• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

DOWN

Banned
For a phone Apple apparently doesn't want you to buy, they sure are doing one hell of a job making me want to buy it.

I take the Jet Black warning as legal-ese after scuff gate. Lining up to try to grab jet black, in a clear case day 1 until next year.
Buddy, if Apple has a disclaimer for that color and that color only, that guarantees the problem occurs. That's them saying it will have scuffs in its own way because of how it is finished. And the press confirmed the black model looked the worst on inspection after a couple hours into the press event.
Their talk of the anodizing for the jet black immediately made me think of the anodized chamfer on the 5, which was very prone to scratches. I imagined the entire back winding up like the edges on so many 5's, so I opted for the regular black.
All of the iPhones are anodized. Jet black is no weaker of an anodization process, but because it it polished with a perfect coating, even the tiniest abrasions show. Happens to any glossy surface electronics.

jts

...hate me...
Their talk of the anodizing for the jet black immediately made me think of the anodized chamfer on the 5, which was very prone to scratches. I imagined the entire back winding up like the edges on so many 5's, so I opted for the regular black.

All of the iPhones are anodized. Jet black is no weaker of an anodization process, but because it it polished with a perfect coating, even the tiniest abrasions show. Happens to any glossy surface electronics.
The chamfered edges on the iPhone 5 were actually painted on though. Paint chipping will not happen on an anodized aluminum surface like 7.

DOWN

Banned
The chamfered edges on the iPhone 5 were actually painted on though. Paint chipping will not happen on an anodized aluminum surface like 7.
Nope, iPhone 5 was anodized aluminum. Though speculated to have a primitive process or few layers compared to modern efforts.

jts

...hate me...
Nope, iPhone 5 was anodized aluminum. Though speculated to have a primitive process or few layers compared to modern efforts.
iPhone 5 had an anodized aluminium body, yes, but the edges of its body were chamfered after the anodizing process, exposing the raw material, and, in the case of the slate black one, they were painted on after that. And that's why they chipped.

jyiMLii.jpg

Also Apple had had already some experience with anodizing (iPods and whatnot) but yes it is also said the iPhone 5 had a particularly thin layer of oxide.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/3

Fliesen

well, seeing how they discontinued "black/slate" on the iPhone 5 with "space grey", and now they're bringing it back might be an indication that they figured out a way to make the color more durable.

I ordered the 7 Plus from AT&T's website within the first 5 minutes it was for sale and the estimated delivery date says September 29th-Oct 6th. Is that normal?

DOWN

Banned
My boyfriend's 128GB Jet Black 7 Plus got moved from Sep 24 to Oct by T Mobile. What can he do to maybe get one at launch or at least sooner than October?

Guess Who

Banned
well, seeing how they discontinued "black/slate" on the iPhone 5 with "space grey", and now they're bringing it back might be an indication that they figured out a way to make the color more durable.

The slate on the iPhone 5 looked a little different than the black here on the 7 - it wasn't as pure a black, and had a very slight blue tint.

dc89

My boyfriend's 128GB Jet Black 7 Plus got moved from Sep 24 to Oct by T Mobile. What can he do to maybe get one at launch or at least sooner than October?

Considering Jet Black is the gold dust colour probably not a great deal he can do.

jts

...hate me...
Can't wait for the AirPods reviews to come in. I have hopes that besides keeping the form factor, they have upgraded the drivers in them, to reflect premium position and pricing. Apple have had premium headphones that weren't too shabby.

If they sound better than EarPods, they go straight to my holiday wishlist.

chunk3rvd

I'm in the UK and I want to get a 7+ using the monthly payment scheme. I ideally don't want to make my first payment until at least 20th October (payday after next) but I'd like the phone in my hands for my honeymoon in Thailand on 31st October. What's the best way to go about this?

Do they take the first monthly payment (not the £49.99 deposit) instantly or a month later? If so, I'm guessing I can order anytime after 20th September and they won't take the money till 20th October anyway?

Fliesen

Can't wait for the AirPods reviews to come in. I have hopes that besides keeping the form factor, they have upgraded the drivers in them, to reflect premium position and pricing. Apple have had premium headphones that weren't too shabby.

If they sound better than EarPods, they go straight to my holiday wishlist.

i'm in the same boat, but for the beatsX.
While the AirPods look super neat, i don't quite trust them to fit snuggly enough for running. Especially in the winter, when i'll be wearing a headband / hat.

jts

...hate me...
While the AirPods look super neat, i don't quite trust them to fit snuggly enough for running. Especially in the winter, when i'll be wearing a headband / hat.
If the sound in the AirPods is meh I'll probably be looking into
those as well. I do think the AirPods are super cool with the independent buds but the Beats have slightly better battery life and even faster top-up charging (5 minutes gets 2 hours) but no battery case unfortunately.

Fliesen

on a side note - my wired (3.5mm) earbuds died today ...

ever since my iPhone 6 i've gone through 3(!) pairs of EarPods (the ones that came with the phone, a spare / unpoened pair i had from before, and an unused pair that came with the iPod touch we bought for testing an inhouse developed mobile app / webpage.

the fact that, in a case like that, i'd likely only have to replace the dumb little €9 dongle instead of the entire pair of headphones ...

Sucks, though, since those were my last pair of earphones - let's hope pairing the "W1 chip" phones to my macbook (and back to the phone) is going to be as easy as they demonstrated with the AirPods

my carrier sent around an email last night saying orders were delayed, but to ignore the email if it's a pre-order but also changed my tracking to order out of date. amazing, utterly amazing customer service.

Enzom21

I ordered the 7 Plus from AT&T's website within the first 5 minutes it was for sale and the estimated delivery date says September 29th-Oct 6th. Is that normal?

Same boat. Jet black? That seems to be the normal shipping estimate for everyone who ordered the jet black +.

Rootbeer

Banned

I also have my eyes on those. I was never interested in Beats before. But now that I'm in the market for a bluetooth set, I really like the features on these. 2 hours on a 5 min charge? Dang! Nice.

I've been comparing the beatsx to some other 2016 models, like the powerbeats3. Is sweat proof really that big of a deal? I feel like I'd have to be working out under extreme conditions to make enough sweat to damage earbuds.

Fliesen

I also have my eyes on those. I was never interested in Beats before. But now that I'm in the market for a bluetooth set, I really like the features on these. 2 hours on a 5 min charge? Dang! Nice.

I've been comparing the beatsx to some other 2016 models, like the powerbeats3. Is sweat proof really that big of a deal? I feel like I'd have to be working out under extreme conditions to make enough sweat to damage earbuds.

i've gone running with so many earphones that weren't explicitly sweat proof, so i don't really worry about that.

The powerbeats, design wise, are too much of a 'statement' to be my daily drivers.
Before last week's keynote, i was eyeing the Jaybird X2, which are also $150 wireless headphones, so the price isn't really of any concern.
The beatsX kinda combine a design that is functional for sports, but also low-key enough for everyday wear.
("one earbud in" is pretty much how i mostly use my earphones - when riding my bike, but also while working in the office, or playing on my PS4, listening to podcasts. I like to still be aware of my surroundings)
- also, the fact that they magnetically attach to one another is a neat addition.
overall, it looks like them moving the batteries and wireless components to the 'necklace' part will make the actual earbuds pretty light.

Rasec46

Neo Member
i've gone running with so many earphones that weren't explicitly sweat proof, so i don't really worry about that.

The powerbeats, design wise, are too much of a 'statement' to be my daily drivers.
Before last week's keynote, i was eyeing the Jaybird X2, which are also $150 wireless headphones, so the price isn't really of any concern.
The beatsX kinda combine a design that is functional for sports, but also low-key enough for everyday wear.

("one earbud in" is pretty much how i mostly use my earphones - when riding my bike, but also while working in the office, or playing on my PS4, listening to podcasts. I like to still be aware of my surroundings)
- also, the fact that they magnetically attach to one another is a neat addition.

overall, it looks like them moving the batteries and wireless components to the 'necklace' part will make the actual earbuds pretty light.

I have the jaybirds and while they work great the fact that the battery is on the earphone itself makes them a little big and kinda weird having them come out of the ear like that.
moving the battery to the necklace sounds cool idea.

I'm just afraid that thin cable on after the battery might be fragile.
Also the jaybird is really missing the magnets to make them feel secure when resting.
Sometimes simply walking, they can start to fall. the magnet solves that.

Only thing i see missing is that little piece that secures the earphone to the ear. Really comes in handy on the jaybird.

Fliesen

I have the jaybirds and while they work great the fact that the battery is on the earphone itself makes them a little big and kinda weird having them come out of the ear like that.
moving the battery to the necklace sounds cool idea.

I'm just afraid that thin cable on after the battery might be fragile.
Also the jaybird is really missing the magnets to make them feel secure when resting.
Sometimes simply walking, they can start to fall. the magnet solves that.

Only thing i see missing is that little piece that secures the earphone to the ear. Really comes in handy on the jaybird.

you mean those rubber wings? Supposedly, the beatsX come with those, too.

about the cable that goes from the battery(?) part to the ear itself - there's certainly going to be less motion between the 'necklace' and your head than there is between your pants' pockets and your head. So i'm not too worried about that.
Also, it's one of those "flat" cables - those don't really twist all that much, but rather do a bend, which should help longevity.

Rasec46

Neo Member
you mean those rubber wings? Supposedly, the beatsX come with those, too.

about the cable that goes from the battery(?) part to the ear itself - there's certainly going to be less motion between the 'necklace' and your head than there is between your pants' pockets and your head. So i'm not too worried about that.
Also, it's one of those "flat" cables - those don't really twist all that much, but rather do a bend, which should help longevity.

So i guess it's called wing tips from the descriptions.

In that pic i can see the cable more clearly. Yup, that makes sense. I always destroy my earphones because of cable twisting.

I might buy these. I'll wait for some reviews just to make sure the sound is as good as the jaybirds.

Fliesen

So i guess it's called wing tips from the descriptions.

In that pic i can see the cable more clearly. Yup, that makes sense. I always destroy my earphones because of cable twisting.

I might buy these. I'll wait for some reviews just to make sure the sound is as good as the jaybirds.
yeah, these are what they call 'wingtips'

which is weird, since the beatsX seem to be based on the urBeats line
and those do not come with wingtips.

Fliesen

the verge said:
Looks just like an iPhone 6 in a case

i can't wait for when phones have reached the point where "omg it looks like the phone we had 2 years ago" isn't a thing anymore.

The real bummer is the fact that it's basically the same shape as the 6, but the new camera bump makes it incompatible with most iPhone 6 cases.
Otherwise, sticking to the same form factor would be a plus, seeing as you'll be able to pick from a vibrant market of third party accessories and cases, right from when the phone is released.

Rasec46

Neo Member
yeah, these are what they call 'wingtips'

which is weird, since the beatsX seem to be based on the urBeats line

and those do not come with wingtips.

That's why i thought they wouldn't come with the wingtips.
And in the site pics they don't show it. But they're there on the description you showed.

It seems it will still take a bit until they're release.

Time to read. Still didn't decide if i should get a 7 Plus black mate 128. I've been on the iphone 5 since it came out. xD

Most important thing to me is something that would have a killer battery and by my main youtube and music machine. Also to super hexagon all the time. xD

Fliesen

That's why i thought they wouldn't come with the wingtips.
And in the site pics they don't show it. But they're there on the description you showed.

It seems it will still take a bit until they're release.

Time to read. Still didn't decide if i should get a 7 Plus black mate 128. I've been on the iphone 5 since it came out. xD

Most important thing to me is something that would have a killer battery and by my main youtube and music machine. Also to super hexagon all the time. xD

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/0...at-annual-upgrades-with-one-major-catch/5/#h6

TheZink

my carrier sent around an email last night saying orders were delayed, but to ignore the email if it's a pre-order but also changed my tracking to order out of date. amazing, utterly amazing customer service.
I just checked my ups and it says delayed but you just gave me hope.

giga

Nilay on the home button and taptic engine:

The iPhone 7’s new home button will elicit instant reaction from people; it’s much more different than you might think. The button no longer moves at all — it’s totally solid, just like newer MacBook trackpads. A linear vibration unit that Apple calls the Taptic Engine jolts when you apply pressure to the button, tricking your brain into feeling a click. It’s nothing like the clumsy haptic feedback on other phones, which I’ve always disliked — it really does feel like a click.

This system works tremendously well on MacBooks, but on the iPhone 7 it feels like the entire bottom of the phone is clicking, not like you’re pushing a button. You can set the haptic feedback to one of three force settings that make it feel like a harder or stronger click, but it’s definitely still strange, especially if the phone is lying down on a table instead of in your hand and you can see that you’re just pushing against nothing.

I’m sort of okay with all this, but other people who’ve tried my review units really don’t like it. There’s something about a really great button, and the iPhone home button was an all-time great button. Apple says it switched up the home button to make it more customizable and more durable — there’s a lot of people with the software button floating around their iPhone screens — but it’ll take some adjustment to really get used to. You’ll have to try it to decide for yourself.

The Taptic Engine also adds all sorts of other fun feedback to iOS 10 — when you drop the notification shade down, the phone does a little bump, for example. It makes it feel like the software on the screen has real weight and inertia, and I love it. Third-party apps can use the Taptic Engine as well, and I’m really hoping the industry adds support faster than the slow, somewhat muted rollout of not-very-useful 3D Touch support. Taptic Engine feedback is the first really valuable new UI concept I’ve seen on phones in years, while 3D Touch always seemed like more of a gimmick. It’s strange that the iPhone 6S won’t get these features even though it has a Taptic Engine; Apple says the unit in the iPhone 7 has been revised and made more precise, but it’s still an odd omission.

Gruber review takes the opposite view: http://daringfireball.net/2016/09/the_iphones_7

The new home buttons don’t feel like actual button clicks at all. It feels like the iPhone is clicking, not the button. This was especially disconcerting at first. In the hands-on area at the event last week, when everyone was experiencing it for the first time, reaction was overwhelmingly negative. Five days later, I’m getting used to it. But I don’t think I’ll ever like it as much as the actual clicking Touch ID home button on the iPhones 5S through 6S.

iOS offers three settings for haptic feedback on home button clicks. Apple labels them 1, 2, and 3. They correspond to low, medium, high. Medium is the default, but you get to choose during the initial first run on-boarding process. I think I prefer the highest setting, 3.

The first few days I was using these phones, I found myself accidentally triggering Reachability a few times per day. That’s the feature where you tap — not click, tap — the home button twice to bring the top of the screen to the bottom, to make it easier to each tap targets at the top of the screen. It only happened to me once today, so I think I’m getting used to it. (I never use Reachability, but I didn’t want to disable it (yet) because I wanted to see if it was a problem that would go away as I acclimated to the new home button.

This new home button is the one and only thing about the iPhone 7 that I don’t like. Why would Apple do this? It does remove one more potential point of ingress, improving water resistance. But the power and volume buttons are still actual buttons, and the iPhone 7 is IP67 water resistant. To me, it feels worse, not better. I could wind up in the minority on this point, but hands-on room feedback was on my side, and, well, I consider myself a connoisseur of button clickiness.

OK, really jealous of the new taptic engine:

The new Taptic Engine is cool. Here’s my favorite use so far: the spinning controls for things like picking a date or time (say, setting an alarm in the Clock app) now feels like a real spinner. It’s uncanny. I can’t wait to see how developers use these APIs.

Rasec46

Neo Member

Damn the SE is a beast. xD

It seems the iphone 7 battery is quite good.
The thing i wouldn't like on my i5 is that if i decided to play some games i easily burned 30-40% on 2 hours and then i couldn't do anything with it the rest of the day.

Hard to decide between the portability of the 7 or the battery of the 7+! xD
But i guess the 7+ will have a longer lifespan in terms of battery health and having the extra ram might help in the future.

robotrock

Banned
I'm still worried about fit. Everyone's ears are different. I wish there was a way to try them without buying but that would be nasty.
Yeah same. These impressions seem to imply they fit well but definitely not dropping the cash until they're out.
aZfc5AB.png

How did this happen Engadget

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Glad I stayed away from the piano black.
People saying the phone was scratched within a few days.

Top Bottom