• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

marrec

Banned
That monster iPhone 7 Plus Battery life!

And I just did a full restore, and I haven't installed any apps, and I have barely used the phone. The only thing I did was connect my gmail to the phone.

Ya I'd take the phone in.

I'm at 2 hours usage and 8 hours standby on my comparatively anemic regular 7 and am still at 85% battery.

Ninja Dom

Speaking of battery. Try organising your People folder in Photos app. Phone gets hot and battery literally ticks down as you use it.

Vyer

And I just did a full restore, and I haven't installed any apps, and I have barely used the phone. The only thing I did was connect my gmail to the phone.

42% for 12 min screen time for Safari is extremely weird.

Maybe something in one of the tabs you are loading? Are you seeing the little spinning dial in the upper left constantly when you are in Safari?

No worries!

Can you check if your Taptic Engine kicks in when sending iMessage full screen effects? (Fireworks, lasers, etc. ) reading reports online that it is supposed to vibrate alone with the fireworks and such. My phone does not do it however. (7 plus 32gb)

Not that I've noticed.

Deku Tree

42% for 12 min screen time for Safari is extremely weird.

Maybe something in one of the tabs you are loading? Are you seeing the little spinning dial in the upper left constantly when you are in Safari?

No I didn't see that. I only looked at GAF on my phone today.

Wonder if it's indexing stuff in the background since you just did a restore. Something is obviously way out of whack with what Safari is doing to the battery life. I'm at 4:40 of usage and 11:45 of standby with 60% of the battery left.

btkadams

I gotta say... i'm really loving my 7 plus. I upgraded from a 6 plus and the speed difference is night and day. It's so fast. I remember the day i got my 6 plus, I felt that even then it was a little sluggish at times. Zero complaints so far.

Finally got my Black 7+
I gotta say i'm loving it over my 6+

Went with a white silicon case this time over the black leather case I've had on my 6+ for so long. Felt it was time for a change, and so far I'm enjoying it. It has made me curious about purchasing a different color in the future, only because I have such a hard time selecting a case.

So every review I've read about the airpods is that the sound quality is same as the earpods but louder. Then I read this from arstechnica review

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/0...at-annual-upgrades-with-one-major-catch/4/#h5
But the sound quality is actually noticeably better than the 3.5mm or Lightning AirPods. Bass is clearer and louder, which is always the biggest issue with cheap or weak speakers and headphones. And you can attribute the improvement to the little cutout on the back of the headphones.

In regular EarPods, this cutout is just a tiny slit. In AirPods, it’s larger with its own little speaker grille. Put your fingers over that cutout on the AirPods while music is playing, and you’ll hear the bass tones fade out entirely. So AirPods may be expensive, but at least you’ll get an audio-quality upgrade if you spring for them.

Vyer

No I didn't see that. I only looked at GAF on my phone today.

Hmm. Yeah then something's definitely not normal there. I'm looking at my battery stats right now and my Safari with 2.5 hours on screen has only used 22%

Hell even your Mail at 22% for only 6 minutes is crazy

Animator

Hey so when I connect my iphone to the computer itunes doesnt recognize it (windows 10 does so the cable is fine). Any idea what I need to do ?

Laekon

If I buy an iPhone 7 from Apple can I just drop in the sim card from my 5X without dealing with AT&T activation crap? They don't list an unlocked option like they do with the 6s.

Vyer

Hey so when I connect my iphone to the computer itunes doesnt recognize it (windows 10 does so the cable is fine). Any idea what I need to do ?

unplug, restart, try again maybe with itunes already open. sometimes windows and itunes have issues with which 'recognizes' the phone first. or there are a different set of drivers that need to auto install.

senahorse

Seems a bit low, this is mine today:

unnamed_1.png

edit: how do you make it show 10 hours like yours does?

Hmm. Yeah then something's definitely not normal there. I'm looking at my battery stats right now and my Safari with 2.5 hours on screen has only used 22%

Hell even your Mail at 22% for only 6 minutes is crazy
Yep.

Looking at mine 6 mins of mail used 2%. 2.3 hours of safari 25%.

Take that shit in.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Try re-install iTunes. It might be the Apple Device USB driver that's busted and that's the quickest way to reset it. Had similar issues after initially upgrading to iTunes 12.5.1 but it fixed itself once I did a reinstall via the downloadable executable from Apple instead of via software update.

Sickbean

Was the iPhone 7+ a paper launch? I've no idea if I'll even get one this side of Christmas (UK). Especially as I want to get on the upgrade program so can't order one online.

Was the iPhone 7+ a paper launch? I've no idea if I'll even get one this side of Christmas (UK). Especially as I want to get on the upgrade program so can't order one online.

I literately just reserved a 7+ Jet Black at the Southampton store with the upgrade program, so there is stock trickling in. You just need to keep checking the Reserve page throughout the day (I've noticed stock appears randomly at any time).

Sickbean

I literately just reserved a 7+ Jet Black at the Southampton store with the upgrade program, so there is stock trickling in. You just need to keep checking the Reserve page throughout the day (I've noticed stock appears randomly at any time).

Cheers - someone told me further up the thread that you couldn't reserve if you wanted to get on the upgrade program.

I'll keep refreshing!

StuffRuff

Have there been any recent sales numbers released? I can only imagine they are selling millions of the things as stock seems to be none existent pretty much everywhere for 7 Plus's.

Any on Vodafone in the UK got any hint of their phone yet?

Battery Life on my 6s Plus seems to be getting worse. It's dropped about 7% in like 15 mins of browsing GAF and my brightness is really low.

Clipse

Well, fuck me. Just found out I can't restore my backup on my new phone since the iPhone 7 requires the latest version of iTunes which isn't supported on Windows XP. I guess it's finally time for a new computer.

Mr Swine

Banned
Can someone please explain to me how.do I know if the telephoto lens on 7+ is being used? Some say that the screen flashes really fast while others say that you need to be in a very bright day to get it to work

sangreal

Can someone please explain to me how.do I know if the telephoto lens on 7+ is being used? Some say that the screen flashes really fast while others say that you need to be in a very bright day to get it to work

there is no indicator in the stock app and you basically need to be outside in daylight

You can just use a 3rd party camera app that lets you actually select which lens you want to use. I know ProCamera and Adobe LightRoom let you do this

The phone doesn't tell you. The "easiest" way is to put your finger over the second lens and you'll notice the change in image quality.

But from what I understand you're right the 'telephoto' is only utilised when you activate 2x zoom and in good lighting.

And in portrait mode of course.

We can probably expect developers to come up with more ways to use both lenses in the future.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have a few photos that I just took and what to upload here, what's the best mobile app for this?

Yoshichan

Wow, I just uploaded these and Imgur totally fucked the image quality :( Oh well...

Comparison between iPhone 5 and iPhone 7+, zoomed in x2.

Deku Tree

Well I walked into the Apple Store at 9am this morning. By 10am I was walking out with a new 7 Plus. We will see how the battery life is...

Danneee

My 6 months old daughter wrecked the back of my Z3 Compact (not just cracked but I actually had to tape it for the shards not to fall off it...). Still usable but I might as well get a new phone, Can't decide between a 128gb 7 or 7 plus though.

marrec

Banned
My 6 months old daughter wrecked the back of my Z3 Compact (not just cracked but I actually had to tape it for the shards not to fall off it...). Still usable but I might as well get a new phone, Can't decide between a 128gb 7 or 7 plus though.

I went for the regular old 7. The dual cameras are nice in theory but I think in practice they're going to be underwhelming. When shooting with DSLR I hate relying on zoom and would always rather just get closer to the subject instead, sometimes that's unavoidable obviously like with wildlife shots.

So it was really a choice between big phone and little phone. I went little phone.

Draper

Can't decide on a case...I want something thin and adds little to the size, but also something of quality.

Apple leather?

Apple silicon?

Peal Case?

Spigen thin case?

Clipse

Can't decide on a case...I want something thin and adds little to the size, but also something of quality.

Apple leather?

Apple silicon?

Peal Case?

Spigen thin case?
I just exchanged the Apple leather case for the silicone earlier tonight, because the bottom corners would flare out to the sides due to the corners being a little too tight for the phone.

The Apple Store had a few open-box cases on the racks and the problem just wasn't with my particular case.

ntropy

just got my phone, but the WiFi is slow as balls. any suggestions?

nvm, figured it out (set control channel to 10 in router config )

Danneee

I went for the regular old 7. The dual cameras are nice in theory but I think in practice they're going to be underwhelming. When shooting with DSLR I hate relying on zoom and would always rather just get closer to the subject instead, sometimes that's unavoidable obviously like with wildlife shots.

So it was really a choice between big phone and little phone. I went little phone.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that to but the extra battery time I'd get with the plus would be welcome. I'll just have to go and look at them both later today and decide then.

Top Bottom