• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

btkadams

The main issue I ended up having with the Moto 360 is my leather band was perfect, but the 3rd party rubber one i bought had issues taking it on and off the watch. I think it was due to sweat, as the rubber band is the one I use at the gym.

How is the Apple watch for changing bands? Easy?
It's insanely easy to change bands. They really nailed that aspect. There's just a little button you hold in on the watch near each end of the band and you slide it out.

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/

OLED display
Faster A11 processor
Glass body
Edge-to-edge display
Camera and Touch ID integrated in display
No Home button
Wireless charging
Three models - One OLED, two standard

OLED curved screen that covers the entire front of the phone, so the home button and Touch ID are embedded into the screen (part of why they made the home button non-physical on this year's device). Also rumors of wireless charging, but those are not as substantiated.
Good lord, yeah definitely staying on my upgrade program.

Camera integrated in display?

I don't understand.

Apple files patent for camera hidden behind display

Submitted in July 2007, the filing details plans for a camera mounted behind a display that could capture an image "while the display elements are in an inactive state (in which the display elements are darkened and at least partially transparent)."

According to the document, a similar, additional system could involve two or more cameras, with software combining the two images into one. Video would also be possible by cycling the display "between the active state and the inactive state repeatedly."

However, this doesn't necessarily mean a 'dark spot' would appear on the screen during photos, or even start flashing during video capture.

Basically they want to integrate the front facing camera and the home button into the actual screen.

Is this the easiest way for all carriers, or should do it though their site (T-Mobile)?

Sorry, never been in on this before, but I want to take advantage of the trade in and whatnot.

Sorry. I've been on AT&T for all of my iPhone purchases, so that's the carrier I have experience with. Hopefully someone around here who has gone through purchasing a T-Mobile phone can shed some light on how exactly it works.

Milly79

I don't know if this a known thing but piano black apparently is 128 or 256 only. At least here in Canada.

I asked T-Mobile about this today and they told me all the colors were available in all sizes. Didn't sound right to me, but idk. I'm not really up to date on everything.

That would be pretty great.

Yeah, I'm excited for something like this mock-up.

iphoneconceptimage.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
Sure but the screen should still be rectangular. Or at least not as curved as that mock-up. And obviously there shouldn't be a speaker hole right in the middle of it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
*Catches

• You have to stay with them for two years.
  • Phone needs to be paid off completely.

Yup. This makes the next year's upgrade more difficult and costly.

I'm ditching t-mobile's Jump on Demand and going with the Apple upgrade program to ensure I get predictable yearly upgrades with no runaround.

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah, I'm excited for something like this mock-up.

From the patent it looks like you wouldn't even be able to see a camera was there. It would just exist behind the screen?
And the speaker would clearly be up top.

I also wonder how full screen phones will work for cases. Hard to protect a phone screen when you can't have something pressing in from the front

Anyone see any good 7plus cases that are actually shipping?
Spigen usually has ones I like, but they don't ship until october.

Mr.Fresh

For anybody going threw T-mobile. Preorders Start tomorrow in store and online. If you have jump make sure 50% of your phone is paid off before hand. If have Jump on demand make sure your phone is in good condition,(ie Cracks, water Damage). Have any questions feel free to ask.

Yup. This makes the next year's upgrade more difficult and costly.

I'm ditching t-mobile's Jump on Demand and going with the Apple upgrade program to ensure I get predictable yearly upgrades with no runaround.
Do you know the process? I want to do the same thing, a smoother upgrade process and apple care is too enticing.

TheZink

I think I'm in for a black 128 plus with the gray leather case. I have a 6s plus now but my wife is using a 5s. She'll inherit my 6s plus.

For anybody going threw T-mobile. Preorders Start tomorrow in store and online. If you have jump make sure 50% of your phone is paid off before hand. If have Jump on demand make sure your phone is in good condition,(ie Cracks, water Damage). Have any questions feel free to ask.
Yeah im JUMP eligible but I want to move to apples upgrade program what's that process like.

Struct09

Apple's upgrade program seems like a decent deal since it includes Apple Care. Are there any gotcha's by going with Apple?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Do you know the process? I want to do the same thing, a smoother upgrade process and apple care is too enticing.

I'm selling my current 6s and 6s+ locally and paying off the JoD balance once I get the new iPhone 7+s.

With T-Mobile I believe I'm kind of fucked for the preorder. I know I will not be able to enroll in the Upgrade program until I go into an Apple store. This means I will likely miss initial shipment because T-Mobile vs Apple fuckery.

I will go in to an Apple store tomorrow to see if I can preorder. If they won't let me I will have to show up on release day and see what happens.

kaskade

I'm curious if they are going to go with an S upgrade for the next iPhone. All the OLED, edge to edge stuff seems like a full jump to an 8.

I do feel like the 7 could've fallen under an S cycle since the design is largely the same. The feature bumps are great but nothing mind blowing. We usually end up getting a better camera, some sort of little upgrades here and there. I'm just thankful for the iPhone upgrade program because whenever that new one comes out, I'm there.

Ashhong

If I want to upgrade my plan on contract pricing with Verizon, can I reserve and buy from Apple store? Or do I need to go through Verizon? I'm upgrade eligible

The people saying they regret the Plus because it is too big are making me nervous. I'm currently on a 6 and want that two camera life.

It's fine. I actually think its too damn thin. I keep feeling like it's going to slip out of my hand when I use it without a case.

Also the new phones are going up for preorders tonight at midnight PST right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope, considering sterling has dropped about 10.7% against the dollar

The also be hedging against future drops. Apple don't update prices until events like this so any exchange rate being used will have to carry them through until next year for iPhone

It is insane through. Now I know what it feels like to be Canadian

Fliesen

i can't help but feel like everyone waiting for next year's iPhone to be an edge-to-edge-curved-OLED-screen-with-everything-behind-the-display unicorn of a phone just because it's the iPhone's 10th birthday is going to be super disappointed when they release an iPhone 7S.

sure, the iPhone 7 looks pretty similar to the 6 and 6S, but i don't think this is going to be some sort of stopgap generation. Apple's so supply chain focussed, no way they're only going to be using this shell and those internals and the new home button construction just for 1 year.
(it's mostly the fact that they changed the home button in a meaningful way THIS gen, that i don't believe they're going to remove it altogether next gen)

if the iPhone 8 is the be-all-end-all iPhone iteration i'm gonna take the 1-year jump, i guess, but i have serious doubts that these rumors are anywhere close to true.

gonna pre-order my 128 gig matte black tomorrow. i have NO idea yet whether it's gonna be a regular sized or a plus. i mostly take pics of my cats, so i REALLY think i should opt for the smaller model, for ergonomic and cost reasons... but that bokeh.

and i can't wait to read some beatsX reviews. those sound like amazing casual-but-also-sports headphones.

border

Apple's upgrade program seems like a decent deal since it includes Apple Care. Are there any gotcha's by going with Apple?

You have to be on a postpaid plan with one of the major carriers. I have no idea why, other than Apple always wants to treat prepaid users like second class citizens.

Interfectum

i can't help but feel like everyone waiting for next year's iPhone to be an edge-to-edge-curved-OLED-screen-with-everything-behind-the-display unicorn of a phone just because it's the iPhone's 10th birthday is going to be super disappointed when they release an iPhone 7S.

sure, the iPhone 7 looks pretty similar to the 6 and 6S, but i don't think this is going to be some sort of stopgap generation. Apple's so supply chain focussed, no way they're only going to be using this shell and those internals and the new home button construction just for 1 year.
(it's mostly the fact that they changed the home button in a meaningful way THIS gen, that i don't believe they're going to remove it altogether next gen)

if the iPhone 8 is the be-all-end-all iPhone iteration i'm gonna take the 1-year jump, i guess, but i have serious doubts that these rumors are anywhere close to true.

Yeah I think it's always dangerous to take the "I'll wait for next year's" approach because it could lead to you always waiting.

If the iPhone 2017 is some crazy revolutionary device then one could argue to wait until the next year until they iron out all the kinks.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm selling my current 6s and 6s+ locally and paying off the JoD balance once I get the new iPhone 7+s.

With T-Mobile I believe I'm kind of fucked for the preorder. I know I will not be able to enroll in the Upgrade program until I go into an Apple store. This means I will likely miss initial shipment because T-Mobile vs Apple fuckery.

I will go in to an Apple store tomorrow to see if I can preorder. If they won't let me I will have to show up on release day and see what happens.

When it's time to preorder on apple's site, make a reservation and select your phones. You go in during your appointment and get it done then. That's how it was last year.

They don't check accounts or anything like that when you make your reservation, so you can sell your phones right before your appointment. I'd make sure everything is cool when it comes to the Apple upgrade plan beforehand though.

All I know is that the next iPhone is either going to be the most amazing device ever or the most disappointing one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's GAFs opinion on the 42mm watch?
Silver aluminum case or space gray aluminum case?

Probably picking up a series 1 and can't decide between the two. It will be mostly worn with business casual attire.

Cheap discounted stainless steel. Love mine and cost about the same as a new sport

If that isn't an option then the black - I find the silver aluminium doesn't look great. All subjective though - try and see them in the flesh

Fliesen

Yeah I think it's always dangerous to take the "I'll wait for next year's" approach because it could lead to you always waiting.

If the iPhone 2017 is some crazy revolutionary device then one could argue to wait until the next year until they iron out all the kinks.

yeah, remember when this was rumored to be the iPhone 5
iPhone5_mockup.jpg
with everyone citing plausible sources?

unless we see component leaks, those rumors will be nothing but rumors.

What's GAFs opinion on the 42mm watch?
Silver aluminum case or space gray aluminum case?

Probably picking up a series 1 and can't decide between the two. It will be mostly worn with business casual attire.

space grey goes great for business but also casual look, and it does a good job of hiding the huge bezels of the display. mine's yet to show any sign of wear (if you're afraid the black aluminum scratches easily).

iPhone5_mockup.jpg

At the very least it seems likely that the next iPhone will have an OLED screen.

icespide

Banned
iPhone5_mockup.jpg

space grey goes great for business but also casual look, and it does a good job of hiding the huge bezels of the display. mine's yet to show any sign of wear (if you're afraid the black aluminum scratches easily).

I agree with you mostly, however, in the last few years iPhone rumors/leaks have become increasingly more reliable

Top Bottom