• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Definitely gonna get my phone shipped next year, I figured I'd be able to walk in after preordering a pickup. I've been on line for close to an hour and my time slot has already passed:/

Are you waiting in the main line or did you go to the store and get in the pickup line?

At Nashua they've been lining up people for the next pickup but in general, you go check in.

Are you waiting in the main line or did you go to the store and get in the pickup line?

At Nashua they've been lining up people for the next pickup but in general, you go check in.
Pickup line, I thought I'd just get to walk right in.

I better not hear any crap with my extra stuff now; gonna return a watch band, return the phone to do iUP program and buy a watch.

LMAO now it's shipped with a tracking number and delivery tomorrow.

200_s.gif

Seattle, WA, United States 09/16/2016 6:10 A.M. Departure Scan

Time to finally have that perfect non-sim, podcast, and music device (256GB is sorely needed for me). Well.....because I accidentally dropped my phone from too big a height and the wifi/bluetooth is completely broken. Too much using my WP as an engineering device for me to be able to utilize it as a media/streaming device.

Fliesen

That's a shame. They nailed the feel on the macbook pro.

Any chance you can set the amount of feedback or force required in the settings somewhere?

there's 3 levels of 'taptic' feedback
The issue to most reviewers seems to be the fact that while on the Macbook, only the trackpad clicks/vibrates, on the iPhone pretty much the entire chin of the phone vibrates / clicks, which doesn't really feel like clicking a button.

Fliesen

I'd consider other colours than black if the front wasn't white. The white front looks terrible imo

the iPhone 5C was black in front, colored shell in back.

But seeing as we already got 5 colors, 3 capacities, 2 sizes = 30 (-2, because there's no jet black 32gb models) = 28

- i don't think Apple wants another dimension of (manufacturing) complexity to the table...

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's a shame. They nailed the feel on the macbook pro.

Any chance you can set the amount of feedback or force required in the settings somewhere?

Yeah you can change it, three intensities. But doesn't change the fact that it feels just like a general force touch rumble, not specific to the button.

Whereas with MacBook my brain refuses to accept the button isn't actually clicking, it's that real.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah you can change it, three intensities. But doesn't change the fact that it feels just like a general force touch rumble, not specific to the button.

Whereas with MacBook my brain refuses to accept the button isn't actually clicking, it's that real.

Ew, that sounds like the ancient LG Viewty I had back in the day. The worst phone ever made.

Let's hope they nail it on the next iteration.

I still wonder how are people able to afford iPhones that are nearly $1,000?

The most popular of the two sizes are the Plus size and the most popular storage option is 128GB. That's like $940 after tax in my area.

I'm used to paying $299 for Nexus 4. There are options on Amazon to buy a Moto G4 for $99.

sangreal

sounds like every old android phone

they removed the 3.5mm for this?

Couleurs

Installment plans.

Plus trading in/selling your previous iPhone since they hold their value so well. For the example this time pretty much every carrier was offering $650 credit for 6/6S trades toward 7 purchases. Even if you don't want to wait for statement credits, you can easily sell elsewhere for a few hundred dollars.

I've always found iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream pretty confusing conceptually in terms of what gets distributed where, how and when Very Important Things get deleted or not, etc. Not sure the average consumer is going to figure it out without screwing stuff up first. Apple's current cloud photo solution seems way too complicated. I just leave all that turned off and back up manually to Photos on the Mac. They really need to take another pass at it and make it dead simple.

Agreed, it's a mess.

The most popular of the two sizes are the Plus size and the most popular storage option is 128GB. That's like $940 after tax in my area.

I'm used to paying $299 for Nexus 4. There are options on Amazon to buy a Moto G4 for $99.

There's trade-ins, but the reality is most can't if they were honest with themselves. They do financing or installment plans thinking they're saving money. That's why tons of people are in debt.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Mine is here! Just updating to 10.0.1 before I do my iCloud restore.

longest incremental OS update ever :p

That's why I don't do a new iphone every year. I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to this 7, and I bought it outright for two reasons:

1) I'm on a carrier that doesn't officially sell iPhones (WIND)
2) I hate contracts, and you end up paying more over the course of a subsidy payment on said contract.

So, I'm rocking my iPhone 7 with unlimited data and all that jazz for $30/mo.

I don't anticipate updating until probably the iPhone 9 or 10 at this point.

Agreed, it's a mess.

There's trade-ins, but the reality is most can't if they were honest with themselves. They do financing or installment plans thinking they're saving money. That's why tons of people are in debt.

$940 is a pretty penny. If I do the trade in, then that'll be $540 after 24 months. That's if I pay another $69 to replace my iPhone 5s screen.

I wonder if I should spend the $940 on a camera instead or anything else.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Fun Fact:

When you set up your phone for the first time and you have to update to 10.0.1, selecting "restore from icloud backup" does nothing, because the update 'forgets' that you chose that option before it pinged for said update.

From what I read on 9to5Mac, the belief is that this is just a stopgap until the button disappears completely next year and the entire screen (or possible the bottom third) is a button/fingerprint sensor.

Brooklyn, NY, United States 09/16/2016 2:32 A.M. Out For Delivery

7QYm4wz.gif

That's a hell of a way to make garlic bread.

Tried the lightning->3.5mm adapter on my 6 and it's much louder with my IEMs than the 3.5mm jack ever was. I think it sounds better, too. It might be providing more power to properly drive them.
Or just a Placebo Effect.

that's the walk in line. reservation line is just 6 people deep

Apparently they were doing less reservations and more walk-ins this time. Last year I did the IUP and the reservation line was 40 people. They had the appointments two deep so you were sitting around waiting for a person if you weren't one of the first 20 in the appointment line. I like it better this time around.

Retroid

The tracking said "Your shipment is scheduled to arrive today after the delivery commitment time" and the scheduled delivery changed from today to "Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later" but I just got the package :)

robotrock

Banned
Tried the lightning->3.5mm adapter on my 6 and it's much louder with my IEMs than the 3.5mm jack ever was. I think it sounds better, too. It might be providing more power to properly drive them.
Or just a Placebo Effect.

Do a comparison with the new EarPods vs the old EarPods via the lightning to 3.5mm adapter. iPhone 6 or 7 your pick

Clipse

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Best Buy to start stocking official Apple leather/silicon cases for new phones?

I'd buy them straight from Apple, but I won't be getting my phones until late October and the Best Buy points would be nice to have.

Top Bottom