• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

outsidah

i managed to pick up a 32GB iPhone 7 that's expected to ship on 9/15-9/16 from tmobile but i think im going to exchange it for the 128GB version after it arrives. is anyone doing the same or do you guys think 32GB is enough?

32GB will get you by, the only thing is that if you like to take photos, you will be served well by using a cloud backup solution (like Google Photos) to keep your phone storage as clean as possible. I think you'll be fine with the 32GB, but you would be more comfortable with the 128 without really needing to worry about space.

NYR

So, I plan on lining up to get a jet black iPhone 7 Plus. Am I wasting my time since supply seems limited?

Thinking going 3 hours before store opens.

Vyer

My ship date is showing like the 25th right now. I'm going to go to the TMo store on Friday to do the trade in for my wife's phone. If it hasn't shipped by then I'm just gonna cancel it and buy while I'm there. We'll see how it goes.

So, I plan on lining up to get a jet black iPhone 7 Plus. Am I wasting my time since supply seems limited?

probably depends on where you are. It's going to be tough. Your best bet are going to be the big flagship stores of the carriers and the Apple Stores I guess. But even then....probably not

i just saw a jet black plus and airpods in the wild

what did you think?

Sean

Banned
Got a question for anyone has done the iPhone Upgrade Program last year. Did it hurt your credit score much? I assume the initial credit check is a hard pull, wondering how many points that will drop from your credit score and when/if it has recovered.

I can afford to buy the phone outright but this upgrade program (and getting the newest phone every year) just seems more convenient. But just want to know if there's any major downsides in terms of credit.

sangreal

Got a question for anyone has done the iPhone Upgrade Program last year. Did it hurt your credit score much? I assume the initial credit check is a hard pull, wondering how many points that will drop from your credit score and when/if it has recovered.

I can afford to buy the phone outright but this upgrade program (and getting the newest phone every year) just seems more convenient. But just want to know if there's any major downsides in terms of credit.

I signed up this year and it was definitely a hard pull. Not the end of the world. Was on equifax for me and did not drop my fico at all

M_A_C

just did the $650 trade in deal at At&t. Going from a space gray 128gb 6 plus to a Black 256gb 7 Plus. I think it's a good deal because I could probably only sell the 6 plus for $500 or so right? Looks like I won't get it for about month if I'm to believe their estimate.

i managed to pick up a 32GB iPhone 7 that's expected to ship on 9/15-9/16 from tmobile but i think im going to exchange it for the 128GB version after it arrives. is anyone doing the same or do you guys think 32GB is enough?
it's pushing it if you take a lot of photos/store lots of music locally/download lots of apps for 2 years. If you upgrade every year it's probably fine, or if you don't really do those things.

I'll be really curious how big of a difference going from 2GB -> 3GB of RAM makes.

The thing is, I don't feel like the 3GB will be fully taken advantage of until Apple majorly updates the operating system, allowing for greater multitasking, potentially more traditional memory management, and a larger focus on productivity.

And by the time that happens, I'll probably already be on a new phone.

I'm wondering is the extra gb of ram is reserved specifically for the camera by the OS. I'm just tired of playing a game, checking a website and finding my game restarted. Or any activity when I'm multitasking.

it's pushing it if you take a lot of photos/store lots of music locally/download lots of apps for 2 years. If you upgrade every year it's probably fine, or if you don't really do those things.

yeah i will probably end up swapping out the 32GB for 128. i might skip the 7S unless tmobile runs a similar deal again.

SeanR1221

I'm lining up to literally get any plus (128 or 256) outside of the rose gold. Hopefully I can get something at the Apple Store. This stupid pre order system was so dumb this year for the upgrade peogram

DarkJC

I'm wondering is the extra gb of ram is reserved specifically for the camera by the OS. I'm just tired of playing a game, checking a website and finding my game restarted. Or any activity when I'm multitasking.

There's no way the camera needs an entire GB all to itself 100% of the time.

My take: 2GB -> 3GB will probably be noticeable if you're a super heavy user, but I don't think its a big enough difference to buy the Plus JUST for the amount of ram.

Diagol

OMG you would think that a company like Apple, which has something like 8 billion dollars in cash reserves, would invest in a somewhat competent call system. I was on hold with them for 3 HOURS and got disconnected. I just need to change my method of payment with them because my stupid bank won't let the charge go through because they think it was fraudulent. So frustrating.

icespide

Banned
OMG you would think that a company like Apple, which has something like 8 billion dollars in cash reserves, would invest in a somewhat competent call system. I was on hold with them for 3 HOURS and got disconnected. I just need to change my method of payment with them because my stupid bank won't let the charge go through because they think it was fraudulent. So frustrating.
they're likely getting more calls than any company in the world ever every 10 minutes right now. they have 200 billion in cash reserves btw

Strakt

Got my order bumped up by calling apple. Was originally sept 26th - oct 3rd. Best part is they did it for FREE!

QGaDy5H.png

Got my order bumped up by calling apple. Was originally sept 26th - oct 3rd. Best part is they did it for FREE!

QGaDy5H.png

They refused to do anything like that for me today and I'm still salty as fuck about it. Whole preorder process through Apple was a shitshow for me this year. Wouldn't change my shipping address either since for some stupid reason it only ships to the billing address tied to your AT&T account. Ugh. Might just go around town Friday and see what I can find.

So how i should I tranfer all my files(apps,music,etc,contacts,etc) to my iphone7 plus when it comes out ? Do I use ICloud first then restore my newly created backup ? Or vice versa ?

So how i should I tranfer all my files(apps,music,etc,contacts,etc) to my iphone7 plus when it comes out ? Do I use ICloud first then restore my newly created backup ? Or vice versa ?

Backups are the easiest way. It includes everything but media (synced music/movies/tv shows from iTunes) as those have to originate from the source computer

iCloud should do mostly everything except for music and apps iirc.

Music is always the annoying part, I'm in the process of organizing my music on my computer so that the transfer will be easier.

Eiolon

My brother works for them in the call center and he says it's absolutely insane. There are enough calls in the queue to last a week at 24/7 and Apple is offering them insane over time. They try but it's just that popular.

Dinokill

just did the $650 trade in deal at At&t. Going from a space gray 128gb 6 plus to a Black 256gb 7 Plus. I think it's a good deal because I could probably only sell the 6 plus for $500 or so right? Looks like I won't get it for about month if I'm to believe their estimate.

How it was? I'm planning to trade in mine but my 7+ is arriving in October. Can I trade in mine right know? Did they said anything about the end date? What did you need to bring apart from the iPhone to do trade in? Did they ask you for your license( I lost mine yesterday lol)?

You can go in and trade it in right now? I ordered mine today and they didn't ask for it. I'm a bit worried about mine because it says I won't get mine until next month and I don't know if they'll honor the promotion when mine ships.

M_A_C

How it was? I'm planning to trade in mine but my 7+ is arriving in October. Can I trade in mine right know? Did they said anything about the end date? What did you need to bring apart from the iPhone to do trade in? Did they ask you for your license( I lost mine yesterday lol)?

You can go in and trade it in right now? I ordered mine today and they didn't ask for it. I'm a bit worried about mine because it says I won't get mine until next month and I don't know if they'll honor the promotion when mine ships.

Yes they ask for your license. They said there is no end date for the promotion at the moment, but I was signed up for the promotion today, and to just bring my phone in when the new one arrives at the store.

sangreal

Apple would be very offended to find out you think they only have 8 billion dollars in cash reserves

is it just the apple store service that sucks? because the last time I had to call apple about something (buying applecare because their website doesn't work), I just hung up when put on hold and they called me back 30 minutes later. I know you can schedule calls on getsupport.apple.com for other issues too

jwick

Unconfirmed Member

If you use any kind of camera upload app (Dropbox, Google Photos etc.) 32GB is more than enough. 16 was pretty much terrible, but between streaming music (even with local caching) and syncing your photos to the cloud (and keeping local clean) -- you should have no issues with 32. Depends on your usage though, some people like to keep everything on their phone.

randome

They told me I had to wait until I got my new phone to trade in my old one. I got a 32gb matte black 7+, est. ship date is like October 10 or something lol.

Moshio

Neo Member
I ordered my phone when the preorders went live on Friday through Verizon's website. Is it normal for the order status to still not show up? It currently says: "Your order is currently being processed. Please check back later."

Will it say that up until it's time to ship, or should that status have been updated by now?

TUSR

Banned
Still can't decide on Jet Black or Black.

Would like to see the wear characteristics of the Jet Black in more detail.

Ibuki

Banned
I ordered my phone when the preorders went live on Friday through Verizon's website. Is it normal for the order status to still not show up? It currently says: "Your order is currently being processed. Please check back later."

Will it say that up until it's time to ship, or should that status have been updated by now?

Mine is exactly the same (ordered in the morning on Friday). I have an expected ship date in my e-mail confirmation, but my order shows the same as yours on the site.

Still can't decide on Jet Black or Black.

Would like to see the wear characteristics of the Jet Black in more detail.

Jet Black looks wonderful, but I decided to go with Black just in case.

Top Bottom