• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

What's the best mail app you guys use?

The stock app takes way too long to refresh, and I want to delete my gmail emails, not archive them.

The Gmail app is great at immediately pushing out notifications for any mail you receive. The only part of the app I don't like is the ad mail that shows at the top of the inbox - I'd pay a $5 IAP to turn that off.

Have been on hold with apple for 30 minutes.

Edit: trying to talk to them about the lack of stock for us iUP peeps.

Resolution: they will call me in 48 hours to see what can be done. The rep apologized and acknowledged it was not a smooth preorder process.

DOWN

Banned

The 7 Plus's DoF camera effect will arrive in a to-be-announced post-launch update.
Its coming next month
It's a 58mm f1.8 lens. You can take good DOF shots without any post-processing
The update enhances the distance from which you can get the effect on portraits. The natural depth of field is often only possible at undesirable closeness with the small cameras. Software and two cameras helps them fix it

-griffy-

Banned
It's a 58mm f1.8 lens. You can take good DOF shots without any post-processing

You can take decent DOF shots, but the small sensor size is still quite a limiting factor in how blurred the background can get.

As point of reference, here's an image with the micro 4/3-sized Panasonic GH4 on top, and the full frame Canon 5D Mark III on the bottom:
14199922203_f48b705f60_b.jpg

The iPhone 7 sensor is quite a bit smaller than a micro 4/3 sensor still, so without this new fancy fake DOF effect it still can't compare.

You can take decent DOF shots, but the small sensor size is still quite a limiting factor in how blurred the background can get.

As point of reference, here's an image with the micro 4/3-sized Panasonic GH4 on top, and the full frame Canon 5D Mark III on the bottom:

The iPhone 7 sensor is quite a bit smaller than a micro 4/3 sensor still, so without this new fancy fake DOF effect it still can't compare.

The top one looks better, should it not be the opposite?

-griffy-

Banned
The top one looks better, should it not be the opposite?

We're comparing depth of field. The out of focus area of the top photo shows the lights in the background blurring out to a much smaller degree than the bottom photo, where the lights create much larger circles/bokeh.

Vyer

I have a Moto X Pure 2015 edition which is beginning to show its age and hasn't been updated in an eternity. Prior to that I was on Windows Phone, and I don't really have an intention to go back but I'm not opposed to it. I have an upgrade this year and while I was initially appalled by no headphone jack... I think I could live with the adapter, at least for one phone cycle. I'm also not too invested in any particular app store, I use Groove as my music service (disclaimer: I work on it) so I'm not really tied to any OS in particular.

What's the iOS advantage compared to Android, beyond a uniform OS experience across all devices? Does having a sandboxed OS help performance? Do any apps get preferential treatment on iOS?

Most used apps are Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Groove, and browser, if that matters. I'd be springing for a 7+ if I came over.

(Browser really matters, especially since some sites like NeoGAF on mobile sometimes act not super responsively due to ads.)

Thanks guys!

In general yes to both, and personally I think MS does a great job with their iOS apps, tho I don't know much about Groove sorry.

Will cases and screen protectors for the iPhone 6/6S work with the 7? I know the bottom jack spot would be empty, but are they the same size phone?

Besides abload.de, are there any other good image hosting sites which don't reduce image quality? I'm hoping to take some pictures on the 7+ on Friday and share them without a site like imgur compressing the shots.

Retroid

Will cases and screen protectors for the iPhone 6/6S work with the 7? I know the bottom jack spot would be empty, but are they the same size phone?

I think the biggest issues with cases would be the camera position/size. As for screen protectors, I think the top speaker is wider but don't quote me on that.

Its coming next month

The update enhances the distance from which you can get the effect on portraits. The natural depth of field is often only possible at undesirable closeness with the small cameras. Software and two cameras helps them fix it

Thanks.

emag

I have a Moto X Pure 2015 edition which is beginning to show its age and hasn't been updated in an eternity. Prior to that I was on Windows Phone, and I don't really have an intention to go back but I'm not opposed to it.

If you're concerned with web browsing performance, iOS/iPhone is literally years ahead of Android/WP -- rendering/JS performance on the SE/6S is over twice as fast as on the Moto X Pure (2015), and that's before taking into account iOS's native ad blocking. The 7 is significantly faster still.

emag

What's the best mail app you guys use?

The stock app takes way too long to refresh, and I want to delete my gmail emails, not archive them.

Outlook is my top pick. I have to use the GMail on my Android devices, and that's a mess by comparison (can't modify swipe actions, poor integration with non-Google services, lackluster notification actions). Outlook does the basics right and also has great additional features (all recent attachments in a tab, Google Drive/OneDrive/Dropbox access/integration, great calendar functionality).

SFenton

If you're concerned with web browsing performance, iOS/iPhone is literally years ahead of Android/WP -- rendering/JS performance on the SE/6S is over twice as fast as on the Moto X Pure (2015), and that's before taking into account iOS's native ad blocking. The 7 is significantly faster still.

iOS has native ad blocking?

That's really ballsy and cool, actually.

Fliesen

native = there's a "content blocking" API for safari. There's plenty of great third party ad blockers that make use of said API.
So ad-blocking isn't part of the core OS, in case you were thinking that.

emag

You have to download a block list from the app store and enable it in settings, but yeah, it's built into Safari (and all apps that use the Safari view controller to display content).

Shipping date for black 128 gb Plus is now 12 Sept from Telia in Sweden. Was 14 of October this Friday. Error or is it possible they will ship it in time?

I still use Purify. Been fine so far. I've tried a few others, but some leave weird glitches on websites. Purify has had the best results for me so far.

I used Purify but started getting redirect ads after a few months. Switched to AdBlock a few months ago and they've stopped.

Rootbeer

Banned
1Blocker is what I use. Purify was good when iOS 9 came out but it feels like it has been forgotten.
Yeah that's why I have been experimenting with some other blockers. The app hasn't been updated in a while, however it still updates the block lists in the background.

i use uBlock Origin on desktop and love it, and when you go to their website they recommend Purify for iOS, for what it's worth. They appear to be affiliated.
I used Purify but started getting redirect ads after a few months. Switched to AdBlock a few months ago and they've stopped.
Haven't encountered any... it's definitely something I would complain about if I had.

People should experiment with several to see what fits for them. 1Block, Refine and Wipr are some other popular ones.

Yeah that's why I have been experimenting with some other blockers. The app hasn't been updated in a while, however it still updates the block lists in the background.

i use uBlock Origin on desktop and love it, and when you go to their website they recommend Purify for iOS, for what it's worth. They appear to be affiliated.

Haven't encountered any... it's definitely something I would complain about if I had.

People should experiment with several to see what fits for them. 1Block, Refine and Wipr are some other popular ones.

Wipr is definitely my favorite for OS X Safari.

I use 1Blocker as my ad blocker.

Funny thing is when I encounter a website that detects it, will sometimes say I need to disable it to improve the web browsing experience. Lol, it makes it so much faster. Hate those full screen ads that pop up, that's not a good browsing experience!

Rootbeer

Banned
Another good content blocker to try is Focus, it's made by Mozilla for iOS. Really good reviews on the App store. I'm gonna try that now and see if I can replace Purify

was considering the AirPods, but I might get this instead:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLYF2LL/A/beatsx-earphones-white

(in black)

Do the same auto switching thing, but don't look as goofy as the Airpods.

And you can rest the cable on your neck which is cool. Same design as the Jaybird X2 and other Bluetooth earbuds. Hopefully they sound as good, as I'll pick one up too. W1 chip would be a game changer. I think these are based off the urBeats from last year. Which I think we're reviewed well.

There's ad blocking enabled for Samsung phones.

Is this just for their Samsung browser or does it also work for the Chrome browser?

Top Bottom