• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

giga

Info so far seems to indicate the second lens on the 7 plus does not have OIS. Since it's a tighter angle it will show more shake and may not handle low light as well. The software DoF effect is obviously imperfect even in the sample images from the announcement. So while it might be nice to have I am sure next year will refine the system, and it might be prudent to wait.
KGI confirmed OIS for the telephoto lens next year, so yes.

i don't think there is. You still need to have an app like VLC and do the "open in" thing.

any particular reason you'd want to switch? please don't say "bored of iOS" :p
seeing as you're clearly comfortable with the OS, switching to an iPhone 7 is basically just entering your AppleID, while migrating to an Android phone might certainly be somewhat of a bigger hassle.

Cost and headphone jack mostly. Though the cost will probably be balanced out by need for rebuying apps as well as taking time to try and find them. The Edge is really good looking as well and the Xperias camera looks really good.

I could go for the iPhone 7 to keep the cost down how big is the difference between the cameras? And since I will probably use the phone for 2-3 years the extra ram in the plus will probably make it last longer.

Those in the IUP program that kinda got screwed over by the limited stock issue at 3 AM on Friday should give Apple a call (1800MYAPPLE). The upgrade program page now asks you to call Apple and mention the iPhone Upgrade Program to the customer service rep if you can't locate your model preference, and they will take your info and forward you to a department handling these requests. They took my model preference down and told me they are going to try to find my model internally and let me know within 48 hours whether they will be able to get it to me ASAP or not. They took my store preference also so I assume if they find one, they will ship it over to the store. Looks like Apple knows they screwed up handling the IUP upgrades..which is nice. Hopefully they will actually be able to find something.

Maz

I never thought if this before but what's the point of a big camera that's able to record 4k/30 when the phones screen isn't even 1080? Is there something I'm missing? That camera hump on the back is real ugly, just curious if people would prefer it's gone/reduced if the quality of the camera goes down.

How many of you actually transfer/view your photos outside the phone to take advantage of high resolution photos?

robotrock

Banned
I never thought if this before but what's the point of a big camera that's able to record 4k/30 when the phones screen isn't even 1080? Is there something I'm missing? That camera hump on the back is real ugly, just curious if people would prefer it's gone/reduced if the quality of the camera goes down.

How many of you actually transfer/view your photos outside the phone to take advantage of high resolution photos?

I absolutely both transfer and view all of my photos on my computer.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

I do it all the time, also for 4K video. You should checkout shot on iPhone series on 4K display to see why the functionality is worth it.

You downgrade the sensor on these phones to get rid of a small bump you piss a ton of people off & lose customers and end up with worse photos, video, low light performance, & other things like Ois being removed just to create a flush camera on the profile of these phones.

How about Apple just increase the thickness abit of the whole phone to match camera bump you end up with more room for larger battery etc oh that's right people also have a huge hard on for thinness.

Fliesen

By that logic, we shouldn't bother havigng a camera that records better videos than 720p or 2 megapixels. ;)
(What's the display resolution of those GoPro hero 4 cameras, which record 4k video? ;) )

Of course, many of us sync our recorded videos over to our ipads, or laptops for composing stuff in iMovie, premiere, photoshop etc.

X-Frame

What would generally be quicker for me to get an iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB -- if I pre-ordered now online for shipping 2-3 weeks, or if I waited a couple weeks and checked store inventory every day to see if one is available I can just pick up?

I just hate having iPhones delivered because someone always needs to be around to sign for the package. I guess I can waive the signature?

Those in the IUP program that kinda got screwed over by the limited stock issue at 3 AM on Friday should give Apple a call (1800MYAPPLE). The upgrade program page now asks you to call Apple and mention the iPhone Upgrade Program to the customer service rep if you can't locate your model preference, and they will take your info and forward you to a department handling these requests. They took my model preference down and told me they are going to try to find my model internally and let me know within 48 hours whether they will be able to get it to me ASAP or not. They took my store preference also so I assume if they find one, they will ship it over to the store. Looks like Apple knows they screwed up handling the IUP upgrades..which is nice. Hopefully they will actually be able to find something.

So I called and they do have a special Apple group taking care of this because there was a stocking issue. However they are unable to help me because I have one more payment left and I have to be considered eligible before they can reserve anything for me? Seems wrong but I'll talk to another person and see what they say

went to the at&t store last night, was told of the trade in promo, that i'd need to do the trade and the sale for the 7 in the same transaction and their opening hours for friday. i'm in kind of an odd situation that i might need to leave town for work sooner than later, so i'm gonna just back up my phone thursday, line up thursday night/friday morning, lookin to get a 128 GB rose gold.

in the meantime, i'm just gonna get a case off of amazon so i can go straight from box to case and a bluetooth audio reciever for my car's stereo.

So I called and they do have a special Apple group taking care of this because there was a stocking issue. However they are unable to help me because I have one more payment left and I have to be considered eligible before they can reserve anything for me? Seems wrong but I'll talk to another person and see what they say

Yeah, you have to make 12 payments before you can upgrade. Are you sure your 12th payment has been made? If not, you can make an early payment to get to that 12th payment marker. I'm not sure how, though, maybe you have to do it at an Apple Store?

Yeah, you have to make 12 payments before you can upgrade. Are you sure your 12th payment has been made? If not, you can make an early payment to get to that 12th payment marker. I'm not sure how, though, maybe you have to do it at an Apple Store?

My 12th payment is on the 13th, so right before launch. I know I can't make an early payment through the CitizensOne website, I scoured it

I know 12 payments have to have been made, but if I reserved online like normal (as in there wasn't that issue that necesssitated this special group) I would have been able to reserve and just picked up in store since by the time the 16th rolls around I'm all good

Edit: called in again, got transferred to the special group, got my order in. Guy said they were put together to give iUP customers priority so they don't have to pay for an extra month while waiting for the preferred model. They took down my two most preferred models and two closest stores

If any of you iUP people weren't able to reserve your model in store definitely give them a call, super helpful

Maz

By that logic, we shouldn't bother havigng a camera that records better videos than 720p or 2 megapixels. ;)
(What's the display resolution of those GoPro hero 4 cameras, which record 4k video? ;) )

Of course, many of us sync our recorded videos over to our ipads, or laptops for composing stuff in iMovie, premiere, photoshop etc.

GoPro are pure camera's, the tiny screen isn't for viewing as much as its for framing the shots. The majority of people using dedicated cameras view/edit the photo/video on other higher resolution screens.

I would love someway to actually know the % of people that view their photo/video using 4k screens, maybe the number of people that do warrant a bulky camera on a phone.

From personal (I know, ancedotal) experience, the people I know just upload them to instagram/facebook/whatsapp where other people with similar phone resolutions view them.

At the end of the day I think the actual number of people taking advantage of powerful cameras are irrelevant. If a better camera gets people to buy a phone, why should apple or any phone company care.

Danny 117

So for this iPhone Upgrade Program (Apple)...if I already have a 6S from another provider, do I have to trade it into Apple to enter the program or can I sell it elsewhere?

sangreal

So for this iPhone Upgrade Program (Apple)...if I already have a 6S from another provider, do I have to trade it into Apple to enter the program or can I sell it elsewhere?

you don't have to trade it in to sign up. you only have to trade in to upgrade before 24 payments once in the program

icespide

Banned
My 12th payment is on the 13th, so right before launch. I know I can't make an early payment through the CitizensOne website, I scoured it

I know 12 payments have to have been made, but if I reserved online like normal (as in there wasn't that issue that necesssitated this special group) I would have been able to reserve and just picked up in store since by the time the 16th rolls around I'm all good

Edit: called in again, got transferred to the special group, got my order in. Guy said they were put together to give iUP customers priority so they don't have to pay for an extra month while waiting for the preferred model. They took down my two most preferred models and two closest stores

If any of you iUP people weren't able to reserve your model in store definitely give them a call, super helpful
that's good that they're trying to prioritize IUP people

Danny 117

you don't have to trade it in to sign up. you only have to trade in to upgrade before 24 payments once in the program

Ahh excellent. Apple are offering a lot less than I would expect for the 6S. Will probably sell it to Mazuma :D

Just need to wait for the black 7 to come back in stock!

Fliesen

GoPro are pure camera's, the tiny screen isn't for viewing as much as its for framing the shots. The majority of people using dedicated cameras view/edit the photo/video on other higher resolution screens.

I would love someway to actually know the % of people that view their photo/video using 4k screens, maybe the number of people that do warrant a bulky camera on a phone.

From personal (I know, ancedotal) experience, the people I know just upload them to instagram/facebook/whatsapp where other people with similar phone resolutions view them.

At the end of the day I think the actual number of people taking advantage of powerful cameras are irrelevant. If a better camera gets people to buy a phone, why should apple or any phone company care.
that is most likely the majority, too.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be cramming as good of a camera into the phone for those who do want to edit their movies later on, even if the phone's display is below the camera's recording resolution.
A 4k display puts a much bigger strain on the battery, a 4k camera, doesn't really. (unless you're continuously recording, ofc.)

Nice, yeah worked out for me too. Hopefully they will actually be able to find it. Just a question, did they actually reserve or did they tell you they will call back in 48 hours with a status update on finding your preferred model?

They took my preferences down and told me they will look internally and let me know on Tuesday.

Nice, yeah worked out for me too. Hopefully they will actually be able to find it. Just a question, did they actually reserve or did they tell you they will call back in 48 hours with a status update on finding your preferred model?

They took my preferences down and told me they will look internally and let me know on Tuesday.

They told me the same thing. Got an email from them already

What's the best mail app you guys use?

The stock app takes way too long to refresh, and I want to delete my gmail emails, not archive them.

SeanR1221

I'll have to do this because there was almost literally nothing available the second I got in at 3am. Which is bullshit.

edgefusion

Anyone else ordering via O2 UK and still set to 'we're preparing your order...'? Mine has been that way since Friday morning, I'm kind of surprised they don't seem to have weekend staff working on the backlog.

What's the best mail app you guys use?

The stock app takes way too long to refresh, and I want to delete my gmail emails, not archive them.

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap your Gmail account. Tap Account -> Advanced to bring up more options. Tap 'Deleted Mailbox' under the heading, Move discarded messages into; you'll see that the default option is 'Archive Mailbox'. Tap Account and then Done to confirm the changes.

As far as speed not much to do there.

I personally use AirMail on iOS. There's also a Mac version too.

kaskade

I can't wait for the reviews Tuesday. Kind of a bummer we don't get to see the depth of field feature for the 7 plus for a bit though.

CraigMcD

Anyone else ordering via O2 UK and still set to 'we're preparing your order...'? Mine has been that way since Friday morning, I'm kind of surprised they don't seem to have weekend staff working on the backlog.
Same here. Should have updated by now according to their Live Chat. Either way, I'm not expecting my iPhone at launch.

Vyer

You can't judge anything by Facebook, I don't think the high quality uploads are even enabled by default on that thing,

Either way, I want the best quality available for something I'm likely to keep for a long, long time. Photos can end up in a number of different mediums, there's no reason to limit that quality.

dc89

We had a bit of a quiet day in store today, so I figured I'd do a little research on how the carriers will be handling the iPhone 7/7+ in terms of installing their carrier apps. It looks like I'm due a huge slice of humble pie as, from now, the providers I spoke to (EE, O2, Vodafone) will not be installing their bloatware on the phones. What you'll get is a shiny device with the bloatware apps that Apple install pre-sale.

They never have. Ever.

Draper

KIV8xsw.png

I ordered both blacks with the intent to return the one I like less and I'm leaning towards the matte version, but boy oh boy does the Jet look sexy here.

I ordered both blacks with the intent to return the one I like less and I'm leaning towards the matte version, but boy oh boy does the Jet look sexy here.

What it's not showing is the scratches left by the watch on the back.

If I find a jet black phone on Friday I'm getting it lol

jcutner

Anyone know if Apple will put the accessories on shelves before Friday?

i.e. can I go in on Thursday and pickup an iPhone 7 case to be ready for the phone getting delivered on the Friday? (I waited too long to order an Apple leather case in the colour I wanted and it says it won't ship for 1-2 weeks, so I'm hoping they have enough in stores to accommodate)

SFenton

I have a Moto X Pure 2015 edition which is beginning to show its age and hasn't been updated in an eternity. Prior to that I was on Windows Phone, and I don't really have an intention to go back but I'm not opposed to it. I have an upgrade this year and while I was initially appalled by no headphone jack... I think I could live with the adapter, at least for one phone cycle. I'm also not too invested in any particular app store, I use Groove as my music service (disclaimer: I work on it) so I'm not really tied to any OS in particular.

What's the iOS advantage compared to Android, beyond a uniform OS experience across all devices? Does having a sandboxed OS help performance? Do any apps get preferential treatment on iOS?

Most used apps are Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Groove, and browser, if that matters. I'd be springing for a 7+ if I came over.

(Browser really matters, especially since some sites like NeoGAF on mobile sometimes act not super responsively due to ads.)

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom