• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

iPhone7TradeInPricing.jpg

I have 2 iPhone 5 laying around, though they show signs of use. Should I go for this trade in deal?

Jeffrey

I've seen some say the prices for the iPhone have gone up this year. Does that include in the US? I'm normally on top of this type of shit, but I haven't paid all that much attention to the prices for the 6S line because I don't have one.

7 is the same as 6S, 7S is $30 more than last year.

Do note that all the last year's storage 'tiers' were doubled (16-32, 64 - 128 etc).

Fliesen

Isn't the new stereo speaker just an improved top speaker? Besides that the single biggest addition is the new home button. I think it's a good phone but there's just no real wow factor like we've come to expect from non "s" phones.

while i agree to a certain degree, the 'non S' generation did not always have the wow factor you're claiming they had.

Both times, when the 5 and the 6 were revealed, people were underwhelmed by the industrial design, claiming it just to be a "longer iPhone 4" or an altogether "ugly" phone.

The last (and only, beyond the original) iPhone that really wowed people, imho, was the iPhone 4. Any other release, be it a numbered or an "S" generation was often met with a rather mixed response - especially due to the fact that every generation since the iPhone 5 had their shells leaked.

also, it's just an improved top speaker, just a touch button with haptic response, just an entirely waterproof phone, just an entirely new camera construction on the plus model.

What did the 6 have to offer, looking back? it was just a bigger iPhone with NFC for ApplePay that had better performing components (camera / CPU / GPU), but touchID was nothing new, Siri was nothing new, the front facing camera was nothing new, the flash was nothing new, the lightning port was nothing new. Correct me if i'm wrong - but the 6 was rather boring, and it was the most succesful iPhone ever.

(we could go on, seeing as the 5 was just a taller iPhone 4S with an aluminum unibody design and new colors (and better cpugpucameraetc.) - i don't recall any standout 'new' or 'wow' features beyond that.)

icespide

Banned
while i agree to a certain degree, the 'non S' generation did not always have the wow factor you're claiming they had.

Both times, when the 5 and the 6 were revealed, people were underwhelmed by the industrial design, claiming it just to be a "longer iPhone 4" or an altogether "ugly" phone.

The last (and only, beyond the original) iPhone that really wowed people, imho, was the iPhone 4. Any other release, be it a numbered or an "S" generation was often met with a rather mixed response - especially due to the fact that every generation since the iPhone 5 had their shells leaked.

also, it's just an improved top speaker, just a touch button with haptic response, just an entirely waterproof phone, just an entirely new camera construction on the plus model.

What did the 6 have to offer, looking back? it was just a bigger iPhone with NFC for ApplePay that had better performing components (camera / CPU / GPU), but touchID was nothing new, Siri was nothing new, the front facing camera was nothing new, the flash was nothing new, the lightning port was nothing new. Correct me if i'm wrong - but the 6 was rather boring, and it was the most succesful iPhone ever.

The iPhone 5 specifically was the first non S phone that I was completely underwhelmed with the industrial design. It was so similar to the 4 just longer

nullref

So I guess it's confirmed then. Apple.ca. Jet black only available in 128 and 256gb.

This is the case everywhere, not just in Canada.

Either they're using the fancy new finish as a wedge to push people to the higher-margin devices, or the manufacturing cost of the finish eats into their margins enough to make the 32 GB not worthwhile. Probably some of both.

ReAxion

iPhone 7 Buyers Are Ready For Bluetooth

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/blog/2016/iphone-7-buyers-are-ready-for-bluetooth/

In June and July of this year, Bluetooth sales even surpassed that of wired headphones, accounting for 52 percent of sales during those two months.

A recent NPD study, fielded in the days leading up to the iPhone 7 announcement, found 60 percent of likely iPhone 7 purchasers (who expect to buy the phone within the next six months) already intend to buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones within that time frame.

selling even half as many AirPods as they will iPhones is still crazy. Won't have to worry if one of them drops on the ground from your ear, just pick up somebody else's.

Fliesen

The iPhone 5 specifically was the first non S phone that I was completely underwhelmed with the industrial design. It was so similar to the 4 just longer

yeah, i edited that in. It wasn't until the first hands-on reports we got when people were amazed how light the device was and how fancy those chamfered edges looked.

This time around, i think seeing the 7 with your own eyes, that black finish is going to look fantastic. And the water resistance and probably those speakers are going to be amazing features.
If the speakers are really able to output some decent sound akin to a cheap bluetooth speaker, that's kind of a tiny game changer.

but seriously, when it comes to Apple, people are being super revisionist when it comes to the reception of any certain device.

DOWN

Banned
what's your definition of an "S" generation?

because, other than the dimensions and screen resolutions remaining the same, pretty much everything about the iPhone 7 is kinda new, right?
* new stereo speakers
* 2 new colors
* new cameras (even more so on the plus)
* new home button functionality (via the haptic engine)

i see the 7S getting a hi-res OLED screen and maybe the dual cameras moving down to the non-plus model. and maybe pen support or some shit like that.

I just don't see Apple - as courageous as they may be - to break with their traditions. Their predictability totally adds to their success. People knowing their bi-yearly rhythm that matches the prevalent 2-year provider lock-ins / upgrade programs. Always knowing when the next iPhone's going to be released. - i think that's something they're not going to give up that easily.

but i'll gladly be proven wrong.

even though, to be fair, the first rumors that pointed to the iPhone 7 dropping the headphone jack were reported on in Nov '15.
Let's just wait and see.
What i don't believe to be reasonable is to treat said rumors as the kind of certain fact that some are doing in this thread. "don't upgrade, because next year's model is going to be XYZ"
S generations are always minor design changes with notable spec upgrades. iPhone 7 fits this well. It's essentially a 6 body with a different camera bump style. Most of the colors went unchanged. It's nothing like the jumps from 3G to 4 to 5 to 6 imo. More like 5 to 5S with TouchID or 6 to 6S with new aluminum

This falls in line with rumors that the notable body change is delayed to next year

Fair points, it just seems like the 7 is one of the more iterative non-S releases we've had. Everything in it is just a somewhat better version than the last. As for the 6 I'd say the inclusion of NFC/Apple Pay was a pretty big addition.

SOLDIER

Anyone know what AT&T is offering? Are there any trade-in discounts if I trade in my iPhone 5?

My current plan is part of a family plan, though I don't know much more than that.

Ashhong

Nope, payments are fixed. You can if you do iPhone Installment Program, but that option doesn't have yearly upgrades or AppleCare

When trading a phone in for iUP they give you the value of the phone back as a credit on whatever credit card you signed up with. It doesn't reduce the monthly payments

You know what, 5$ extra a month isn't so bad for Apple Care. Maybe I will go that route..

iPhone7TradeInPricing.jpg

I have 2 iPhone 5 laying around, though they show signs of use. Should I go for this trade in deal?

This is super misleading I think. Does it not matter what size the iPhone is? Why would 6 and 6S get the same trade in value?

icespide

Banned
yeah, i edited that in. It wasn't until the first hands-on reports we got when people were amazed how light the device was and how fancy those chamfered edges looked.

This time around, i think seeing the 7 with your own eyes, that black finish is going to look fantastic. And the water resistance and probably those speakers are going to be amazing features.
If the speakers are really able to output some decent sound akin to a cheap bluetooth speaker, that's kind of a tiny game changer.

but seriously, when it comes to Apple, people are being super revisionist when it comes to the reception of any certain device.

it also may just be me but, I feel like there's this weird smug climate of people feeling proud of waiting out of the next iPhone like "oh you caved and upgraded huh? I'm waiting for the NEXT one, that's the ticket!"

ReAxion

You think they are going to sell the AirPods at a 1:2 ratio? lol

no. i also don't put a lot of weight into what people say they're going to do in these surveys. what i think is interesting about it is it could be signaling they picked the right time to ditch the headphone jack.

Fliesen

Fair points, it just seems like the 7 is one of the more iterative non-S releases we've had. Everything in it is just a somewhat better version than the last. As for the 6 I'd say the inclusion of NFC/Apple Pay was a pretty big addition.

certainly a big addition (except for markets where ApplePay isn't available, of which there are many)

still, if you reduce it to "it's just an XYZ with ABC" statements, the same could be said about every single iteration of the iPhone (except for the iPhone 4 imho).
That feels like Apple's entire strategy, rolling out maybe 2 'big' changes every gen.
I think the whole point is to not have that one stand-out model. Otherwise, the model after that one would be a really tough sell.

S generations are always minor design changes with notable spec upgrades. iPhone 7 fits this well. It's essentially a 6 body with a different camera bump style. Most of the colors went unchanged. It's nothing like the jumps from 3G to 4 to 5 to 6 imo. More like 5 to 5S with TouchID or 6 to 6S with new aluminum

This falls in line with rumors that the notable body change is delayed to next year

Yup, this is like a tick-tock-tock. Next year is the 10th anniversary so I'm expecting a total rethink of what the iPhone is from the ground up. Not that this year's model isn't impressive, because it is.

it also may just be me but, I feel like there's this weird smug climate of people feeling proud of waiting out of the next iPhone like "oh you caved and upgraded huh? I'm waiting for the NEXT one, that's the ticket!"

They can be as smug as they like, but those of us on yearly upgrade plans laugh at those poors.

f@luS

More than a member.
Maybe old but some test confirm 3gb ram for 7+... Wondering for 7... If not the same, 7+ seems much more attractive ...

Fliesen

here's your $40 dongle to charge and use headphones at the same time

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/

haha. "charge + audio" - audio being ANOTHER lightning port. supreme trolling, Belkin ;)

I'm just shocked that this was as big a deal as it apparently is (at least if one believes all the teeth gnashing and clothes rending on GAF).

I'm 36 and I don't think I've ever charged and listened to music at the same time.

neither have i, but i see that there would be an application, like using your phone to listen to AppleMusic / Spotify at work for hours. That's gonna drain your battery like crazy.
Or listening to music / podcasts while having it plugged into a battery bank.

There's certainly people for whom that extra adapter / dock is going to be quite a hassle and a solution to a problem they weren't hoping on having.

nikos

I'm sure a Lightning to Lightning + 3.5mm adapter will come soon. It's already possible via Apple's iPhone dock.

DOWN

Banned
S cycle people often do this. They jumped on board at a random time or too late for the new body and exclaim that they're getting the definitive performance. They just don't understand that many of us don't want the dated body and thus, can't live like S cycle folk who's body design is going on 3 years old by the time they upgrade to another S model if they're on a 2 year plan.

Oh, I may have just been a bit snobbish there myself

DOWN

Banned
You think they are going to sell the AirPods at a 1:2 ratio? lol
The article is just rightly pointing out that Bluetooth is getting cheap and Apple is allowing for cheap lightning headphones that already have better features than 3.5mm for those who always listen on iPhone but aren't ready for Bluetooth

FinKL

You know what, 5$ extra a month isn't so bad for Apple Care. Maybe I will go that route..

This is super misleading I think. Does it not matter what size the iPhone is? Why would 6 and 6S get the same trade in value?

That Tmobile image doesn't take into account size, guess it doesn't matter. Sucks for the 128gb folk that do this trade in, even more if you have a plus

Owari

S cycle people often do this. They jumped on board at a random time or too late for the new body and exclaim that they're getting the definitive performance. They just don't understand that many of us don't want the dated body and thus, can't live like S cycle folk who's body design is going on 3 years old by the time they upgrade to another S model if they're on a 2 year plan.

But the 7 is the same exact body as the 6/6S

Fliesen

yes :p

but also, there's no precedent (except for the iPhone 4, the magical unicorn of iPhones) of Apple just randomly switching to a new body if the market doesn't demand it.
the iPhone 5 and 6 were Apple answering to the market demanding bigger phones / bigger screens.
Other than the iPhone, Apple's stuck with almost entirely unchanged industrial design for plenty of years. The iPad's design didn't really change from iPad 2 to 4, and ever since the iPad air, every single iPad (Air 2, mini, mini with retina, mini 3, mini 4, iPad pro 12.something, iPad pro 9.7) stuck with the same exact industrial design.

Similarly, ever since moving to unibody in 2008(?) the only design change in the macbook pro lineup has been the switch to Retina.
Same goes for the Macbook Air.

I don't get where people get this notion from that Apple changes the physical shell of their devices (or iPhones, specifically) out of sheer principle.
The fact that iPhone family is recognizable and rather iconic in design, over multiple generations, is something Apple prides themselves in.

this is very much incorrect. it has the same shape, yes. but from Antenna seams to camera bump to home button to 2nd array of (cosmetic, right?) speaker holes, there are plenty of differences.

DOWN

Banned
Aren't they dropping the 8 next year? I don't understand their strategy.

Rumor is they are skipping 7S, hence 7 being essentially a 6S body. Possible leaks suggest a big body redesign next year (aka what we normally get for the numbered models) instead of an S bump. It's also speculated that they are going to change up the numbering system since it's the 10th year of iPhone and won't be a simple S
? That's what my post says. It says 7 is more like an S cycle than a redesign, which aligns with rumors that the 2017 model has a major body redesign and will not be an S model since the 2016 update is smaller than usual

Jeffrey

I figured the iPad pro models would have a bit more teeth than the "insert latest generic ipad model".

Guess not.

pro seemed to just mean, keyboard, pencil support lol.

I'll be real surprised if there isn't an iphone pro at some point to fight with samsung's note.

emag

You were impressed by the design of the 3G?

Besides, there were only three non-S phones prior to the 5 -- the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and the iPhone 4 -- so that's not saying much anyway.

It's not at all misleading. T-Mobile's promotion is, very simply, turn in any 6 or 6s and get bill credits that offset the cost of a 32GB 7 (pay the difference for 7+ and/or higher capacity). It's a great deal if you qualify (new/existing T-Mobile customer, have a 6/6s paid in full, want a 7/7+). The only catch is you need to stay with TMo for 2 years to get the full discount (and you can't use the same line for more than this one deal during that period).

DOWN

Banned
pro seemed to just mean, keyboard, pencil support lol.

I'll be real surprised if there isn't an iphone pro at some point to fight with samsung's note.
Apple may have been worried about needing a Pro model but the exploding Note 7 just bought them another year of not caring about that competition

EmSeta

So can anyone recommend a pair of wireless headphones that are not in-ear or over-ear, but either on-ear or earbuds?

I had high hopes for the AirPods, but they seem pretty stupid (no volume/play controls, might fall out and get lost separately). I guess the new beats workout ones would be a contender, but they look pretty ugly, especially for that price.

Top Bottom