• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Vyer

i can't help but feel like everyone waiting for next year's iPhone to be an edge-to-edge-curved-OLED-screen-with-everything-behind-the-display unicorn of a phone just because it's the iPhone's 10th birthday is going to be super disappointed when they release an iPhone 7S.

sure, the iPhone 7 looks pretty similar to the 6 and 6S, but i don't think this is going to be some sort of stopgap generation. Apple's so supply chain focussed, no way they're only going to be using this shell and those internals and the new home button construction just for 1 year.
(it's mostly the fact that they changed the home button in a meaningful way THIS gen, that i don't believe they're going to remove it altogether next gen)

if the iPhone 8 is the be-all-end-all iPhone iteration i'm gonna take the 1-year jump, i guess, but i have serious doubts that these rumors are anywhere close to true.

gonna pre-order my 128 gig matte black tomorrow. i have NO idea yet whether it's gonna be a regular sized or a plus. i mostly take pics of my cats, so i REALLY think i should opt for the smaller model, for ergonomic and cost reasons... but that bokeh.

and i can't wait to read some beatsX reviews. those sound like amazing casual-but-also-sports headphones.

Yeah basing everything on sketchy rumors and patent filings is generally pretty risky.

FStop7

Banned
I have a stupid question.

If you're going to remove the headphone jack then why not add a second Lightning port?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
When it's time to preorder on apple's site, make a reservation and select your phones. You go in during your appointment and get it done then. That's how it was last year.

They don't check accounts or anything like that when you make your reservation, so you can sell your phones right before your appointment. I'd make sure everything is cool when it comes to the Apple upgrade plan beforehand though.

Did T-Mobile say "in store only" at that time?
During checkout there is literally no option for the upgrade program like there is on other carriers. This tells me there will be no online option for me in a few hours.

I have a stupid question.

If you're going to remove the headphone jack then why not add a second Lightning port?

Because I think the biggest reason for the removal of the jack was that they wanted more space. Two lightning ports would also be kind of goofy, I could understand two USB-C ports though.

Yeah, I'm excited for something like this mock-up.

iphoneconceptimage.jpg

That kerning is hurting my soul.

But it could be cool. They would probably use their iPad Pro palm detection software to make sure the sides don't trigger taps when you hold it.

DOWN

Banned
Use the Apple Store app. Go in there today and make sure your payment info is up to date, and find the phone you want to order and add it to your favorites list in the app. That is the quickest to be able to order the exact model phone you want I have found.
I don't see a way to add the actual phone as a favorite

During checkout there is literally no option for the upgrade program like there is on other carriers. This tells me there will be no online option for me in a few hours.

Huh, you're right. If you go to the end it even says "Unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile SIM" instead of, for example, "Unlocked Phone Connected to Sprint" if you follow the same options

T-Mobile has been changing their activation policy a LOT in the last year for what Apple Stores can and cannot do. I wouldn't be surprised if they cracked down on this as well

Mortemis

Banned

Zeyphersan or whomever can correct me if I'm wrong, but all you need to do is reserve the phone, and at the store you tell them you're doing the upgrade plan.

Edit: actually not sure now. Nvm

Directly from the iPhone 7 Plus Apple Store Page:

"You can enroll in the iPhone Upgrade Program online with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon Wireless.
To enroll with T-Mobile, visit an Apple Store"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Zephyrsan or whomever can correct me if I'm wrong, but all you need to do is reserve the phone, and at the store you tell them you're doing the upgrade plan.

So at preorder checkout for an unlocked $749 phone I don't have to pay?

mid83

The people saying they regret the Plus because it is too big are making me nervous. I'm currently on a 6 and want that two camera life.

I don't regret the plus for a moment and I was hesitant to get it last year. I jumped on with the plus initially because of better battery life and now I can't imagine having to go back down to a smaller screen. You get used to the size pretty quick in my opinion.

KidJr

I'm trying to decide between this and Note 7, I know this is going to destroy anything android related in terms of speed but does anyone have any idea how much better the camera on the 7 plus will be than the note 7?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The people saying they regret the Plus because it is too big are making me nervous. I'm currently on a 6 and want that two camera life.

If it helps my wife has tiny hands and has always had smaller phones including the 6s.

After a hear of her handling my 6s+ and her 6s she is chomping at the bit for the 7+ this year.

I went with my brother last year to get a 6S unlocked. Reserved it and didn't pay until I got to the store.

I guess I'll try to place a preorder for an unlocked version tonight. If it doesn't make me pay I'll pull the switcheroo on them at the last minute during my appointment.

Really hoping it doesn't make me pay upfront for the preorder.

Zeyphersan or whomever can correct me if I'm wrong, but all you need to do is reserve the phone, and at the store you tell them you're doing the upgrade plan.

Edit: actually not sure now. Nvm

So at preorder checkout for an unlocked $749 phone I don't have to pay?

If nothing else it should still let you reserve one for in-store, since that's just putting stock on hold in your name

But this whole thing is very weird, yes

ReAxion

starting to debate pre-ordering... my 6 is doing fine, but I wanna get max value on the trade-in b/c I've been such a good boy with this one.

Fliesen

At the very least it seems likely that the next iPhone will have an OLED screen.

possibly, and probably at a higher resolution, but they're not going to change the industrial design in an "S" generation, imho.

I agree with you mostly, however, in the last few years iPhone rumors/leaks have become increasingly more reliable

yeah, but not ... 14 months in advance. and not on the "S" generation ;)

Kinyou

Does the touchscreen still work when it's wet? The ad shows her using it in the rain but my usual experience with touchscreens is that they go haywire if you're fingers are wet.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Does the touchscreen still work when it's wet? The ad shows her using it in the rain but my usual experience with touchscreens is that they go haywire if you're fingers are wet.

No way it will still operate. It just won't fuck up your phone as easily.

What happens if I click "I'd like to enroll" in the app right now?

Past this step in my screenshot?

Um. It never gave me that option in the app, but I'm guessing you are doing it on the mobile web so I believe click you'd like to enroll (it won't let you enroll right now) and then somewhere on the next page will be a heart icon to add to favorites.

Mortemis

Banned
possibly, and probably at a higher resolution, but they're not going to change the industrial design in an "S" generation, imho.

How much time and money actually went into this "new" design though. It has the same look and dimensions as last year's iPhone.

Fliesen

Wait, what's causing that on the camera lens?!

you mean the white stuff?

it's called 'reflections' :p

How much time and money actually went into this "new" design though. It has the same look and dimensions as last year's iPhone.

but that 2nd speaker grill on the bottom! and that new, fancier camera bump! ;)
still, it's a supply chain thing imho. these shells are going to be re-used for next year's iPhone.

the "S" generation usually just gets better components, like a 'better' home button (5S), a 'better' screen (force touch), all those under the hood improvements - the hood itself rarely changes. I don't see Apple breaking with their tick-tock phone rhythm.
but i'll gladly eat crow.

Guess Who

Banned

Yeah, you can tell they focus on the jet black model in marketing shots because it's the only one that doesn't look like a 6/6S.

Hey can I upgrade at an Apple store, choose the device payment plan, and be eligible for Verizons yearly upgrade? Or do I have to buy through Verizon to be eligible for that?

They don't provide that option online, just two year contracts. They might have the option in-store but I honestly don't know. Things change a lot. I want to say yes, since I know they've had that option in the past, but I won't find out what's changed until Friday

DOWN

Banned
Nothing. Preorders aren't up yet.
It took me to the last page where you continue to pay and let me just add it to favorites but not continue further
Um. It never gave me that option in the app, but I'm guessing you are doing it on the mobile web so I believe click you'd like to enroll (it won't let you enroll right now) and then somewhere on the next page will be a heart icon to add to favorites.
I was in the app. I clicked the enroll option and the heart appeared on the Order page and wouldn't let me click order. Thanks

DOWN

Banned

All leaks and rumors point to Apple's suppliers getting ready for a big update next year and doing away with any 7S possibilities

Hey diablos, you should be able to reserve in store, even if the T-Mobile phone doesn't explicitly give you the option of the iUP program because it's in-store only. So it'll look like you're reserving it to buy it at once, but once you actually go to the location it should be fine

Of course I don't know what the screens after the greyed out "continue" one look like, so I'm making an educated guess here

nullref

I'm doing research myself, but I figured I'd ask this here as well. I'm currently on AT&T with an old iPhone 5, and will definitely be getting a 7. (My wife is on the same plan with an iPhone 6 -- both phones are unlocked and were bought outright.) We're considering moving to T-Mobile at some point, mostly due to better Canadian roaming. We live in the Seattle area.

Are there any really significant upgrade deals available, or is everything just variations on an installment plan? (I have no issues just buying the phone upfront, if there are no significant discounts to be had.)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hey diablos, you should be able to reserve in store, even if the T-Mobile phone doesn't explicitly give you the option of the iUP program because it's in-store only. So it'll look like you're reserving it to buy it at once, but once you actually go to the location it should be fine

Of course I don't know what the screens after the greyed out "continue" one look like, so I'm making an educated guess here

That's what I'm hoping. I've added both full priced versions to my favorites. I'll try to reserve them when preorders go live. If it charges my CC I'm screwed, but if it just sets a store appointment I'm golden.

Fliesen

Honestly everything about the 7 feels like an S generation. I wouldn't be surprised if they go all out next year.

what's your definition of an "S" generation?

because, other than the dimensions and screen resolutions remaining the same, pretty much everything about the iPhone 7 is kinda new, right?
* new stereo speakers
* 2 new colors
* new cameras (even more so on the plus)
* new home button functionality (via the haptic engine)

i see the 7S getting a hi-res OLED screen and maybe the dual cameras moving down to the non-plus model. and maybe pen support or some shit like that.

I just don't see Apple - as courageous as they may be - to break with their traditions. Their predictability totally adds to their success. People knowing their bi-yearly rhythm that matches the prevalent 2-year provider lock-ins / upgrade programs. Always knowing when the next iPhone's going to be released. - i think that's something they're not going to give up that easily.

but i'll gladly be proven wrong.

that's his whole point, it's too early to call those leaks reliable yet

even though, to be fair, the first rumors that pointed to the iPhone 7 dropping the headphone jack were reported on in Nov '15.
Let's just wait and see.
What i don't believe to be reasonable is to treat said rumors as the kind of certain fact that some are doing in this thread. "don't upgrade, because next year's model is going to be XYZ"

what's your definition of an "S" generation?

because, other than the dimensions and screen resolutions remaining the same, pretty much everything about the iPhone 7 is kinda new, right?
* new stereo speakers
* 2 new colors
* new cameras (even more so on the plus)
* new home button functionality (via the haptic engine)

i see the 7S getting a hi-res OLED screen and maybe the dual cameras moving down to the non-plus model. and maybe pen support or some shit like that.

I just don't see Apple - as courageous as they may be - to break with their traditions. Their predictability totally adds to their success. People knowing their bi-yearly rhythm that matches the prevalent 2-year provider lock-ins / upgrade programs. Always knowing when the next iPhone's going to be released. - i think that's something they're not going to give up that easily.

but i'll gladly be proven wrong.

even though, to be fair, the first rumors that pointed to the iPhone 7 dropping the headphone jack were reported on in Nov '15.

Isn't the new stereo speaker just an improved top speaker? Besides that the single biggest addition is the new home button. I think it's a good phone but there's just no real wow factor like we've come to expect from non "s" phones.

Branson

On the apple upgrade plan can you pay off more and get a smaller payment? Or do you have to actually pay that per month?

Ashhong

They don't provide that option online, just two year contracts. They might have the option in-store but I honestly don't know. Things change a lot. I want to say yes, since I know they've had that option in the past, but I won't find out what's changed until Friday

Interesting..because I want to do the yearly upgrade but I'd rather not pay the extra 5$ a month for included Apple Care.

What about trading in a phone when signing up for iUP? Can I trade in my 6 and get it towards my 7?

icespide

Banned
hmm no word from corporate yet if they're doing the "employee only iPhone purchases" at the Infinite Loop apple store yet. starting to get worried I'll have to stay up and preorder like a regular normal

I've seen some say the prices for the iPhone have gone up this year. Does that include in the US? I'm normally on top of this type of shit, but I haven't paid all that much attention to the prices for the 6S line because I don't have one.

On the apple upgrade plan can you pay off more and get a smaller payment? Or do you have to actually pay that per month?

Nope, payments are fixed. You can if you do iPhone Installment Program, but that option doesn't have yearly upgrades or AppleCare

Interesting..because I want to do the yearly upgrade but I'd rather not pay the extra 5$ a month for included Apple Care.

What about trading in a phone when signing up for iUP? Can I trade in my 6 and get it towards my 7?

When trading a phone in for iUP they give you the value of the phone back as a credit on whatever credit card you signed up with. It doesn't reduce the monthly payments

Top Bottom