• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

These deals are only good for people who trade in a 6/6s NOT a 6+, right? I have a 6+ and want to get in on this kind of deal but it seems im SOL. I'm at ATT.
It's for 6/6 Plus or 6S/6S Plus. Only issue is no matter what phone you trade in you only get the $650 credits so you'd have to pay extra for the 7+ if you want one.

So I got screwed with tmobile jump, I gave them 80 bucks for nothing as they want me to give them 400 to get the i7 , fuck it.

I'm going to pay off the remaining of my phone and get the apple upgrade program, how does it work ?

Where do I sell my SE 16gb , so it's just 32 bucks a month plus tmobile plan ? When should I go

-714 credit, do I quality?

So how did the jump screw you? Can't you upgrade once every 12 months?

Ashhong

Very nervous about getting it shipped to where I live. I normally ship everything to my mother's house and just drive out and pick it up.

Got a fuck ton of shady neighbors. But the one major trouble-maker is locked up for two months so I should be good.

Not gonna risk trying to change anything. Got my 256gb Black 7+ not gonna try it, lol.

IIRC Apple demands signatures, so you should be fine as long as you're home to accept it.

I'm buying an off hand iPhone 6. How do I check if it's not stolen or doesn't have bad anything such as ESN. How do I check for water damage?

I got an iPhone 5S, but It has a hairline scratch that spands sidewise. :(

k62ZLWG.jpg

Is this still eligible for $400 trade in T-Mobile?

DOWN

Banned
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/09/iphone-upgrade-program-iphone-7-headaches/

So that explains why I didn't see any black phones at 3:01 (or whenever the page actually popped up). This does suck and hopefully they don't pull something like this in the future. Doesn't feel fair.
Uh that's awful. So just to check, after I make 12 payments, can I trade the phone and go back to AT&T Next for the next launch? Like you can jump ship and give them the phone back but not continue with the iUP as long as you've hit 12 payments? Just in case they pull that crap for iUP next year

Uh that's awful. So just to check, after I make 12 payments, can I trade the phone and go back to AT&T Next for the next launch? Like you can jump ship and give them the phone back but not continue with the iUP as long as you've hit 12 payments? Just in case they pull that crap for iUP next year

Nope. They only accept an early upgrade if you're moving to a new phone

Deku Tree

The only way to get out of iUP is to pay off your phone, or finish the two years of payments. If you want to early upgrade after one year you can only stick with iUP or pay off your phone and sell it. Then you still paid for two years of AppleCare+ and never used it though.

DOWN

Banned
Nope. They only accept an early upgrade if you're moving to a new phone
It says you can pay it off early and aren't required to upgrade though. So by that, they mean you can pay the 24 payments by the time the new launch comes and then sell it or trade it and jump out of the program? But if you want to want to jump out after one year and only 12 payments, they'll only let you trade that phone if you are renewing iUP?

I guess I don't have to think about this for another year but I only just found out that it can be seemingly tough to get your model since they limit supply to iUP renewal customers

It says you can pay it off early and aren't required to upgrade though. So by that, they mean you can pay the 24 payments by the time the new launch comes and then sell it or trade it and jump out of the program? But if you want to want to jump out after one year and only 12 payments, they'll only let you trade that phone if you are renewing iUP?

I guess I don't have to think about this for another year but I only just found out that it can be seemingly tough to get your model since they limit supply to iUP renewal customers

Correct, after 6 months you can pay up to 24 and be out of the contract entirely, but if you want to pay up to 12 and turn the phone in that's only valid if you're getting another phone on another iUP plan

And trust me, I know. The second I got in they didn't have my model or anything but a rose gold at my two local stores and we're not big enough to be sold out that fast

Deku Tree

My problem with it is if I have to make a 13th or 14th payment because of inavailability of my desired iPhone model, then you still have to give up your old phone and that's just a lost $40-80 or w/e that you don't get back. The price of wanting a new phone every year I guess.

randome

It works for 6, 6+, 6s and 6s +.

It's for 6/6 Plus or 6S/6S Plus. Only issue is no matter what phone you trade in you only get the $650 credits so you'd have to pay extra for the 7+ if you want one.

Oh, ok, great! Are there any downsides to doing this if I get a new phone ever 2 years? I can't imagine I'll do better than $650 for my 6+. I think I'll probably get a 7, so that $650 should just about cover it. How long does this promo run for? Can I wait til I get the new phone to trade it in? I really appreciate the help!

Oh, ok, great! Are there any downsides to doing this if I get a new phone ever 2 years? I can't imagine I'll do better than $650 for my 6+. I think I'll probably get a 7, so that $650 should just about cover it. How long does this promo run for? Can I wait til I get the new phone to trade it in? I really appreciate the help!
It's good if you plan on not changing your phone until 2018. All of these trade in promos aren't that good if you plan on getting the new iPhone next year. Promo ends on 9/30 and you have to trade in your phone 30 days from the day you activate your 7. Instructions on the trade in will be emailed to you. The credits don't come in until 3 months after but after those 3 months they will credit you the phone month after month up to $650

Rootbeer

Banned
does swappa have a way to list your phone and not ship until after a certain date? I need my phone until the 17th, but would like to see what bites I can get before then.

randome

It's good if you plan on not changing your phone until 2018. All of these trade in promos aren't that good if you plan on getting the new iPhone next year. Promo ends on 9/30 and you have to trade in your phone 30 days from the day you activate your 7. Instructions on the trade in will be emailed to you. The credits don't come in until 3 months after but after those 3 months they will credit you the phone month after month up to $650

Dude, thats awesome, thanks! Never thought i'd get close to $650 for this basic 6+ (16gb). So do I go there before 9/30, say I wanna trade it in, then wait til i get my 7 (whenever that may be) and then trade it in within 30 days of activating the new phone? I feel like this is too good to be true lol.

randome

Can anyone here tell me what the difference (besides the size) is between the 7 and 7+? I have a 6+ and I think its too big, but I want to make sure i'm not gonna regret downsizing. Battery (how much less for the 7?), camera, screen size, and thats it?

DOWN

Banned
Can anyone here tell me what the difference (besides the size) is between the 7 and 7+? I have a 6+ and I think its too big, but I want to make sure i'm not gonna regret downsizing. Battery, camera, screen size, and thats it?
Well 7+ has 3GB of RAM for better multitasking and it has a better resolution at 401ppi.

Ashhong

God dammit I am going to be so mad if there is a 7S and not the big rumored redesign. I am waiting another year to upgrade next year. If next year is a 7S I will be forced to upgrade then as my 6 will be too old, and I'll have to lose money to upgrade at the 8 cycle.

Clipse

Question about Verizon's $650 trade-in promo: How exactly do they plan to split the $650 within 24 months when the credit doesn't actually start appearing until 2-3 months in?

Will the first credit be 2-3 month's worth to catch up or will they try to do it at the end of the 24 months to make upgrading early less attractive?

Ashhong

Question about Verizon's $650 trade-in promo: How exactly do they plan to split the $650 within 24 months when the credit doesn't actually start appearing until 2-3 months in?

Will the first credit be 2-3 month's worth to catch up or will they try to do it at the end of the 24 months to make upgrading early less attractive?

I read a few people saying they play catch up in the first few months, but no official details from what I could find.

My problem with it is if I have to make a 13th or 14th payment because of inavailability of my desired iPhone model, then you still have to give up your old phone and that's just a lost $40-80 or w/e that you don't get back. The price of wanting a new phone every year I guess.

I didn't even think of this...now I'm pretty annoyed that Apple pulled that if true. There is no way 3/5 of the colors were sold out within literally minutes at my local store. If they put IUP users into a different stream of availability I hope people make a bigger stink out of this. :/

Ashhong

Honestly it is probably better to just pay off your phone and sell it, and start a new payment plan for the next one. If that's possible.

ESBL

I selected T-Mobile as my carrier on the Apple store check out screen but I am actually going to be on AT&T - I assume I'm still fine as both carriers use GSM?

No its going to be a very expensive music player for you, you need to select AT&T or Verizon. Verizon phones are the only phones that are unlocked otherwise the rest are locked to their respective carriers.

No its going to be a very expensive music player for you, you need to select AT&T or Verizon. Verizon phones are the only phones that are unlocked otherwise the rest are locked to their respective carriers.

I feel like this isn't true, but I don't know enough about it to refute it.

ESBL

I feel like this isn't true, but I don't know enough about it to refute it.

Its how carriers keep you on their network, they typically require a phone to be at least halfway to completely paid off to unlock the phone. With the exception being Verizon since they are federally mandated to unlock all their LTE enabled phones. Part of their stipulation for buying up a majority of low-band cellular frequencies.

Armadilo

Banned
So how did the jump screw you? Can't you upgrade once every 12 months?

With jump I could upgrade to a new phone as long as I have half of my phone payed off, which I do. With jump would pay the rest of my phone but what the upfront money is what got me.

I thought I would just trade in my SE and just get the i7 and then pay the monthly payments without the upfront costs. I have good credit, I think 713 score but nada. Was only paying the added jump costs because I thought it was going to go like that. I asked the people when I got the SE since my plan was always to get the 7. Fuck

ESBL

Yes, you'll be fine. Since you can only buy T-Mobile phones full price and unlocked

I stand corrected, last year Apple wasn't offering unlocked phones at launch, only Verizon phones. But why wouldn't you go with the Verizon model that includes CDMA and GSM bands? I'm assuming the Verizon model includes all the bands on T-Mobile and AT&T.

Akira

I have a 128GB iPhone 6S Plus that I fully paid off when I bought it last year. I currently have T-Mobile. I don't NEED the iPhone 7 right now, but what's the best way to trade in/sell my 6S+ to get an 128GB iPhone 7 Plus that will allow me to upgrade easily to the iPhone 8 next year?

for anyone thinking of trading in your current phone with tmobile just be aware that if your phone has physical damage (scratches or dents) they will not take your phone or the standard trade in valuation will apply.

what happens if you decide on returning the phone within 14 days? will you get the old phone returned? if they give you a lower value trade in and decide that your phone doesn't qualify for the iPhone on us program can you demand that the phone be returned instead of paying the full EIP?

I stand corrected, last year Apple wasn't offering unlocked phones at launch, only Verizon phones. But why wouldn't you go with the Verizon model that includes CDMA and GSM bands? I'm assuming the Verizon model includes all the bands on T-Mobile and AT&T.

It's a difference in what the website lets you do. I'm making an educated guess here, but the T-Mobile phone says "Unlocked with a T-Mobile SIM" while the Verizon phone says "Unlocked and Connected to Verizon Wireless". Which to me says the Verizon one requires an account while the T-Mobile one doesn't

Edit: I can confirm this. The T-Mobile phone lets me just add it to my bag while the Verizon one makes me log in with account details

Fliesen

Can anyone here tell me what the difference (besides the size) is between the 7 and 7+? I have a 6+ and I think its too big, but I want to make sure i'm not gonna regret downsizing. Battery (how much less for the 7?), camera, screen size, and thats it?

Well 7+ has 3GB of RAM for better multitasking and it has a better resolution at 401ppi.

Also, the Plus model supports using the phone in landscape mode a bit more.
- the home screen icons rotate when you hold the phone sideways
- the plus has added buttons on the landscape keyboard.
(top being the 'regular sized' keyboard, bottom is the keyboard of the plus model

Oscar

I have a 128GB iPhone 6S Plus that I fully paid off when I bought it last year. I currently have T-Mobile. I don't NEED the iPhone 7 right now, but what's the best way to trade in/sell my 6S+ to get an 128GB iPhone 7 Plus that will allow me to upgrade easily to the iPhone 8 next year?
Their "JUMP" program allows you to trade in/upgrade 3 times a year.

I preordered a 7 and they said I could do the same next year with the 8.

Guess Who

Banned

(top being the 'regular sized' keyboard, bottom is the keyboard of the plus model

The extra keys on the Plus landscape keyboard are actually a huge turnoff. I don't want all those extra keys! I want the letter keys to be wider!

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

No one uses or cares about that.

-d0hv

Fliesen

The extra keys on the Plus landscape keyboard are actually a huge turnoff. I don't want all those extra keys! I want the letter keys to be wider!

No one uses or cares about that.

-d0hv

i agree with both of you. Just thought i'd point out these differences for completeness sake.

(also they're precedence of Apple not being scared of offering software features to the 'plus' Model that aren't there on the non-plus. While the current features they offer are pointless-to-actually-bad, iOS 11 might offer features to plus users that aren't available on smaller phones, like maybe multitasking in landscape, picture in picture. These rather useless features are an indication that we shouldn't be too sure that there'll always be software feature parity on both phones, even within the same generation)

edit: while i don't have a plus model, i do believe the rotating home screen is somewhat useful for when you're using your phone for taking a lot of pictures, maybe switching between apps / homescreen pages, while still holding your phone in landscape. it's essentially the homescreen layout for "camera mode".

Hmm. I wasn't interested in the slightest until I heard about the T-Mobile deal. My current iPhone 6 is only 16 GB too, so 32 GB would also be an upgrade.

Pre-ordered a regular 7 128gb matte black yesterday morning at around 8:05am (UK time).

Set to be delivered on launch day :D

This is my first Apple launch experience, lol

Top Bottom