• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Guess Who

Banned
So can anyone recommend a pair of wireless headphones that are not in-ear or over-ear, but either on-ear or earbuds?

I had high hopes for the AirPods, but they seem pretty stupid (no volume/play controls, might fall out and get lost separately). I guess the new beats workout ones would be a contender, but they look pretty ugly, especially for that price.

Beats Solo3 are pretty decent on-ears, if (as I suspect) they are basically Solo2s with better wireless.

Bubba T

S cycle people often do this. They jumped on board at a random time or too late for the new body and exclaim that they're getting the definitive performance. They just don't understand that many of us don't want the dated body and thus, can't live like S cycle folk who's body design is going on 3 years old by the time they upgrade to another S model if they're on a 2 year plan.

Oh, I may have just been a bit snobbish there myself

A bit?

DOWN

Banned
This plastic was so fugly I can't believe it kicked off the S cycle and survived 2 years before Apple made up for it with the best smartphone design ever via 4

history-iphone-3g-back-hero.jpg

Fliesen

oh, btw for anyone still on the fence, here's my reasoning for going 128 gig black iPhone 7 (non plus). - which i was kinda leaning towards due to that camera rig.

... running.

i don't see the 5.5 behemoth that is the plus to be all that nice when carrying it in my running belt.

also, i'm not a photographer, i don't even instagram - i think the downsides in ergonomics outweighs the upside in camera quality.
for the 150$ i "save" (lol...) i might just get a pair of AirPods or beatsX (probably the latter)

just thought i'd share my line of reasoning.

This plastic was so fugly I can't believe it kicked off the S cycle and survived 2 years before Apple made up for it with the best smartphone design ever via 4

meanwhile, the 3 and 3Gs were super durable, while the 4 was very much design over durability.

Owari

this is very much incorrect. it has the same shape, yes. but from Antenna seams to camera bump to home button to 2nd array of (cosmetic, right?) speaker holes, there are plenty of differences.
Same size/shape = same design. It should have had less bezel and width.

? That's what my post says. It says 7 is more like an S cycle than a redesign, which aligns with rumors that the 2017 model has a major body redesign and will not be an S model since the 2016 update is smaller than usual
I don't think there will be a radical upgrade of the main line next year, more likely we'll get a refresh of the SE. They seem to really love the design of the 6, hence why the 7 is basically a 6S S. The 7S will just be a faster 7, the AE will be an all new, smaller design, with all the bells and whistles of the 7.

They wouldn't screw over 7 buyers with a new design on an S cycle year.

Milly79

So, was this T-Mobile rep wrong on there being a 32gb piano black?

http://imgur.com/aHMLFED

They even made it a note to reference the new color, so I'm kinda confused.

Also, I made it a note to ask about if the device isn't paid off (T-Mobile) and they said I'd still require zero down payment, I guess based off of my account standing. No idea if this is well known or what, but figured I'd throw it out there since I was curious.

icespide

Banned

Also, I made it a note to ask about if the device isn't paid off (T-Mobile) and they said I'd still require zero down payment, I guess based off of my account standing. No idea if this is well known or what, but figured I'd throw it out there since I was curious.
yeah they were mistaken about piano black

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

They are wrong. The manufacturer (Apple) explicitly mentioned there is not one. T-Mobile reps often times don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

DOWN

Banned
Same size/shape = same design. It should have had less bezel and width.

I don't think there will be a radical upgrade of the main line next year, more likely we'll get a refresh of the SE. They seem to really love the design of the 6, hence why the 7 is basically a 6S S. The 7S will just be a faster 7, the AE will be an all new, smaller design, with all the bells and whistles of the 7.

They wouldn't screw over 7 buyers with a new design on an S cycle year.
Your hunch that they just really like 6 rather than are setting up for their redesign to hit at year 10 seems pretty unfounded compared to months of leaks and murmurs about how 7 would be like a dragged on 6 cycle and break the redesign routine, and 2017 will refresh the line a la a true new body. So far, the rumors about 7 being a small refresh are pretty true, making me more inclined to believe the claims that next year won't keep the 7 body with a simple spec jump 7S. They weren't address of redesigns for iPad Air 2 the next year after Air debuted or the good old iPhone->iphone 3G

Alas, it's not so useful to speculate until the shells start leaking as usual

ReAxion

That's worded weird. They could say "we have all the colors in all the (available) memory variants" and not be wrong, and technically the matte black is also new.

But no, T-Mobile doesn't have the clout to get Apple to make them an exclusive iPhone variant at the lowest ASP of the generation.

ESBL

Is there any word on whether or not they improved quick charging? Since the iPhone 6 you could charge the phone quicker with the 10w charger. It was never mentioned just a lifehack I guess.

dylanagibson

Neo Member
If it's considered a business/corporate account, then yes. It has to be a personal account

If it's a personal account where you just get a Sprint employee discount, then you're good

I have a family friend who works at Sprint that has given me a Wireless Advantage Club plan ($40/mo for unlimited everything). I went through Apples website for the pre-order and there was a link to "check your account status with your carrier" on the bottom of the page on the Carrier selection page. I entered my info and it says "Account type not supported." So I'm guessing it's not considered the latter.

Tadale

I'm going to try to preorder through T-mobile's site tonight - I'm switching from Verizon.

Do their preorders generally go live right at 12:01 am PST?

Owari

Your hunch that they just really like 6 rather than are setting up for their redesign to hit at year 10 seems pretty unfounded compared to months of leaks and murmurs about how 7 would be like a dragged on 6 cycle and break the redesign routine, and 2017 will refresh the line a la a true new body. So far, the rumors about 7 being a small refresh are pretty true, making me more inclined to believe the claims that next year won't keep the 7 body with a simple spec jump 7S. They weren't address of redesigns for iPad Air 2 the next year after Air debuted or the good old iPhone->iphone 3G

Alas, it's not so useful to speculate until the shells start leaking as usual
I think we'll see the new iPhone redesign m alongside souped up 7S and 7S+ next September. I don't trust sketchy rumor websites telling me Apple is about to break 10 years of tradition. There will definitely be a 7S, as well as an AE.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
3GB of RAM is awesome. 2 was a huge boost on the 6s over the 6. I know the majority of the extra gig will be for the camera; but I think 3GB will officially make me no longer lust for any more RAM at all in ios.

Jeffrey

3GB of RAM is awesome. 2 was a huge boost on the 6s over the 6. I know the majority of the extra gig will be for the camera; but I think 3GB will officially make me no longer lust for any more RAM at all in ios.

how is multitasking on the 6S? Do apps reload frequently enough that makes you desire 3gb, like it did for me with the 6 for more?

kaskade

I wonder how much faster the phone will feel with the extra gb of RAM. I don't really seem much of an issue with the 6s+ and 2gb of ram. IIRC the extra gig had to do with the camera or something.

Fliesen

I wonder how much faster the phone will feel with the extra gb of RAM. I don't really seem much of an issue with the 6s+ and 2gb of ram. IIRC the extra gig had to do with the camera or something.

well, RAM doesn't increase speed, it'll just mean the phone can hold more apps or browser tabs in memory before flushing the oldest.

For those bokeh shots, that camera might very well need additional ram, since it'll have to process not one, but two 12mp raw photos.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was thinking about getting the big phone but I usually just laugh at people with big phones.

So nah. I'll keep it concise.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
how is multitasking on the 6S? Do apps reload frequently enough that makes you desire 3gb, like it did for me with the 6 for more?

Multitasking on the 6 Plus was absolute garbage. Could barely keep more than a couple Safari tabs open without refreshing.

With the 6S Plus, multitasking is very good - I can get a solid ~10 tabs in Safari before needing a refresh. Typically the last 3-4 apps I've used will load without a refresh. Very good, very pleased.

But I'm hopeful with 3GB, refreshing will still happen less often, as I see it in my apps and on my tabs still multiple times a day.

DOWN

Banned
I wonder though how well the 3GB handles the multitasking since it's 3GB with a purpose. If things have gotten more demanding, it may feel no better than 6S or might even be a step back on the multitasking

Mortemis

Banned
but that 2nd speaker grill on the bottom! and that new, fancier camera bump! ;)
still, it's a supply chain thing imho. these shells are going to be re-used for next year's iPhone.

But they don't reuse the shells, they reuse the design. The 6S was made from a different material than the 6 and was actually thicker.

I don't think keeping the usual two year design cycles means much at all to Apple. In fact, seeing as iPhone sales are dropping, I'd think they are working hard on something new to entice people who feel comfortable keeping their phone for over two years to upgrade.

That's only because you chose the wrong color.
2992735785_bb9c635437.jpg

The 3g/gs weren't the best-looking iPhones, but they were probably the most durable.

As someone who has been on the S cycle for a few generations now, I'm a bit unsure what to do. I prefer the tech updates on the S models over style changes, but this is basically a second S update to the same style. A style that I never liked; looks too much like a Samsung phone, and those horrible antenna bands. But I don't know, I may be updating three years in a row...

Jeffrey

Multitasking on the 6 Plus was absolute garbage. Could barely keep more than a couple Safari tabs open without refreshing.

With the 6S Plus, multitasking is very good - I can get a solid ~10 tabs in Safari before needing a refresh. Typically the last 3-4 apps I've used will load without a refresh. Very good, very pleased.

But I'm hopeful with 3GB, refreshing will still happen less often, as I see it in my apps and on my tabs still multiple times a day.

I've personally never had problems with apps in memory reloading on the 6s.

Sounds good/well (back on the hunt in BST for used 6s's).

Now if only it had 4gb of ram like my giant ipad pro. Feel like the only time app reloads are after an update lol.

It actually freaks out some apps like youtube if you have it 'idle' for a few days.

DOWN

Banned
you mean the white stuff?

it's called 'reflections' :p

but that 2nd speaker grill on the bottom! and that new, fancier camera bump! ;)
still, it's a supply chain thing imho. these shells are going to be re-used for next year's iPhone.

the "S" generation usually just gets better components, like a 'better' home button (5S), a 'better' screen (force touch), all those under the hood improvements - the hood itself rarely changes. I don't see Apple breaking with their tick-tock phone rhythm.
but i'll gladly eat crow.
I'm confused why you don't think this is basically an S update like much of the press and leaks agree it is. This is a 6 body and mostly 6S colors again. The changes are no bigger than S updates (like TouchID mentioned on 5S or new aluminum for 6S). Surely this breaks the cycle? I find the 7 having a 6S body to absolutely lend credibility to the murmurs all year that 7 would basically be another S cycle to allow a redesign for 2017.

The cycle is broken imo. 7 is just another S, albeit very sexy.
Nah, it'll be the 7S and AE. 8 will drop in 2018.
According to none of the sites that were dead accurate about 7

Top Bottom