• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I'm jump On demand with T-Mobile. I have an upgrade left this year I can call and get a 7 black tonight?!

Does the 7 come in Jet Black or just the 7+?

I don't see why not.
You will have to do it over the phone by calling 611.

Also the most important part.
When you are sent the EIP agreement read and verify every fucking word. I had to get 6 revisions last year and ended up emailing corporate and the CEO to get things straight.

Godspeed.

br3wnor

6+ is laggy. 6s+ is buttery smooth.

Yeah 6s+ is the shit, as much as I like what they're doing with 7 I can't even come close to justifying an upgrade of my 6s+ yet, phone still works perfectly and I rarely have any speed issues no matter what I throw at it.

Fuck man, I'm having this intense internal debate right now on whether I should go 7 vs 7 Plus. It sucks.

I value my one handed use, I value usability, but I want better battery and more RAM. Decisions, decisions.

Me too man, I'm leaning towards the + at the moment but the regular iPhones have felt like the right size to me since the 5.

I don't see why not.
You will have to do it over the phone by calling 611.

Also the most important part.
When you are sent the EIP agreement read and verify every fucking word. I had to get 6 revisions last year and ended up emailing corporate and the CEO to get things straight.

Godspeed.

Ehhhh I might just wait and go in store in a few weeks. I've never had a problem with JOD before but I never did it over the phone.

DOWN

Banned
The battery is barely better on the Plus. The battery on 7 Regular has been improved up to 2 hours. 2GB RAM is pretty good.

My debate includes the dual camera. I'm wondering if that is worth the $120 extra.

Does anyone know the best way to pre-order on T-mobile tonight? What if I want to do the trade in 6 for 7 deal? Can I do the pre-order on the website?
Depends on what you're doing. Standby, music, and talk time are up to 60% better battery on Plus. On the screen intensive stuff like Web and video, they are closer like 10-15% apart.

6+ is laggy. 6s+ is buttery smooth.
Yeah 6s+ is the shit, as much as I like what they're doing with 7 I can't even come close to justifying an upgrade of my 6s+ yet, phone still works perfectly and I rarely have any speed issues no matter what I throw at it.
Thanks! Anyone know if the 2 yr contract price for the base 6s+ of $299 is the old price, or is it the new discounted price in light of the 7?

jcutner

I'll be going with the iPhone 7+, coming from an iPhone 6.

I figure if I were to get an iPhone 7, it'd be an upgrade where the screen size stayed the same, in the sense that I've gone from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5, then the 6 and they've all been bigger (apart from the 3G to the 4).

I'm sure it'll take me a little while to get used to the bigger screen size, and pocketability, but the two camera's is enough to sell me on the 7+. I use the camera a lot, and I can already see how the telephoto portion will help.

Owari

The battery is barely better on the Plus. The battery on 7 Regular has been improved up to 2 hours. 2GB RAM is pretty good.

My debate includes the dual camera. I'm wondering if that is worth the $120 extra.

Does anyone know the best way to pre-order on T-mobile tonight? What if I want to do the trade in 6 for 7 deal? Can I do the pre-order on the website?

You have to consider the real cost of a plus device, one handed operation.

jcutner

I completely forgot pre orders are tonight, I wish Apple would start giving east coast users a break I mean damn 3:01 is ridiculous.

Agreed. I've done it twice so far, once for the Apple Watch, and during Amazon's Black Friday sale when they had the Nexus 6 for $199 (was a gift). Alarm set a few minutes before, wake up and regain consciousness to realize why I'm up at 3am, place the order and try to fall back asleep with a story for the morning.

kaskade

The 3am preorder is pretty much a yearly ritual at this point. I sipped on an energy drink before now I'm about to finally watch The Hateful Eight. Probably couldn't fall asleep if I wanted too with the amount of caffeine in me.

Namikaze

The battery is barely better on the Plus. The battery on 7 Regular has been improved up to 2 hours.

What? Lol. I get way better battery life on my 6S+ model than I was getting on my 6. I can count on my + to get me through the day on one charge with ease even when using it to navigate etc. whereas after about a year with the 6, I had to charge it as soon as I got home or else it would basically be dead. That was with it mostly being on standby.

iPhone (2017) isn't iPhone 8.

"The new iPhone may be sold alongside upgraded (but standard) 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones."

Next year we'll get 7S, 7S+ and AE. There's a very good chance AE is more of an upgraded SE.

My guess is they'll drop the numbers next year.
iPhone, iPhone Pro, iPhone SE
iPad, iPad Pro, iPad SE

Nope.

In fact this is something that shouldn't be overlooked. This year (unlike the 6S) there are two separate models and if you buy an AT&T or T-Mobile phone it will not have support for CDMA. So if resale value and/or possible use on those networks is something you may need you will have to wait for the SIM-Free version or go into a store and buy the Verizon version (which is possible in-store, but not online without Verizon account info). This information is primarily for people paying in full for their device.

Straight from Apple (the page is down now since the store is down)

On this note, is it possible to order the phone tonight with my current carrier, Sprint, and then switch over to Verizon in the coming week and have Apple activate it under Verizon instead?

Can I add Applecare, let's say, a month from now or do I need get it at the moment of purchase?

I think the new Applecare has to be purchased within two months of your phone purchase or something like that and if you don't purchase it along with your phone you have to bring it into a store to make sure it hasn't been damaged already.

katagai

What information do you need to provide if you're with Verizon? I've never ordered a phone through the Apple Store app, so I'm not sure what information I'm going to need on hand when I try to purchase my phone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So how's tmobile when upgrading this may be my first go around with them, I own my 6S so I'm curious if I should take their offer on a free 7.

If you are jump on Demand it's a shitshow of calling untrained reps.

If not then just do it online.

Edit: might have misread. I'm tired.

Ianan

Might jump on the standard 7. How good is the glass on iPhone these days? I noticed the iPhone SE was great for scratch resistance but the iPhone 6s seems like it was really prone to small abrasions and scratches still?

I went to look at pricing a 7+ from a 6 yesterday and it showed me paying however much a month 40+ for 24 months despite my having got the 6 on launch day. I should be intitled to an upgrade but pricing didn't reflect that. Is that not implemented until checkout or did I get the 6 a few days later so I am not 2 years out for an upgrade?

btkadams

For the people that are torn between models, why not choose one, and if you don't like it just return/exchange for a different one?

finalflame

For the people that are torn between models, why not choose one, and if you don't like it just return/exchange for a different one?

That's true. Does Apple not charge restocking fees? They seem like the kind of company that would. I've actually never returned an Apple device.

I kinda wanna get an iPad Pro to go with my new iPhone, but I think that's overkill.

DOWN

Banned
Because that's annoying and also you can get unlucky and they'll be out of stock of the replacement model so you're forced to return yours and wait weeks

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm still confused at how the reserve phone, pick timeslot, go to store thing works and why you'd still have to line up if you had a timeslot, but I'll just preorder and hope for the best...

That's true. Does Apple not charge restocking fees? They seem like the kind of company that would. I've actually never returned an Apple device.

I kinda wanna get an iPad Pro to go with my new iPhone, but I think that's overkill.

I believe no restocking fee for anything they sell. Have 14 days if I remember correctly to return.

I'm also torn between the regular and Plus model. I have a Watch so I don't need to constantly be handling it to get texts and stuff. A majority of days it'd just be in my work bag until I got to my office, and I think the larger screen would be cool at work and home and on the bus during my commute.

But then I think of stuff like a few weekends ago when I went to a music festival and didn't have a bag. The phone might be too big for my pockets? On the other hand people with Samsung phones seem to have no problems. Also the nicer camera would have been nice to have.

Honestly it'll probably come down to whatever is in stock when I preorder, almost kind of hope it's decided for me that way.

I am pretty set on the new glossy black model, I'm not sure why since I'll be sticking it in a leather case and as far as I know the fronts are identical but whatever, it's really nice looking. If it sells out instantly I'll probably just go for the matte rather than waiting though.

A few quick questions of someone wouldn't mind answering:

1. Is it even possible to choose Apple Upgrade Program tonight at checkout and still get one day one?
2. What happens in the event that next year's model releases just a week or two before I make my 12th payment? Am I screwed out of getting the next phone day one or do I just pay the 12th payment a little ahead of time?
3. Why are people choosing to reserve one for pickup in-store? Don't they typically come in the mail the very same day?

Thanks!

kaskade

Go with the plus guys. It really doesn't feel that big after a few days.

I'm still a bit torn on the color. I've had black iPhones since the beginning so I'm thinking of switching to the silver. I liked the new black color though. This sucks.

I'm still a bit torn on the color. I've had black iPhones since the beginning so I'm thinking of switching to the silver. I liked the new black color though. This sucks.

I'm switching to normal black again, the silver just feels really generic to me for some reason.

finalflame

It does suck. I think I'm decided on Plus now. But for the color..still not sure. Silver would match my Watch. The Black looks better to me after watching MKBHD's hands-on video. I also kinda dig the shade on Rose Gold...

WHY IS THIS SO HARD

jcutner

I've always had black iPhones, until my iPhone 6, where I went with Silver. I'm ready to go back to a black iPhone, the matte black looks so damn good. A white iPhone looks better with a coloured case I'd say, that's about it?

TenCentTacos

Neo Member
So, quick question that I hope somebody can answer. I'm on At&t right now, but I'm about to switch to Verizon and jump on my brother's plan within the next couple weeks. Is it possible for me to preorder a phone through the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program tonight, or do I need to wait until I switch carriers?

kaskade

A few quick questions of someone wouldn't mind answering:

1. Is it even possible to choose Apple Upgrade Program tonight at checkout and still get one day one?
2. What happens in the event that next year's model releases just a week or two before I make my 12th payment? Am I screwed out of getting the next phone day one or do I just pay the 12th payment a little ahead of time?
3. Why are people choosing to reserve one for pickup in-store? Don't they typically come in the mail the very same day?

Thanks!

I believe you can do the AUP online now. For the payment thing, I'm not 100% sure. I'm about to do it but I have to go to the store to do the upgrade since they need my old phone. I'm guessing if you didn't make the payment they might just charge it at the time of the transaction. It says somewhere in the FAQ that any money owed would be paid during the upgrade. I guess I'll find that out next week (or when the site is back up). If you are doing the upgrade from the 6s through the program you gotta go to the store to do the upgrade. Otherwise I'd love to do it online.

border

Do I have any hope of pre-ordering if I just want to buy an unlocked phone and I'm using a prepaid MVNO? Or will I be pretty much locked out?

My MVNO carrier runs on AT&T's network -- would it be possible for me to just outright buy an AT&T model and use it?

Top Bottom