• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

From my understanding (what Apple told me last night) is since you reserved for full price you need to pay full price, activate, return, then buy with Apple Upgrade and then finally activate.

They were pretty sure returning it cancelled the stock reservation and getting on Apple upgrade would be the same as if you barely walked through the door on release.

Basically if that's true you gain nothing with the full price reservation.

Your shipped phone cannot be put on Apple upgrade. You will be charged full price right before they ship.

You are in the same boat as me. We have to wait until after release as there is literally no way to preorder and do a t-mobile apple upgrade program before the 16th.
I went to the Apple Store earlier to see if I could preorder with the Apple upgrade for T-Mobile. I had also bought the phone at full retail for pick up at said store. I was told that I need to come in and then tell the associate that I'd like to return the phone and do the upgrade program and they'd handle it from there. Seems T-Mobile doesn't allow financing plans besides their own from the website, for a company that's supposed to be consumer friendly this sure is ass backwards considering Verizon and att allows it.

jcutner

When are we expecting more hands on videos? Would love to see some big YT tech impressions. Already saw MKBHD's.

I'm guessing the only hands on they were privy to was immediately after the conference, and until then we have to wait for the embargo to lift for the hands-on stuff. Unless there's early unboxings from people who get it earlier.

I preordered a 7 plus, and I honestly have no idea why since I have a 6s plus.

I feel like I'm starting to get to the point where these phones are good enough and I can just stick with one for more than two years. To be fair the battery on my phone has been acting up for ages, it'll go from 30% to 15% to 1% in less than 30 minutes. But even with that I'm still asking myself if I really need a newer phone. Who know, maybe I'll feel better about the 7 Plus when I get it and see what new features it has plus what ios 10 features my 6 plus didn't get.

Since I went to sleep after I quoted you, I didn't follow the thread. I'm curious to know if you were successful.

Was able to get the black matte 128 GB version through the phone app maybe 20 minutes after midnight. From what I read it seemed like the AT&T part of the process went to hell shortly after that. My delivery date says 23 Sep, 2016 - 27 Sep, 2016 but who knows if it'll arrive earlier than that.

Ghazi

If I order the iPhone 7 Leather case and it doesn't work well with my 6S, does the Apple Store online play nice with returns? Only difference in terms of dimensions seems to be the camera cutout, which would just mean extra space under the camera for me.

jcutner

I feel like I'm starting to get to the point where these phones are good enough and I can just stick with one for more than two years. To be fair the battery on my phone has been acting up for ages, it'll go from 30% to 15% to 1% in less than 30 minutes. .

This is kinda how I feel. I have the exact same battery issues on my iPhone 6, and the Apple Store said twice my battery is in normal condition. I really felt the need to upgrade with my 3G and 4, because they got so slow towards the 2 year refresh timeframes where you'd type letters then it'd take several seconds before they'd all flutter on the screen or even sliding to answer calls would be very slow. I never felt that same slowness with the iPhone 5 or 6, but I upgraded none the less.

Welp just dove in for the 7+ 256gb matte black. Went rose gold 6+ last year and had to get it replaced and they sent back a gold 6s+ phone lol. Black will be different. Too bad I won't get it until October but Apple sometimes sends them earlier so hopefully I get it on the 16th.

Deku Tree

If you trade in an iPhone 6/6Plus or 6S/6S Plus they will give you monthly credits every month for 30 months totaling $650 when you buy an iPhone 7/7 Plus. So if you trade in your phone and buy an iPhone 7 you'd get it for free after 30 months.

Does that work on the 24 month program? Where can I read about this? Thanks!

If you trade in an iPhone 6/6Plus or 6S/6S Plus they will give you monthly credits every month for 30 months totaling $650 when you buy an iPhone 7/7 Plus. So if you trade in your phone and buy an iPhone 7 you'd get it for free after 30 months.

I'm wondering what condition of the iPhone 5/6 T-Mobile accepts before deducting the $400/$650 credits.

pdk27

On these iPhone T-Mobile trade-ins, I assume they want both pieces of the charger (plug and cable) as well as the phone?

Verizon business rep saying that they probably can get me a jet black 7 Plus for next Friday. Don't quite believe them but I'm hopeful.

Does that work on the 24 month program? Where can I read about this? Thanks!
I think it might work on the 24 month plan since it says either or on their website. Here's a link and the terms below.
https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/smartphones.html?taxoManu=APPLE

*FREE IPHONE 7 32GB OFFER: Limited time (ends September 30, 2016, in Puerto Rico). Select stores and online. Not an AT&T Next upgrade offer. Void in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Miami-Dade. Eligible iPhone 7: New iPhone 7 or 7 Plus on 0% APR AT&T Next (30-month) or AT&T Next Every Year (24-month) installment agreement. Retail price is divided into monthly installments. Tax on full retail price due at sale. After all credits, get an iPhone 7 32GB priced at $650 ($21.67 or $27.09 per month) for free. May apply max credit towards other eligible iPhones priced up to $970, which will be discounted but not free. Wireless: Monthly postpaid voice and data required (existing customers can add to eligible current plans). Eligible Trade-in: Must use the AT&T trade-in program in an eligible store or online. Must trade-in an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, or 6s Plus in good working condition that is fully-paid off. In some stores, you will need to trade-in and make a new purchase in the same transaction. If your iPhone is being shipped, you will receive an email with instructions on how to complete your promo trade-in. Must complete trade-in within 30 days of new iPhone activation. Bill Credit: You must have completed trade-in for credits to start. Credits are applied in equal amounts towards installment payments over entire agreement term. Service must remain active and in good standing and device must remain on its agreement for the entire term to get all credits (if you cancel service, you will owe remaining installment balance of up to $970). If you upgrade or pay up/off agreement early, your credits may cease. Offer Limits: Not combinable with bill credit, switcher, or other discounts on the iPhone offers. Return: Restocking fee up to $45 may apply.

The chance of regretting the matte is way lower than regretting the gloss. One scratch or micro abrasion in the wrong spot and you'll rue the day.

Yeah that's why I'm going with the matte black. It seems like Jet Black, while looking very striking and amazing in photos, won't hold up over time if The Verge images are to be believed. I'd just be concerned when selling it next year that those visible mico-abrasions and scratches would give the appearance it had been mistreated and lower the resale value. Still not sure whether to get the Plus or the 7 though! The specifications and camera on the Plus look amazing but the screen size is off-putting.

VoxPop

Missed out on the Jet Black 128GB Plus. Says November now. Considering just getting the matte black for the time being since it's 2-3 weeks. I can wait.

The wait for more jet black phones is going to be brutal. Gonna mosey on into an Apple Store and take a look at the colors in person and hopefully end up liking matte black more lol.

FStop7

Banned
Verizon just gave me $650 trade in value for my OG iPhone 6 toward a 7 Plus 256gb.

I don't even understand this world.

DOWN

Banned
So for iPhone upgrade people how did your renewal go? Easy to reserve the time and model you'll go in to trade for?

AkumaNiko

How??? There has to be a catch, it's Verizon. I wouldn't have gotten mine full price if I knew you could do this, lol.

There is no catch really.

lets say you get the 128gb iphone 7 plus. thats 869. VZW just gave you 650 for your phone, but its in installments. say your payment for the 7 was $35. The 650 broken up into 24 months is 27. So they charge you 35, credit your account 27 and you are left over paying $8 every month for the 7+

FStop7

Banned

lets say you get the 128gb iphone 7 plus. thats 869. VZW just gave you 650 for your phone, but its in installments. say your payment for the 7 was $35. The 650 broken up into 24 months is 27. So they charge you 35, credit your account 27 and you are left over paying $8 every month for the 7+

Yeah, it's crazy. I mean, I've spent a bunch of posts shitting on the practice of paying installments for a smartphone! But when you get that kind of trade value it's like conventional thinking goes out the window. $40 a month payments for the 256gb 7 plus minus $27 a month credit for the 6 means a net cost of $13 a month. 24 months x 13 dollars = $312. That's a no-brainer unless I am somehow missing a catch, and I don't think I am.

The ETA of my new phone is September 23. That's quicker than I expected.

kaskade

I'm glad we are getting the quicker turnaround on these. I'm guessing we'll see reviews popping up on Tuesday? Enough time to make me even more hyped.

Makki

Is this deal in store only? Im wondering if you could walk in before the promotion ends into a store and walk out with a "free" 32 GB phone before Sept 30th. I'm wondering if the initial pre-order batch sells out that there's a chance only pre-orders will get this deal if a restock doesnt happen soon enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Odds of me being able to walk into my T-Mo store on launch and grab one?

Depends on location, but speaking from past launch experience, if you are there at opening, you will probably be able to get something. However, with so many model, color, and size combinations, it's highly possible you won't be able to get the exact model you might want. I imagine they will get more 32 GB than anything else, too.

On these iPhone T-Mobile trade-ins, I assume they want both pieces of the charger (plug and cable) as well as the phone?

Not in my experience, no. Just the phone.

Servbot24

Banned
I preordered mine in store, 7+ Matte Black 128 GB. Tmobile Jump on demand. Is there somewhere online I can check for shipping info? They told me it would come around the 16th, but i'd kind be surprised since I just ordered it an hour ago.

Clipse

Yup, this deal is insane. I thought it was a website glitch at first.

Nori Chan

Pretty sure I got denied from the credit check due to low credit.

Am I screwed with getting the apple program? Is there no way to put like a down payment and still be a part of it?

Deku Tree

The catch is that if you plan to upgrade your phone next year or if you switch carriers then it's a really bad deal. So Verizon and AT&T are locking you into a contract for two years.

Your giving them your old working good condition phone and you can't get it back if you try to get out of the deal.

If you don't plan to upgrade and you plan to stick with Verizon then it's an amazing deal.

I joined Sprint's iPhone forever plan in March. It seems that the fine print said I had to be in the plan 12 months before upgrading. Does anyone know if there's a way to upgrade to the 7 regardless, or jut by paying down the lease/

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
I called my local AT&T store to see if I can just bring in one of my 6's and they said yep just bring it when I have my new phone and I'm ready to get rid of my old one and they'll do the $650 promotion. $650 for the 6 plus, geezzzzzz and I get to pass my 6s plus to my brother.

Dominator

If I go to Verizon to trade in my current iPhone, will they take it immediately? Or do I have to give it once I get the new one?

Top Bottom