• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

SeanR1221

Got a text from a friend who called in, AppleCare told her that they've been adding more stock at the stores to reserve on launch day. So I check and that is correct! I was able to reserve a Black Plus 256 about an hour ago for pickup at 10 AM on the 16th! Check the reservation site again, see what they got

You're right! Got a matte black plus 128 at my second closest store 😬😬😬.

Impulsor

I've never owned an iPhone and have always wanted to try one.

I always get kinda jealous on an iPhone release and feel like I'm missing out.

I just bought the S7 Edge when it came out but I'm on the verge of biting the bullet with the 7 plus.

Can anyone here, that has used both android and IOS extensively, give me some input on how different the experience is? and is it worth it to change, regardless of mobile phone?

I just bought the S7 Edge when it came out but I'm on the verge of biting the bullet with the 7 plus.

Can anyone here, that has used both android and IOS extensively, give me some input on how different the experience is? and is it worth it to change, regardless of mobile phone?
Android is much more customisable and has a number of benefits, but since swapping from as s4 to an iPhone I've much preferred iOS. A lot of it comes down to preference, it isn't as customisable but I much prefer it as an OS.

Silentium

Used to be an Android user (Nexus 4), switched to an iPhone 6 and haven't looked back. The hardware is second to none and the software experience is (for the most part) excellent - well thought out and with plenty of features.

Biggest tip I'd give is don't try to fight iOS, if you want to have a good time, you'll need to be prepared to adjust your workflow to match how Apple has designed iOS.

Just talked to a guy from AT&T and I asked if there was any chance that my estimated delivery date (Sept 29th-Oct 6th) would be moved up and he said there was a chance but he couldn't make any promises. I asked him to give me an estimate and he said there was about a 20-30% chance of it arriving sooner than my estimated date.

Impulsor

Android is much more customisable and has a number of benefits, but since swapping from as s4 to an iPhone I've much preferred iOS. A lot of it comes down to preference, it isn't as customisable but I much prefer it as an OS.

Used to be an Android user (Nexus 4), switched to an iPhone 6 and haven't looked back. The hardware is second to none and the software experience is (for the most part) excellent - well thought out and with plenty of features.

Biggest tip I'd give is don't try to fight iOS, if you want to have a good time, you'll need to be prepared to adjust your workflow to match how Apple has designed iOS.

thanks guys.

I'm completely prepared to not fight the OS, I don't really use all the benefits android has anyways. I always feel like I don't really take advantage of the phone I own.

Another thing.

IS it necessarry to have a screen protector on these phones? I never use screen protector, just a case, no problems whatsoever.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

Have a Samsung Note with stock rom and even tried custom roms. I find Android experience simply annoying now to go back to after while shit starts to show UI lag which I find the most annoying shit ever and the "custom" shit I can do on Android these days I can pretty much find the App I want to do the same thing on iOS. I don't care for custom themes or the like I'd rather an OS that is well optimised for the underlaying hardware which iOS offers and Droid simply can't get close to due to being an "open" platform.

Also, when it comes to straight performance Apples custom chips have been giving it to Droid phones for a while now. The only people that say otherwise don't understand how chip design works and claim more ram + cores = better when in-fact that is far from the case and don't take into account a lot of factors.

People are free to use what the prefer no doubt that is what makes the market healthy but I personally don't see myself going back to droid phone in the future.

IS it necessarry to have a screen protector on these phones? I never use screen protector, just a case, no problems whatsoever.

No. I never had one on my iPhone 6 and when I sold it screen looked perfect.

I've never not gotten an iPhone on launch day so I apologize for this dumb question: I'm about to pre-order on Apple's website. The delivery says October 7th-13th. If I pre-order and then happen to get one before that one ships (by walking in the store and purchasing one should they have it in stock), can I cancel my pre-order free of charge? Will I lose the money on the sales tax that I'm paying? Thanks, guys!

How does that work with Next? They can't be giving full retail price on a 7 for trading in a 6?
Here, the att section explains it. But it's essentially like every carrier, it's a "soft" 2 year agreement.
I've never not gotten an iPhone on launch day so I apologize for this dumb question: I'm about to pre-order on Apple's website. The delivery says October 7th-13th. If I pre-order and then happen to get one before that one ships (by walking in the store and purchasing one should they have it in stock), can I cancel my pre-order free of charge? Will I lose the money on the sales tax that I'm paying? Thanks, guys!
Nope, assuming you've got an Apple Store near you you'll get a complete refund. If you don't the only the only thing you may have to pay for is return shipping and you might not even need to pay that.

derder

I was told on the phone that it's not charged until it's preparing for shipment. She actually advised me to try this.

I'll be doing this myself on Friday.

derder

I've been a Nexus user since the Nexus S and have upgraded every year. I'm hoping to do a pretty big writeup about switching to the iPhone 7 from the 6P.

You should be able to get close to your money back on swappa if you don't like the iPhone 7.

I was told on the phone that it's not charged until it's preparing for shipment. She actually advised me to try this.

I'll be doing this myself on Friday.

Awesome. I appreciate the help, thanks! Just placed my order. Hopefully I'll be able to snag one Friday. Good luck to you :)

Impulsor

Have a Samsung Note with stock rom and even tried custom roms. I find Android experience simply annoying now to go back to after while shit starts to show UI lag which I find the most annoying shit ever and the "custom" shit I can do on Android these days I can pretty much find the App I want to do the same thing on iOS. I don't care for custom themes or the like I'd rather an OS that is well optimised for the underlaying hardware which iOS offers and Droid simply can't get close to due to being an "open" platform.

Also, when it comes to straight performance Apples custom chips have been giving it to Droid phones for a while now. The only people that say otherwise don't understand how chip design works and claim more ram + cores = better when in-fact that is far from the case and don't take into account a lot of factors.

People are free to use what the prefer no doubt that is what makes the market healthy but I personally don't see myself going back to droid phone in the future.

No. I never had one on my iPhone 6 and when I sold it screen looked perfect.

I've been a Nexus user since the Nexus S and have upgraded every year. I'm hoping to do a pretty big writeup about switching to the iPhone 7 from the 6P.

You should be able to get close to your money back on swappa if you don't like the iPhone 7.

Thanks all for the valuable input.

I'm moving to iOS for my phone as well. Have had an iPad for the past few years and always had an iPod touch until Spotify was introduced here. Still pretty apprehensive about the first few weeks of getting used to always having iOS.

I find it a little odd/interesting that none of the initial reviews I read contained impressions on the wide color gamut display. I'm wondering if it's just not that noticeable, or if it's because apps/websites don't actually contain WCG content at this point?

kaskade

I find it a little odd/interesting that none of the initial reviews I read contained impressions on the wide color gamut display. I'm wondering if it's just not that noticeable, or if it's because apps/websites don't actually contain WCG content at this point?

I'm surprised too. I saw one mentioning that the camera had it meaning they would show on the phone with better colors (think that was from tech crunch). I was curious about it too though. I figured it would be a nice screen upgrade to make it pop a little more.

Waiting list on Rogers slowly ticking down...but so slowly I can't tell if they are shipping phones or people are bailing out of the line.

Somehow I get the impression I may have to wait in a line on Friday...

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
my att order said 9/30-10/7 shipping estimate. just got tracking # for delivery this friday o_O

DOWN

Banned
Been following the UPS (my iPhones have always arrived by FedEx on launch day so I'm confused?) reference trick and mine just left ZhengZhou, China

come thru

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
News if you're an Upgrade Program member.

I originally tried to reserve a phone within 90 minutes of pre-orders starting, but unless I wanted a 32 or 256 7 plus in Rose Gold there were no reservations available at any stores in the DC area.

This morning, for grins, I tried going through the upgrade process again, and lo and behold I was able to make a reservation on Friday with no issues at all. The only configs unavailable that I could tell were the new Piano Black color. I reserved a black 7 plus with 128 on AT&T and reservation windows were available for most of Friday at two separate stores.

So it looks like they've scheduled another big shipment for 9/16, at least for Upgrade Program members.

Edit: And lo and behold, shortly after I posted this I got an email from Apple acknowledging that I'd been unable to make a reservation and saying they've added more reservation times. Here's the text of the e-mail:

Apple said:
If you tried to upgrade through the iPhone Upgrade Program, you may have had difficulty reserving a new iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus due to high demand. We’ve made two important changes to help you.
We’ve added more reservation times for this Friday, September 16.
Simply confirm your eligibility and then see if the model you want will be available at an Apple Store near you. Please note that there are no reservations available to pick up the jet black model on Friday.
Tell us which iPhone you want and we’ll let you know when it’s in.
If you’re still unable to reserve the model you want for pickup on Friday, let us know your preference by completing this short form. We’ll contact you within 48 to 72 hours to let you know when your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus will be available for in-store pickup after Friday, September 16.
Please note that some models may have longer delivery estimates than others. Also, if you have more than one iPhone eligible for an upgrade, you may receive this email more than once.
Thank you for being part of the iPhone Upgrade Program. We appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the upgrade experience.
Sincerely,
Apple Support

My phone is in Louisville. Be nice if it got here (Iowa) tomorrow...

ALSO AS A REMINDER - To see shipping before you even get an email:
Go here: https://www.ups.com/WebTracking/reference?loc=en_US
Use your cell phone number as the "Shipment Reference"
Enter your zip code.

I still have yet to get a shipping email but my phone is indeed in Kentucky.

Doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm in the 9/16 batch according to AT&T.

tommyguns

Apple leather case in black for my iPhone 7 will arrive today! Picking up my iPhone 7 on Friday in store at 11 AM. (Pre -ordered of course)

Excited and nervous to move form the size of a Nexus 6P to normal iPhone 7.

So does anyone have any tips for how best to handle the launch if you don't have a preorder? Should I arrive the night before or early in the AM or am I crazy to assume they might have a phone for me?

My reservation was screwed up with my carrier so my in store pick up was canceled. Tried going into the Apple store and its out of their hands, tried calling Apple and same thing.

So I'm camping I guess

icespide

Banned
for watch owners trading in their phone. how are you migrating your watch? unpair it before you trade it in so it creates a back up and then pair it to the new phone?

snacknuts

we all knew her

I've owned three iPhones (a 3GS, a 4S, and a 6S) and an iPad. I am deep into Google's ecosystem and strongly prefer Android over iOS, but if you're just doing normal stuff on your phone an iPhone should be fine. My biggest gripes about iOS:
  • You can't set default apps for things. If you would rather have address links open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps, too fucking bad.
  • The iOS keyboard sucks, and the implementation of third-party keyboards sucks.
  • I am reliant on Google Voice and it is basically unusable on iOS. If you don't use GV, you can safetly ignore this point.
  • Sharing information between apps is miles behind Android's ability to do this.

There are more niggling gripes, but whatever. Apple makes nice hardware and I would be happy to have an iPhone that ran Android, but iOS will, for the foreseeable future, keep me from ever going back to Apple phones. (But I love OSX and am posting this from my MBP.) As a previous poster mentioned, if you can avoid fighting the OS, you'll be fine. I can't.

Impulsor

I've owned three iPhones (a 3GS, a 4S, and a 6S) and an iPad. I am deep into Google's ecosystem and strongly prefer Android over iOS, but if you're just doing normal stuff on your phone an iPhone should be fine. My biggest gripes about iOS:
  • You can't set default apps for things. If you would rather have address links open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps, too fucking bad.
  • The iOS keyboard sucks, and the implementation of third-party keyboards sucks.
  • I am reliant on Google Voice and it is basically unusable on iOS. If you don't use GV, you can safetly ignore this point.
  • Sharing information between apps is miles behind Android's ability to do this.

There are more niggling gripes, but whatever. Apple makes nice hardware and I would be happy to have an iPhone that ran Android, but iOS will, for the foreseeable future, keep me from ever going back to Apple phones. (But I love OSX and am posting this from my MBP.) As a previous poster mentioned, if you can avoid fighting the OS, you'll be fine. I can't.

I do not like that you can't set default apps for things.

The keyboard isn't really a problem for me, but that could change with use, so I could find myself missing SwiftKey, which I absolutely love.

I don't use Google voice at all.

What do you exactly mean with your last point? Can you give me an example?

I'm really interested in your point of view, can you tell me anything more you have on Android and don't like on iOS in comparison?

Thanks a lot!

So my order is going through FedEx, AT&T site changed to "shipped", and it's sitting in Forth Worth, TX, still on schedule for 9/16.

cr.png

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Finally figured it out for Canadians.

go to ups.com, track by reference, put destination country as Canada, LEAVE YOUR POSTAL CODE BLANK, and put in your billing address phone number, not shipping address phone number, and it'll come back.

Mine's left Shanghai yesterday.

snacknuts

we all knew her
What do you exactly mean with your last point? Can you give me an example?

Sharing information between apps is miles behind Android's ability to do this.

Android uses what it calls an "intents" system wherein different apps announce what kind of information they can accept.Here are a couple examples:
  • Let's say I take a picture on my phone. I open the photo in my gallery and click the Share option. On Android, I get a list of all the apps on my phone that can accept image sharing, and so I can easily share to all of them without having to jump through any hoops (see screenshot from my phone).
  • If I am watching a YouTube video on my phone and click the share button, I get a list of all the apps I can use to capture the YouTube URL. Might be WhatsApp, email, clipboard, etc.
It is entirely possible that iOS has gotten better in this regard since I last used it, but in my experience you get a much shorter list of options for sharing information. For instance, instead of sharing directly to Prisma from an image, on iOS I would have to open Prisma and then pull a specific image in. It seems like a minor difference, but I find Apple's method of handling this to be needlessly restrictive and inconvenient.

I'm really interested in your point of view, can you tell me anything more you have on Android and don't like on iOS in comparison?

Thanks a lot!
  • I don't like that iOS doesn't have any kind of file browser.
  • Somewhat related to that, I think iCloud sucks.
  • I think the OSX/iOS integration thing is wildly overrated. As a long-time Mac user, I have found I can achieve just about all the same conveniences between an Android device and any computer I might be using with various Google services. And then I'm not restricted to certain groups of hardware at any point.
  • I hate that iOS doesn't have any sort of launcher and that all of your apps have to be, in some way or another, puked up across your different home screens. I also live by an agenda widget on the home screen of my phone, and I hate that I can't have widgets of any kind on iOS home screens.

That's off the top of my head. I am not suggesting that iOS is bad, it's just bad for me and the way I use my phone.

SuperPac

Sharing information between apps is miles behind Android's ability to do this.

Android uses what it calls an "intents" system wherein different apps announce what kind of information they can accept.Here are a couple examples:
  • Let's say I take a picture on my phone. I open the photo in my gallery and click the Share option. On Android, I get a list of all the apps on my phone that can accept image sharing, and so I can easily share to all of them without having to jump through any hoops (see screenshot from my phone).
  • If I am watching a YouTube video on my phone and click the share button, I get a list of all the apps I can use to capture the YouTube URL. Might be WhatsApp, email, clipboard, etc.

iOS does this via the share sheet and when watching a YouTube video on your phone you can click the share button and get a list of things to do with it (on iOS YouTube you have to click "More" to get the full share sheet, but that's Google's implementation of that - it is there). You can do that with any app and share any link to almost any service or notes app as long as the developers have made it able to accept that info.

It is entirely possible that iOS has gotten better in this regard since I last used it, but in my experience you get a much shorter list of options for sharing information. For instance, instead of sharing directly to Prisma from an image, on iOS I would have to open Prisma and then pull a specific image in. It seems like a minor difference, but I find Apple's method of handling this to be needlessly restrictive and inconvenient.

Yeah I'm not sure why Prisma doesn't do this on iOS - I'm fairly certain it could with the share sheet. Instagram does, flickr, Snapchat, etc. Not many photo editors do. They could have also provided editing tools right in the Photos app, but they don't do that either.

snacknuts

we all knew her
iOS does this via the share sheet and when watching a YouTube video on your phone you can click the share button and get a list of things to do with it (on iOS YouTube you have to click "More" to get the full share sheet, but that's Google's implementation of that - it is there). You can do that with any app and share any link to almost any service or notes app as long as the developers have made it able to accept that info.

Good to know, thank you.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I despise how Apple uses UPS to ship to me. UPS sucks when delivering to my house, they don't get hear until late in the evening. While FedEx on the other hand gets hear sometimes in the morning and mostly in the early afternoon.

-d0hv

hwalker84

Honestly the removal of the headphone jack is no big deal for me and my use. What I am sad to have not seen is support for faster charging methods. Still pissed my 3am preorder isn't set to ship until the 23rd or 30th.

Been keeping up with stock situations over on MacRumors since it appears there is barely any movement from people who ordered the 256 matte black Plus from AT&T. Was thinking about trying retail, but Apple Stores apparently have very little walk in due to reservations and the upgrade program, and AT&T stores are barely getting any Plus stock. Slowly accepting my Day 1 iPhone streak will be ending soon.

DOWN

Banned
Honestly the removal of the headphone jack is no big deal for me and my use. What I am sad to have not seen is support for faster charging methods. Still pissed my 3am preorder isn't set to ship until the 23rd or 30th.
And you know about 10w chargers vs the ones that come with the phone?

Top Bottom