• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Spruchy

Is there any tricks to landing a pre-order besides waking up on time?

I remember one Apple product release that using the Apple Store app gave you a better shot of locking down an item.

I'm all in for the 128GB 7+, but gloss black or matte black finish?!?!

Also waiting to laugh
Honestly cry really
at the Rogers pricing...

Something i've been wondering, how important is a kickass camera for most people?

Like all I need is a camera that gives me color really. Don't use it that much.

I'd totally take a 'worse camera' if that means it comes with a headphone jack and maybe a price cut while still keeping the A10.

For me it's up there. I have a pretty nice DSLR, but carrying that thing around can be a pain. Nice to be able to just have a really solid camera on a phone because it's with you at all times. Phone makers seem to think it's important too since you always see Apple and Samsung touting their camera improvements. People killed the early HTC M line for having poor cameras and praise the LG phones for having good ones. I think for a majority of people regardless of OS choice it is pretty important.

I remember one Apple product release that using the Apple Store app gave you a better shot of locking down an item.

Use the Apple Store app. Go in there today and make sure your payment info is up to date, and find the phone you want to order and add it to your favorites list in the app. That is the quickest to be able to order the exact model phone you want I have found.

DOWN

Banned
Lol @ bitter people pretending Apple removed the jack to sell adapters. Yes, that's why they removed disc drives, floppy drives, FireWire, 30-pin connectors - because once they remove them, we don't end up with good alternative and keep buying adaptors for 10 years

Please. They flat out showed off why they ditched it. Bigger batteries, better cameras, Taptic feedback, and new wireless chips. Wireless headphones are growing fast and Apple gives you Lightning headphones and an adapter if you must.

moving

Neo Member
Former Japan resident here, and there's pretty much no difference if you're just buying the unit. I bought my 6S at an Apple Store at Omotesando and was there for 15 minutes tops (including the time spent shopping for accessories and having the phone activated).

The process is much longer if you go through a local carrier (Softbank, AU, Docomo...). What takes time is filling up the forms and getting the sim card activated, not getting the actual phone itself. It's worse when you go to a high-traffic store as the wait could stretch hours, so better find a smaller, quieter shop where they can serve you faster.

Thanks for the reply! Might be worth considering getting from an Apple Store then. Which carrier did you go with? I'm going to need calls (SMS not so much so) or at least the ability to do so. I don't know whether to go with one of the three you listed, or an MVNO.

What would you recommend as an entire process? Searching online has so many mixed results and I don't know what's best. Also might be worth pointing out my initial contract is a year, but I plan on staying longer.

Unrelated. Those with iOS experience in recent years, should I go for 32GB or 128GB? I've had my current 64GB Android phone for 2 years and I've used 14GB, with majority of my photos and videos stored in Google Photos. Is iOS much of a storage hog in terms of apps and caches or whatever?

Thanks for the reply! Might be worth considering getting from an Apple Store then. Which carrier did you go with? I'm going to need calls (SMS not so much so) or at least the ability to do so. I don't know whether to go with one of the three you listed, or an MVNO.

What would you recommend as an entire process? Searching online has so many mixed results and I don't know what's best. Also might be worth pointing out my initial contract is a year, but I plan on staying longer.

Unrelated. Those with iOS experience in later years, should I go for 32GB or 128GB? I've had my current 64GB Android phone for 2 years and I've used 14GB, with majority of my photos and videos stored in Google Photos. Is iOS much of a storage hog in terms of apps and caches or whatever?

If you're frugal with storage - no big apps that you don't use much taking up space, back up photos occasionally, don't have mug music - 32gb will be fine. It can fill up very, very quickly however. It's up to you whether the cost is worth the convenience of higher storage.

Jeffrey

Didn't do it last year, but in the past the mobile apps typically is the best option. Just make sure to get everything done at 3am est and hope for the best.

I don't need a great camera, but one that does well in low light will be really nice

For me, it's the top 3 most important aspects of the phone now that I have a daughter.

I use Snapchat a ton, so getting a better camera, especially a front facing one was a big one for me.

I would say it is one of the most important things a phone can have.
I have an OK camera, but it is almost never on me when I want it to be/is a hassle to take along.

Sure, I am not taking professional shots ever. But when I do take pictures I want them to look as nice as possible

For me it's up there. I have a pretty nice DSLR, but carrying that thing around can be a pain. Nice to be able to just have a really solid camera on a phone because it's with you at all times. Phone makers seem to think it's important too since you always see Apple and Samsung touting their camera improvements. People killed the early HTC M line for having poor cameras and praise the LG phones for having good ones. I think for a majority of people regardless of OS choice it is pretty important.

hmmm makes sense. Maybe i should get a pet or a kid or something lol. Still would be nice if Apple had a few more options though. They don't need to go full overboard like how samsung has a dozen Galaxy variants, but I guess the appeal of apple is 'simplicity' in terms of models, although there does seem to be a growing divide between the normal and 'plus' versions in terms of features.

BFIB

Lol @ bitter people pretending Apple removed the jack to sell adapters. Yes, that's why they removed disc drives, floppy drives, FireWire, 30-pin connectors - because once they remove them, we don't end up with good alternative and keep buying adaptors for 10 years

Please. They flat out showed off why they ditched it. Bigger batteries, better cameras, Taptic feedback, and new wireless chips. Wireless headphones are growing fast and Apple gives you Lightning headphones and an adapter if you must.

The Note 7 managed to input a larger battery (jokes aside), larger camera optics, larger screen size than the iPhone 7 Plus, expandable storage slot and an S-Pen standard. And it still has the aux. input. All of this done in a smaller chassis than the iPhone 7 Plus.

This is Apple forcing their proprietary method, plain and simple. They hate the idea of anyone using that aux. port for something they can't have control over. There really was no reason for the haptic engine to be installed. The home button worked fine, just the way it was before. Besides, if they feel that aux. is old, outdated, then why feel the need to soften the news by including the dongle in the first place?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Leaning towards the silver instead of the matte black. My last 3 iPhones have had a black bezel, so I might switch it up this time.
You might regret that descision. White iPhones look so tacky and bezels are ugly in person. I'll never get another white iPhone again, and it seems like everyone has a white iPhone. Especially people around my age, teens. I'm going Jet Black 128GB, with no case as always.

-d0hv

kaskade

Leaning towards the silver instead of the matte black. My last 3 iPhones have had a black bezel, so I might switch it up this time.

I'm in this dilemma too. I was set on getting the silver but I like the new black. I figure I'll just get whatever is in stock at 128gb. Thought of getting the 32 gb but I might shoot some more 4k video.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am going glossy black with an extra slim clear case.

My next issue is when will Best Buy have the Watch 2 up for pre-order (I have $300 in gift cards there).

emag

Unrelated. Those with iOS experience in recent years, should I go for 32GB or 128GB? I've had my current 64GB Android phone for 2 years and I've used 14GB, with majority of my photos and videos stored in Google Photos. Is iOS much of a storage hog in terms of apps and caches or whatever?

32 GB is enough for me. I don't carry around much media any more -- I stream movies/TV, backup/delete photos often, and mostly listen to a handful of podcasts and albums. I don't install a lot of apps that I don't use, either. YMMV.

Something i've been wondering, how important is a kickass camera for most people?

A high-quality camera is extremely important if you have young kids (or maybe just go places with family/friends overall?).

DOWN

Banned
The people saying they regret the Plus because it is too big are making me nervous. I'm currently on a 6 and want that two camera life.

BearPawB

Banned
The people saying they regret the Plus because it is too big are making me nervous. I'm currently on a 6 and want that two camera life.

I love the plus and can't imagine going back to a smaller phone.
Whenever I have to use my wife's it is like playing with a toy

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I use a Plus now and love it. I tried a regular size for a week and did not like it because typing is harder and it's just a much smaller area to view media and apps.

Just get the plus with a slim case and you're fine.

Jeffrey

Took me a week to get used to the 6+ size.

Apple has 14 day return policy, why not get the big one first and try it?

In the past there was always the smaller ones in stock, harder to find the big one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How could I charge and still listen to earphones?

The Note 7 managed to input a larger battery (jokes aside), larger camera optics, larger screen size than the iPhone 7 Plus, expandable storage slot and an S-Pen standard. And it still has the aux. input. All of this done in a smaller chassis than the iPhone 7 Plus.

This is Apple forcing their proprietary method, plain and simple. They hate the idea of anyone using that aux. port for something they can't have control over. There really was no reason for the haptic engine to be installed. The home button worked fine, just the way it was before. Besides, if they feel that aux. is old, outdated, then why feel the need to soften the news by including the dongle in the first place?

I believe (and this is just my speculation) the reason they removed the travel of the home button and installed the haptic engine is that they are getting everyone used to the idea of that kind of button for when they integrate it and Touch ID into the screen next year. Maybe a wild theory, but if the rumors are true about next year's iPhone it was going to be inevitable that the haptic engine was going to have to be used, and likely the headphone jack was gone next year anyways especially if they are going to shrink the chassis on next year's phone. Take whatever bad publicity they get for the aux jack removal this year so that next year everyone is talking about their crazy redesign instead of talking about how the pulled the jack on the 10 anniversary phone.

Of course they also have the added benefit of pushing their own proprietary standard with Lightning as well.

How could I charge and still listen to earphones?

Only way I know of as of now is to buy the Apple dock.

DOWN

Banned
I love the plus and can't imagine going back to a smaller phone.
Whenever I have to use my wife's it is like playing with a toy

I use a Plus now and love it. I tried a regular size for a week and did not like it because typing is harder and it's just a much smaller area to view media and apps.

Just get the plus with a slim case and you're fine.

Took me a week to get used to the 6+ size.

Apple has 14 day return policy, why not get the big one first and try it?

In the past there was always the smaller ones in stock, harder to find the big one.
Thanks y'all. TV size iPhone it is then

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What's GAFs opinion on the 42mm watch?
Silver aluminum case or space gray aluminum case?

Probably picking up a series 1 and can't decide between the two. It will be mostly worn with business casual attire.

I don't know why anyone would opt for this year's phone over next year's. I know the "always next year" thinking in general isn't a good idea, but next year predicts to be such a massive upgrade and overhaul that even I am breaking my "every other iPhone" rule and sticking with the 6 Plus for another year. Plus, it gives them a year to work out a lot of issues with whatever the consequences of removing the aux port become.

icespide

Banned
I don't know why anyone would opt for this year's phone over next year's. I know the "always next year" thinking in general isn't a good idea, but next year predicts to be such a massive upgrade and overhaul that even I am breaking my "every other iPhone" rule and sticking with the 6 Plus for another year. Plus, it gives them a year to work out a lot of issues with whatever the consequences of removing the aux port become.
a lot of people are on yearly upgrade plans now and just get every phone

SuperPac

Going with regular-sized 7, 128GB, matte black

Coming from a 6s Plus. I initially liked the bigger screen especially for games but I have an iPad Pro 9.7" which is better for that big screen experience in games/movies. And, I irrationally hate the landscape springboard and email views on the Plus. Rotation lock is not a good solution for me for that, so I'm bowing out!

What's GAFs opinion on the 42mm watch?
Silver aluminum case or space gray aluminum case?

Probably picking up a series 1 and can't decide between the two. It will be mostly worn with business casual attire.

I went for the silver aluminium case as I felt it would go with more of the straps.

DOWN

Banned
I think many of the people saying they want this year's, including myself, also plan on getting next year's model. So there's nothing lost really. We're ready to get all the upgrades all the time.

What are the actual rumor's for next year's phone?

OLED curved screen that covers the entire front of the phone, so the home button and Touch ID are embedded into the screen (part of why they made the home button non-physical on this year's device). Also rumors of wireless charging, but those are not as substantiated.

dc89

Camera, Photos, Health, Messages, Phone, FaceTime, Stocks, Voice Memos, Podcasts, Mail, Music, Wallet, Safari, Maps, Siri, Tips, Find My iPhone, Settings, Calendar, iTunes Store, App Store, Notes, News, Contacts, Calculator, Compass, Watch, iBooks, Home, Weather, Reminders, Clock, Videos, iCloud Drive, and Find My Friends.

Have you ever used an iPhone from a UK provider? Companies such as O2 put so much of their crap on all phones (including iPhone) and make it a hassle to delete it all.

I've had iPhone from o2 since the 3G (would have got a 2G if they ever had stock) and I have NEVER had anything pre-installed on it outside what comes with the phone from Apple.

DOWN

Banned
So I am new to the Apple Watch but what the hell is up with band pricing?

http://www.apple.com/shop/watch/bands
Some of these go up to $600. The base brown leather one is $150.

I currently have a Moto 360 and the bands were never more than $50. Crazy.
Apple suggests that their design and quality is that of fashion watches, unlike other smart watches. The press speculates Apple is trying to price them for appeal in the watch and accessories market, rather than simply as foreign electronics. They do advertise the watch in Vogue, after all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apple suggests that their design and quality is that of fashion watches, unlike other smart watches. The press speculates Apple is trying to price them for appeal in the watch and accessories market, rather than simply as foreign electronics. They do advertise the watch in Vogue, after all.

Interesting. I may have to get a 3rd party leather band then, not paying $150 for a band.

a lot of people are on yearly upgrade plans now and just get every phone

I'm doing it because I'm going on the iPhone Upgrade Plan and will just get a new phone every year. With 2 year contracts disappearing, I don't see any reason for myself to not upgrade every year.

Kermy

I believe (and this is just my speculation) the reason they removed the travel of the home button and installed the haptic engine is that they are getting everyone used to the idea of that kind of button for when they integrate it and Touch ID into the screen next year. Maybe a wild theory, but if the rumors are true about next year's iPhone it was going to be inevitable that the haptic engine was going to have to be used, and likely the headphone jack was gone next year anyways especially if they are going to shrink the chassis on next year's phone. Take whatever bad publicity they get for the aux jack removal this year so that next year everyone is talking about their crazy redesign instead of talking about how the pulled the jack on the 10 anniversary phone.

Of course they also have the added benefit of pushing their own proprietary standard with Lightning as well.

Only way I know of as of now is to buy the Apple dock.

I agree.

btkadams

So I am new to the Apple Watch but what the hell is up with band pricing?

http://www.apple.com/shop/watch/bands
Some of these go up to $600. The base brown leather one is $150.

I currently have a Moto 360 and the bands were never more than $50. Crazy.

Interesting. I may have to get a 3rd party leather band then, not paying $150 for a band.
For leather, I would definitely just get a 3rd party band. It's far too much for the Apple ones IMO. The sport bands are debateable. You can find knockoffs for much cheaper on amazon (and even more colours!) but they definitely feel cheap compared to the apple ones. I have a mix of Apple sport bands and knockoffs.

dc89

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/

OLED display
Faster A11 processor
Glass body
Edge-to-edge display
Camera and Touch ID integrated in display
No Home button
Wireless charging
Three models - One OLED, two standard

OLED curved screen that covers the entire front of the phone, so the home button and Touch ID are embedded into the screen (part of why they made the home button non-physical on this year's device). Also rumors of wireless charging, but those are not as substantiated.

£1200 for a 256GB OLED model.
I ain't even kidding.

Milly79

Use the Apple Store app. Go in there today and make sure your payment info is up to date, and find the phone you want to order and add it to your favorites list in the app. That is the quickest to be able to order the exact model phone you want I have found.

Is this the easiest way for all carriers, or should do it though their site (T-Mobile)?

Sorry, never been in on this before, but I want to take advantage of the trade in and whatnot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For leather, I would definitely just get a 3rd party band. It's far too much for the Apple ones IMO. The sport bands are debateable. You can find knockoffs for much cheaper on amazon (and even more colours!) but they definitely feel cheap compared to the apple ones. I have a mix of Apple sport bands and knockoffs.

The main issue I ended up having with the Moto 360 is my leather band was perfect, but the 3rd party rubber one i bought had issues taking it on and off the watch. I think it was due to sweat, as the rubber band is the one I use at the gym.

How is the Apple watch for changing bands? Easy?

Piano Black, here I come (scratches and all.) That said, no way I'm standing in line for it; I'll wait a month or two, or until I can just waltz in and get one.

Top Bottom