is you want a regular protector or an edge to edge one. I prefer edge to edge but depends on if you're using a case

Top Bottom