• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Blablurn

Went to my local Apple Store in Beijing and they said, unless you have a reservarion, it doesn't make sense to come on Friday.

The thirst is real :S

Triz

I did it GAF...Preordered the 7+ 256gb model. Upgrading my dinosaur iPhone 6 128gb. Looks like Ill get it sometime Mid October.

There is no way to reserve a phone online for IUP on T-Mobile, right?
No, but you should be able to preorder it for store pickup then head to store tell them you'd like to return said iPhone and rebuy it on the iUP.

Starting to worry that my 6S won't sell on swappa before Friday, I really don't want to trade in for what I assume won't be worth what Apple is giving.

FinKL

No, but you should be able to preorder it for store pickup then head to store tell them you'd like to return said iPhone and rebuy it on the iUP.

Starting to worry that my 6S won't sell on swappa before Friday, I really don't want to trade in for what I assume won't be worth what Apple is giving.

Pretty sure we're outta luck if looking at the 7+, but this is what I plan to do with a 7.

manakel

I don't think there is anything in life that would tempt me to stand outside in a line days prior.

Who would've thought like 15 years ago that phones would be the MUST have gadget that people go insane over.

Still annoyed at the fact that the jet black iPhone 7+ pre-orders won't be fullfilled until the 26th at the earliest. I'm very impatient!

icespide

Banned
I ended up waiting in line 12 hours (3am to 3pm) to get an iPhone 4 way back in the day, never again.

It's not that I was so iPhone crazy, it was just, after 2 hours of waiting I'm like (I've waited 2 hours for this, it can't be for nothing. then 4 hours of waiting same logic, and so on until it was 3pm....

shit sucked

VertPin

I ended up waiting in line 12 hours (3am to 3pm) to get an iPhone 4 way back in the day, never again.

It's not that I was so iPhone crazy, it was just, after 2 hours of waiting I'm like (I've waited 2 hours for this, it can't be for nothing. then 4 hours of waiting same logic, and so on until it was 3pm....

shit sucked

I bet it's fun if you have three or four friends with you with plenty of food and water, portable batteries, etc. A tent and change of clothes too.

I'd do that.

Going by yourself? Forget that.

Mobius 1

I've waited 2 hours once, I think for iPhone 3G. Even then I felt stupid and only stuck around because I had company that kept my self-cringe factor at bay with conversation. Not something I would enjoy doing again.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think I'm just going to pre-order a 256 GB Matte Black 7+ online. I doubt that I can get one in store next week and I honestly hate going to stores outside of groceries these days to be honest (doesn't help that my local Apple store has a horrible setup either).

VertPin

I'm curious as to how the jet black will feel in the hand. It's aluminum like the other models, so it should be cool to the touch. However, I'm not sure what they use to make it "Jet Black" and how that feels. I wonder if it's still cool to the touch?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Anyone have any tips for Store Pickup at apple store on launch day? I have an appointment at 8:30 but if I show up earlier will they let me get mine?

Bgamer90

Banned
I had a 3GS seven years ago -- I had to put a case on it due to how slippery it got. I'm staying far away from the Jet Black. I would get Rose Gold before getting Jet Black.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I don't think there is anything in life that would tempt me to stand outside in a line days prior.

Who would've thought like 15 years ago that phones would be the MUST have gadget that people go insane over.

it's not really even much a phone though anymore. It's most people's primary computing device.

Still processing with an ETA of mid October. Sigh, it'd be nice to get one on release date just once. I remember ordering the 6 once preorders opened and it took 2 months to get it.

SFenton

Ordered a 128 GB gold 7+.

Ships by 10/12, so I've plenty of time to go research the OS and prepare to move all my stuff off Android to Apple.

Red

Someone contacted me about buying my 6s plus if I unlock it, but my backup phone would not activate and I have not been able to restore (T-Mobile apparently requires a full reset of the phone to unlock it). I am going to try and nab my in-law's old 5 tonight, so I hope the buyer is still interested.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I had a 3GS seven years ago -- I had to put a case on it due to how slippery it got. I'm staying far away from the Jet Black. I would get Rose Gold before getting Jet Black.

Thanks for your input, materials expert.

icespide

Banned
all of the impressions I've read have actually said that the jet black iPhone feels grippier and less slippery than the other ones

Matte black looks solid in person--very slick and prob my overall fav of the bunch. Just more practical vs beautiful scratchy jet black. The home button feels off on first impression, though I have not spent any time with the MacBook touchpad. I'm sure I'd get used to it. Camera is wild, the front-facing cam is noticeably better too.

Overall though I think I'm gonna wait out a year for the next iteration. This really doesn't feel like that big of a leap for me. And I hear next year is gonna be huge for the iPhone.

E: jet black feels like a window, yes. Felt great in the hand, just scared of the scratches :/

DOWN

Banned
all of the impressions I've read have actually said that the jet black iPhone feels grippier and less slippery than the other ones
Same. They said similar to dragging your hands on a MacBook vs a glass window. Your hand stick hard on a window but can brush smoothly across the matte metallic surface of a MacBook.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
Jet Black Does look nice. But the ammount of fingerprints and scratches it will collect makes me a bit wearie...

This is the key. There's no doubt Jet Black looks amazing -- however if you're OCD about scratches and prints it's a no go. Since putting this in a case kind of defeats the purpose of having a Jet Black phone, it's for folks who are ok going naked and not OCD. With those caveats, it's clearly the best looking device out there.

KingKong

So if I sign up for one of those upgrade plans, make payments for a year and switch, do I have to make payments for another year or for two more years?

If you ever need to deal with a fraud alert on your credit report because someone stole your identity and want to use the iPhone Upgrade Program to get your phone, good luck. I still can't order one. Citizen's One needs more info to approve the loan because of the fraud alert, which is fine. They were supposed to call me Friday, no call. I call them Saturday, they say the appropriate people will call you Monday. Monday rolls around, no call. I call again today and the guy says they'll escalate it to the proper channels ans they'll call today to get it resolved, they didn't call. I missed out on a launch day iPhone 7 Plus because of this mess and at this point I can't even order a phone at all using the iUP. I mean sure, I could buy it outright like I did my 6s Plus, but it's the principal of things. Apple can't help, Citizen's One refuses to help and doesn't seem to care enough to just take care of me by transferring me to someone who can help one of the 3 times I've called them in the past 6 days. What a mess.

/end rant

Fletcher

People following shipments and tracking numbers, look like my surprise deliveries tomorrow? I remember when I preordered the 4 and they delivered them a day early.

lol just took a survey from Apple and it was all about which ports I used on my MacBook Pro

JW6rOrC.jpg

yLNRayR.jpg

xLkRjKc.jpg

RIP in peace headphone port

So I just decided to bite the bullet. If I preorder to have it shipped, can I pick it up in store instead if I happen to come across a store with stock?

Out 1

Canceled my matte black preorder earlier this week. Will try to get the jet black model (regular 7) on Friday. Am I delusional?

Enzom21

Canceled my matte black preorder earlier this week. Will try to get the jet black model (regular 7) on Friday. Am I delusional?

Maybe...
https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/14/apple-iphone-7-reservation-iphone-upgrade-program-stock-walk-ins/
We’ve also learned that most Apple retail stores will have very limited or no stock of iPhone 7 units this year. In a change from previous iPhone launches, many Apple retail stores won’t have stock of iPhone 7 reserved for customers lining up for launch day later this week on September 16. Instead, customers will be mostly limited to stock of iPhone 7 available to order online.

Trying my luck at a Verizon corporate store on Fri. Had no problems getting the 6 two years ago just showing up 15 min early. I live in a small town though. Still can't believe I'll get $650 in credits for my two-year old phone. I think two years ago I traded in my old iPhone for some huge amount too.

DarkJC

So I just decided to bite the bullet. If I preorder to have it shipped, can I pick it up in store instead if I happen to come across a store with stock?

Yep, just cancel your online order if you pick one up in store. Or worst case, if it's already shipped to you, just return it for full refund.

Red

Got an old 5S up and running while I wait for a 7. I think I got my 6s plus unlocked... I stuck a Verizon SIM in there and am able to call *99 and 611. Any personal number is dropped instantly, but the SIM is not on an active plan so I expect that. iTunes never gave me a "phone unlocked" message after I restored. Anyone know another way I could check on my unlock status? Since I can get through to 611, does that mean it's working?

Top Bottom