• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

It seems like Apple ended up being backordered much faster than any carrier, so I'm going to hold off on moving to the Apple Upgrade Program.

Red

Jet black might be the most attractive iPhone ever in pictures, and will probably be the most unattractive in actual use.

FinKL

From my understanding (what Apple told me last night) is since you reserved for full price you need to pay full price, activate, return, then buy with Apple Upgrade and then finally activate.

They were pretty sure returning it cancelled the stock reservation and getting on Apple upgrade would be the same as if you barely walked through the door on release.

Basically if that's true you gain nothing with the full price reservation.

Your shipped phone cannot be put on Apple upgrade. You will be charged full price right before they ship.

You are in the same boat as me. We have to wait until after release as there is literally no way to preorder and do a t-mobile apple upgrade program before the 16th.

Basically I need to cancel my shipped phone (since impossible to put on program) and hope it doesn't cancel my other phone reservation. The other phone I will have to do a run around to even get on the program, nice. You would think they would have a full FAQ for this stuff

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Basically I need to cancel my shipped phone (since impossible to put on program) and hope it doesn't cancel my other phone reservation. The other phone I will have to do a run around to even get on the program, nice. You would think they would have a full FAQ for this stuff

You run the risk on the in phone store that after charge, activation, and cancellation that you have to place a brand new order and this get pushed back to November or beyond.

Fhtagn

So none of you care about the missing headphone jack? In the other thread, 100% of this forum seems to be up in arms about it, with promises of never buying another Apple product again.

I am wary, and it's going to require a bit of adjustment as I do a lot of listen & charge on my commute in a car without Bluetooth, but since I follow rumors I've had more than a year to acclimate to the idea.

The design trade off seem reasonable enough to me. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Honestly, I'm more worried by the reliability of the "always getting pocket lint stuck in it" lightning port. I'm unimpressed by the mechanical design, and it's a regular hassle for me. Hopefully the rumors of wireless charging for the iPhone 8 are real.

Edit: I am suffering the pocket lint problem yet again, even though I've done my best to clean it out today, twice. I generally love Apple but this port straight up sucks.

FinKL

You run the risk on the in phone store that after charge, activation, and cancellation that you have to place a brand new order and this get pushed back to November or beyond.

Yeah I can see them doing this, luckily the 7 seems to have more supply.

So I just canceled the one they were shipping to me and keeping the one I have on reservation at store (since it's essentially the first opening). I'll ask them about it, if they give me the run around, I just won't pick it up and cancel it in the store. I don't think you are obligated to pick it up it.

Guess I'm gonna be Apple store refreshing every chance I get 16th onwards

DJ88

Weird. I was not approved for financing when trying to order with the upgrade program.

I've always had a good credit score so I don't know why it wasn't approved. Does anyone know if there's people randomly being denied the same way they were last year due to citizen one's systems being hammered?

Weird. I was not approved for financing when trying to order with the upgrade program.

I've always had a good credit score so I don't know why it wasn't approved. Does anyone know if there's people randomly being denied the same way they were last year due to citizen one's systems being hammered?

Do you have a fraud alert on your credit reports for any reason? I do and that was the reason they said I was denied. Well not actually denied, but they need to call me to get some personal info to make sure it was me who was trying to apply for the program.

RowdyReverb

It's going in a case the minute it arrives... I think I'll go for the matte finish.
If it's going in a case, you can get the gloss without worrying about the downsides. That's what I did. I need a case to use my magnetic phone mount in the car, so it was never a question

jcutner

This will be my first "big" phone. Is there a handy list of the extra things you can do with an iPhone Plus, over the regular 4.7" iPhone?

From what I remember from the iPhone 6 Plus launch two years ago, there's app advantages like landscape mode where the mail is split in landscape, and you can actually use iOS itself rotated into landscape mode, right?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This will be my first "big" phone. Is there a handy list of the extra things you can do with an iPhone Plus, over the regular 4.7" iPhone?

From what I remember from the iPhone 6 Plus launch two years ago, there's app advantages like landscape mode where the mail is split in landscape, and you can actually use iOS itself rotated into landscape mode, right?

You can rotate iOS.
Some apps have different widescreen functionality to display more stuff.
Double tap (without pressing the home button) and the screen moves down so you can reach the top one handed.

You'll get used to it in no time. There is a reason the + sells out so much faster. It's what the majority desires.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Getting the phone in exactly 6 days and 21 hours

Regular black, 7+, 128gb

DJ88

Do you have a fraud alert on your credit reports for any reason? I do and that was the reason they said I was denied. Well not actually denied, but they need to call me to get some personal info to make sure it was me who was trying to apply for the program.

Hmm I'm not sure if I do. It also said I would receive an email with the reason I wasn't approved within 24 hours. How long did it take you to get that email? Or how did you find out the reason?

All phones go into processing after order right? I see people getting their hopes up on MacRumors because their phone is processing but I thought that was the what all orders said regardless of ship date.

I've 'reserved' a regular black 64GB to pick up next Friday morning.

Does this reservation mean I'll definitely get the phone or just reserve a spot in the line?

Bigfoot

Slightly off topic, but is there any chance we get an SE2 next year? I would love most of what is in the 7 in a smaller size, assuming it's also waterproof.

I don't know if the SE was a one time thing for Apple though.

Hmm I'm not sure if I do. It also said I would receive an email with the reason I wasn't approved within 24 hours. How long did it take you to get that email? Or how did you find out the reason?

I didn't receive an email. When I went to check out a screen popped up that said they couldn't process my order because of the fraud alert that I placed on my credit reports. It said they would call me within 24 hours to get the necessary information to verify my identity and then tell me how to proceed.

Fedelias

I know people are saying the big redesign comes next year, but wouldn't it be weird for the S model to have the big upgrade visually?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
you jet black guys... man, that thing is going to be a major fingerprint/scuff magnet. it looks nice on display..

went with Black 7. stayed with 128GB. This will be the first phone I didn't grab the biggest storage size, but I still have like 40GB free on my 6s..

I know people are saying the big redesign comes next year, but wouldn't it be weird for the S model to have the big upgrade visually?

next year won't be S. I am guessing they are going to drop the numbering next year for the anniversary.

I've 'reserved' a regular black 64GB to pick up next Friday morning.

Does this reservation mean I'll definitely get the phone or just reserve a spot in the line?

You should get a phone unless their shipments fall short. Apple is really reliable about this so you should be good. The only thing that can screw these up is if you're doing a carrier upgrade and the carrier's computer systems go down, but even then you can usually get them to hold it for you.

Slightly off topic, but is there any chance we get an SE2 next year? I would love most of what is in the 7 in a smaller size, assuming it's also waterproof.

I don't know if the SE was a one time thing for Apple though.

It's not a lock but I think it's at least a 75% chance. The form factor is successful; it's really more of an issue with what features do they want to add and can it all fit in the frame.

DJ88

I didn't receive an email. When I went to check out a screen popped up that said they couldn't process my order because of the fraud alert that I placed on my credit reports. It said they would call me within 24 hours to get the necessary information to verify my identity and then tell me how to proceed.

Damn. Mine specifically said "There is an issue with your application. Unfortunately you were not approved for financing". Then the note about getting an email. I was using the Apple Store app to order.

TimFL

Double tap (without pressing the home button) and the screen moves down so you can reach the top one handed.

That's also in the 4.7"

I'm going to skip out on buying one this year. I've read a lot about the weak haptic feedback you get with the new home button setup. It apparently has the whole lower half of the phone vibrate instead of creating an artificial click feeling similar to the MB trackpads.
I hope they up their game next year and add an improved taptic engine/more taptic engines to recreate the physical click feeling.

Nevertheless I'm excited that we are moving away from the headphone jack. I hope we see quite a few battery breakthroughs in the coming years to iron out the last woes of a fully wireless future. I could easily see them going with something like "put your AirPods on the new iPhone XYZ to wirelessly charge them" with future models.

You should get a phone unless their shipments fall short. Apple is really reliable about this so you should be good. The only thing that can screw these up is if you're doing a carrier upgrade and the carrier's computer systems go down, but even then you can usually get them to hold it for you.

Thanks, good to know I won't be wasting my time, hopefully.

Akim

Banned
I couldn't preorder last night because I didn't realize I needed to have the cell phone account holders last 4 digits of their social. I had to go with a 128 Rose Gold instead of the black this morning. Still got the store pickup on 9/16 though.

Vyer

Went to a tmo store to do preorder for 128 7+. Going to have to go to the store on launch day for my wife's trade in.

I guess if Im there that day and my preorder hasn't shipped yet and they have stock I'll just cancel preorder and buy then.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
So I couldn't get the Iphone Upgrade thing to work last night so I just bought the damn thing at 3:30 AM - can I change to the upgrade plan now? It claims my CC was declined but it was the same CC I used to just buy the damn thing.

Greecian-

I had my order in by 12:10 am (Apple Store App wouldn't even work for me until about 12:05 am). The shipping date is October 4-10. Crazy how it moves like that in a matter of minutes.

Someone please tell me that it's possible they'll ship it before then. I don't wanna wait another month :/

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I have a cracked screen on the apple upgrade program. any idea what they're going to do? just charge me the $29?

Okay, dumb question time:

I'm new to this yearly upgrade thing with Sprint (I assume their program works like the rest though). I pay ~$40 per month for the phone. So after a year, I trade in the phone and get a new one. Am I still paying down the old phone as well as making payments on the new one, or does me trading it back in cover the rest of the cost?

Also, does anyone know if Verizon offers to pay off your device if you switch to them? Cuz seriously, fuck Sprint.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
so I have a cracked screen on the apple upgrade program. any idea what they're going to do? just charge me the $29?

I don't think the new $29 price is retroactive. I think you'll be on the hook for the old "fix it" price, which was either $99 or $129.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Okay, dumb question time:

I'm new to this yearly upgrade thing with Sprint (I assume their program works like the rest though). I pay ~$40 per month for the phone. So after a year, I trade in the phone and get a new one. Am I still paying down the old phone as well as making payments on the new one, or does me trading it back in cover the rest of the cost?

Also, does anyone know if Verizon offers to pay off your device if you switch to them? Cuz seriously, fuck Sprint.

When you trade in your device, after meeting the first 12 months of payments, the new phone will then restart your payments - so you'll have to pay another 12 to upgrade again.

The cost doesn't stack. One monthly fee supersedes the other.

If it's going in a case, you can get the gloss without worrying about the downsides. That's what I did. I need a case to use my magnetic phone mount in the car, so it was never a question

Totally ran a audible, and switched to the gloss. The current wait time from Rogers is 6+ weeks. For the matte finish it's 1-2 weeks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
do people still think sales of this phone will bomb?
Hhahahahaha

My girlfriend was a hater but she's going all in with 7 after the keynote

ReAxion

in trying to connect to the ATT site via Apple, they sent a 1-time passcode via text. Entered it to start checkout and the page expired. Tried to get back in, new 1-time passcode wasn't sent and the first one doesn't work (of course). Now locked out for 60 minutes.

Fliesen

you jet black guys... man, that thing is going to be a major fingerprint/scuff magnet. it looks nice on display..

went with Black 7. stayed with 128GB. This will be the first phone I didn't grab the biggest storage size, but I still have like 40GB free on my 6s..

since the content with the highest storage cost on the iPhone is recorded pictures and, even more so, movies, i welcome them doubling it to 128GB.
since my iCloud photo library kinda caps that kind of storage for me with the $ .99 50GB tier, i would've been fine with a 64 gig, too.

Doubling the entry point to 32gigs was sorely needed.

DOWN

Banned

I would think this, but there's nothing on the support site saying "effective xx/xx/2016"
The agreement you received when you enrolled is the agreement you are serviced by. Whatever Apple Care you agreed to buy at the time you got the phone is the Apple Care you get, fees and all.

Top Bottom