• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Hey y'all! Quick question about Apple Care.

So I ordered my phone through T-Mobile and want to get insurance for the phone. Can I walk into an Apple Store and add Apple Care to the 7 and what's the time frame. Don't really want to get T-Mo insurance and paying $40 or whatever for a screen replacement is better than paying the $150 for T-Mo.

Thanks!

You have 30 days at least. Think it may be 2 months now. You can also do it over the phone. It's pretty painless. I'd recommend it.

Le-mo

I'm switching back to iPhone after a long hiatus. The last iPhone that I owned was the 4s. My phone is coming tomorrow but I have one lingering question. If I enable iCloud on my iPhone will all my photos automatically get uploaded to the cloud? And if it does when I decide to delete the photos off of my phone will the photos still be on my iCloud?

At T-Mobile they told me they won't sell to anyone not on the network. I honestly don't know about Verizon. Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense - theirs is the only unlocked iPhone 7 on the market.

All phones that Apple sells for full price come unlocked. I've been pricing out models on their site and all for all four carriers, when purchasing a phone at full price, the site says it's unlocked on the summary page.

Sweet. Just bought a jet black 256 gig Plus on eBay for $1,100. It'll e here between Tuesday and Friday. I guess that's only $60 more than waiting 3 weeks for Best Buy.

99% chance this is a scam auction. The retail price after taxes is at least $1,000, and eBay + PayPal fees are $142.20 on an $1,100 price. Add in at least $10 for shipping with insurance and the seller is losing $52.20.

Hey y'all! Quick question about Apple Care.

So I ordered my phone through T-Mobile and want to get insurance for the phone. Can I walk into an Apple Store and add Apple Care to the 7 and what's the time frame. Don't really want to get T-Mo insurance and paying $40 or whatever for a screen replacement is better than paying the $150 for T-Mo.

Thanks!

You can do it in-store, over the phone, or online (but apparently online doesn't work). You have 60 days.

I'm switching back to iPhone after a long hiatus. The last iPhone that I owned was the 4s. My phone is coming tomorrow but I have one lingering question. If I enable iCloud on my iPhone will all my photos automatically get uploaded to the cloud? And if it does when I decide to delete the photos off of my phone will the photos still be on my iCloud?

There's different parts of iCloud. For iCloud backup, your Messages will be backed up, including attachments within them, and you have no way to control that. For photos in your Camera Roll, you can disable backup of them. If you disable them in the backup, you can still enable them in Photo Stream, which saves the last 1,000 across all iCloud devices you have.

If you delete any photos from your Photo Stream, they'll be deleted from the cloud across all devices, but not from your Camera Roll, which is where Photo Stream photos come from.

All phones that Apple sells for full price come unlocked. I've been pricing out models on their site and all for all four carriers, when purchasing a phone at full price, the site says it's unlocked on the summary

Yes, but until the SIM-free model comes out they have to be connected to a carrier account. Except the T-Mobile one, but if you grab that one you can't use it in Verizon or Sprint

V9xwYQn.jpg

Hey I could be getting scammed but everything is through eBay and PayPal so at least I'll have my ass covered!

What would be the best place to trade in my iPhone 5 in order to get the most trade-in value?

I don't know what model you have so I priced a 16gb black unlocked 5. You'll get $35 from NextWorth, $40 from Gazelle, $50 from Apple, and about $110 after fees and shipping from eBay.

Hey I could be getting scammed but everything is through eBay and PayPal so at least I'll have my ass covered!

The dude has 4 feedback. I would cancel ASAP.

The dude has 4 feedback. I would cancel ASAP.

As a follow up, he has another auction up for the same model. He says he's ordered 7. While that's technically possible (using a friend's account, having multiple upgrade lines available), the price he's selling them for is impossible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...954153?hash=item2ef4774a69:g:l58AAOSw-YVXmbwB

Do what you want but don't complain if there's problems.

Le-mo

There's different parts of iCloud. For iCloud backup, your Messages will be backed up, including attachments within them, and you have no way to control that. For photos in your Camera Roll, you can disable backup of them. If you disable them in the backup, you can still enable them in Photo Stream, which saves the last 1,000 across all iCloud devices you have.

If you delete any photos from your Photo Stream, they'll be deleted from the cloud across all devices, but not from your Camera Roll, which is where Photo Stream photos come from.
I don't know if I'm reading it correctly so if I enable backup on my Camera Roll to the cloud then I can delete the photos on my phone and my photos would still be on the cloud?

I don't know if I'm reading it correctly so if I enable backup on my Camera Roll to the cloud then I can delete the photos on my phone and my photos would still be on the cloud?

Yes, but you only have 5gb of free storage so if you're a shutterbug you would most likely need to buy a paid plan (still pretty cheap, for example 50gb for $1/month) to make sure you have enough room to store your Camera Roll. Photo Stream compresses images and videos but Camera Roll gets backed up at full uncompressed quality, so if you have a single 5 minute 4K video that's gonna take up over a gig in storage right there. And if you send that video to someone in Messages that's another gig. So just be mindful about what you're doing if you want to just use the free storage, or just pay a small fee to not have to really worry about it.

Le-mo

Yes, but you only have 5gb of free storage so if you're a shutterbug you would most likely need to buy a paid plan (still pretty cheap, for example 50gb for $1/month) to make sure you have enough room to store your Camera Roll. Photo Stream compresses images and videos but Camera Roll gets backed up at full uncompressed quality, so if you have a single 5 minute 4K video that's gonna take up over a gig in storage right there. And if you send that video to someone in Messages that's another gig. So just be mindful about what you're doing if you want to just use the free storage, or just pay a small fee to not have to really worry about it.
Thank you! That's what I wanted to know. Yah, I know about the paid plan and I'll definitely go that route since I bought the 32GB version and just wanted to make sure my photos would get save on my cloud if I decide to free up space on my phone.

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know. Yah, I know about the paid plan and I'll definitely go that route since I bought the 32GB version and just wanted to make sure my photos would get save on my cloud if I decide to free up space on my phone.

Here's some more information if you want to use iCloud Photo Library (different from Photo Stream). It counts against your iCloud storage but focuses specifically on Photos if you don't want to have to enable a full backup of your phone to back up the Camera Roll.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Here's some more information if you want to use iCloud Photo Library (different from Photo Stream). It counts against your iCloud storage but focuses specifically on Photos if you don't want to have to enable a full backup of your phone to back up the Camera Roll.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

I've always found iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream pretty confusing conceptually in terms of what gets distributed where, how and when Very Important Things get deleted or not, etc. Not sure the average consumer is going to figure it out without screwing stuff up first. Apple's current cloud photo solution seems way too complicated. I just leave all that turned off and back up manually to Photos on the Mac. They really need to take another pass at it and make it dead simple.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have finally come to terms of not upgrading my 6 this year and waiting until next year. I spent hours researching how I could do the trade in promo and upgrade next year but it's not worth the risk.

Enjoy you bastards!

I just decided the same.

Next year's upgrade is going to be spectacular and my 6 is still holding up beautifully. Zero complaints whatsoever. And I like getting a phone with a brand new design so the 7 series just isn't that mindblowing to me just yet. I'm getting an Apple Watch this year and a new iPhone next year.

But man, tech lust is ever present just looking at this thread.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Mine departed Orlando, FL a couple of hours ago. Now it's in the town next to me, right over the bridge. Hopefully that means UPS will deliver it early in the afternoon, instead of evening/night like they always do for my house. So excited, it's only a few miles away.

-d0hv

Fliesen

I just decided the same.

Next year's upgrade is going to be spectacular and my 6 is still holding up beautifully. Zero complaints whatsoever. And I like getting a phone with a brand new design so the 7 series just isn't that mindblowing to me just yet. I'm getting an Apple Watch this year and a new iPhone next year.

But man, tech lust is ever present just looking at this thread.

I'm in the same boat, but i decided to take a different course.
Replace my 6 with a 7 (i want 3D touch and a better camera so bad!) and If (and we're still talking about rumors) the upgrade next year is such a huge redesign, just upgrade again.
I couldn't imagine how disappointed i'd be if i had been holding out for the unicorn phone "iPhone 10 year anniversary edition", and Apple announced a regular iPhone 7S next year.

thenexus6

Do NOT buy iPhones through eBay.. Jesus $1000 is so much money to spend on eBay for something where you can't guarantee you're not going to get ripped off.

Whoyouare

Dang it. I think I screwed up. I was going to be out all day so I changed my pick up to the ups distribution center cause I was afraid they wouldn't leave it at my door. It didn't say it was out for delivery so I figured I was safe. For a moment it said delivery the 19th now it says unavailable.

Ughhh! Why did I have to change it?!

I have a silver iPhone 6. It's the worst color out of all of them. Just so bland and lifeless without any of the stealthy, sleek qualities of black.

It's the Hyundai minivan of phones.

Not being "stealthy" is why I'm finally going with something other than black/gray after so many years year. All of my furniture is dark, and I'm tired of having to hunt for my phone overtime I go out.

Although I guess since the 6s came out you can use Hey Siri all the time which might alleviate that issue.

My card finally got charged last night and order changed to "Preparing for Shipment". I have no idea what that really means since my ship date still displays 9/23rd delivery.

Top Bottom