• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

BearPawB

Banned
What's a good way to test a credit card? I changed addresses today and need to see if it registers correctly with my bank but I know iTunes can take up to a day to charge it so buying a song right now isn't a good test.

Amazon order and then cancel? Do they charge immediately?

I did the same thing and did an in-app purchase in the game i play

oh oops, i didnt see the "take a day to charge it" thing

Dany

Banned
What's a good way to test a credit card? I changed addresses today and need to see if it registers correctly with my bank but I know iTunes can take up to a day to charge it so buying a song right now isn't a good test.

Amazon order and then cancel? Do they charge immediately?

I work for a bank. PM me your deets

icespide

Banned
welp, as far as I can tell Apple isn't doing the employee only iPhone buying at infinite loop store extravaganza that they did last year. I have to preorder tonight like the rest of you weirdos

TheZink

Gah! Can't decide which one to get! :s

My iPhone 6 Plus is broken, possibly because of bend-gate related issues, and I guess a 6 might've survived in the same situations. But going with an iPhone 7 over 7 Plus means lower resolution, worse battery life, not as cool photos, less RAM. But no bend-gate issues, maybe?
They fixed bendgate the the 6s 7000
Series aluminum. Get the plus

DOWN

Banned
Amazon charges on shipping. Are you testing a credit card for preorder or iUP?

Ashhong got me to buy this and it's legitimately great. Love it, bought one for my girlfriend, she loves it. Highly recommended
I am trying to pre-order and enroll in iUP for the first time. So it should be entirely online, but I just don't want something stupid like having to go back and reconfigure the way my credit card billing address is typed stopping me from getting a day one shipment. So i want to see that a charge will go through... I guess I could buy a $1 kindle book but that doesn't guarantee it will go correctly on Apple Store.
Try not to get it flagged for fraud activity. "Testing" a card is how that starts.
Well I use iTunes and amazon plenty so I think it should be fine

I am trying to pre-order and enroll in iUP for the first time. So it should be entirely online, but I just don't want something stupid like having to go back and reconfigure the way my credit card billing address is typed stopping me from getting a day one shipment. So i want to see that a charge will go through... I guess I could buy a $1 kindle book but that doesn't guarantee it will go correctly on Apple Store.

Well I use iTunes and amazon plenty so I think it should be fine

The issue for you applying to iUP is that a credit check hits the credit institutions which may not get your updated address for up to a few months. This means that if you JUST changed it the credit bureaus don't know that and still see you with your old one

DOWN

Banned
The issue for you applying to iUP is that a credit check hits the credit institutions which may not get your updated address for up to a few months. This means that if you JUST changed it the credit bureaus don't know that and still see you with your old one

I don't get it

Why would my new address on my credit card hurt my credit check? They're going to do a credit check using my social security so it shouldn't matter what the address on the card is, so long as it is issued to me and appears on my credit history, no?

I don't get it

Why would my new address on my credit card hurt my credit check? They're going to do a credit check using my social security so it shouldn't matter what the address on the card is, so long as it is issued to me and appears on my credit history, no?

Because they also use the address to verify that it's actually you who is applying. Very standard

I'll try and get more information for you tomorrow but that's how I remembered it going down last year at launch

DOWN

Banned
Because they also use the address to verify that it's actually you who is applying. Very standard

I'll try and get more information for you tomorrow but that's how I remembered it going down last year at launch

Still confused at what the problem would be. You are saying my credit history will suggest one address and my credit card will suggest one that may be too new? Can't say I totally get that. For example, before I changed my card billing address, I used it to open a financing for some furniture. I put the new address on the application, but my old address was on the card (and credit history?). Didn't have an issue with me using multiple addresses.

You are scaring me. Is there something you recommend?

Problem with ordering from Apple is they will only send it to your billing address. They don't let you choose a new or separate shipping address than the one on the card. I need the phone to come to my new address on day one or I'll explode.

Ashhong

Man I am still confused on what I can and can't do at the Apple store. I want to reserve it through Apple site as I feel like it would be more reliable, but I'm not sure.

Can I upgrade my Verizon plan at Apple, pay with payment plan and be eligible for yearly upgrade through Verizon??

Still confused at what the problem would be. You are saying my credit history will suggest one address and my credit card will suggest one that may be too new? Can't say I totally get that. For example, before I changed my card billing address, I used it to open a financing for some furniture. I put the new address on the application, but my old address was on the card (and credit history?). Didn't have an issue with me using multiple addresses.

You are scaring me. Is there something you recommend?

Problem with ordering from Apple is they will only send it to your billing address. They don't let you choose a new or separate shipping address than the one on the card. I need the phone to come to my new address on day one or I'll explode.

Oh, not necessarily. Sorry I'm scaring you, that's honestly not my intention. Based on what I remember from my personal application a year ago: they use your credit card as a way to open the line of credit, and then you manually enter in your name, social security number, address, all that fun stuff. I had just moved and maybe a week prior updated all my billing addresses with my bank and everything. However, on the application, I consciously put in my old address that I knew the credit bureaus had on file because I didn't want my application to go through the system and come back with a denial because my information didn't match, and I knew it hadn't been long enough for the banks to report my new address to them

I'm texting a couple people for clarification right now

However if you've already opened financing that's a good sign. Maybe I was just the one being overly paranoid

Man I am still confused on what I can and can't do at the Apple store. I want to reserve it through Apple site as I feel like it would be more reliable, but I'm not sure.

Can I upgrade my Verizon plan at Apple, pay with payment plan and be eligible for yearly upgrade through Verizon??

Unless something has drastically changed, then yes. I'll also grab a complete answer on this

AkumaNiko

historically I don't think people start waiting in line at this point, isn't it usually a day or 2 before release?

i would think people would want to pre order. when i went for the 6, everyone that pre ordered had their own line and got to go in first before the general plebs..i mean public

icespide

Banned
i would think people would want to pre order. when i went last year, everyone that pre ordered had their own line and got to go in first before the general plebs..i mean public

people don't line up to actually preorder, you can't preorder in store. people preorder online and then go wait in line on release day to secure their preorder

Ashhong

Oh, not necessarily. Sorry I'm scaring you, that's honestly not my intention. Based on what I remember from my personal application a year ago: they use your credit card as a way to open the line of credit, and then you manually enter in your name, social security number, address, all that fun stuff. I had just moved and maybe a week prior updated all my billing addresses with my bank and everything. However, on the application, I consciously put in my old address that I knew the credit bureaus had on file because I didn't want my application to go through the system and come back with a denial because my information didn't match, and I knew it hadn't been long enough for the banks to report my new address to them

I'm texting a couple people for clarification right now

However if you've already opened financing that's a good sign. Maybe I was just the one being overly paranoid

Unless something has drastically changed, then yes. I'll also grab a complete answer on this

Will you be able to provide that answer before I reserve tonight? Also do we need to decide on how we're going to pay (Apple payments, carrier payments (if possible?), 2 year contracts) before reserving?

people don't line up to actually preorder, you can't preorder in store. people preorder online and then go wait in line on release day to secure their preorder

You have to wait in a line even if you get a preorder???

icespide

Banned
Will you be able to provide that answer before I reserve tonight? Also do we need to decide on how we're going to pay (Apple payments, carrier payments (if possible?), 2 year contracts) before reserving?

yeeeeah it's kind of like an appointment at the DMV

Team Jet Black with this amazing looking case

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRSII7A/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Yeah Spigen has an entire section just for Jet Black. Was leaning toward matte but Jet Black just looks too good.

http://promo.spigen.com/iphone-7-jet-black-case/

41QDfr%2B1L%2BL.jpg

41DDRebttbL.jpg

I'm working on it now. And maybe, but I don't think so. If you choose to pick it up in store you're just reserving the device itself and then buying it however you see fit

And yes, there is still waiting. The stores usually aren't super big unless you're at a flagship, but even then the popular is big enough that there's going to have to be a line anyway

icespide

Banned
It just occurred to me that another big reason to include the headphone jack adapter on the phone is because Europe would've certainly made them do it anyways.

Whoa if the pairing is done via the box, does that mean you have to bring that with you for the Airpods to work?

you only need them to pair, but they also charge the airpods when not in use, so it's probably handy to keep in a bag or something

So, are the people posting in this thread completely separate from the posters in the the headphone thread, where everyone is claiming that the iPhone 7 is useless garbage, and Apple is an evil money-grubbing company with no other intentions than making people buy more adapters and headphones, the only reason for removing this jack? And that anyone who considers buying this phone is a moronic sheep and shill?

Because here, everyone seems to be buying the phone, while in the other thread, I'm literally the only person trying to argue against "Apple is garbage and so is the iPhone 7" foaming at the mouth, irrational outrage. I guess no one who actually intends to buy this phone has even stepped foot in that thread? Because I'm just getting mocked and attacked there as if I'm a crazy person, while I'm just trying to inject a measure of facts and reason. Would be nice to have an ounce of backup from sane people, like the ones here.

icespide

Banned
So, are the people posting in this thread completely separate from the posters in the the headphone thread, where everyone is claiming that the iPhone 7 is useless garbage, and Apple is an evil money-grubbing company with no other intentions than making people buy more adapters and headphones, the only reason for removing this jack?

Because here, everyone seems to be buying the phone, while in the other thread, I'm literally the only person trying to argue against "Apple is garbage and so is the iPhone 7" foaming at the mouth, irrational outrage. I guess no one who actually intends to buy this phone has even stepped foot in that thread? Because I'm just getting mocked and attacked there as if I'm a crazy person, while I'm just trying to inject a measure of facts and reason.

a few things:

1) people are mad over the headphone jack thing which is fair, and the apple hate is kind of dialed up to 11 right now

2) OT's for things generally have more posters that actually enjoy/use the thing the thread is about, however there are a few shit posts here and there

3) I have been lurking in the thread you're talking about and you took that stuff way too personally and got way too worked up. you really need to take a break

The Apple website and app are already being dodgy for me. Going to be a fun night

I remember last year they had to text me a verification code to preorder and I just.. never got it. It never sent. So that was fun

AkumaNiko

hmmm interesting. well makes sense. I will try to nab one from verizon tonight, if not im going to pre order in store at bestbuy tomorrow, but i hope i get it on VZW cause i hate that BB raises the overall price

Interested. There's still no play/pause/skip/volume controls outside of just taking them out of your ear or using Siri, right? That might be hard to get used to

Best I can tell is play/pause in handled by taking them out of your ear or inserting them, volume is controlled by Siri, and not sure how skipping tracks is handled.

Red

Best I can tell is play/pause in handled by taking them out of your ear or inserting them, volume is controlled by Siri, and not sure how skipping tracks is handled.
Siri can handle requests to skip, pause, etc. But that's cumbersome compared to a button press.

How do T-Mobile people pre-order?

Looks like the Apple Store online this year will only let you do full price, or pick up at a store and activate there. I don't know what T-Mobile is up to

Is the iPhone upgrade program better than AT&T next?

I prefer it. AppleCare included and carrier freedom is important to me. But honestly it depends on what you're looking for and how often you want to upgrade

Top Bottom