• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I called my local AT&T store to see if I can just bring in one of my 6's and they said yep just bring it when I have my new phone and I'm ready to get rid of my old one and they'll do the $650 promotion. $650 for the 6 plus, geezzzzzz and I get to pass my 6s plus to my brother.

Hmm I guess I can trade in my phone then since I ordered already. Only thing is when does this promotion end? Ship date says early October.

Ashhong

Those trade in deals are basically 2 year contracts from what I gather

Not really since you can trade in after a year to get the next phone. You just may or may not continue to get the credits. Even if you don't get the credits, you still got $325 for your phone trade in over that year period.

Verizon gets a bad rap IMO. These new plans are pretty nice. 4 lines, 20gb data, 160$. With carry over and overage protection. Not bad at all.

Deku Tree

what happens if you try to upgrade next year with with these crazy deals?

Well your phone is only half paid off so you have to give it back or pay it off on the spot, and you don't get the remainder of the credits for your old phone and you don't get your old phone back. Then once you pay for the remaining 50% of your last year phone it's yours.

crustikid

For this ATT trade-in looks like you need to have fully paid off the existing phone in order to trade it in. Definitely the best deal if you have a two year old 6.

Anyone gauge interest at their mobile stores? I was surprised to go to my mall when I went to ask about the trade-in deal and AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile stores were all completely empty save for 1-2 customers in AT&T.

So yesterday at midnight i learned that this IUP does not allow you to get an iPhone at Launch.

Now, i am okay with not getting it at launch but seeing as how last year i got it at launch. It would have been nice to know that the next year, that would not be the case.

I will get out of this program for sure, It is heavily promoted but clearly not very beneficial.

icespide

Banned
So yesterday at midnight i learned that this IUP does not allow you to get an iPhone at Launch.

Now, i am okay with not getting it at launch but seeing as how last year i got it at launch. It would have been nice to know that the next year, that would not be the case.

I will get out of this program for sure, It is heavily promoted but clearly not very beneficial.

what do you mean? I'm doing IUP and I've got a reservation for a phone at launch

manngc

Well your phone is only half paid off so you have to give it back or pay it off on the spot, and you don't get the remainder of the credits for your old phone and you don't get your old phone back. Then once you pay for the remaining 50% of your last year phone it's yours.
Compared to ATT next or even Apple's Upgrade program, if you tried to upgrade within 12 months/payments, you only lose is half of the value of the trade-in ($325), right? That's the only net difference.

All the upgrade programs have you forfeit the old phone and simply start a new 24/30 month payment plan. It saves you the trouble of selling the phone yourself by providing you with 1/2 of the phone's original price (at least $325).

If you go the full 24/30 months, the phone is still yours and you will have received the full $650.

I guess the only other difference with the Apple Upgrade program also is that Applecare has to be bought separately for both phones ($260). But getting Applecare for the first phone if you only keep a year would be rather wasteful (even with the accident coverage).

DOWN

Banned

? I thought it let's you reserve an iUP appointment and new model for launch day so long as you are fast enough checking out online?

Deku Tree

What if I didnt trade in my 7, and instead just bought an 8 outright and swapped SIMs? Wouldn't I still be paying off my 7?

You would either give back your 7 and stop paying it off I think, or you would have to pay it off right away (without getting the remaining credits).

What if I didnt trade in my 7, and instead just bought an 8 outright and swapped SIMs? Wouldn't I still be paying off my 7?
Yes. If you buy an iPhone 8 outright from somebody like Apple your agreement would still be going on even if you swapped SIMs. So if you really wanted an iPhone next year you could just buy it outright from somebody other than AT&T and it won't affect your agreement.

Ashhong

Compared to ATT next or even Apple's Upgrade program, if you tried to upgrade within 12 months/payments, you only lose is half of the value of the trade-in ($325), right? That's the only net difference.

All the upgrade programs have you forfeit the old phone and simply start a new 24/30 month payment plan. It saves you the trouble of selling the phone yourself by providing you with 1/2 of the phone's original price (at least $325).

If you go the full 24/30 months, the phone is still yours and you will have received the full $650.

I guess the only other difference with the Apple Upgrade program also is that Applecare has to be bought separately for both phones ($260). But getting Applecare for the first phone if you only keep a year would be rather wasteful (even with the accident coverage).

The big loss of value between trading in after a year is the fact that you don't own the phone. You are simply leasing the phone. If you wait 2 years, you will pay the same amount of money BUT you will have a phone to sell for around 300$+ after. So the question is, is having the newest model worth about 150$ a year.

Yes. If you buy an iPhone 8 outright from somebody like Apple your agreement would still be going on even if you swapped SIMs. So if you really wanted an iPhone next year you could just buy it outright from somebody other than AT&T and it won't affect your agreement.

Hmm are you sure about this? So I could just sell my 7 and buy a new phone outright after a year. And if I did this, I would still be making device payments and still be receiving credits?

The big loss of value between trading in after a year is the fact that you don't own the phone. You are simply leasing the phone. If you wait 2 years, you will pay the same amount of money BUT you will have a phone to sell for around 300$+ after. So the question is, is having the newest model worth about 150$ a year.

Hmm are you sure about this? So I could just sell my 7 and buy a new phone outright after a year. And if I did this, I would still be making device payments and still be receiving credits?
It's just like a contract. Even if you do not have the phone anymore you still have to continue to pay it off. If you switched phones on your phone line it wouldn't affect the agreement you signed.

Reference this for further information, but I did a bit of research aside from that thread.
https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-...a-phone-on-my-AT-amp-T-NEXT-plan/td-p/4302454

tommyguns

Coming from a Nexus 6P...

The tough choice has finally been made. Decided on a normal size iPhone 7 in matte black. 128 gb.

I will miss the screen size. And of course the dual camera set up on the 7 plus..but I miss super easy one handed use:(

Dart

Verizon Deal fine print

*$649.99 on device payment purchase req’d. Less trade-in credit applied to account over 24 mos; credit begins in 2-3 bill cycles & ends when balance paid; 0% APR. Line must be active for 2 yrs. for full credit; trade-in must be in good working & cosmetic condition. Offer expires 9/30/2016
Eligible phones $650 trade-in value: iPhone 6, 6+, 6S, 6S+.
Eligible phones $400 trade-in value: iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, SE.
**Requires new smartphone line purchased on device payment on new Verizon Plan L (8GB) size. 2GB bonus data applies as long as line remains active on the current new Verizon Plan size L (8GB) or larger but does not carry over.

Does this mean I'll be paying $32 for the first 2-3 months? (iPhone 7 +)

Neoxon

I bought my iPhone 6 from Sprint as of July last year. Could I still trade it in for the iPhone 7 w/ Sprint even though my payment to them for said iPhone 6 is still ongoing?

Dinokill

if I have to wait until my iphone 7 arrives to trade in my 6 what would happen if my iphone ships after the deadline of the deal?

Deku Tree

You use a lot less than 8GB per month?

My wife and I both have a 3GB plan. AT&T gave us a 3GB+3GB plan a few months ago for the same price we didn't even request it. But you only get 3GB of rollover data. We normally use like 1GB a month and have like 8-9GB of data each month including rollover. And it's mostly my wife using the data at work. I am 95% of the time in high speed wifi areas.

I was on the site at 12AM / iPhone App and all iPhone 7 plus models 128 or 256GB not available for pick up.

I will go see them on launch and maybe they have some for walk-ins.

And also I thought I was just not quick enough, but reports online are saying similar things.

IUP had a more limited amount of phones to choose from. Who knows.

DOWN

Banned
I was on the site at 12AM / iPhone App and all iPhone 7 plus models 128 or 256GB not available for pick up.

I will say that I was enrolling in the program for the first time and no stores showed pickup at all. Had to have it shipped.

icespide

Banned

yeah that's just an unfortunate inventory issue + the fact that you have to do in store pick up with IUP. there's no actual rule about getting a phone on launch with IUP though

AkumaNiko

Yeah, it's crazy. I mean, I've spent a bunch of posts shitting on the practice of paying installments for a smartphone! But when you get that kind of trade value it's like conventional thinking goes out the window. $40 a month payments for the 256gb 7 plus minus $27 a month credit for the 6 means a net cost of $13 a month. 24 months x 13 dollars = $312. That's a no-brainer unless I am somehow missing a catch, and I don't think I am.

The ETA of my new phone is September 23. That's quicker than I expected.

word from reps are they (verizon) may be getting more than they allotted for th 16th so you may get bumped up

DOWN

Banned

yeah that's just an unfortunate inventory issue + the fact that you have to do in store pick up with IUP. there's no actual rule about getting a phone on launch with IUP though
In theory you can get in line on launch day and do it, right? In case you didn't get a reservation?

FStop7

Banned
Verizon Deal fine print

Does this mean I'll be paying $32 for the first 2-3 months? (iPhone 7 +)

Correct, that's my interpretation. The first couple of payments are uncredited and then it kicks in. That also fit the napkin math I did when figuring out the trade-in deal.

word from reps are they (verizon) may be getting more than they allotted for th 16th so you may get bumped up

Awesome. Can't wait.

In theory you can get in line on launch day and do it, right? In case you didn't get a reservation?

Yes. Stores will have stock for walk-ins but you might not be able to get the size or color you want. The easiest way if you're willing to wait a day or two to get the phone you really want, after the 17th and reservations open up again, you'll be able to use the Apple store stock trackers, find a nearby store and then grab the next Genius reservation to get the phone. They'll reserve it and hold it for you until you get there.

what happens if you try to upgrade next year with with these crazy deals?
My assumption is that you've gotta pay the rest of the phone off since the deal is for 2 years.
Those trade in deals are basically 2 year contracts from what I gather
Pretty much.
Im on the unlimited Verizon plan. My only option of keeping the plan is if I buy the phone full price?
Yes

Clipse

Verizon rep told me once 12 months has passed I can trade-in the iPhone 7 for whatever the new phone is. Verizon buys out the rest of phone and remaining promo trade-in credit disappears.

So if I do trade-in next year, wouldn't my current trade-in be valued at $325 instead of the base $250? Still seems like a great deal.

Deku Tree

Verizon rep told me once 12 months has passed I can trade-in the iPhone 7 for whatever the new phone is. Verizon buys out the rest of phone and remaining promo trade-in credit disappears.

So if I do trade-in next year, wouldn't my current trade-in be valued at $325 instead of the base $250? Still seems like a great deal.

Maybe not since the first 2-3 months don't get any credits. You might be getting approx the same $250 or maybe even slightly less like $235 if they give you $31 a month in credit.

They always structure things so that they win.

FinKL

This seems updated on Apple's site. Mainly concerns TMobile customers wanting to use IUP.
Only way to get IUP is via walk in the store, not online/ship to store?

LMPpThX.png

Don't remember the banner looking like that last night

the free phone program on T-Mobile is kind of nuts.. if you end up canceling for whatever reason you have to pay the remaining price on the EIP and on top of that you sent in your phone for free and they will not credit it on the final bill.

Ashhong

It's just like a contract. Even if you do not have the phone anymore you still have to continue to pay it off. If you switched phones on your phone line it wouldn't affect the agreement you signed.

Reference this for further information, but I did a bit of research aside from that thread.
https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-...a-phone-on-my-AT-amp-T-NEXT-plan/td-p/4302454

So in that case, I could indeed just sell off my 7, buy an 8 outright, and continue to receive credits for the next year...hmmmm

Top Bottom