• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Almost all brands of tempered glass screen protector are pretty much the same and feel great. I always use tech armor brand as they have a really easy to use lifetime warranty. The only choice to make is you want a regular protector or an edge to edge one. I prefer edge to edge but depends on if you're using a case

Thanks, I'll check them out. :]

Bgamer90

Banned
Looks like I won't get my iPhone 7+ until next week or so due to the hurricane.

Came in on Friday. Nice surprise. Home button is taking some time for me to get used to.

CuLnAJsWgAAOYVl.jpg:large

Deku Tree

Could be a dud, or could be a bad config in iOS somewhere. Generally when you have battery issues Genius Bar would try:

1. Hard Reset (hold down screen on button, then hold down volume down button too, until the screen turns off and back on)

2. In rare cases they will try a restore (or if there are other issues, even a restore without backup)

3. If it's just simple battery gauge doesn't make sense they might recommend burning your battery down to shutdown and then doing a full charge (100% and then another half hour)

Often they usually just connect the analyzer to look at your battery consumption. But if you go to Battery > Show Detailed Usage > Last 7 Days you can get a good idea of what is using your battery the most too. If it's Photos then you probably did a restore recently, but it could be a rogue app or something. Turning off FBs background app refresh sometimes helps.

Anecdotally my 7+ battery life has been superb, a huge upgrade from the 6 (not plus).

My wife's iPhone 7 battery life is also pretty bad. Lasted from wake up to 3pm the other day. It was a high usage weekend day but not that high.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
T-mobile screwed up my order. And now I gotta find a phone fresh. What are the fastest options these days?

SCChappy

Banned
So the camera on my new 7 is noticeably blurrier and worse than my old 6+. Is this something I should get a return for?

It may just be I'm not used to the lower screen resolution

rubes7844

Banned
Ruined my iPhone 7 plus leather case on Friday. Left it on my phone during a fire pit outing. Now it smells like a campfire 😢

Clipse

itshappening.gif

Just got a text from Verizon saying my 7 Plus (128GB, Black) order was received and I'll be getting a tracking # soon. Surprised it's shipping before the 7 Plus (Rose Gold) I also have on order.

Originally pre-ordered both phones on Sept. 16th around 1AM and the estimated delivery dates were Oct. 26th.

what podcast client are you using?

Ive had the same problem on my iPhone 5S and am starting to wonder if started after I switched to Overcast

I just used the main Apple one. I've not tried another yet. I used Pocket Casts on my Android (which was excellent), but thought I'd try the stock one on iOS.

Just got mine on Friday, and I'm digging it so far.

This has probably already been covered in the thread, but it's a long thread, so just in case (hah):

What are people's recommendations RE: cases? I'm more interested in protection than looking pretty, but the Otterbox Defender is a little bulky for my purposes.

I was looking at some of the Tech21 stuff like maybe the Mesh (though it doesn't seem to be available on Amazon). Any suggestions?

Ecto311

Went to sleep with my 7 Plus battery at 87% and now it's at 68% when I wake up. Background all refresh etc is off.

When I first got the phone the battery was shit because it was downloading all the old stuff I had. How long have you had it? Is it hot on the back? I know clash royale destroys even this new battery and the phone gets hot.

Deku Tree

When I first got the phone the battery was shit because it was downloading all the old stuff I had. How long have you had it? Is it hot on the back? I know clash royale destroys even this new battery and the phone gets hot.

I've had my phone for over a week. My wife is having similar battery drain issues and she's had her 7 since day 1. Neither of us have clash royale or other iPhone games.

I did a hard reset of both phones yesterday. Both phones were setup as new when we got them.

I am seeing some scattered reports on the internet that 10.0.2 introduces some battery drain issues. IDK

So, decided to jump on a 7 and man, it's been brutal getting everything up to date. I restored from a week-old backup and then had hundreds of apps that needed updating. Two days later, my update list is still stuck on 67 - hit update all and nothing happens. Try to update one, and it just sits there. I've cleared the cache, I've logged out and back into my Apple ID, I've restarted the phone, I've done hard resets, I've rejoined my Wi-Fi network...

I've also noticed it's slow when re-downloading music to the phone. Is there anything I'm missing?

Vyer

I've had my phone for over a week. My wife is having similar battery drain issues and she's had her 7 since day 1. Neither of us have clash royale or other iPhone games.

I did a hard reset of both phones yesterday. Both phones were setup as new when we got them.

I am seeing some scattered reports on the internet that 10.0.2 introduces some battery drain issues. IDK

Did you clear apps before the reset? Doing that and then leaving the phone for a while (or just doing basic things like texts and/or calls) would help to see if it's an app doing the drain. Even basic things like photo apps or cloud apps might be working background or stuck and you don't realize it.

my phone just arrived! :D

ups tracking must be drunk because it said it was still miles away and not out for delivery and that it would be delivered on wednesday.

MESS

Skilletor

I've had it for almost a week now and I think I'm sold on apple. I got the portrait mode beta and took a few pictures with it:

I'm not a photographer or anything, but I'm super happy with the quality. I just want to take nice looking pictures of my cats/statues/arcade sticks :p. Only bad thing is that it seems to need a lot of light for the DoF effect.

The battery life, speed, and integration of everything on an OS level is just so awesome and I'm loving it more than I thought I would coming off of Samsung phones (had a note from 2-7).

So I've gone from a 6 to a 7 Plus and I was expecting it to feel larger but it is... large.

A little too so, maybe. I'm sure I'll get used to it thought and probably be unable to go back after 1 day of use :p

Rocking the apple silicon case in pink sand cus I don't like the Spigen Air Skin I bought. It has weird ridges on the back whereas the same case for the 6 was perfectly smooth. Hm.

I've had it for almost a week now and I think I'm sold on apple. I got the portrait mode beta and took a few pictures with it:

I'm not a photographer or anything, but I'm super happy with the quality. I just want to take nice looking pictures of my cats/statues/arcade sticks :p. Only bad thing is that it seems to need a lot of light for the DoF effect.

The battery life, speed, and integration of everything on an OS level is just so awesome and I'm loving it more than I thought I would coming off of Samsung phones (had a note from 2-7).
cool pics!

Megasoum

Banned
So I've had an iPhone 4 and then a 5c for a while. When I switched job last year I decided to try Android and went with a Motorola X Play (which is an ok but low end Android Phone).

Android is all right but I've had a bunch of problems with the phone itself over the last year (battery issues, performance issues, etc). I was already thinking about going back to iOS next year when my contract ends but then I dropped my phone by accident on friday and shattered the screen so hey... might as well upgrade right away! lol

I ordered a black iPhone 7 32gb on friday which I should get in a couple of weeks... Now I'm thinking about changing my order for a 128gb cause between my music and apps I bet I will fill that 32gb quick. Really sucks they don't offer 64gb option.

Speaking of music, I'll probably just use the adapter but anybody has good suggestions for over the ears bluetooth headpones? I'm thinking similar to Beats form factor but not Beats. I'm looking for something that has a good audio quality, not too expensive and also doesn't bleed audio too much. I would use them a lot in public transit and I don't want people around me hearing everything I'm listening.

Is anyone here facing this problem?

The voice messages plays out at very low volume and progressively get louder to full volume throughout the message, that happen when I use the speaker of the iPhone 7 Plus but when I'm using the headphones it's normal...... any help please to get it back to normal using the speakers?

giga

macstories touched on the W1 chip in their review and the range and battery life has me more impressed than the setup process.

20 meters and 40 hours in the solo 3.

Range is impressive. I live in a small apartment, and I like walking around while I'm listening to music or podcasts. With older Bluetooth headphones, the connection would start dropping as I walked more than 10 meters across rooms. I performed some tests with the Solo3, and not only can I walk 20 meters away from my iPhone (across rooms with walls between them) – I can go outside on our balcony (a very large open space) and the connection holds up nicely until I walk to the very edge.

For comparison, my old Beats Studio, Apple Magic Keyboard, and first-gen Apple Watch can't keep their iPhone connection going at the same distance. Later this month, I should be able to keep my iPhone charging inside and chill on my sofa outside with a pair of AirPods, controlling (almost) everything with Siri. The Solo3's range is remarkable, and it builds on the idea of cable-free movement enabled by wireless audio.

Battery life is a noticeable upgrade from previous Bluetooth Beats as well. According to Apple, the Solo3 – driven by the efficiency of the W1 chip – should last 40 hours on a single charge, with Fast Fuel turning a 5-minute charge into 3 hours of playback. I can't confirm these exact numbers, but I can say this: after listening to music a couple of hours each night for 10 days, my Solo3 still had over 60% of battery left.

At roughly the same weight and comparable audio quality, the Solo3's 40 hours of battery life are a noticeable jump from the Solo2's 12 hours of wireless playback. I wouldn't be surprised if future Beats Studio Wireless models exceed 60 hours of battery life thanks to the W1. Historically, poor battery life has been the main drawback of Bluetooth headphones; Apple is onto something with the W1's power management.
i'm sad it's not likely to be open to other manufacturers under the mfi program.

macstories touched on the W1 chip in their review and the range and battery life has me more impressed than the setup process.

This would line up with the big gains quoted for the PowerBeats3 as well. Really didn't want to upgrade but that's a pretty compelling reason to do it.

This may be common knowledge, but new Plus owners should download the Word Flow keyboard. It lets you swipe to text and also has option to curve the keyboard. It makes texting one-handed really easy with the Plus.

Sean

Banned

20 meters and 40 hours in the solo 3.

i'm sad it's not likely to be open to other manufacturers under the mfi program.

I have the Beats Solo 3 as well and this lines up with my experience exactly. The setup process was simple, the battery life is incredible, and I have zero range issues anywhere throughout my apartment (I have extremely thick walls and all my previous bluetooth devices could go maybe two rooms before having issues, these are flawless though). I watched an entire season of Luke Cage on Netflix, several hours of movies and HBO Go, etc and have never needed to charge it yet.

Problem is I don't find them comfortable at all, there's not much cushion in the earcups and they have a tight fit so it really hurts to wear them with glasses for longer periods. Absolutely love the new W1 technology, not so much the headphones themselves. So I do hope Apple licenses it out to other manufacturers eventually.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This may be common knowledge, but new Plus owners should download the Word Flow keyboard. It lets you swipe to text and also has option to curve the keyboard. It makes texting one-handed really easy with the Plus.

Keyboard not available internationally. :( I suppose it only supports American English.

Referencing my earlier troubles re: downloading updated apps and music - after trying to update apps through iTunes (and dealing with residual apps left over from my former roommate) - I just bit the bullet and did a restore of iOS then restore from backup and that seems to have done the trick.

Man, that was getting annoying.

Aske

The whole "taptic feedback" system is surprisingly cool. When I switched over it was literally the last thing on my mind but it routinely makes me go "huh, cool".

The home button is dope as hell.

Exactly my experience. I thought it would be interesting at most, but it actually adds an element of engagement with the device. Love how it feels to peek and pop with the haptic feedback.

Vyer

wachie
(09-07-2016, 02:10 PM)

Thread is over a month old.

I didn't think that was the criteria,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1187921
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1256826
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1233456

seemed a little soon considering some people haven't even got theirs yet. just always throws me when I suddenly can't find a thread. Same thing happened to me when the NFL weekly threads were jumping around lol. Guess I'll have to use subs more

The whole "taptic feedback" system is surprisingly cool. When I switched over it was literally the last thing on my mind but it routinely makes me go "huh, cool".

The home button is dope as hell.

It's cool how it's a nice touch in apps. The camera app uses it when you're adjusting certain settings. Pro camera too.

Bummer that the initial Ars Technica review didn't include a serious breakdown of the A10 Fusion. It does mention, though, that the Hurricane cores seem very similar to the A9's Twister cores (albeit clocked a good deal higher).

Next year's almost certainly going to mean a new process node and perhaps a more substantial reengineering of the main cores as well. Apple's pretty consistently been able to push their AX series processors pretty far every generation starting with the A7 - I wonder when they'll actually hit a wall with chip development. Smaller process node next year may mean even further gains in battery life, though (and there's room for growth with the A10 Fusion's power control - right now either both full-power cores or both low-power cores are on at once and perhaps further gains could be had from asymmetry in that regard or from powering only a single low-power core).

tommyguns

I didn't think that was the criteria,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1187921
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1256826
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1233456

seemed a little soon considering some people haven't even got theirs yet. just always throws me when I suddenly can't find a thread. Same thing happened to me when the NFL weekly threads were jumping around lol. Guess I'll have to use subs more

It's cool how it's a nice touch in apps. The camera app uses it when you're adjusting certain settings. Pro camera too.

When does taptic vibration kick in during use with the camera app?? I just tried changing settings in the app and don't get any vibrations.

Vyer

When does taptic vibration kick in during use with the camera app?? I just tried changing settings in the app and don't get any vibrations.

Sorry, I meant the photos app. When you are adjusting/editing, it kicks in whenever you go back to the default in each feature.

The pro camera app actually uses it as you move along the dial while adjusting manual camera settings.

tommyguns

Sorry, I meant the photos app. When you are adjusting/editing, it kicks in whenever you go back to the default in each feature.

The pro camera app actually uses it as you move along the dial while adjusting manual camera settings.

No worries!

Can you check if your Taptic Engine kicks in when sending iMessage full screen effects? (Fireworks, lasers, etc. ) reading reports online that it is supposed to vibrate alone with the fireworks and such. My phone does not do it however. (7 plus 32gb)

Aske

No worries!

Can you check if your Taptic Engine kicks in when sending iMessage full screen effects? (Fireworks, lasers, etc. ) reading reports online that it is supposed to vibrate alone with the fireworks and such. My phone does not do it however. (7 plus 32gb)

Mine kicks in when using the photos app as Vyer described, but I don't feel anything when sending iMessage screen effects.

Top Bottom