• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I'm starting to think that the iUP might not be that much of a deal if you can sell your phone every year for about half the price.

I've been on the pay full price and then sell the next year train for a little bit. The iUP seems to be about the same money wise. You gain the benefit of spending the $450 for the first year of ownership spread across 12 payments. If you aren't locked into a carrier contract you have freedom to move to another carrier anytime you want just like a phone you bought out of pocket. It does make it more difficult to change phones 3-4 months in if you don't like the iPhone 7 for some reason.

From my own experience I bought a 6s+ for $930 with tax or whatever the exact number was and sold my 6+ on Swappa for like $500 after the PayPal fees and shipping. So having the 6s+ for this year cost me $430 without AppleCare. To get a 7+ on the iUP is going to cost ~$480 with AppleCare. I would spend that extra $50 on a case if I didn't have AppleCare and was trying to keep the phone in good enough shape to sell the next year.

That's why I haven't jumped on yet.

It's not for everyone, but I love my cheap $30 T-Mobile plan (unlimited data, unlimited texts, but only 100mins of talk). I just buy every year, sell my old phone, and I end up getting a real bargain over the course of that 12 months in terms of my total out of pocket for both phone + service.
Yea, now I've got till Friday to figure out if I wannna do the iUP or just full retail and sell.

Izuna

Banned
I will look into this IF

Surface Phone doesn't get teased with Google PlayStore on it
iPhone 7 Pro Camera > Lumia 950 XL
Apple VR is a thing

otherwise I think I'll wait to see what's happening Q3 2017

Any comparison photos yet?

kaskade

I've been on the pay full price and then sell the next year train for a little bit. The iUP seems to be about the same money wise. You gain the benefit of spending the $450 for the first year of ownership spread across 12 payments. If you aren't locked into a carrier contract you have freedom to move to another carrier anytime you want just like a phone you bought out of pocket. It does make it more difficult to change phones 3-4 months in if you don't like the iPhone 7 for some reason.

From my own experience I bought a 6s+ for $930 with tax or whatever the exact number was and sold my 6+ on Swappa for like $500 after the PayPal fees and shipping. So having the 6s+ for this year cost me $430 without AppleCare. To get a 7+ on the iUP is going to cost ~$480 with AppleCare. I would spend that extra $50 on a case if I didn't have AppleCare and was trying to keep the phone in good enough shape to sell the next year.

I figured I'm pretty much going to upgrade every year anyway so I might as well do the program. Having Apple care is nice too in case something does happen. Plus I don't have to think about selling it and making sure the timing is right between sales and the new phone. And like you said, when you know you're going to sell the phone you have to try and keep it in as best condition as possible which is a constant (minor) anxiety. Apple seems pretty lenient about what they expect back.

Condition of Financed iPhone when Exercising your Upgrade Option. As noted above, your Financed iPhone must be in good physical and operational condition when exercising your Upgrade Option as determined solely by Apple or Apple’s trade-in service provider (“Trade-In Service Provider”). For a Financed iPhone to be considered in good physical and operational condition, the Financed iPhone must:
Power on and hold a charge;
Have an intact and functioning display;
Have no breaks or cracks; and
Have Activation Lock disabled (you may be asked to disable at the time of upgrade).

Seems like minor bumps and bruises are ok.

When you take your phone to trade in to Apple for the iUP after the first year how much do you get off of the new phone? Is it the normal Apple trade in price.

Oh, so it's counted as paying off the first one so you can start brand new for the next one.

Yes. That's the deal. Considering I picked up $476 from Gazelle for my iPhone 6+ 128GB last year and the balance of this phone will be $489.50 it's pretty much a wash on how much credit you get from a phone. For the no hassle aspect of it I love the service.

Deku Tree

Yes. That's the deal. Considering I picked up $476 from Gazelle for my iPhone 6+ 128GB last year and the balance of this phone will be $489.50 it's pretty much a wash on how much credit you get from a phone. For the no hassle aspect of it I love the service.

That 489 number includes one year of AppleCare+ And it assumes that you can get your desired model iPhone in the first month. If you end up paying 13 or 14 months because you want JetBlack or you didn't order in the first hour then the deal is worse.

Voidance

Did you get it using this trick?

*edit* nevermind I got my tracking to show up... had to login to ups website for it so show
I have the tracking number and a UPS My Choice account. Ideally, I would try to work from home that day to ensure I get it, but, as a general rule, my boss isn't too keen on it. I am not sure if I can pre-sign for it through My UPS.

neshcom

Banned
Damn, I had some serious trouble getting a phone ordered on release night, but T-Mo says my 128 matte black 7 should be here on launch day o_O

Rootbeer

Banned
I have the tracking number and a UPS My Choice account. Ideally, I would try to work from home that day to ensure I get it, but, as a general rule, my boss isn't too keen on it. I am not sure if I can pre-sign for it through My UPS.

I'm incredibly fortunate to be off work that day just by nature of my ordinary schedule.

The trick is getting UPS to bring it to my door and not leave it in the lobby where it is more prone to theft (happened to me once on a 3ds game, long story...), anyway I have tons of alerts setup through UPS directly as well as some various apps that monitor the shipping... I'll just have to rush down there and snag it ASAP, heh.

Draper

I'm still wary about the fact that I got the plus model.

I recall with my 6+ how annoying it was to hold it and browse Gaf while laying on my side in bed.

DOWN

Banned
Can someone help me find that pic of the back of the Jet Black model at the press with all the microscratches? I think it was earlier in the thread

Not the big scratches, but the ones along the bottom by the speakers

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm still wary about the fact that I got the plus model.

I recall with my 6+ how annoying it was to hold it and browse Gaf while laying on my side in bed.

You'll just have to get creative.

51vrWLSvFKL.jpg

Both sizes have their ups and downs, gotta go with the size that has the most benefits for you and compensate for the rest.

That 489 number includes one year of AppleCare+ And it assumes that you can get your desired model iPhone in the first month. If you end up paying 13 or 14 months because you want JetBlack or you didn't order in the first hour then the deal is worse.

If this happened to you, did you call 1-800-MY-APPLE and try sorting it out? They have a group now for iUP customers who didn't get the model they wanted because of stock issues

SeanR1221

If this happened to you, did you call 1-800-MY-APPLE and try sorting it out? They have a group now for iUP customers who didn't get the model they wanted because of stock issues

I just did this and the customer service was fantastic (well the first woman I talked to was rude and clueless before she transferred me to the iUP department).

So the iUP guy said he'd follow up within 48 hours but pretty much guaranteed hed get a phone to my local store Friday. He said they want to put iUP customers first and are wel aware of the stock issues lastr Friday. We'll see what happens.

I just did this and the customer service was fantastic (well the first woman I talked to was rude and clueless before she transferred me to the iUP department).

So the iUP guy said he'd follow up within 48 hours but pretty much guaranteed hed get a phone to my local store Friday. He said they want to put iUP customers first and are wel aware of the stock issues lastr Friday. We'll see what happens.

Same, guy who worked with me said to expect an email by Tuesday with the results

When I first called in the guy wouldn't transfer me because I hadn't made all 12 of my payments (my last one goes through on the 13th, still before the launch). Hung up and called back and the second woman got me through

Did he ask for your second option/store too?

The first lady thought I wanted to pick the phone up in store before Friday. We literally talked in circles for a good five minutes.

First/second option for phone model and store. I told him I only want a 256Gb Black Plus, no second option

DOWN

Banned
For me, so long as next year they do what they did this year where they basically prioritize iUP now that they know they messed up, I like the program idea. Basically I don't worry about selling the phone and I get the new one every year. That sounds great on paper if it works out and it seems like it's probably going to be made right in the long run.

I'm sure everyone's tired of all the trade-in questions, but if you trade in your iPhone to T-Mobile for the 7+, is the $120 due at the time of purchase, or is it just due on your bill over the 24 months?

Vyer

Oh cool.

Just reading the comments on T-Mo News, and the deal doesn't seem like all it's cracked up to be.

If you aren't worried about upgrading and have no problem keeping the same phone for 2 years it's not a bad plan. Especially if you're going with the standard 7. But yeah otherwise you probably want to go in a different direction.

Can't wait to get my phone, it isn't expected until the second half of October though. Really hope they get more out and I get it sooner than expected. I got matte black, I ordered my wife one and she said she didn't care what color she got as long as the face was white since she's putting it in a case anyway. Hers is supposed to be here by the end of the month, so at least I'll be able to mess around with a 7 sort of soon.

I got the Plus model. It's going to feel huge coming from a 5S, but looking at them in the store I really don't think the size difference between the regular and Plus models is all that huge. I went back and forth a bit and do think the regular 7 seems a bit easier to use with one hand, but the better cameras seem cool, and I have a Watch to control music and receive texts and whatnot so being a little less easy to use on the go doesn't bother me much.

Can't wait to get my phone, it isn't expected until the second half of October though. Really hope they get more out and I get it sooner than expected. I got matte black, I ordered my wife one and she said she didn't care what color she got as long as the face was white since she's putting it in a case anyway. Hers is supposed to be here by the end of the month, so at least I'll be able to mess around with a 7 sort of soon.

I got the Plus model. It's going to feel huge coming from a 5S, but looking at them in the store I really don't think the size difference between the regular and Plus models is all that huge. I went back and forth a bit and do think the regular 7 seems a bit easier to use with one hand, but the better cameras seem cool, and I have a Watch to control music and receive texts and whatnot so being a little less easy to use on the go doesn't bother me much.

I went from a 5 to a 6+ and the difference is staggering. It's hard to go back to a smaller phone, tbh.

jts

...hate me...
^ Well, if you want to go with a case there would be no point in going Jet Black either anyway since you can't see it (unless you get a transparent case).

Just get what you like and YOLO. Actually you can polish aliminium. I've seen a dude who polished the bejeebus out of his MacBook Pro until it went all shiny LOL.

LordOfChaos

Any word on if that second speaker grille on the bottom is actually a speaker or just a cutout? The phone grille up top is now a speaker too, which is cool, but if they're using two on the bottom to output to one depending on orientation that would be a step above. I only block the bottom grille 100000% of the time on my 6S.

What generation is the touch id on this phone? 2nd? Same with 6s/+?

I wonder that too, if the enhancements they mentioned were software or hardware.

ido

I went from a 5 to a 6+ and the difference is staggering. It's hard to go back to a smaller phone, tbh.

I'm just the opposite. I went from a 6S+ back to an SE, and have regretted nothing. The 7 looks pretty nice, though, but I'm holding out to see if there will be another SE iteration soon.

derder

Called in and got my date moved up a week and got expedited shipping?

She said that they will be doing a new round of online orders for instore pickup on Friday at midnight.

Top Bottom