• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

neshcom

Banned
Regarding iUP returning veterans: if your phone had a small crack on the screen, and you go to exchange it but the genius has an eagle eye and calls you on it, can you pay the $99 apple care + right there and get the new phone? Or should it be done ahead of time, like before next Friday?

Don't you need to enroll into AppleCare within 90 days of original purchase?

Are you guys gonna use the app? It worked well for me for the Watch. Does Apple "reserve" your item once you add it to the cart, or does it do the "this item sold out" before you checkout even if it's in your cart?

What app, the apple store one? I'm going to reserve mine, is that the fastest way to preorder? Is it really going to be sold out that quickly?

StillEdge

Regarding iUP returning veterans: if your phone had a small crack on the screen, and you go to exchange it but the genius has an eagle eye and calls you on it, can you pay the $99 apple care + right there and get the new phone? Or should it be done ahead of time, like before next Friday?

You already pay for AppleCare+ with the iUP, so if it's bad enough they will charge you. They just dropped the price down to $29 or $39 for screen repairs. I wish we didn't have to have AC+ but it is required.

Ashhong

I think in the print they reserve the right to release the stock after x amount of time, but I honestly don't know if they do. Different stores might have different policies. Try and be cool and get there around your time

Oh ok I didn't realize you reserve a specific time as well. That's fine, I can do that. I thought I had to wait in a line ahead of time just to secure my phone or something.

2 more questions....
Can I preorder all 4 of my lines at once and pick up at the same time?
And can I trade in my iPhone at a later date and still have it go to the credit card I used to upgrade or am I stuck with store credit?

So if I reserved online and picked a timeslot at the store, do I have to camp out at all? Or do I just show up at my time?

YMMV but last year I got there an hour ahead of my appointment but the line was long so I went ahead and got in line. They had Apple store employees checking people in while they waited in line. I actually ended up getting in around my appointment time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
YMMV but last year I got there an hour ahead of my appointment but the line was long so I went ahead and got in line. They had Apple store employees checking people in while they waited in line. I actually ended up getting in around my appointment time.

So what's the point of having an appointment time?

Retroid

I've never used the Apple Store app before, is there anything I should know about it before the pre-orders go live? I don't have it on my phone personally, I am using it on someone elses phone, is that going to cause a problem (I am not signed into my Apple ID on their phone)?

finalflame

Apple store down already?

mPkJOwf.png

TheZink

I've never used the Apple Store app before, is there anything I should know about it before the pre-orders go live? I don't have it on my phone personally, I am using it on someone elses phone, is that going to cause a problem (I am not signed into my Apple ID on their phone)?
Have your credit card info in already.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

You should have already favorited the items you are wanting to preorder so you don't have to go into as many screens.

You are already behind the crowd now.

So is everyone who is paying in full getting the Verizon version? I'm worried I need a Verizon account to order one but having both antenna types will make it easier to sell next year.

Retroid

Do they really go that fast? Is it better to ship to home or pickup from a store? I am in Canada if that matters so I will be getting an unlocked phone.

KevinG

If I just keep the app open, will it just let me in when the time is right? Or do I have to keep closing and opening the app to refresh it?

finalflame

So is everyone who is paying in full getting the Verizon version? I'm worried I need a Verizon account to order one but having both antenna types will make it easier to sell next year.

Paying in full, getting Verizon because .. well, I have Verizon. Pretty sure all phones paid in full are unlocked, regardless of carrier, no?

Soybean

I'm 80% sure I'm going Jet Black despite the inevitable massive scratching. Fuck it. Better to have loved and lost (a glossy finish) than never at all. 15 minutes of bliss.

This is similar to my question at the top of the page. Can I just order the phone "naked" and deal with activating the phone number associated with the account once it arrives?

Paying in full, getting Verizon because .. well, I have Verizon. Pretty sure all phones paid in full are unlocked, regardless of carrier, no?

I paid in full for an AT&T 6S+ last launch. It wasn't unlocked out of the box, but since I bought it outright all I had to do was request an unlock from AT&T and they processed it in like 5 minutes.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I don't think so. If you pay in full it should be unlocked and I can just throw my 6S Plus SIM into the phone and be done.

At least that's how I'd expect it to work.

Im pretty sure you need an eligible Verizon account.
Apple doesn't typically sell unlocked devices to those without post paid accounts until a few months after release.

Im pretty sure you need an eligible Verizon account.
Apple doesn't typically sell unlocked devices to those without post paid accounts until a few months after release.

Well that's a bummer since I'm pretty sure I took off the AT&T phones from my favorites list in the app. Shit.

Vyer

This sucks for those who got the 6S(+) with the monthly credits. There's little reason to jump. It's better to continue the current lease.

sure, though, it was gonna suck when you lose the monthly credit regardless. even if you had used your jump on any phone during the year the credit was gonna be gone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This sucks for those who got the 6S(+) with the monthly credits. There's little reason to jump. It's better to continue the current lease.

It isn't that bad.

It was known we were getting the phone way cheaper than we should have.

We got the 6s for cheap and I'm still thankful for that.

DarkWish

Just changed our AT&T plan to their mobile data share plan (was on a 2 year contract that was ending). Gonna get the phone with AT&T Next. Haven't changed plans before like that so a little nervous about the pricing and all that during the transition, but I will be out of town all day tomorrow so it was the only option if I wanted to pre-order at 3 am.

I meant this sucks for 6S(+) owners that were jumping to 7. Those who prefers to stay on this lease is good.

Also, is it possible to pre-order on T-Mobile website? What if I'm doing to trade in for 7 deal?

I think it's a little ridiculous that you need to keep paying downpayments for JUMP! upgrades, even if you already have upgraded storage.. if I already have the 64GB 6S, which was the same price as the current 7 128GB, I don't think I need to pay 99$ again.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. If you pay in full it should be unlocked and I can just throw my 6S Plus SIM into the phone and be done.

At least that's how I'd expect it to work.

Nope.

In fact this is something that shouldn't be overlooked. This year (unlike the 6S) there are two separate models and if you buy an AT&T or T-Mobile phone it will not have support for CDMA. So if resale value and/or possible use on those networks is something you may need you will have to wait for the SIM-Free version or go into a store and buy the Verizon version (which is possible in-store, but not online without Verizon account info). This information is primarily for people paying in full for their device.

Straight from Apple (the page is down now since the store is down)

Are there differences between an iPhone for AT&T or T-Mobile and an iPhone for Sprint or Verizon Wireless?

iPhone offers the same innovative features regardless of the wireless carrier you choose. If you choose AT&T or T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use 3G cellular technology for voice services and either 3G or 4G LTE cellular technology for data services. iPhone can roam internationally on many GSM carriers around the world. If you buy iPhone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will not work on Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

If you choose Sprint or Verizon Wireless as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use CDMA cellular technology for voice and data services. If you buy an unlocked iPhone with Verizon or Sprint, it will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless also has the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks. For details on LTE network support, please see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

Hey everyone. I'm considering going in now on a 6s or 6s+ since they are / will be discounted. A couple of questions:

1. Have the phones already been discounted? I'm seeing $199 w/ 2 yr contract for the 6s base model, and $299 for the 6s+ - that can't be after the discount, right?

2. I heard that the 6+ was a little laggy at times due to the amount of RAM combined with the screen size. Is that also the case for the 6s+?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hey everyone. I'm considering going in now on a 6s or 6s+ since they are / will be discounted. A couple of questions:

1. Have the phones already been discounted? I'm seeing $199 w/ 2 yr contract for the 6s base model, and $299 for the 6s+ - that can't be after the discount, right?

2. I heard that the 6+ was a little laggy at times due to the amount of RAM combined with the screen size. Is that also the case for the 6s+?

6+ is laggy. 6s+ is buttery smooth.

Jarsonot

Seen some people wondering why someone would need to charge and listen to music. For me it's when I'm in bed playing games/watching videos at night. Battery intensive activities at the end of the day when my battery is low, and I use the headphones to not wake the wife.

Apple pushes games pretty hard, but a lot of games are battery hogs, meaning more charging. I guess it's play them without sound or fork over more cash.

As for the splitter dongle, do we know for sure that the lightning port on the phone can output music while also charging?

So I'm jump On demand with T-Mobile. I have an upgrade left this year I can call and get a 7 black tonight?!

Does the 7 come in Jet Black or just the 7+?

saelz8

Fuck man, I'm having this intense internal debate right now on whether I should go 7 vs 7 Plus. It sucks.

I value my one handed use, I value usability, but I want better battery and more RAM. Decisions, decisions.

Fuck man, I'm having this intense internal debate right now on whether I should go 7 vs 7 Plus. It sucks.

I value my one handed use, I value usability, but I want better battery and more RAM. Decisions, decisions.

The battery is barely better on the Plus. The battery on 7 Regular has been improved up to 2 hours. 2GB RAM is pretty good.

My debate includes the dual camera. I'm wondering if that is worth the $120 extra.

Does anyone know the best way to pre-order on T-mobile tonight? What if I want to do the trade in 6 for 7 deal? Can I do the pre-order on the website?

So I'm jump On demand with T-Mobile. I have an upgrade left this year I can call and get a 7 black tonight?!

Does the 7 come in Jet Black or just the 7+?

Not sure about the T-Mo part but both models come in Jet Black only for the 128 and 256gb variants.

7+ all the way. Screen size, resolution, RAM, battery life, and camera are all significantly better. I've had the Plus since 6 and while the 6 was ass because of the memory issues, the screen and battery life were amazing and it's only gotten better.

Top Bottom