• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Dierce

These egotistical assholes had the audacity to call themselves courageous for removing the headphone jack in order to sell adapters and overpriced a wireless earphone. I hope they finally face the massive backlash they've deserved for a long time.

BFIB

These egotistical assholes had the audacity to call themselves courageous for removing the headphone jack in order to sell adapters and overpriced a wireless earphone. I hope they finally face the massive backlash they've deserved for a long time.

They won't. They're Apple, and they are above that kind of backlash. Their loyalty knows no bounds.

People knew it was coming for months. The backlash yesterday was minimal. Doubt that is going to change anytime soon.

I really don't see how it is that big of a deal. I use my earphones pretty much every day, and swapping them for the lightning version or sticking an adaptor on the end of my existing set isn't difficult.

I can see if they said they removed it to make room for other features, but for "courage"? Friend said it was to make the iPhone waterproof, but why are Samsung phones waterproof and still have a headphone jack? I'll wait until next year at the earliest to upgrade.

I hope so too. It'll be easier to grab one of the earlier appointment times on launch day.

thegoosen

Neo Member
Camera, Photos, Health, Messages, Phone, FaceTime, Stocks, Voice Memos, Podcasts, Mail, Music, Wallet, Safari, Maps, Siri, Tips, Find My iPhone, Settings, Calendar, iTunes Store, App Store, Notes, News, Contacts, Calculator, Compass, Watch, iBooks, Home, Weather, Reminders, Clock, Videos, iCloud Drive, and Find My Friends.
This post is bloatware.

mid83

Does anybody know the process for upgrading via the iPhone upgrade plan yet (for those of us that used it to get the 6s)? I hope I can preorder in the morning.

I can see if they said they removed it to make room for other features, but for "courage"? Friend said it was to make the iPhone waterproof, but why are Samsung phones waterproof and still have a headphone jack? I'll wait until next year at the earliest to upgrade.

They pretty much did say they were removing it for other things, they just didn't mention anything in particular. However I would doubt there is going to be a hollow section where the jack used to be.

Camera, Photos, Health, Messages, Phone, FaceTime, Stocks, Voice Memos, Podcasts, Mail, Music, Wallet, Safari, Maps, Siri, Tips, Find My iPhone, Settings, Calendar, iTunes Store, App Store, Notes, News, Contacts, Calculator, Compass, Watch, iBooks, Home, Weather, Reminders, Clock, Videos, iCloud Drive, and Find My Friends.

Have you ever used an iPhone from a UK provider? Companies such as O2 put so much of their crap on all phones (including iPhone) and make it a hassle to delete it all.

8gFRKSd.gif

giga

They did say what specific reasons. Camera and battery were two specifics. Read the buzzfeed article. On mobile right now but it's probably on their front page.

mid83

I don't know why people get so angry over companies making design decisions. Apple is going to do what they think is best for their brand and bottom line, like any any company should.

We have an abundance of choices for smartphones so if the headphone issue is a deal breaker, then there are plenty of great Android phones that will provide you with the experience you want.

Apple shits out money while other companies have to actually work their asses off to succeed.
Your post history on Apple is positively seething.

IMO matte black loots a LOT better than the gloss. That's what I'm going with.
Same, unfortunately T-Mobile seems to be charging to go from 64GB to 128GB, even though they're both upgraded tiers of storage.

Tobor

The idea for the removal of the headphone jack was raised during the development of the iPhone 7. In a nutshell, the "driver ledge" for the display and backlight, traditionally placed near the camera, was interfering with the new camera systems in the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, leading Apple to explore other placement options. It was moved near the audio jack, but it also caused interference with various components, including the audio jack itself, so Apple engineers toyed with the elimination of the jack altogether.

When the headphone jack was removed, Apple realized it was easier to install the new Taptic Engine for the pressure-sensitive Home button, implement a bigger battery, and reach an IP7 water resistance rating, so the elimination of the headphone jack became essential for all of the other features in the iPhone 7.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/07/apple-explains-headphone-jack-removal/

KaiserBecks

The adaptor comes with the phone.

kaskade

IMO matte black loots a LOT better than the gloss. That's what I'm going with.

Yeah, it does. I like that they went with the darker black. Looks more like the original iPhone 5 color, whatever they called it at the time.

I'd go with the 7+ though. It felt a little big for like 2 days, then I was used to it. I'd get it for the dual camera alone.

tommyguns

Can't decide being matt and gloss black
Can't decide between 7 and 7 plus
Want headphones and a watch too.

Can't afford any of it.

Haha! I have decided i definitely want matte black. (The gloss is gorgeous but fingerprints and scratches will drive me nuts)

My struggle is the 7 and 7 plus. I currently have the nexus 6p so I'm used to the bigger size phone but my girlfriends iPhone 6 fits so well in the hand and is just so nice. But the 7 plus has those extra camera features and the extra bit of ram. (I think confirmed?)

Also want a watch.

Kermy

Ugh I was going Android this cycle with the Note 7. I'm still using my Note 7 but with the recall and the new camera on this iPhone 7 Plus, I guess I'll switch back to iPhone. Now to figure out which color to preorder tonight.

As for the lack of headphone jack...meh. I've already gone Bluetooth for the most part. Sold my Ether C and SE846 already and am using my Bose QC35.

SaganIsGOAT

Did you ever think that just maybe, some of us just don't think it is a big deal? I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. And we aren't wrong for not minding the 3.5mm removal.

BFIB

I'm excited for the airpods, I'm part of the problem I guess

People are going to have their opinions, I have mine, but yours is yours. If your excited for what Apple is bringing, then thats your opinion and decision making.

The phone, besides the removal of the headphone jack, looks fantastic. Especially the Plus with the camera options.

DOWN

Banned

Have you ever used an iPhone from a UK provider? Companies such as O2 put so much of their crap on all phones (including iPhone) and make it a hassle to delete it all.
screaming @ you listing "settings" "camera" etc

BearPawB

Banned
The most important thing to me is battery life.
If removing the headphone jack allowed for even a slightly bigger battery then I am all aboard.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm in the UK and i'm going to get a iPhone 7+ 128GB.

Should I get on my knees or bend over. Which is the least painless method?

Jeffrey

Something i've been wondering, how important is a kickass camera for most people?

Like all I need is a camera that gives me color really. Don't use it that much.

I'd totally take a 'worse camera' if that means it comes with a headphone jack and maybe a price cut while still keeping the A10.

Ashhong

Man everyone complaining about pricing...in the US the pricing has pretty much been the same since iPhone 3G no? Iirc it was always 200$ for the base on contract and 650$ flat out

Struct09

Something i've been wondering, how important is a kickass camera for most people?

I'd totally take a 'worse camera' if that means it comes with a headphone jack and maybe a price cut while still keeping the A10.

I don't need a great camera, but one that does well in low light will be really nice

Kermy

For me, it's the top 3 most important aspects of the phone now that I have a daughter.

I use Snapchat a ton, so getting a better camera, especially a front facing one was a big one for me.

f@luS

More than a member.
Can't decide being matt and gloss black
Can't decide between 7 and 7 plus
Want headphones and a watch too.

Can't afford any of it.
I'm going for 128

Can't decide if 7 or 7+ still .... Zoom ain't that important for me ... I like 7 size much better .... But still ... That camera .... Yet I don't do a lot of photos ... Though decision ...

BearPawB

Banned

I would say it is one of the most important things a phone can have.
I have an OK camera, but it is almost never on me when I want it to be/is a hassle to take along.

Sure, I am not taking professional shots ever. But when I do take pictures I want them to look as nice as possible

Top Bottom