• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Damn websites were hit so hard that it picked a silver instead of a black I had to call to get them to cancel and redo it and I just found out there is a 20$ help fee for calling to have T-Mobile customer service order for you wtf is this kind of shit

So I preordered my 128GB plus from Sprint and I'm Excited !

So i already backed up my 50 gig stuff on itunes with the backup thing they have on thete.. Will that also back up my safari bookmarks btw ? Does the backup thing on itunes backup every photos,music, apps and etc ?

Or do I have to rely on iCloud?

Fliesen

So I preordered my 128GB plus from Sprint and I'm Excited !

So i already backed up my 50 gig stuff on itunes with the backup thing they have on thete.. Will that also back up my safari bookmarks btw ? Does the backup thing on itunes backup every photos,music, apps and etc ?

Or do I have to rely on iCloud?

stuff like Safari Bookmarks, Contacts etc. don't really need to be 'backed up' because those are synced with iCloud constantly, anyways. (unless you turned that off, intentionally)

Just to see what it would cost me, I went into Upgrade Check on AT&T. All it showed was how much the iPhone would cost with a few accessories and some insurance. No plan rate breakdowns other than buying it outright and AT&T's Next plan. Just a Checkout at the bottom. Normally when I upgraded, I did it through Apple and they had all buy options on one page including what your Data/Text/Call rates would be. Is that on the page after Checkout?

Mideon

Pre-ordered a regular 7 128gb matte black yesterday morning at around 8:05am (UK time).

Set to be delivered on launch day :D

This is my first Apple launch experience, lol
Yeah I was on there from 8 and black kept coming up for delivery on the 26th so just left it. Not paying silly prices if I'm not getting it on launch day.

SeanR1221

If I were to order a phone to my house on the apple payment plan, can I bring my old phone into apple that's already on the payment plan and trade it in to pay off my original lone?

Or can you only do the apple upgrade plan in store when getting another phone?

realwords

How do I get an AT&T phone on Apple's Upgrade Plan if I'm not necessarily an AT&T subscriber? I'm on an MVNO (Straight Talk) that uses their towers.

How do I get an AT&T phone on Apple's Upgrade Plan if I'm not necessarily an AT&T subscriber? I'm on an MVNO (Straight Talk) that uses their towers.

Believe you gotta go to actual store. I tried to order one for my gf who is on cricket and no one could do it unless I actually came into store

giga

rHcQhFI.png

Slowly going back to what the 4 was.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
How is this compared to other smartphones?

Smokes the living shit out of any SOC that Android has to offer. Not to mention the performance loss due to poor OS implementation by some third parties in real world usage *cough Samsung cough*

Single Core performance is most important metric since almost all apps on Android are poorly multi-threaded.

Samsung Exynos 8890:- Single Core: 1809 Multi-Core: 5216

Apple A10 Fusion: Single Core: 3465 Multi-Core: 5610

A9X (iPad Pro): Single Core: 3011 Multi-Core: 4882

Also, Geekbench shows only two processors (of 4) are handling the Multi-Core benchmark so you the app might need to be updated for iOS10 and the new A10 Fusion.

7 Plus also has 3GB of RAM. :)

giga

as a comparison.

The removal of the horizontal seam made that possible.

The camera was also moved much farther to the left edge. It could also be the "driver ledge" the buzzfeed article on the headphone jack mentioned, which was moved from the top to the bottom of the device.

Deku Tree

Before iPhone launch time everyone told me to use the App Store app instead of the web page but that was a mistake. I spend like 10 minutes trying to get the App Store app to communicate with AT&T but it wasn't working and the app doesn't give you the "save your place in line" message like you can get on Apple.com. Then I switched to Apple.com and the bandwidth was fine but by then I was already 15 minutes behind everyone else.

Apple should have more plus stock at launch anyway SMH.

kaskade

Click benchmark charts at the top.

I don't know too much about the intricacies of those numbers but iOS smokes the Android phones in the single core stuff. I'm just curious how much and what actually uses the single core though? Multicore seems a bit closer but I really don't know the relation of those numbers so that couple hundred points could be a lot.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Before iPhone launch time everyone told me to use the App Store app instead of the web page but that was a mistake. I spend like 10 minutes trying to get the App Store app to communicate with AT&T but it wasn't working and the app doesn't give you the "save your place in line" message like you can get on Apple.com. Then I switched to Apple.com but by then I was already 15 minutes behind everyone else.

Apple should have more plus stock at launch anyway SMH.

Ah so in the U.S it forwarded you to AT&T because you are signed up with them like in the upgrade program? Sounds like AT&T fault if they were handling the information otherwise it is Apples if AT&T did not touch the data.

The App worked perfectly for me was very fast and simple I had setup my account details and added what I had wanted to my favorites the night before.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. :(

Deku Tree

Ah so in the U.S it forwarded you to AT&T because you are signed up with them like in the upgrade program? Sounds like AT&T fault if they were handling the information otherwise it is Apples if AT&T did not touch the data.

The App worked perfectly for me was very fast and simple I had setup my account details and added what I had wanted to my favorites the night before.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. :(

Apple has to verify your phone information with AT&T to process your order even if you just buy the whole phone up front. That process wasn't working on the App and the App doesn't give you the "save your place in line" option that you can get on the Apple web store.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I don't know too much about the intricacies of those numbers but iOS smokes the Android phones in the single core stuff. I'm just curious how much and what actually uses the single core though? Multicore seems a bit closer but I really don't know the relation of those numbers so that couple hundred points could be a lot.

Why Apple smokes the rest comes down to actual CPU design (bandwidth, latency, the way the SOC handles thread execution and prediction, and a whole host of other design choices) & having the huge advantage of not only knowing their SOC's inside & out but building their OS around it while Android simply can't do that because it's a "open" platform.

Deku Tree

How does Swappa work?

Are the pay pal fee's exorbitant?

I'd rather just give my phone to best buy or AT&T than have to deal with whiny buyers who might try to screw me and mightcomplain about every little minuscule scratch in the corner or complain that my battery doesn't have 100% of the capacity that it had when it was new.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Apple has to verify your phone information with AT&T to process your order even if you just buy the whole phone up front. That process wasn't working on the App and the App doesn't give you the "save your place in line" option that you can get on the Apple web store.

Wow that is some bullshit, Deku. :(

ended up pre-ordering the regular 7 128gb thru best buy. Having no 3.5mm jack is not a big issue to me since I rarely ever charge my phone and listening to music at the same time. Only time I use headphones is when I'm working out. Water resistant really sold me since I've messed up 2 prior iphones because of water damage.

I know Apple has the trade in option on their website for Apple store credit, but can I walk into a Apple store and do the same thing? Says I can get $225 for my iphone 6 and I'll just use that to finally get the new Apple Watch. Rather not ship my phone in blindly.

Smokes the living shit out of any SOC that Android has to offer. Not to mention the performance loss due to poor OS implementation by some third parties in real world usage *cough Samsung cough*

Single Core performance is most important metric since almost all apps on Android are poorly multi-threaded.

Samsung Exynos 8890:- Single Core: 1809 Multi-Core: 5216

Apple A10 Fusion: Single Core: 3465 Multi-Core: 5610

A9X (iPad Pro): Single Core: 3011 Multi-Core: 4882

Also, Geekbench shows only two processors (of 4) are handling the Multi-Core benchmark so you the app might need to be updated for iOS10 and the new A10 Fusion.

7 Plus also has 3GB of RAM. :)

I'm guessing that you can't explicitly use/detect the low power cores. The OS will report it as a dual core system and distribute work automatically.
Doing it like that also reduces confusion for when they eventually ship CPUs with 4 identical cores on their phones.

Mii

Banned
Ordering through AT&T, was previously showing delivery on the 16th, now showing as "back ordered" but no changes to the dates. Anyone else in this bucket?

7 Matte Black 128GB @ 3:12am EST for anyone curious

How does Swappa work?

Are the pay pal fee's exorbitant?

I'd rather just give my phone to best buy or AT&T than have to deal with whiny buyers who might try to screw me and mightcomplain about every little minuscule scratch in the corner or complain that my battery doesn't have 100% of the capacity that it had when it was new.

I used it to sell my 6+ last year. I think the buyer pays a flat $10 fee for the sale and PayPay takes the standard 3.5% cut of the transaction. That's it. Seems the community is pretty good about weeding out poor sellers and buyers.

skybald

How does the Sprint iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 upgrade work?

My gf has a 64 GB 6. She got it a couple of months ago (went with more space over the 6s 16 GB).

There is a monthly phone payment. If she upgrades to the 7, does that payment go away (about $25 a month I think it is)?

She likes her unlimited plan so she doesn't have a problem being 'stuck' for 2 years with that.

They have a pretty good help section on the site so I would also suggest you use that. My other word of advice is make sure you take good pictures and try and describe any issues with the phone as well as you can. That way people know exactly what they are getting if the decide to purchase your phone.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm guessing that you can't explicitly use/detect the low power cores. The OS will report it as a dual core system and distribute work automatically.
Doing it like that also reduces confusion for when they eventually ship CPUs with 4 identical cores on their phones.

Yeah I was thinking same thing. Should give us an option for beast mode. ;)

"Siri activate beast mode"

"Siri: All cores on max power hold on to your lighting cables"

Sigh, I got a quote from a nearby repair store and it would cost $89 to replace the screen of an iPhone 5s.

Is $300 discount worth for iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black? I plan on selling that if somebody offers at least $1200 and I can order another phone.

Edit: I got another quote from another place for $69.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I've got AppleCare+ for my 256GB 7Plus, but was just wondering do these tempered glass screen protectors reduce the touch response?

I recall using normal screen protector years a go and the things were fucking horrible in how the reduced responsiveness & feel.

Edit: Tony do it.

MrMephistoX

Any idea what I could realistically expect to get for a nearly new 6+ 64GB: Apple gave me a new one about 2 months ago rather than repair.

Craigslist was fine when I lived in Portland -aka the safest city in America- but I'm worried about getting robbed in L.A lol so thinking eBay.

Top Bottom