• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

VertPin

So it's best to do apple store app vs. desktop? Currently have it downloaded on iPad and phone

I have heard that the apple store app works very well and never crashes. I recommend having your billing info and shipping info put in before you buy though.

I am going to use the app, but will have the desktop site up as well just in case.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
All Verizon phones have the GSM network unlocked. Usually people try to get the Verizon phone to get the most compatibility.

Forgot it's run by AT&T, thought it was Verizon. While AT&T is GSM, Cricket is CDMA, which is probably why it's listed under the CDMA model on Apple's site.

The GSM iPhone 7 does not support CDMA networks, so I'd go with the CDMA version.

Thank you.

Also I'm a little surprised at their single phone payment plan with no interest.

I have heard that the apple store app works very well and never crashes. I recommend having your billing info and shipping info put in before you buy though.

I am going to use the app, but will have the desktop site up as well just in case.

I probably should have done this before the store went down.

AgeEighty

Too late for that; the store is down for maintenance at the moment.

Is the payment info on there the same payment info that's in iTunes for music and app purchases?

Seems like Verizon is doing the same trade in deal as T-Mobile

attachment.php
Sprint is doing the same thing as well. AT&T Being a dumb and requiring Direct TV service and a port-in on the offer.

kaskade

I used the app for the 6s reservation and the apple watch. No issues with it. Not exactly sure why but it doesn't seem to go down as easily as the desktop site does.

Piano and jet are the same thing

My bad, sorry. Looked more matte at that angle. Still, those scratches are crazy. If they're so bad that Apple had to say "if scratches bother you, wrap it up" on their site, it's pretty bad. What's the point of getting that finish if you have to case it.

finalflame

I used the app for the 6s reservation and the apple watch. No issues with it. Not exactly sure why but it doesn't seem to go down as easily as the desktop site does.

Desktop website has to serve both the pages themselves and hit the backend for info. App just needs to request/send data to/from the backend and translate it into the UI already built into the app. It's inherently more efficient/faster.

ASTROID2

My bad, sorry. Looked more matte at that angle. Still, those scratches are crazy. If they're so bad that Apple had to say "if scratches bother you, wrap it up" on their site, it's pretty bad. What's the point of getting that finish if you have to case it.

It looks most visually different from the iPhone 6. And it looks great in renders. That's why it exists and why there's a matte black as well, since that's the black you should actually buy. I honestly think that's why they made two black versions.

icespide

Banned
It looks most visually different from the iPhone 6. And it looks great in renders. That's why it exists and why there's a matte black as well, since that's the black you should actually buy. I honestly think that's why they made two black versions.
you may be onto something there

Verizon's site says I'm eligible to upgrade on 9/19 because that's when I bought my iPhone 6 when it first came out in 2014. So am I going to be able to upgrade or am I screwed? This is like 3 days earlier than this time in 2014.

I just saw John Gruber made a post about Black vs. Jet Black. He was there at the press event and hands-on with them. His takeaway is:

My gut feeling from my time in the hands-on area is that in the real world, the black iPhone 7 looks better, and the jet black iPhone 7 feels better. I say “in the real world” because in the perfect vacuum of a retail display or photo studio, the jet black iPhone looks like the most stunning device I’ve ever seen. There’s no way it’s going to look like that in the real world. But I think it’s going to feel great in your hand even when it’s smudged with fingerprints.

AgeEighty

Beyond scratches, I'm also thinking the jet black version will probably be more prone to the finish wearing off around the major contact points: buttons, Lightning jack, et al.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I just saw John Gruber made a post about Black vs. Jet Black. He was there at the press event and hands-on with them. His takeaway is:

My gut feeling from my time in the hands-on area is that in the real world, the black iPhone 7 looks better, and the jet black iPhone 7 feels better. I say “in the real world” because in the perfect vacuum of a retail display or photo studio, the jet black iPhone looks like the most stunning device I’ve ever seen. There’s no way it’s going to look like that in the real world. But I think it’s going to feel great in your hand even when it’s smudged with fingerprints.

I think I'll be good with the Jett black even though I don't use cases, I tend to keep my phone face down on the screen. Also I'm planning on doing AT&T Next, so I'll be swapping it for an iPhone 7S/8 next year.

-d0hv

icespide

Banned
I think I'll be good with the Jett black even though I don't use cases, I tend to keep my phone face down on the screen. Also I'm planning on doing AT&T Next, so I'll be swapping it for an iPhone 7S/8 next year.

-d0hv
face down with no case? doesn't that scratch the actual screen??

ASTROID2

I don't think Ive seen anyone mention this. Can you wake the phone with the home "button" or do you have to use the power button or raise to wake function of ios10? I ask because its not a button anymore.

Ashhong

Important question:

If I trade in with that Verizon deal (and I assume the same with T-mobile), can I just upgrade after 1 year and still receive the credits? So basically I am being paid 650$ no matter what I do with my device?

Vyer

damn it. i want the jet black but i know too that micro scratches would probably drive me nuts eventually.

luckily matte black is fire too

icespide

Banned
I don't think Ive seen anyone mention this. Can you wake the phone with the home "button" or do you have to use the power button or raise to wake function of ios10? I ask because its not a button anymore.
yes you can. it functions exactly the same as the old home button just without an actual click

Vyer

Important question:

If I trade in with that Verizon deal (and I assume the same with T-mobile), can I just upgrade after 1 year and still receive the credits? So basically I am being paid 650$ no matter what I do with my device?

From what I understand of the T-mobile deal, it's not part of any jump on demand type thing. It's simply they will break the payments down over 24 months, then credit you each month's cost as part of your bill. But you can't trade it in after a year and roll the payments into a new phone or anything like that (unless I guess you pay off the phone).

i would imagine verizon is similar.

I have my JoD phone and we have an older 6 that my wife uses. I'm just going to use my regular JoD upgrade thing and I'm going to use the free trade in for my wife. She doesn't care about upgrading every year so she'd be fine with the 24 month commitment.

Namikaze

I have a feeling that the Jet black will get scratched through an Apple case..Apple lines their cases with a material that keeps dirt/dust from building up too easily but there is still quite a bit of dust in my iP6 case that would probably cause scratches on a glossy phone..

Ashhong

From what I understand of the T-mobile deal, it's not part of any jump on demand type thing. It's simply they will break the payments down over 24 months, then credit you each month's cost as part of your bill. But you can't trade it in after a year and roll the payments into a new phone or anything like that (unless I guess you pay off the phone).

i would imagine verizon is similar.

I have my JoD phone and we have an older 6 that my wife uses. I'm just going to use my regular JoD upgrade thing and I'm going to use the free trade in for my wife. She doesn't care about upgrading every year so she'd be fine with the 24 month commitment.

Right so they give you payments of 27$ a month for 2 years. So is there just no way to upgrade after a year? Or maybe they just take away the discounts? Meaning you sold your phone for 325$, which isn't bad either.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I think I've finally decided on 256GB 7+ Matte black looks great & won't have to worry that fuck up over time thus way better resale value for when next years phone comes out. 😗

Edit: I want to mate it with a monaco blue cover like I had with my iPhone 6.

Vyer

Ars has a pic of a 6s side by side with a 7.

i think the silver/white combo on iphones is pretty clean, but i can't pass up the first actual 'black' iphone in a while.

Right so they give you payments of 27$ a month for 2 years. So is there just no way to upgrade after a year? Or maybe they just take away the discounts? Meaning you sold your phone for 325$, which isn't bad either.

not sure. I mean, if i had to guess, it's not like they won't have some sort of option a year from now for people that want to turn in their 7 from the trade in promotion, but who knows.

Top Bottom